march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on November 14, 1997
A must read for those who like experiencing the frontier between dreams, nightmares and reality.
on February 4, 2004
This is by far the most confusing book I've ever read. Within the first paragraphs of the novel Rulfo grasps the reader's attention and pulls them into an unknown magical world...Comala. The never ending themes of ghosts, death, whispering, and love draw in a reader's every bit of imagination. After a first reading I was completely lost and most definitely would not feel comfortable with writing a full blown review. Although I strongly feel I need to read this book again to understand it one of the things I love about Pedro Paramo is that the reader is so confused! You keep reading, hoping a key passage will illuminate what this book really means! It's essential to keep an open mind while reading, there are so many angles you can look at this novel from. It truly is a remarkable piece of work, so be patient! Who knows? Rulfo's odd sense of style could be something you relate to the most! Good luck reading!
on February 19, 2004
For those who are not getting Pedro Paramo, here it is- the book is about the Mexican Revolution. Pedro Paramo represents Porfirio Diaz, who controlled Mexico from 1870's to 1910, when the revolution broke. The death of Susanna is the call of the revolution when the populace decides to do what they want, not what PP dictates. The misery afterwards? The misery of the revolution.
Other recomended ready? The Labyrinth of solitude (Octavio Paz) and The Burning Plain (En Llano En Llamas- Juan Rulfo).
With the Revolution in mind, the book becomes much clearer.
on October 13, 2010
Yes, Pedro Paramo is a confusing piece and yes, it is not an easy read, despite the fact that it does not exceed 150 pages. So if you are looking for an easy read, don't go for Pedro Paramo.

I started reading it in Spanish because I like reading in the original language when I can. Many great books are lost in translation. It was not long before I switched to the French version thinking that I was not understanding because of the language barrier. I finished and many things remained unclear. I LOVED it though to the point that the next day, I started reading it in Spanish this time: everything fell in place.

Pedro Paramo is a concise amazing piece of literature. In my opinion, it is a reader's dream. A novel told with several narrative modes, with no chronological order to the events. A minimalism in the description. Yet, the book covers ALL the questions (about life, death, power, revolution, illusion, religion, deception and love) in very few words.

This is the work of a master. A must-read!

Note: Anything I would say about the storyline would be a spoiler in my opinion.
on December 11, 2002
... I do not find Pedro Paramo to be a very well-written piece of literature. ... it is definitely not worth a spot on the International Baccalaureate curriculum. The main problem I have with it is that the author cannot finish a thought; he writes in the descriptive detail that everyone raves about, and then leaves everything up to the reader, and I find this to be an awful style of writing.
The 'flowing tangents of possibility' created by the writer are merely unfinished thoughts with a million answers...was that really the goal? It makes the task of analysis very difficult if there is no right answer to ANYTHING. Sure, this is acceptable for a few parts of the book, but if the author can't finish a thought, it becomes a puzzle of guessing, similar to one of those books that you read as a little kid where you skipped pages depending on the choice you made, and went back if you made the "wrong" choice. Unfortunately for us, however, we don't have the luxury of knowing when the choice was wrong. You could go a solid 60 pages thinking that a character was dead, only to have him/her come back and do something that a proves that he/she was alive the whole. Or maybe, he/she came back to life? You never know! I won't deny that if you are bored, this book will stimulate you; however, the lack of a positive answer makes it a random assortment of thoughts that any writer with half a mind could assemble, and not the critically acclaimed book that the IB Program loves. The constant lack of a firm answer makes it a frustrating piece of literature full of random complexities that I, as a publisher, would never have let out of the drafting stage.
on January 14, 2001
This book is trash! It has the same amount of depth and enjoyment as a Carrot Top movie. Some critics consider this a masterpiece, but it's not. The plot is unintelligable. It's my personal opinion that Juan Rulfo wrote this story after taking a few too many hits of acid. The narration constantly switches between random, unknown characters, and often, the reader is left clueless as to who is narrating the novel. The story isn't haunting, exciting, or memorable, rather it's like rape, it's something that you hope you can just repress and try and move on.
on November 5, 2001
I hated this book, it was filled with complete nonsense and jibber-jabber. In my whole life i have never read anything worse than Juan Rulfo's Pedro Paramo. I strongly recomend that whoever intended to buy this book rethink exactly how important it is to have.
However my english is still the greatest english teacher to ever live and i will not hold it against for choosing such a bad book.
on October 31, 1999
this book is way to confusing when you read it. You must keep detailed notes of everything just to get some points.
on March 23, 2016
Book in good condition but in English. I wanted it in Spanish.