biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on June 20, 2009
I picked this up for the following reasons. I found out they're making it into a film staring the always hilarious Michael Cera. I thought it would be cool to actually read something before it became a film. It takes place in my home town of Toronto (the author is from there). I'm not a comic book/graphic novel guy but have always been curious. I figured this was a good start.

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed volume 1 and I'm really looking forward to reading the remaining 3. The characters and story are fun with a good bit of edge to them and the artwork is very unique and humourous. I will say this though, it is a very quick read. I'm a slow reader and I read it in under 2 hours.

One thing I am skeptical about is how well this can be adapted into a film. It seems like it would be an interesting, if not impossible challenge to properly translate this onto the big screen. I can't wait to find out!
It's hard to think of a slacker more endearing than Scott Pilgrim -- he's funny, cool, unpretentious, and awkwardly romantic.

And you get to see all of that in "Scott Pilgrim, Vol. 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life," which adds a rock'n'roll sci-fi twist to the usual boy-meets-girl story. Most of it ambles across the daily adventures of Scott's life as he falls in love, but blossoms at the end into a brilliant Crowning Moment Of Awesome.

23-year-old Scott Pilgrim has everything: a cool rock band, a forgiving gay roommate, and a high school girlfriend (they just talk! Don't worry!). But lately his dreams have been full of a strange young woman on rollerblades, who usually announces that he IS dreaming -- and one day at the library, he actually sees her in the flesh.

Her name is Ramona Flowers, and while Scott's first attempts to talk to her bomb horribly, an order from amazon.ca brings her right to her door (and a date). But as Scott's odd personality charms Ramona, he starts getting messages from a guy who wants to schedule a fight with him. Can the forces of love, friendship and rock'n'roll thwart Matthew Patel and his demon hipster chicks?

When you boil it down, the Scott Pilgrim series is really just a boy-meets-girl story. But "Scott Pilgrim, Vol. 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life" establishes pretty quickly that Bryan Lee O'Malley has a rare talent for spicing up an ordinary story into a precious little one. Subspace highways, snowstorms, love triangles and rock concerts all come into play.

And O'Malley fills the story with mildly funny dialogue ("You're all over the place." "But I'm so sincere!") and plenty of quirky characters (I wish I had a roommate like Wallace). He has an art style that makes me think of more rounded TV cartoon characters -- everybody looks rather childlike, with large dark eyes, round faces and cute hipster clothes. And everything is rendered in stark black-and-white.

As for Scott... what can you say about him? He's an even mix of of sweet, awkward boy and budding rock god, and he even can do things like date a seventeen-year-old (chastely) without seeming weird. Ramona herself takes a little warming up to, since at first she seems kind of abrasive and dismissive of Scott. But as they get to know each other, she becomes much sweeter to him.

"Scott Pilgrim, Vol. 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life" is a delightful start to this oddball 21st-century love story, filled with memorable art and quirky characters.
on March 22, 2014
shipped really fast and in perfect condition.

read in one hour. I bought the first one, but I figured it would be better to read them at the library for free.
on March 19, 2014
Love this series. Played the game, read the graphic novels, watched the movie, and would definitely recommend them to anyone.
on April 14, 2013
He couldn't put it down and awaits the next installment. Will be ordering more books in the future from this author
on May 20, 2011
I love this series, but Publisher's Weekly clearly didn't read the books all that carefully. It says it takes place in a "cold, unnamed Canadian town". Um, no. It takes place in Toronto, and the author makes a point of including plenty of Toronto landmarks like the Wychwood Public Library and Casa Loma.
on January 16, 2016
Perfect
on July 2, 2010
Well I enjoyed how the creator illustrated the way people from Toronto act at least teenagers any way.
This book also has a good art style
on September 17, 2010
In good condition but arrive 2 week later, im not blaming Thebookcommunity or amazon, im blaming my mail.