5.0 out of 5 stars Magic & Mayhem at a Remote Boarding School, Dec 16 2009
Nicola Manning-Mansfield (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Gunnerkrigg Court Volume 1: Orientation (Hardcover)
Reason for Reading: A Cybils Award nominee.

Summary: Antimony's mother has recently died and her father has sent her to a remote British boarding school where she soon makes a best friend, Kat. Strange things happen right from beginning as she finds herself with a second shadow who asks for her help, she meets a friendly robot, finds a room that contains an entire outside meadow, meets up with demons, ghosts and the like all during her first year at Gunnerkrigg Court.

Comments: A delightful book! First off, the book itself is beautiful: a small, thick hardcover with glossy full colour pages. The artwork is gorgeous, having an animation feel to it. The story itself has it's obvious Harry Potter similarities but they are only alike superficially, and let's not forget JK did not invent the British boarding school fantasy. The book starts out with each chapter being rather episodic and I was wondering if that was all there was to it, but at a point previous characters start to show up and an overall plot began to develop and slowly unravel, hence my brief summary above. It's better not to know too much going into this book. Antimony is a fabulous main character. I found her somewhat over precocious at the beginning but as she becomes close to her friend she becomes more likeable and Antimony is a character that truly grows and develops from start to finish. The magical/fantasy elements of the story are a lot of fun and as the plot reveals itself become mysterious and hint at dangerous things to come. The book is infused with plenty of humour but there are also moments of brilliant pathos in some of the individual encounters Antimony and Kat experience along the way. One note of caution: there is some textual s*xual innuendo, not a lot but enough that I would be remiss in not mentioning it to those who are concerned about that sort of thing. I do highly recommend this book and am looking forward to Volume 2 which will be released in January, 2010.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, July 10 2009
Matt Bliss (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gunnerkrigg Court Volume 1: Orientation (Hardcover)
I'm very happy with this purchase. I wanted to support the author of this webcomic and this is a great way to do it, by purchasing this book. The hardcover book looks and is very nicely made. I do hope Tom continues to release more hardcover books for his webcomic as I know I will continue to buy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars goodstuff, April 20 2011
This review is from: Gunnerkrigg Court Volume 1: Orientation (Hardcover)
I follow this comic on the web and it feels great to have a copy in my hand. prompt delievery, excellent condition. I can't wait for them to republish vol. 2. I have also preordered vol. 3.

very happy to have this product available to purchase. It looks nice on my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily one of the best stories I've ever read., Dec 27 2010
This review is from: Gunnerkrigg Court Volume 1: Orientation (Hardcover)
I reread this again today, and just felt I had to give a review.
While the art may look a little pointy at the beginning, his style quickly starts to take substance. It's a really cool experience reading through and seeing how each chapter looks progressively more polished than the last.
The story is told with great care as well. It deftly switches between arcs which push the story forward, and chapters that are just for fun (and never feel like filler).
Basically you should buy this (and know that if you like this, the second book is even better still).

5.0 out of 5 stars An AMAZING graphic novel, March 19 2010
Whimsical (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gunnerkrigg Court Volume 1: Orientation (Hardcover)
I had originally read gunnerkrigg court online (which the author regularly updates three times a week) and had bought a hard copy because I so admired the art and whimsy of the gunnerkrigg court.

Then, it dawned on me that it would make EXCELLENT reading material for my little brother's nightly bedtime story. He adored it, and I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading it.

ARRAY(0xb5b804f8)

Gunnerkrigg Court Volume 1: Orientation
Gunnerkrigg Court Volume 1: Orientation by Thomas Siddell (Hardcover - Jan. 30 2009)
CDN$ 29.50 CDN$ 18.59