5.0 out of 5 stars Very good place to start
Published on July 6 2009 by Luc Seguin

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy
Really nice book to overview electrical guitar building, really handy when you first start on your own, got list of all the steps and material and good overview on every single one of them.

Published 16 months ago by Alx

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good place to start, July 6 2009
Luc Seguin "guitar guy" (Surrey, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Building Electric Guitars: How to Make Solid-Body, Hollow-Body and Semi-Acoustic Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars (Paperback)
I'm going to echo everyone else on the photos which are sometimes too small or poorly reproduced for clarity, but I honestly did not feel this hindered in my enjoyment of the book itself. I will say that I love this book because I am tackling my first ever guitar build project. As such, this book is amazing because it is written in a very basic manner which is great for beginners. That is to say, the writer does not assume that you already know how to build a guitar. This is actually a good thing for me, as I found that several other "how to" guitar building books should have been titled "if you already know how to build guitars, this is how to improve upon your technique."

Again, if you are a skilled, experienced guitar builder perhaps you will find this book cumbersome, over-simplified or even lengthy, but if you have never built a guitar before this is the best book I have ever read for aspiring guitar builders.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent content - please improve the photos, April 24 2004
By A Customer
This book consists of 2 sections. The first section describes guitar components and guitar making tools. The second section describes various steps used in building a variety of different guitars. The book also lists vendors of guitar parts.
This book is very detailed and comprehensive. There are many practical suggestions and the writing is clear. There are no actual detailed plans. You are required to develop your own design. There are many guitar plans available from the internet so this is no problem. You must have some minimum wood working skills.
I give the book a 4 star rating because the small black and white photos are difficult to see. For any future edition, please use better quality photos to illustrate the work done. Also for any future edition, it would be interesting to include design ideas for pickup coil auto-winding devices, custom bridges, custom tailpieces and custom designed headless tuning systems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 4 2003
Francois Leblanc (Laval, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a great book about guitar building. It covers a lot of areas on the subject, from the basics of woodworking (how to season your wood, some router jigs etc.) to more advanced features such a winding your own pickups. If you are interested in the subject this is a great starting point. All subjects are very well covered but not necessarily always in depth; they are focused towards guitar building. Also the author is european and it shows through the book; you get to have a slightly different point-of-view on woodworking compared to most american books.
The thing that is pretty bad about the book is the editing. It doesn't really have a well defined organization and its difficult to browse; it lacks structure. I think the book is self published and in that case its very good work, but a real editor would have helped a lot.
All in all, I think this book is one of at least a few that are musts if you are serious about guitar building. What's the cost of a book compared to a guitar anyway?

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy only one book, make sure that it's this one!!!, April 8 2002
Joseph N Falzon (Perth, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
(At the time of writing) I have yet to even finish reading this excellent book and I'm totally convinced that this is the one book that will guide me through the entire process of guitar building. I have read both editions of Melvyn Hiscock's "Make your own electric guitar" (and would also recomend them), however, I feel that this book ought to be the bench mark. The author goes into every detail of guitar construction (three guitars are detailed) in a manner that is easy to follow and understand. My only complaint (sorry Martin!!) is that the detail contained in some of the accompanying photo's is a little hard to pick up (although not impossible!!). Congratulations on producing an excellent and most informative book! My thanks also to the translater of the original work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, bad publisher, March 2 2003
Alan Richrod "richroda" (Aberdeen, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Martin Koch has compiled a lot of good information in this book. I haven't seen this much information about electric guitars in any one book. If you are only going to buy one book on electric guitars (why would you, really) this is a good one. He goes into winding pickups, various wiring ideas, and several building techniques. The problem (really the only one) is that the illustrations, while numerous, are quite small and poorly reproduced. You can see what each one is but there were obvious registration and focus problems. It looks like they used digital images of low resolution. The publisher should have taken more care. That said it's not enough to make me regret the purchase. This is a valuable addition to my library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy, Aug. 9 2013

The down side is the picture are too small, too dark and black and grey, I don't mind the lack of colour but better quality would help in order to better appreciate the pictures.

Otherwise great book to have in your string instrument building collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good for starters, Feb. 28 2003
sheila (Omaha, NE United States) - See all my reviews
Im 15 and built a guitar from the help of this book i would reccomend this to anyone with the interest of building guitars

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Nov. 30 2014