5.0 out of 5 stars Inventive and delicious low-fat twists on common favourites
Full disclosure: I was a recipe tester for Lindsay.

Published on Jan. 26 2011 by lavegetaliana

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaves a lot to be desired
Published 3 months ago by Lynsey Dale

5.0 out of 5 stars Inventive and delicious low-fat twists on common favourites, Jan. 26 2011
This review is from: The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes (Paperback)
Full disclosure: I was a recipe tester for Lindsay.

Before "meeting" Lindsay, I didn't have great knowledge or great experience with low-fat or fat-free cooking and baking. Growing up in an Italian family where olive oil is used rampantly, it struck me as somewhat abnormal to cut fat out completely from a diet. Like everything else, though, moderation is best, and I saw that Lindsay's recipes provide the perfect opportunity to incorporate low- or no-fat meals into one's lifestyle. From the day I tried her vegan baked corndog recipe from one of her e-books, I was hooked and delighted to try out her newest recipes.

She covers all bases: from Asian dishes to Ethiopian meals, from Down South American comfort food to tried-and-true baked goods--without the fat! She makes unique twists on conventional meals, like chorizo with a whole-grain secret, or "bacon" bits minus all the processing. The best part of it all is that, without exaggeration, most of Lindsay's meals can be prepared from the very ingredients you have in your pantry or fridge. Not only does she make eating healthy a daily possibility, but she makes it affordable, too. This is a definite must-have for seasoned vegans who are looking to incorporate healthier eating habits into their lifestyle, or for vegans who aim to cook more wholesome meals for their omnivorous loved ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cookbook EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!, Jan. 30 2011
I have just become vegetarian about 4 months ago and am now trying the vegan diet. This cookbook is absolutely amazing!! It has helped me so much and best of all, my meat-eating family love all the recipes I have made so far. It is easy and simple and yet everything is so flavorful. Most ingredients you already have on hand. I love all the pics. I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, Healthy and Vegan!, Jan. 27 2011
Ruth (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful book! It's beautiful to look at, easy to navigate and the recipes are easy to make AND tasty. Healthy delicious food you can make with everyday items from your pantry (for most recipes). Includes a variety of cooking styles. I LOVE it! A welcome addition to any cookbook collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegan never tasted this good, May 19 2011
Honestly, I bought this book when it first came out and it is one of my best purchases to date. Not only are the recipes easy to follow, they are also incredibly delicious. I love the simplicity of the recipes and the down to earth nature of the book. I have made a lot of the meals outlined and each have produced great products. I highly recommmend this book for newbie & old-faithful vegans, onmivore, vegetarians, anyone! Simply delicious. Thanks Lindsay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best vegan cookbook I own!, Sept. 11 2011
I can't say enough good things about this cookbook. It is the only one I use daily and it is now my go-to cookbook for creating healthy vegan meals. When I first adopted a vegan lifestyle, I did the same thing I suspect a lot of newbies do - relying on processed and packaged food but I wanted to eat healthier so I started looking around for new ideas. I tried a few cookbooks but I found there were only a few recipes that I liked. In a lot of cases, they used to hard to find ingredients or took more time to prepare than I wanted. I stumbled across The Happy Herbivore and took a chance. It was one of the best purchases and decisions I ever made! Every recipe I have tried has turned out great (have loved each one!), has ingredients I can find at the store easily and are easy and fairly quick to prepare. You can mix and match the recipes and create amazing meals. I often use it to plan my meals for the week in advance so that I always know what I'm going to be eating that day and preparing the meals is a breeze. And the best part is that I know that everything will taste great! I think this cookbook is great for anyone wanting to eat healthy or try vegan meals - there are many recipes that are veganized versions of traditional favourites (spaghetti and meatballs, macaroni & cheese, potato salad, tacos, etc.) that will appeal to everyone and can demonstrate how tasty vegan meals can be. Highly recommend this cookbook!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My most used cookbook EVER!, Sept. 7 2011
I love everything about this book, it's so simple, yet delicious and it's healthy! Can you get much better?! NO. I've tried quite a few vegan cook books, but usually give up
after a few recipes as they are too complex or not as healthy as I'd like. I've loved every recipe I've made and can't wait to try them all. The vegan cheesecake and chocolate
cupcakes have made others buy this book as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy tummy!, Aug. 27 2011
My sister first introduced me to this book as I have a bad sweet tooth but I am also trying to loose weight. I am a "part-time vegetarian", basically when my husband is not home, as he is an avid meatatarian. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the recipes in this book as it gave me a new outlook on eating healthy yet still enjoying some treats (that were delicous and healthy too - you muuuuust try the Black Bean Brownies - sooooo goood!). I am completely hooked and hope the author comes out with another book in the near future!

