4.0 out of 5 stars A thorough introduction for parents.
Published on Feb. 15 2004 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Sign with your baby,Complete learning kit
I purchased this product thinking that I could use it right away, but according to the book, it only starts at 7 months. I wish I would have known that because I would have waited longer to purchase it.
It was delivered intact and accordingly, I was desapointed that the video in the box is a VHS and not a DVD. Unfortuantly, I dont own a VHS.
Published on Sept. 17 2010 by MelB

4.0 out of 5 stars A thorough introduction for parents., Feb. 15 2004
Amazon Customer "signingmom" (Villa Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Teaches PARENTS how to START signing with their hearing children, ages 6 months to 2 or 3 years. Based on American Sign Language. For children who already know a few signs or who already possess a healthy speaking vocabulary, allow me to suggest "Baby See n Sign" and "Signing Time" instead (click on "see more about me" above for my reviews on these two products). When my son was 11 months old, I received Joseph Garcia's "Sign with your Baby" complete learning kit as a gift; it included a video, book, and laminated quick reference guide. We even ordered an additional quick reference guide for Grandma and Grandpa. After viewing the video a couple of times and reading the book, my husband and I felt informed on the research that supported signing with hearing children; we felt equipped to correctly model the first three signs that we were to introduce (eat, milk, and more); and we knew, in general, how long it would take for our son to reciprocate those first signs. After what seemed like two long months of repetitive signing on Mom and Dad's part, our son began to crudely reproduce the signs on his own. It was so cool to watch!! Again, I turned to Joseph Garcia's "Sign with your Baby" video to choose the next signs I'd introduce (we chose bath, banana, apple, telephone, and juice). It was at this time that I became disappointed with what the product offered. The alphabetical "Sign with your Baby" vocabulary on the video was tedious to fast forward and rewind through, and I felt the vocabulary would've been better presented in categories such as food, animals, everyday verbs, opposites (i.e. big/small, hot/cold), etc.; the alphabetical listing was virtually useless to me and entirely useless to my son because there were no pictures to go along with the signs. And so I went in search of additional resources. After reading EVERY SINGLE review I could find on signing video products at amazon.com, I decided on "Baby See n Sign" Volume 1 and "Signing Time" Volume 1; I have not been disappointed. These two products are designed to be viewed by parents AND children. To date, my 17-month-old son recognizes about 80 signs and produces about 40 signs with varying accuracy. To recap, Joseph Garcia's "Sign with your Baby" complete learning kit is great for getting parents STARTED with signing, but it falls short of being a useful resource to those who've already started signing or whose children already possess some verbal skills; in this case just check out Garcia's book from the library to learn about the research and methods he addresses in the video. Then invest your money elsewhere, like in "Baby See n Sign" and "Signing Time" videos. ONE FINAL THOUGHT: In one amazon.com review of Joseph Garcia's "Sign with your Baby," the video is criticized as "something of an infomercial...I expected more actual instruction and demonstration...There should have been more showing and less telling." While I agree to a certain extent with this reviewer, I strongly believe PARENTS should be educated in the research and methods associated with TEACHING a second language. I taught English as second language for many years in Japan; keeping up-to-date on the latest research and employing age-appropriate methods were essential in helping my students master a second language. Of all the signing products I've seen for hearing children, Joseph Garcia presents this aspect best. Good luck to anyone embarking on this adventure; it's a lot of FUN!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars We had better results than we ever expected, Feb. 4 2002
Karen Cohen (Needham, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Sign with your Baby is a wonderful kit to learn how to communicate with your baby and toddler before he/she can speak! The book was easy reading, the quick reference card is a real help with sitters, and although the video was somewhat tedious it was helpful in reinforcing the ideas and signs in the book. The main point is that the concept really works! We started showing our daughter signs at 7 months and by 8 1/2 months she produced her first sign. She has been very eager to learn new signs - helping to reduce her frustration with each sign she learns. Neither my husband or myself know ASL, but we look up and learn new signs to show her as we see she is interested in something, or if she is starting to get frustrated expressing something. It has been wonderful! At 15 months she has a 15 sign vocabulary! The benefit to teaching ASL as opposed to Baby Signs is that it is more universal - friends of ours who also have children or who know some ASL can understand her as well as we can. The only advise that I can offer is if you use this system, don't stop with 1-3 signs, your child can learn more! Our friends are amazed that our daugter can quietly ask for things while their child is whining or crying for the same thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to communicate w/ your toddler, Aug. 21 2001
By A Customer
I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in signing with their baby. It gives you a good start in signing. The book does not show the entire ASL vocabulary, but it is a start. The author encourages you to make up signs that are easy for your baby to learn or just watch your baby make up signs of his/her own. The video is necessary only if you need a visual in learning the signs, otherwise, the book tells you everything you need to know to begin signing with your baby. Just be warned that this is a very long process and you must be patient. I began signing with my baby at 7 1/2 months and she did not sign until 10 1/2 months and she wasn't consistent until she turned 1 year old. Now she signs without a problem and I am able to understand what she wants now. I highly recommend this kit, it is a great resource for any parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for bi lingual families!, March 12 2003
Olivia "Olivia" (Philadelphia suburbs, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I am bilingual (Romanian, English), but my husband only speaks English, so I speak both with our daughter. As bilingual parents know, when they learn two languages at once, kids start talking as late as 3 1/2! This can make for a lot of frustration and temper tantrums when the child cannot make themselves understood. Our daughter is not speaking at 2 1/2 years. We used this system to communicate with her, cutting out some of her frustrations (and cutting out a lot of tantrums). She can make herself understood to us and she doesn't freak out becasue she is frustrated. We started when she was 9 months old, but it can be used at any age. We liked this method because it uses real American Sign Language (ASL) signs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sign with your baby,Complete learning kit, Sept. 17 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 28 2004
By A Customer
This was a very interesting video to watch. I love that it comes with a book, etc. The video is about an hour long, and the last 10 minutes are all of the main signs in alphabetical order, and how to do each one. It's a great review. I just leave it in the VCR to that point (the last 10 minutes) incase I need help remembering, since we just started this week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly, Highly Recommend, Nov. 4 2003
R. Smith "smith95" (Greenville, SC United States) - See all my reviews
I used this system with my now 21 month old. It made parenting from 12-18 months a breeze. It is worth the effort to see your child communicate. My son signed complete sentences, like "Where are my shoes?" at 13 months. It has not delayed his speech - in fact he is well ahead for his age. Watch the video twice through and you will learn all the basic signs. Use the book as a reference guide. I plan to teach my next child signing too!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, Oct. 6 2003
Jlouie (Marrero, LA United States) - See all my reviews
I am so amazed and happy that my son has learned sign language. This kit really works! Out of the blue he'll do a new sign. It is so cool. Just keep using the signs and the baby will learn. It is a great way to communicate with your baby before he/she can talk. I highly encourage others to try sign language with their baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for all parents, Oct. 4 2003
This was a great kit to start signing with your child. It was well researched and presented. The video was helpful. I really like how he uses ASL (American Sign Language). Many of the books out there use made up signs. Why not teach your child a real language that they can use to make friends with? I love being able to communicate with my daughter. Other parents notice how we talk to each other. It's fun and helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Help, Sept. 18 2003
By A Customer
We received this gift set when our daughter was born. As first time parents we gave it a try. WOW do we love it. It helps so much! We started a little early (5 months) and saw results by 10 months. Now she is 13 months and can ask for different foods and use please and thank you. It has helped her communicate with us and has made our lives so much easier.
If you are dedicated and consistent, give it a try.

ARRAY(0xaf851e40)