5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable resource for a parent
As a parent of a four year old boy with significant pragmatic language delay, sensory processing difficulties, fine motor skill and behavioural issues this book has been an invaluable resource.
I keep it close by and find myself reading to my child from it regularly.
Published on Oct. 21 2012 by D. Forsythe

3.0 out of 5 stars aimed at older kids.
too abstract for my 3 year old son, I guess will be better for year 7 +? Not practical. only read once
Published 16 months ago by Fei Wang

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable resource for a parent, Oct. 21 2012
D. Forsythe "making time to read" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Social Story Book, Revised and Expanded 10th Anniversary Edition: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome and their Peers (Paperback)
I keep it close by and find myself reading to my child from it regularly.
He responds well to the stories and I have noticed improvement in his behaviours in less than a weeks time of reading a related story on a daily basis.
I believe the stories are giving him self-confidence in social situations by giving him a plan/guide as how to act and respond in certain situations which regularly cause him anxiety and confusion.
The book has also helped me feel greater confidence in my ability to help my child with his difficulties.
It has empowered me during many difficult situations where I would otherwise be flailing in frustration.
I really appreciate the CD included with the book and have used it to print off particular stories to send to school with him and on trips to Grandma and Grandpa's house.
I have read a lot of books in attempting to understand and help my son and I can honestly say that as far as being a functional tool the book "The New Social Story Book" by Carol Gray is the one resource that has been the most positive and referred to in our home.
I would not hesitate for a moment to recommend it to a parent or educator working with any child who struggles with social skills.
The book is written with great compassion and understanding. It is easy to read, fast and effective to use. Really just an invaluable resource for a parent. The value of it far out weighing the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideas, Ideas, Ideas, Nov. 19 2010
This book had a lot of samples that can be used in helping children expand their social language skills. Great reference and resource for those who work with children with special needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars useful, Aug. 20 2013
This book was not all that I expected.. I was hoping for more social stories however at the time I was also looking for something in particular.. this resource will definitely be useful in the future

3.0 out of 5 stars aimed at older kids., Aug. 1 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars not appropriate for adolescents, March 16 2013
this book is good for learning the format for social stories but you have to be able to write your own to tailor to individual needs and individual developmental levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, Jan. 30 2013
M. Richoux (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for help with writing social stories for any child with social difficulty, no matter the reason. It is a must-have resource for anyone working with socially challenged kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have book, Dec 15 2012
Very useful for parents who need to work on social skills for their kids with special needs. I love this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Resource to have, Nov. 25 2012
This is a nice resource to have. I especially like that it comes with digital versions so that you can customize and print your own version. The pages are glossy and colorful, which the kids like.

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful and practical tool, Sept. 22 2012
My product arrived in good condition, I was pleasantly surprised to have a CD with the social stories, this was very helpful and was exactly what I needed

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, Sept. 12 2012
Great: the way the book is organized into sections for a specific skill you want to work on with students. We worked with two Grade 3 and one Grade 5 student in a small group - and the discussion was very lively. What surprised me most of all, was the way the students "connected" with the story - usually ASD students have limited skills in this area.

Also very good, was the teacher's guide to using the stories. We are thinking of trying our hand at altering the story on the CD and seeing what the response is.

Excellent: the choice of topics - so pertinent to student needs.