countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 27, 2015
SOOOO many recipes. All with glossy photos. So many wonderful ideas. Well organized in sections. Nice balance of basics, meaty meals, soups, etc. Good alternatives to all of those canned soup based slow cooker cookbooks. This is by far the best slow cooker cook book I've found (I own five, dont even look at the others anymore)
on December 23, 2014
Love America's Test Kitchen cookbooks. As my family grows I am realizing I don't always have time to get fussy with the details which is why I knocked off a star. Otherwise, they are fantastic recipes.
on May 14, 2014
I love love love Test Kitchen and Cook's. I can always rely on their recipes. Every single recipe I've tried from this book has been tasty and turned out very well. Unlike other slow cooker cookbooks, ALL the recipes are reliable. I definitely recommend it.
on May 15, 2011
As with all America's Test Kitchen cookbooks, the recipes are involved, but well worth the effort. Absolutely a go-to book for weekend slow-cooker recipes! I strongly recommend this one.
on September 18, 2012
This cookbook goes well beyond the usual slow cooker fare and creates dishes that are outside the usual fare of this appliance. The one reviewer that rated it lower likely felt that it did not live up to the typical recipes that you find and that is understandable. With a whole chapter of soups that take inspiration from different world flavours to an entire chapter of pasta sauces. This book will really help you step out of the box. My only warning is that some of the recipes do require more prep than other typical dishes, varying from pre-warming/cooking in the microwave to some pre-browining in the skillet. The thing I love most about this book is that it addresses any extra steps and explains why they are necessary to the final results. I would recomend this book to anyone with a slow cooker covered in dust or a veteran cooker looking for new inspiration.
on July 24, 2014
NOTE: If you do not like prep work for slow cooker and want "easy, throw together in a pot and wait" type of recipes, this book is not for you. If you don't mind some extra prep work before putting ingredients into slow cooker, read on!

I purchased this book about a month ago and couldn't wait to try it. I own a decent slow cooker and I love the idea of putting my meals together and not having to watch them while they cook, or have them ready by the time I get home from work. Unfortunately A LOT of slow cooker recipes I've tried in the past (recipe books and online) yielded bland results, and a couple times I had to just throw the whole meal away just because it tasted so bad. So I was on a hunt for a good slow cooker recipe book.
So far I have tried just a few recipes and I have to say, although I have not tried more recipes then I would have liked,this is THE BEST slow cooking recipe book I've seen so far. As usual the authors go into details regarding why they made certain modifications to the recipes and why traditional recipes would not work as well. I love reading the science behind cooking, but if you are not into that then it is very easy to skip. Almost all of my recipes, except for one, turned out amazingly delicious. I was also able to successfully covert some of the recipes into a regular stove-top recipes.
It's a very versatile book and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a great slow-cooker recipe book.

Here is the list of tried recipes:

Soups
1. Farmhouse Chicken and Corn Chowder Soup - amazing!! Boyfriend loved it too and said it was the best cornchowder he's ever had. I made it on stove top.

Braises
2. Chicken with White Wine, Tarragon and Cream - not impressed and will not repeat. It is possible it did not turn out because I used milk alternative instead of cream

Pasta Sauces
3. Chicken and Musroom Sauce - okay, but not overly memorable
4. Chicken and Broccoli Sauce - really good! I tripled the broccoli just because I wanted more veggies, but it is not necessary if you don't want to.

Meatballs, Meatloaves and More
5. Meatballs and Marinara - really good! I made the sauce on stove top.
6. Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers - Amazing! Definitely a keeper. I used cooked brown rice in this recipe.

Casseroles
7. Curried Chicken and Rice - good! I didn't put rice and doubled cauliflower. Again this is not necessary, if you want to put rice, I am sure it will be delicious.
8. Lazy Man's Stuffed Cabbage - Amazing! and I don't even like cabbage, so it says a lot. I used cooked brown rice in this recipe. I made this in a casserole dish and baked it in the oven at 350F, covered in tinfoil for 1 hour and uncovered for ~20 minutes.
on November 28, 2011
Cooks Illustrated has consistently written the best cook books I've ever used and this is right up there with the others. The recipes are delicious and easy to follow. Really worth buying.
on January 24, 2012
I agree with all other reviews, the recipes in this book are excellent, to say the least. I found too, that if I didn't have time to use the slow cooker, I used a large saucepan & the recipes were still very perfect!
on January 31, 2012
This is the best slow cooker book I have ever owned, and I own quite a few! I love their explanations of how they arrived at the recipe and particularly the reasons why NOT to do some variations. Every recipe I have tried has been a hit, even the rice pudding.
on November 26, 2013
This book has well tested recipes. Those recipes that I have tried came out better than I expected. especially with a beef stew where the veggies were placed in a separated foil packet. The instruction are well illustrated.
I have recommended this book to several people.