‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good ol' Canadian Humour, March 1 2011
This review is from: Scott Pilgrims Precious Little Boxset (Paperback)
These books are a hilarious. If you like the movie, you'll like the books, and if you like the books, you'll love the movie. If you're not Canadian, a few of the references will fall short, but the comedy is still there.
I actually saw the movie first, and then read the series...I think the casting for the film is brilliant. It was easy to see the characters come to life in the comic after that. Only down side is the individual volumes are a quick read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott Pigrim Vs. The Review, Aug. 19 2010
These books were very creative and AWESOME. If anyone likes comic and video games (who doesn't these days), they will like these books. Most of the comic's video game references will not be recognized by a lot of younger people but that doesn't take away from the story. This is a must own.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Epic of Video Games, Music, and Growing the Hell Up, Sept. 24 2010
I first encountered the Scott Pilgrim series a few years ago and, to be honest, didn't think much of them at the time: mostly because -- on the surface anyway -- it seemed like a story about rock-stars fighting evil exes. It wasn't something that really appealed to me at the time and I suspect that at that time, I wouldn't have gotten as much out of the series as I have now.

A few years later, the film came out and I heard that it was an "epic of epic epicness" from quite a few people. Then I was told that there were quite a few video game references in that world. This got my attention because while the books' references to popular and independent (or indie) music escaped me, classic and vintage style video games were and definitely something I can relate to: something I grew up with.

I watched the film and was very impressed, but I was told that the books were in some ways even better. I like to read the comics that comic book movies are inspired from, so I eventually picked up all six of these books on my own. So what can I tell you without spoilers?

Scott Pilgrim has a few things in it that I can really relate to. For one thing, I am Canadian and I live in Toronto so there were a lot of places and elements -- like the TTC subways, streetcars, and buses -- that I could really relate to and it was a blast to see a fantasy-adventure romantic comedy with video game references taking place in a city I've gotten to know.

I also feel like the books really appeal to a certain generation: both the generation that saw the rise of video games as we know them, and the people who grew up during the times of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega. There are a lot of in-jokes and references that I really appreciate, though no means do you have to have played or known the games to enjoy this story.

Scott Pilgrim also appeals to me on another level as well. I think that in addition to the video games and music of the latter part of the twentieth century, it also appeals to the twenty-something generation that exists in this contemporary 21st century. The story attempts to capture that feeling of being caught in-between adolescence and adulthood, of Scott Pilgrim still in the stages of growing up and finding maturity even during a point where many might believe he should already be an adult.

I like the fact that Scott and his friends deal with moments of epicness inter-dispersed through the uncertainty of keeping a job, keeping one's apartment, finding something to eat, finding and trusting the right romantic partner(s), and trying to find meaning and make it in a world that makes things relatively tough. There is also this tremendous feeling of ennui that is captured in the narrative -- of boredom and a need to live through and fix it somehow. This is an element that isn't so much seen in the film as it is in these books and I think it might say something about our generation at this time: though what it may say and if this generalization holds any water at all is another story entirely.

In a lot of ways, Scott Pilgrim is a bildungsroman -- a coming of age epic -- and the creator himself as said that this book is centred around Scott: even in his mind. This is the craft of Bryan Lee O'Malley. As quite a few people have pointed out, his illustration and panel-drawings are very deceptively simple. I would venture to say that his drawing style is very reminiscent of Tezuka Osamu's manga or manga itself with regards to the exaggerated eyes and cartoon figures of the characters, though at the same time I can definitely see his work to be not unlike a softer lines version of Genndy Tartakovsky's drawings and animation.

I really appreciate how throughout the graphic narrative, O'Malley manages to tell a story slowly and deliberately and reveal something of a character right to your face, while the protagonist Scott Pilgrim may not be entirely aware of it. O'Malley also knows how to pace his jokes and even manages to utilize some meta-narrative or fictional elements through his characters while still managing to have some fun. When the epic fight scenes occur, they are all the more very striking and have more meaning in complement to the difficulties of everyday life and heartbreak that Scott and his friends go through.

O'Malley manages to capture the spirit of a time, a city, some subcultures, and personalities well and in a way that can capture hearts in turn. I see Scott Pilgrim as a modern twenty-something year old Pilgrim's Progress into a semi-mythical world of video games, indie music, Toronto city life, epic adventure, love, and maturity ... and whole load of humour. I couldn't rate this series any higher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Comic Series Ever, Jan. 14 2014
This review is from: Scott Pilgrims Precious Little Boxset (Paperback)
Says it right on the side of the case, Scott Pilgrim is the best book ever. If you have yet to read it or want just don't own it pick it up you will not be dissapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift for my daugher, Dec 25 2013
This review is from: Scott Pilgrims Precious Little Boxset (Paperback)
She loved the books and was so thrilled to receive it. I haven't read it myself but if you have an older teen or young adult into anime by her reaction I would recommend this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, Dec 16 2013
Scott pilgrim got an amazing story. The drawing looks great. The paper quality is greater than what I expected when I ordered this "Paperback" version.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love the movie, you'll love the books even more!!, Aug. 8 2013
I ordered the steelbook movie and got these with it.
I love the books!! So many more fights and more details.
Like Todd fight is technically a deleted Bass duel from the movie. In 2 parts.
theres a fight with knives and Ramona.
The secret weak point behind the knee is actually a fight with Envy. Etc.
Very worth the read.
The only thing I found disappointing (and I will not take away a star for this) is that there isn't a BOX for the books.
It's just a piece of paper covering them. Woulda been nice to have a box. Woulda paid a few more dollars for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Books for an Incredible Price, June 27 2013
This review is from: Scott Pilgrims Precious Little Boxset (Paperback)
Before purchasing this bookset I went to my local book store to see if they had it, it disappointed me that they were selling it for 90 dollars. So I came home and got it off amazon for 50 bucks. The shipping was incredibly fast and got it in a few days. The books itself are amazing each of them have amazing detail and a great story line. Perfect for your average gamer or teen. 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome graphic novels, June 22 2013
This review is from: Scott Pilgrims Precious Little Boxset (Paperback)
Great series. Loved the story and the illustration matches the story well. It has a good cast of loveable characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Jan. 29 2013
This review is from: Scott Pilgrims Precious Little Boxset (Paperback)
It was great. I admit I had seen the movie first (though yes I was fully aware that it was based on a series of graphic novels). I love the movie so when this was finally a little more affordable I got it and read them all in one day. Quite enjoyable.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Scott Pilgrims Precious Little Boxset
Scott Pilgrims Precious Little Boxset by Bryan Lee O'Malley (Paperback - Nov. 23 2010)
CDN$ 82.99 CDN$ 47.61