Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on November 13, 2008
I picked up this book because a) I used to live just outside of Toronto and b) I'm a big supporter of Canadian writing. So it is fair to say I had high hopes for this book. Despite my high hopes for the book, I was disappointed.

This book contains a series of short stories all set in the Toronto area. All the stories are by Canadian authors who have, at some point in time, had dealings with the Toronto area. Therefore their stories, while fiction, are based to some extent on their own experiences. Usually this proves to good story telling.

But the stories in Toronto Noir are a let down. They don't reach out and grab the reader. They are plain, dull, and dare I say it, uninteresting. And this is a real shame because Toronto is a vibrant city with lots going for it and it is too bad the authors couldn't capture that feeling and put it down on paper.

The classification for this book is fiction/mystery. The mystery bit also puzzles me because there really isn't any mystery in any of the stories.

Finally, I understand this book is one in a series of 'Noir' novels that are set in different parts of the US. I can't comment on those books, but if this if your first time looking in to the 'Noir' series, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse