5.0 out of 5 stars Overcome resistance to living the life you love
Published on Nov. 5 2003 by Michelle Pettit

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to expectations
Published on July 15 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcome resistance to living the life you love, Nov. 5 2003
If you have a passion in your life -- writing, painting, music, sculpting, dancing, acting -- and if this passion is the reason you believe you're alive, then check out this book. One of Pressfield's premises is that we're all MEANT for something, we're each here for some reason, to create something in the world (Eternity is in love with the productions of time) and if we don't live for and through this, then we're wasting our time. He blasts away even the most stubborn and alluring resistances - the excuses we tell ourselves for not doing the work. This book can rev you up -- it's short (165 pages)and powerful. I breezed through the book in a few hours and felt energized. Pressfield puts art-making in perspective, puts procastination in perspective, and delivers in a direct, conversational tone -- as one human who is trying to live a life that means something to another. I've read a lot of "how to" books and most don't live up to their hype. This one deals with how to overcome the obstacles of ambition and how (and why) to discipline yourself. As much as a cliche as it may sound, it will make a difference in how you look at what you do. Give it to anyone else you know who wants to write, paint, act, dance, compose, and wants to follow their dream.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book on Beating Blocks and Procrastination, Aug. 30 2003
I teach entrepreneurship to both artists and non-artists at a Boston nonprofit. We encourage all of our students to read The War of Art, and everyone who has read it says it has changed their life. Often, upon finishing the book, students are motivated to make some major decision or change that they have been agonizing over, and many students also get their spouse or kids to read it.
TWOA's main virtue is the clarity, precision, and conciseness with which it describes both the causes of, and cure for, creative blocks. Thanks to its clarity, etc., the reader can easily assimilate the points Pressfield is making and apply that information to make changes in his or her life. Because TWOA nails its topic so effectively and efficiently, I actually think it is more useful than other books on this topic, including best sellers such as Covey's Seven Habits.
I don't agree with every point Pressfield raises--for instance, he is somewhat skeptical of therapy, whereas I think it is often crucial--but there is no denying that this is a fantastically useful and effective book. In "real life" and on Amazon, I recommend it to everyone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to expectations, July 15 2004
By A Customer
After reading several glowing reviews of this book, I was eager to read it for myself in an effort to unlock my own creativity. I did enjoy the first part (dealing with Resistance) because it did a good job of describing just exactly what kinds of forces creative people are up against and how those forces manifest themselves. If the rest of the book had been that good I would have given it 4 or 5 stars. However, I thought things really went downhill from there. Pressfield could easily have squeezed all the important and useful information in this book into absolutely no more than 50 pages. And I don't mean simply compressing all the text as opposed to using the "Life's Little Instruction Book" format with often no more than a short paragraph on a page, leaving the rest of the page blank. I can understand why the book is formatted that way. What I mean is that much of the book, and especially the information after part I, struck me as being so esoteric and repetitious that it was of little use and added nothing to the book. For instance, the point that an artist should simply stop procrastinating and get to work instead of waiting for inspiration to strike is a valid one, and I think Pressfield is correct that something kind of magical happens after the process starts. However, going on and on and on about this subject for several pages was unnecessary and monotonous. Pressfield also comments several times on his disdain for "self help" programs or "workshops," yet in the end this book struck me as being precisely that. I'm not a fan of the self help craze, so I felt uncomfortable with much of this book. Overall I am still glad I read this book, if for no other reason than to glean the helpful information in part I. However, I give it just 3 stars for these reasons and because the publisher has no business putting a $12 price tag on a book this short. If you have a chance to buy this book at a used book store or borrow it from someone, it's worth your time (and it won't take much time - I finished it in one day). Otherwise you're better off saving your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars The War of art, Oct. 28 2012
This review is from: The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles (Paperback)
Steven Pressfield is a great read for any writer wanting to understand why procrastination serves no benefit. Writing is a practice, like meditation, running or mindfulness. If you want help improving your writing practice, I urge you to read Mr. Pressfield's book. You won't be disappointed. He certainly walks the walk.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Creatively Perfect Procrastination-Busting Classic!, Dec 5 2010
Michael Pastien (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
"It is a friendly, easy to read, multifaceted, Getting-Things-Done, spiritual kick-in-the-butt reference book which is totally recommended 4 EVERYONE!

I've read many great books (including "How to Win Friends and Influence People" & "Think and Grow Rich"), and this one by Steven Pressfield IS one of the most vital breakthrough books ever written! I generally tend to judge a book by its cover, but that definitely wasn't the case with this un-showy masterpiece of creativity inspiration at its absolute, positive finest!

BUY it NOW and gratefully read it...It is an absolute bargain!

[PS: I do have to mention that this vital publication certainly merits a much more exemplary cover, and I wouldn't have bought it, had it not been highly recommended by (believe it or not) Robert T. Kiyosaki of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" fame]"

4.0 out of 5 stars Self Help, March 27 2014
This review is from: The War of Art (Kindle Edition)
This book can act as a self- help book for almost anyone. The topic that it covers does not only apply to people working in the fine arts but could easily be applied to daily life. I would recommend this book to anyone who is struggling to complete a goal and is having a hard time getting started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, March 24 2014
Heard about this book on the Joe Rogan Experience pod cast and it is definitely a must read. I wish I had a stack of these books to just hand out to people on the street. It has changed my life and allowed me to look at things in a completely different perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed….!, March 4 2014
Just what I needed. I have read this 3x already. Great read and motivating.
The right book at the right time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The war of art, Feb. 27 2014
Loved this book. I applied it to so many areas of my life. The concept is simple but Pressfield really hit home for me. Any ambition, project, profession or life goal needs this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound and eminently readable!, Feb. 25 2014
This review is from: The War of Art (Kindle Edition)
What an inspiration this book is for every writer, artist, and creator of beauty. A must read for students and anyone looking to make a difference in life.

ARRAY(0xab8e378c)