boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout summer Home All-New Kindle sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 14, 2016
Innovative thinking by Seth
on January 20, 2016
I read this book and really enjoyed it. It stirs up your thinking and challenges the way you look things. A couple years later and I've forgotten most of the book... but one things has stuck with me... "Just start something... I'm a Starter".
on January 14, 2016
Unfortunately, this book did not live up to the hype and excitement generated from some of Godin's other books for me. I found this book to monotonously drone on about the same (shallow) concept to the point where I questioned why I was even pushing myself to read this book in its entirety. For a book that challenges the reader to start and initiate, I found it ironic that Seth didn't expand on the initial idea he introduced until the last 10 pages or so. Not to mention, the actual grand notion of the book, realistically, was something that anyone can come up with if they exercise a little thought. In a nutshell, the purpose of this book was to talk about the importance of initiating (far too much, in my opinion) and to teach the reader that choosing to be reserved and having a fear of failure leads to a crippling life of complacency and stagnation. Such an idea didn't really need to have a book written about it, especially by such a highly-regarded author. To use a quotation from the book itself, "this is so obvious that it physically hurts me to type it."
on May 10, 2015
It's short and easy to read each chapter in the morning as a reminder to poke the box.
on December 28, 2014
Good book. Made me think. His books are simple, the messages are simple just like many authors. It's up to the reader to act of what is written.
on April 20, 2014
Poke the box is about getting started and seeing an idea or project through with out a boss or someone picking you to do it. Its about taking initiative and doing something. Get poking the box of your ideas and start failing at it so you can start seeing success in your life. This program is very true and if you don't want to hear the truth and get motivated, then don't buy this product! Stay miserable at your job the rest of your adult life.
on April 23, 2013
It got me off my butt and gave me the courage to find a way where there was no way before.

That's not precisely accurate. The way found me, once I was willing to get started.
on March 5, 2012
If you've read anything else by Seth Godin and liked it - GRAB THIS BOOK as it's a good one! If you are feeling like you can do more but you are lacking motivation or inspiration - GRAB THIS BOOK. If you are afraid of trying and failing - GRAB THIS BOOK.

And as he says - soon is not as good as now.

Full of motivational words and tidbits to get you off your butt and STARTING, it's well worth grabbing a copy and then sharing it with others while you get working on whatever it is you need to do to make an impact.

WARNING: if you're afraid of getting nudged you should probably not get this book. It will be hard to sit in the status quo once Seth's ideas get in your head!!

His perspective on innovation is worth reading about in addition to his inspiration to get started. He suggests organizing for Joy and challenges the methodology many big companies use to handle customers, basically saying if you have to put it in a manual, the chances of amazing someone are quite low. Joy comes from surprise, connection, humanity and new ... and that is hard to regulate.

And remember, if you're afraid of failure: ideas that don't get spoken ALWAYS fail. :)

Enjoy.
on November 6, 2011
This is the fist book of Seth Godin's I have read. I must admit I was a little skeptical when I first saw the small size of the book.
My sketicism was quickly dismissed.
As I read, I felt engaged and excited about the message Seth was sending. Seth is giving us permission to get off of our chairs and start things, now! Most importantly, the book quickly establishes that failure is virtually guaranteed and learning from our mistakes is all part of the process. Imagine, given permission to fail, how liberating!

The morning after I read this book I found myself at work, ready to take a leap of faith on some thoughts and ideas I had. The courage this little book instilled in me paid off. Thank you Seth, for nudging me forward.

The message is simple but so very important, and Seth is able to support the message both logically and through his obvious passion(appealing to both the rider and the elephant!).

Take the time to buy or borrow and share this book. Spreading this message is important.
on August 12, 2011
I admit : I am a huge fan of Seth.
I was not disappointed here.
Simply another kick in the b*** ?
well , we all need this once in a while.