Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 26, 2010
I read this book with some knowledge of Javascript and very little knowledge of jQuery.

By the time I was finished reading the book, I knew enough about jQuery to tackle any challenges related to client-side scripting that I needed to tackle for my project.

The book does a solid review of the core jQuery library covering anything I felt I needed to know about jQuery to be autonomous with the library and then some.

Everything is explained clearly and in enough details to get a firm grasp about the nuances of the covered APIs.

All the API functions are detailed using a full function specification with complete coverage of the function behavior, parameters and return values.

Tangeant concepts needed to understand how the jQuery API works (cross-browser specific behavior, various standards, some less obvious Javascript features, etc) are also covered along with best practices when coding with jQuery and html/Javascript in general.

Readers that don't know any Javascript at all might be hard pressed to follow (maybe read a couple of Javascript tutorials first at the very least), but for those who are familiar with Javascript and desirous to know more about jQuery will find that this book really is a complete package that covers everything you need to know to autonomously develop your own complex feature-rich jQuery based client-side code.

Note: The second part of the book (about jQuery UI) was of lesser interest to me so I only skimed through it, but it looked good too. This review pertain to the first part of the book covering the jQuery core library however.
on July 24, 2011
I read this book cover to cover - it's more than a reference, it takes the reader through the intricacies of the jQuery (and jQuery UI) libraries. The narration regarding the examples is excellent.. some of the other books I glanced at before choosing this title were full of examples that were not actually explained very well. I'm not sure this book is for beginners, or for those looking for 'cookie cutter' scripts to drop into their pages, but more for those who really want to understand what's happening, of course leading to innovative new functionality.

I'll add that jQuery itself is more powerful than I had first thought - hats off to the creator of jQuery! Thank you for creating such a fantastic tool. And to the jQuery UI Team - fantastic work as well.
on March 31, 2013
I am not entirely convinced the author is a competent programmer. The explanations of code seem clear when reading the book, but the downloaded tutorials do not seem to work. When trying to run the tutorials the page hangs up on jQuery methods, which is really shoddy for a book looking to teach that language.
on November 6, 2010
I'm learning JQuery because I don't want to learn how to program Javascript. This book hasn't shown me much so far I would use on my website nor does it explain things in a way where it is easy to apply the scripts to a website. I think it is probably a very good book for those people who already know Javascript, but it is definitely not a shortcut book. Not fun. Very dry. I'm through chapter 6 in this book already and I still haven't found anything I would ever use in a website. I think the JQuery Ninja book looks a lot better and I will probably end up trying it next. I just wish I had bought it first and not wasted my time with this one.