5.0 out of 5 stars A good follow-up to The War of Art
Published on June 28 2011 by sculley

2.0 out of 5 stars Better books out there
Over the top and theatrical. I got the message: procrastination, over thinking can get in way of creation and getting things done. But a 30 second Nike commercial has the same message, without melodrama. As an engineer I don't consider rational thought as resistance, but a requirement so people don't get hurt.
Rationally, I can't recommend this book. ;)
Published on June 12 2012 by theprofit

5.0 out of 5 stars A good follow-up to The War of Art, June 28 2011
This review is from: Do the Work (Hardcover)
Writing this review is a form of Resistance for me right now, but I'm doing it anyways. Although the book is short and draws heavily upon parts of The War of Art, I've found it to be very helpful. It's brevity doesn't bother me, because it doesn't need to be flowery - it gets to the point, and that is what is needed. It's essentially a "how to" companion to The War of Art. It won't kick your butt, but it will help you understand what going on when the process of doing the work begins to break down and you're floundering. This and the War of Art are two of my bibles. I read them over and over again to constantly be reminded of what needs to be done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you on track, Jan. 9 2012
This review is from: Do the Work (Hardcover)
This is a condensed version of the War of Art, which makes it so handy as a quick pick up when you are pursuing your goals and getting sidetracked.
Having once gone through the entire process that the author talks about, I can say from experience he is dead on the mark.
I use this book as a reminder to myself to keep on going.
So easy to pick up and just open at any page and find the inspiration I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, Aug. 3 2011
This review is from: Do the Work (Hardcover)
Detailed as if the author has been reading my mail. I loved every part of it. I decided not to "ring the bell" and keep on going. After living like a failure for a year, I rescheduled the time to do the things I love to do for e.g running, and reading . It's a quick read and could give you that "second wind" you need to write that book, run that marathon, to start that business. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars A bible for the artist, Jan. 23 2013
Jeph Maystruck "@JephMaystruck" (Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do the Work (Hardcover)
Pressfield is one of my favorite authors of all time. This is similar to "The War of Art" but a different message. It's not so "fight the resistance" than "do more". He speaks to the inner artist/entrepreneur, don't for one second believe your journey will be easy, don't ever think you can take a short cut, and for those who have a work ethic, have passion, they will reap the rewards of what lies ahead in their journey of finding the artist within themselves.

You won't regret buying this book.
PS: If you ever get the chance to hear Steven Pressfield talk on a podcast listen in. It gives you a lot more context to where he's coming from in his writing. I believe Mitch Joel has interviewed him on the Six Pixels of Seperation Podcast. One of my favorite conversations for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Truth About Resistance, July 1 2014
This review is from: Do the Work (Kindle Edition)
A good quick read about the daily challenges of creating anything worthwhile. All great writers, artists and entrepreneurs have had to overcome resistance in one way or the other. As Steven says it a process and one has to Do The Work. The more you are willing to tackle the process on a daily basis the more successful one will be. There are no shortcuts. Even the greats have had failures. Some would say you can't have success until you have had a failure. Writing for example is the process of rewriting. Any of Steven Pressfield's books are thought provoking and worth reading. He has been on this journey a long time and has seen the ups and downs.
Time to Do The Work.

4.0 out of 5 stars should be required reading for writers, April 30 2014
This review is from: Do the Work(CD)(Unabr.) (Audio CD)
I found this so helpful. Filled with constructive ideas and support for writers just embarking on their writing career,I particularly enjoyed listening to it via DVD while driving in my car.

5.0 out of 5 stars great motivational read for procrastinators, March 10 2014
This review is from: Do the Work (Kindle Edition)
Simple and full of truth. Loved every page of it. Having wrote and "shipped" a book myself, i can certify every bit of resistance explained in Steven's work. Awesome work.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG - necessary reading!, March 1 2014
Melody Bondok (6426 98 Street Grande Prairie AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do the Work (Kindle Edition)
The book had me at the Foreword! It will definitely be on my re-read list of books; I experienced a lot of epiphanies due to the many thought provoking "pearls of wisdom" it contains. A must read for anyone struggling with getting started & staying motivated on ANY issue in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good actionable advice to get you through projects, Feb. 24 2014
Michael McFarlane (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do the Work (Kindle Edition)
"This book is designed to coach you through a project (a book, a ballet, a new business venture, a philanthropic enterprise) from conception to finished product, seeing it from the point of view of Resistance." I can see how the advice could be used for most projects, but the examples are almost all from the perspective of writing a book.

This is an excellent book, mostly about overcoming resistance and getting things done. I read quite a bit of self-development literature and this was not just more of the same. Highly recommended for action takers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, Feb. 1 2014
This review is from: Do the Work (Kindle Edition)
Do The Work has challenged me to the core and I am left with no more excuses not to start. I highly recommend this work for anyone who approaches a project with creative intent.

Do the Work
Do the Work by Steven Pressfield (Hardcover - April 20 2011)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.54