5.0 out of 5 stars Just received a diagnosis of Autism? This is THE book to start with!, Oct. 22 2007
D. Pratt "Granny Deb" (Calgary, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew (Paperback)
This is THE book to get you started on your journey of knowledge through Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). It is easy to understand, gives a quick overview in the first 20 pages, then expands on all 10 areas covering one end of the spectrum to the other. Ms. Notbohm uses her own experience with her son to lead us through the maze that is ASD in her family. All the way along she provides us with the one thing we all yearn for and that is HOPE. This book is a MUST READ for any parent, grandparent or friend of someone dealing with ASD. Nowhere in this book will you find the words 'cure' or 'recover' but you will find the words 'choice' and 'success'. This book is truly a useful tool for ALL of us who have children in our lives who just happen to have autism. One of the few authors I have come across who is truly also 'reader-friendly.'

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book to read to get your mind in the right place, Nov. 12 2007
David Clermont (Embrun, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Having just found out our youngest has an ASD this summer, we've been on a blitz to get information. I've found this book to be very helpful (and hopeful) to get in the right mindset (a positive one). I have attracted myself to many of the concepts presented here (a can-do attitude instead of the popular can't-do attitude). This book is a good book to start with. It is an introduction into the journey ahead of you. It's not a clinical journal, yet it's informative; It's not a silly story, yet it is light and the anecdotes are funny. I'm glad I've read this at the beginning of my journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten Reasons to Buy This Book!, Dec 8 2007
BeatleBangs1964 (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This stellar book provides a logical list of ten basic precepts that every person, child or adult with autism would like for the neurotypical (NT) world to know.

People, children in particular are people first, not "autistic child, autistic person." Autism is a shorthand label for specific behaviors that are rooted in neurobiology. In short, autism is a sensori-neurobiological condition.

The main theme and the common thread that links the ten items on this "wish list" of sorts is extending basic human courtesy to people with autism. Readers will be provided ways in order to help honor the rights, dignity and best interests of people with autism. Parents and educators in particular will take this book to heart.

This author translates seemingly bizarre behavior to the neurotypical world. All behavior has a sensory base. Many people with autism have hyperacute hearing. Show me someone with autism who doesn't hate loud noises and I'll show you a singing Boston bulldog who can tap dance as well. All sensory modes are heightened in people who have autism. Smells are stronger; certain materials are unbearable to the touch and in some cases painful; tastes are very strong; the sight of certain things can elicit strong reactions that are either very positive or very negative. I knew people with autism who hated blinking lights and retreat or cover their eyes when in the presence of a light that blinked on and off.

Beatle fans with autism are a very interesting group indeed. The mere sight of a Beatle picture brings strong positive reactions; the Beatles' music triggers a series of highly positive responses as well.

This brilliant book demystifies meltdowns and identifies triggers. In cowboy parlance, this book will help you head them off at the pass. If you can't, you learn when to get out of Dodge fast. As difficult as the process is, it is always worth it and for children in particular, meltdowns are the result of being pushed past a certain point. It's like the 1968 George Harrison classic, "It's All Too Much." That song describes the Overload Experience quite well. "It's all too much for me to see..it's all too much for me to take..."

Some excellent prompts, cues and guides are provided to help children navigate throughout their day. Show me a person with autism who DOESN'T hate surprises/having things sprung on them and I'll show you that same singing Boston bulldog. Echoes of Carol Gray can be heard here; she is famous for her social stories and having children draw social comics to help script and anticipate certain social interactions. This gifted author helps people to see autism in a more accepting light by explaining the behaviors; providing tools of empowerment and keeping the tone of acceptance throughout the book.

This wonderful book makes me think of the 1978 Billy Joel song, "Just the Way You Are." I like the way she says that is an important message to convey to children on the spectrum - we like and love them just the way they are and the goal is to help them have happy, full productive lives and good social interactions and develop confidence.

This book is a giant step towards accomplishing all that and then some.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, inspiring book, Nov. 24 2011
This was the first book I bought after my son (age 32 months) was diagnosed with autism just over one month ago. To be honest, I was a mess - I felt so helpless, so hopeless. I started to feel better after the few first pages - THIS was what I need to know, THIS was what I had needed to hear! It really helped me gain back my perspective after feeling like my whole world had been blown apart by this diagnosis. It was still a difficult adjustment but we're all doing really well and are excited for the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars "10 Things Every Child ... "is a wonderful easy read, Feb. 17 2006
Liz Blair (Montréal, Canada) - See all my reviews
"Ten Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew" is a great book for parents of autistic children. It is fast to read when time is at a premium. Its simple language is easy to share with family,friends and others involved with your ASD child. The author speaks from the heart giving you the tools to do the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to Autism for everyone, June 20 2011
What I like best about this book is that it is small. Being a parent of an autistic child, its difficult to convey to close friends and family members what my child is capable of and what she currently is not....but could be. As well as what they can do to help. If you have family members, babysitters or other people involved in your autistic childs life - or you are one such member who has a niece/nephew/grandchild ect, this book gives some quick and easy insight what to expect (and not to expect) as well as how they can best be supportive. My daughters grandmother found it very easy to read (easy on the eyes too). Most Autism books are very long and heavy reading - so this little gem is just perfect if you would like to learn a little more about the condition, if your child just has been newly diagnosed and you are feeling overwhelmed, or just want an introduction and how best you can be supportive to such a child, this would be a good start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for education folks!, Jan. 26 2014
Roslyn Morgan (N.S.Canada) - See all my reviews
Sometimes simplicity is the best choice and this definately fills that need! Much of it is common sense but for those who deal with autistic kids don't seem to have this so great this book is here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learned From It, June 16 2012
The book has taught me things I didn't know about autism and has opened my eyes to a lot of important things I did not know about autism. Very good book, well written and well worth the buy for anyone who wants to learn more about autism or anyone who interacts with someone with autism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for Parents, Teachers and Caregivers, Oct. 21 2007
I wish I had read this book when my older son was first diagnosed with Autism. I had been given an article summary of the 10 things by an agency. I bought the book this summer and loved it. I two sons with Autism and the book is accurate, easy to read and written from real life experience. As a parent it gave me good tips and reassurance. I have now given it to my older son's Sr. Kindergarten teacher to help her better understand him. I have also read her second book 1001 Great Tips for Teaching and Raising a Child with ASD. I've passed it to the school along with a few others too.

5.0 out of 5 stars heart warning, Dec 28 2011
Awesome book. I have purchased 2 of these books and gave one to my son's SERT at his school. Gives a true view of the little things that we take for granted.

Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew
Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew by Ellen Notbohm (Paperback - Jan. 1 2005)
Used & New from: CDN$ 9.30