5.0 out of 5 stars "And that's why I published this rant....", March 4 2011
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Poke the Box (Hardcover)
I have read and reviewed all of Seth Godin's previous books and thus was especially interested in his latest because about all these thirteen books have in common is their author. What will he come up with next?

As it turns out, he views himself as a "box" and has poked it to begin, to complete, and then (his term) to "ship" (i.e. publish) a book in which he affirms his thoughts and feelings about why it is (his word) "essential" for all of us to take the initiative to accomplish something (anything) "that really matters." No more waiting for approval and permission from anyone else. No more self-serving alibis. No more delusions and denials.

Long ago in a book he titled The Book, Alan Watts observes: "We need a new experience -- a new feeling of what it is to be 'I.' The lowdown (which is, of course, the secret and profound view) on life is that our normal sensation of self is a hoax, or, at best, a temporary role that we are playing, or have been conned into playing -- with our own tacit consent, just as every hypnotized person is basically willing to be hypnotized. The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."

Here we are, 41 years later, and Godin encourages, indeed strongly urges his reader to cast aside what Watts views as a "temporary role" and come out from behind a "mask" that conceals a "separate, independent, and isolated ego." Build something really special. Try lots of stuff. Find a need and fill it as best you can. Seek out unfamiliar territory. Be careful but not cautious. Be bold but not foolish. Expect to fall down and then get up. Expect to make lots of mistakes and learn from each. Ignore "them" and what "they say." In "Song Of Myself," Walt Whitman acknowledges that he contradicts himself: "I am large, I contain multitudes." So are we, including Godin. So what? Get on with it!

He poked himself and produced this book and now hopes that what he shares in it will poke those who read it to poke themselves to DO something special. With all due respect to his street smarts and iconoclastic thinking, Godin remains an incurable idealist with a steadfast faith in the human race. "And that's why I published this rant...."

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Initiating!, April 23 2013
This review is from: Poke the Box (Kindle Edition)
It got me off my butt and gave me the courage to find a way where there was no way before.

That's not precisely accurate. The way found me, once I was willing to get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book soon is not as good as now, March 5 2012
J. A. Broad "Julie Broad (http://www.revnyou.... (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Poke the Box (Hardcover)
If you've read anything else by Seth Godin and liked it - GRAB THIS BOOK as it's a good one! If you are feeling like you can do more but you are lacking motivation or inspiration - GRAB THIS BOOK. If you are afraid of trying and failing - GRAB THIS BOOK.

And as he says - soon is not as good as now.

Full of motivational words and tidbits to get you off your butt and STARTING, it's well worth grabbing a copy and then sharing it with others while you get working on whatever it is you need to do to make an impact.

WARNING: if you're afraid of getting nudged you should probably not get this book. It will be hard to sit in the status quo once Seth's ideas get in your head!!

His perspective on innovation is worth reading about in addition to his inspiration to get started. He suggests organizing for Joy and challenges the methodology many big companies use to handle customers, basically saying if you have to put it in a manual, the chances of amazing someone are quite low. Joy comes from surprise, connection, humanity and new ... and that is hard to regulate.

And remember, if you're afraid of failure: ideas that don't get spoken ALWAYS fail. :)

Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning: May cause discomfort and insomnia. Highly recommended., March 9 2011
Davender Gupta "Venture Catalyst" (Quebec City, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poke the Box (Hardcover)
I signed up a while ago to get Seth Godin's latest manifesto, 'Poke The Box', then forgot about it. Last night I couldn't sleep, so I opened my Kindle, found it there and started to read.

Big mistake.

Not because it's bad. Actually, it's good. So good that my mind started racing about all the projects I want to start, but haven't yet. So good that I was tossing and turning about my Big Hairy Audacious Project and wondering if I'm being audacious enough.

And that's the point of this manifesto.

'Poke The Box' refers to those 'busy box' toys for toddlers, which have dials and cranks and buttons and make noise and flash lights. Do something and there is a response. The child's face lights up and wants more, so she pokes it more, discovering the joy of initiating stuff.

But somewhere in the system, we bleach initiative out of children, so when they become adults, the natural action is to conform, to wait for permission.

The message Seth Godin started in 'Linchpin' continues with his latest missive: Get Going, Do Something and Ship It. Initiative creates momentum, and momentum generates power.

The directness of the message in Poke The Box makes me uncomfortable. Because I really don't have any more excuses holding me back.

Making you uncomfortable is the point of this slim book. I'm sure that when you read it, you won't be able to sleep either.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be shared with others, Nov. 6 2011
This review is from: Poke the Box (Hardcover)
This is the fist book of Seth Godin's I have read. I must admit I was a little skeptical when I first saw the small size of the book.
My sketicism was quickly dismissed.
As I read, I felt engaged and excited about the message Seth was sending. Seth is giving us permission to get off of our chairs and start things, now! Most importantly, the book quickly establishes that failure is virtually guaranteed and learning from our mistakes is all part of the process. Imagine, given permission to fail, how liberating!

The morning after I read this book I found myself at work, ready to take a leap of faith on some thoughts and ideas I had. The courage this little book instilled in me paid off. Thank you Seth, for nudging me forward.

The message is simple but so very important, and Seth is able to support the message both logically and through his obvious passion(appealing to both the rider and the elephant!).

Take the time to buy or borrow and share this book. Spreading this message is important.

5.0 out of 5 stars satisfying and motivating, Aug. 12 2011
Francois Lavallee "Aliter Man" (L'Assomption, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poke the Box (Hardcover)
I admit : I am a huge fan of Seth.
I was not disappointed here.
Simply another kick in the b*** ?
well , we all need this once in a while.

ARRAY(0xb657396c)

Poke the Box
Poke the Box by Seth Godin (Hardcover - March 1 2011)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.54