5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Resource
Published on Feb. 27 2004 by Heather Baskerville

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I purchased this book based on it being the only one I could find relating to toilet training children with special needs and on its favorable reviews. My mistake.
If you are slightly educated on the subject of autism, then most of the ideas in this book won't come as much of a surprise to you as they don't amount to much more than common sense.
The book is...
Published on Jan. 30 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Resource, Feb. 27 2004
Heather Baskerville (West St Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
If you would have told me years ago that potty training was going to be such a big deal and even take up many hours of research and IEP meetings and even visits by Child Protection I would have told you that you were crazy. I purchased this book as a last resort. I am so glad I did. My son is now fully pee trained and after his constipation (which is also explained in the book to be common accurance in autistic children) clears he will be fully trained. I am so happy with the vast information in this book and that it referances different techniques and
"case stories" that reminded me that there are children older than mine that are not potty trained. It also has solutions for special problems like fear of the flushing, voiding in the toilet, using too much toilet paper and fixation on other things in the bathroom. There is so much in this book that has been helpful that I would have never found anywhere else. I even copied many of the pages to prove to the school that potty difficulties are common with children with autism and the teachers and school nurse oohed and awwed over the book as well. There are many pages related to school use of the bathroom and communications that are needed between teachers and parents. The book reminds teachers not to be angry with parents and vice versa when diapers and extra clothes are forgotten. The book is easy and fun to read and very informational. I recommend this book to many of the parents who have autistic children.
Buy it you won't be sorry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Jan. 30 2004
By A Customer
The book is listed as being 122 pages in length. This could easily be reduced to 1/3 this size due to the distracting way it is written (each page is double-spaced akin to a grade-school book report.) Ideas are recapped on the very page where they are first presented, bringing a whole new meaning to the term "redundant."
Many of the ideas in the book rely heavily on the use of PECS or a picture schedule, yet no examples are given. Perhaps if this book were revised in the future, it could include some of the pictures it refers to as being an integral part of the training process - and exclude a useless 4 1/2-page glossary defining terms such as "siblings," "tantrums" and "back-up plan."
The author had a good idea with this book, but executed it poorly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful Advice and Strategies!, April 20 2000
This book is one of the few that helped me see toilet training in a new light with some real possibilities for my child. There were strategies I had not read before and nice case studies helping put a human face on a problem I thought was mine alone as a mother. Most books only address toileting issues for young children, this approached them developmentally, not age alone. I would recomeend this to anyone having difficulty with this issue in their family.

5.0 out of 5 stars A godsend for the newly diagnosed., Oct. 17 2001
My 3 and a half year old son was diagnosed with (high functioning) Autistic Spectrum Disorder last month. While we're still dealing with the shock of the diagnosis, it was a relief to read that children with ASD are among the hardest to train. We have been attempting toilet learning for the past two years using "traditional" methods and have not had one single success. What a relief to find out that these traditional methods do not work well with autistic children! We are looking forward to working with my son's teachers using the methods described in the book. The book is also a good overview of problems people with Autism have in the toileting arena - we now have a better idea of what potential problems my son may have later (ie, using public restrooms) and feel empowered by the strategies suggested in dealing with them BEFORE they happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Partners In Autisms Organization - Intervention Book Pick, Aug. 28 2000
Much more than a how-to, this book adeptly tackles one of the least talked about yet more universal and stress inducing problems facing parents and caregivers of children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Much of the methodology and tactics introduced in the book are logically derived from a number of case studies where various sensory and developmental issues that often impede mastery and retention of toileting skills were identified and addressed.
This text stands out in stark contrast to the typical child tutoring "potty books". The insights and strategies it contains make it a sorely needed and valuable resource for anyone struggling with the complex problems inherent in teaching and modifying the idiosyncrasies of Autistic behaviors.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Tool..., July 3 2003
C. J. Miller "cjmiller29" (Greencastle, PA) - See all my reviews
...if you can get past the author's writing style.
Overall, it had some very good information and helpful tips that I plan to incorporate my 3 1/2 year old child with PDD (Asperger's). My one complaint (which is the reason for 4 stars) is that the author did not portray the information in an organized way. I spent most of the book reading about how good the method works, but it didn't go in depth enough to get a good picture on what to do with my son until towards the end of the book.
It would have resulted in a much shorter and easier to read book, if Ms. Wheeler had just presented a chapter explaining the pros of the methods she has used, followed by the methods of teaching in a concise A though Z manner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Each autistic child is different..., April 18 2000
Carol F. (La Crescenta, CA) - See all my reviews
...we all know that. This book approaches the MANY different unique issues that may come up in toilet training a child with autism. It does not imply (as most books on this topic do) that there is one sure way to success. The authors provide many suggestions to address each child's INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES (sensory or otherwise) in the training plan. Also, I liked the EMPHASIS ON TEAMWORK -- toilet training an autistic child must involve cooperative effort from teachers, therapists, respite care workers, parents and anyone else who spends time with your child.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information but very disorganized, July 19 2004
By A Customer
There is some good information and advice in this book but I wish that the author would have organized things better. She also spends too much time explaining why it is important for your child to be potty trained. I already know why I want my kid trained--don't waste my time explaining that to me! So far I have not been able to get my son trained but for a long time, he would not even sit on the potty and now he does regularly. I am going to try some mainstream books now and use this book as a reference for problem areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toilet Training for Individuals with Autism & Related Disord, Sept. 10 2001
The instructions and diagrams are clear. Although it implies 'autisitic' children, my son is mentally challenged I am using the best suited methodology for him and I can check off easily where we are. It explains in a logical way why a particular approach, what to expect. Finally, he is nine, I have signs of progress. It is an undersell to say 'children with autism'. True several books have sections on this but this single bit of literature that comprehensively covers a critical area. Trust me I have read many.

Much more than a how-to, this book adeptly tackles one of the least talked about yet most universal and stress inducing problems facing parents and caregivers of children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Much of the methodology and tactics introduced are logically derived from a number of case studies where various sensory and developmental issues that often impede mastery and retention of toileting skills were addressed.

Toilet Training for Individuals with Autism or Other Developmental Issues: Second Edition
CDN$ 25.00 CDN$ 15.75