5.0 out of 5 stars A vegan cookbook "Bible", Oct. 7 2011
The back cover of this bright green cookbook has a picture of the author in her very small kitchen which will inspire all who have tiny kitchens to create culinary masterpieces from this book. Both the front and back covers are written with plentiful reviews from famous vegans and physicians.
I figure this sturdy book will last the abuse of wear and tear a cookbook will be subjected to in a kitchen where cooking will soon become a priority for the many who venture out to buy it. The pages are glossy, and we are visually stimulated by the color photographs of some but not all recipes. Each recipe includes the nutritional information needed for all types of people watching what they consume, whether diabetic, allergies or just trying to lose weight: The calories, fat, cholesterol, carbohydrate, fiber, sugar, protein are all measured for each serving. Each recipe has one of several fun icons beside the title to denote if they are gluten-free, no cooking required, quick to make, fat-free, soy-free, or a meat-eater's favorite! For people who are not acquainted with certain foods vegans use in their pantry, there is a Glossary of Ingredients starting on page 287 which explains what vegans use instead of the traditional foods such as dairy or meat. There are recipe substitutions and also metric conversions.
From healthy breakfasts to delectable desserts, I recommend this cookbook to anyone wanting a change or challenge in their appetites. You will wow your palate with mouth-watering fare and be anxious for the next day so you can choose another refreshing meal from this wonderful cookbook.

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaves a lot to be desired, Jan. 14 2014
I am frankly baffled as to the number of rave reviews Happy Herbivore books have received, I have to wonder how many vegan cookbooks people have experienced if they think this is "the best". To me it is quite evident that the author is NOT a trained chef, the recipes are very basic and lack flavour and originality/creativity. While basic and easy can be a good thing, especially for new vegetarians/vegans just learning to cook, I worry that these recipes are so bland and mediocre that they would scare people off from going vegan. She relies on fake meats and cheeses a lot and several of the recipes require you to make another recipe from the book (or two or three!) in order to put one recipe together. Also, while it's certainly a good thing to watch the amount of oils and fats in our diet, NO fat is not a good thing, we need healthy fats in our diet and they also add flavour and depth that is seriously lacking here. The baked goods using no oil at all and no sugar, are bland and lack-lustre. I have about 20 different vegan cookbooks and this is honestly the worst and one I would not recommend to anyone, new or seasoned vegan. If you want healthy but still flavourful whole foods vegan dishes, try Dreena Burton's books, or the vegan cooking queen, Isa Chandra Moskowitz, but skip these unless bland is your thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this book. HIGHLY recommend, Dec 20 2012
I bought this book after stumbling across the authors blog and discovered that she cooks and bakes very similar to the way I do--no added fat. Unfortunately not all of my own recipes I attempt to replace the fat with turn out. So when I found out she had a cookbook I purchased it immediately, because I was so happy to find a book that was not only vegan but where the recipes contained no added margarine, oil or shortening, but instead whole foods. I have had this book about a week and have been making 1-3 recipes from it daily and have to say that everything I have made thus far has been very tasty. I have also gotten my family and boyfriend--none of whom are vegan, but rather pretty much pure carnivores-- to try all the recipes I make from this book and they have all enjoyed the meals and snacks I have been preparing!

I want to address one of the reoccurring negative complaints of this book:
-Many people comment saying some recipes in this book aren't really a recipe because the author uses onion powder or garlic powder. I have to completely disagree with these comments because I find this to be a pro, not a con. One of the reasons so many people don't cook or bake is because no one has the time to do it. I think using spices rather than chopping and dicing all the time is actually a great idea, and the recipes still taste amazing. There is nothing more daunting than a recipe with an ingredient list as long as the page telling you to chop this, dice that, julienne all this, but you don't find that in this book. And trust me, there isn't anything missing from these recipes, they taste amazing.

Pros:
-the author uses everyday ingredients. I rarely have to make special trips to the grocery store for these recipes as all the ingredients are staples in my cupboard. And being a student on a budget, I don't have that stocked of a pantry, so this is saying something.
-the recipes are easy to adapt. If you like extra spicy or prefer more of a mild taste, it is easy to modify these recipes to your preference
-it makes great portions. The recipes are great for at least 2-4 portions sometimes, which is great if (1) you are super hungry and just cooking for yourself or (2) you have leftovers for the next day, but its not like an obscene amount of leftovers which is nice.
-WHOLE FOODS are used! You won't find any white flour, or processed sugar in these recipes, so when you eat the food you know it is healthy for you. I don't think people should every associate guilt with food. I believe you can eat great tasting food that is just as nutritious as delicious and this recipe book does just that.
-Easy-to-follow lay out: I have read a lot of cookbooks over the time and sometimes there are just paragraphs everywhere with teeny tiny font and I mess the recipe up because I lose my place when reading the never ending directions. This book is short and to the point and that is exactly what I need. It is also difficult to mess these recipes up because the directions are short and to the point.
-Spices, spices, spices! I love how the author relies on spices for flavour, not fat. There is so much flavour in the recipes in this book, even my carnivore boyfriend and family members love them. Relying on spices is not only way healthier for you, but it makes the recipe super adaptable to your taste.

Cons:
NONE! I absolutely can not say enough wonderful things about this book!

Summary: If you are looking for a healthy vegan cookbook that uses everyday ingredients with easy to follow directions, then this book is for you.

ARRAY(0xb03fd0cc)