4.0 out of 5 stars Into the mind of a Genius
I am a big fan of Nobu's art; a miraculously simple, yet greatly inventive Japanese-Peruvian cuisine.
This book gives a representative sample of what Nobu's is capable of.
Published on Feb. 18 2003 by the_enchanted_monk

3.0 out of 5 stars great photography, somewhat impractical
Published on Feb. 19 2002 by Sushi_Grrl

4.0 out of 5 stars Into the mind of a Genius, Feb. 18 2003
the_enchanted_monk (Flushing, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nobu: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
This book gives a representative sample of what Nobu's is capable of.
- RECIPES: step-by-step, easy to follow, and do not require sophisticated equipment. The pictures are nice and self-explanatory. In fact, Nobu's trademark dishes (New Style Sashimi, Tiraditos and Ceviches) are quite easy to reproduce with little effort or time. The only reason why I did not give this book a perfect mark is that I felt some sauces missed the mark, as if they were lacking an ingredient (my Matsuhisa Dressing trials greatly differ from the one I tasted in Nobu's restaurants). Plus, on rare occasions, the editor fails to specify which type of vegetable oils must be used (ex: in the spicy creamy sauce).
- INGREDIENTS: many are easy to find in North America. Some are almost impossible to acquire if you do not live in a major city (for example Maui onions, sansho, etc.). Nevertheless, most of these ingredients can be successfully substituted with more common ingredients; for example, Menegi for Chives, Yuzu for lemon and lime juice, Monkfish liver for Duck or Goose Foie Gras, and so on.
Like other viewers, I couldn't care less if Kenny G., Gandhi or Rasputin have been Nobu's clients. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this book for all novice cooks and food lovers.

3.0 out of 5 stars great photography, somewhat impractical, Feb. 19 2002
Sushi_Grrl (Orange, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nobu: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I love the local L.A. Nobu restaurants (Matsuhisa and Ubon), and I enjoyed the book from a purely entertainment perspective. The photographs are beautiful, and I found some of the recipes to be fairly do-able. However, it is noteworthy to mention that quite a few ingredients are difficult if not impossible to find in the U.S., even at Japanese specialty markets (Nobu himself admits that he included recipes that have "many ingredients that can only be found in Japan."). These are interesting, but I don't make it to Japan often enough to be able to whip these dishes up for my dinner parties.
Another thing I found somewhat annoying was all of the Hollywood name-dropping the book is peppered with. I don't really care which celebrities have dined in the various Nobu restaurants, nor do I care what their favorite dishes are. The fact that Nobu once made lunch for Princess Di was equally unimportant to me. The thing I really appreciated was learning more about the quality and "kokoro" (heart) that goes into some of the dishes I've enjoyed at Matsuhisa. The book definitely inspired me to go and eat there again soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable and useful, Nov. 3 2001
This review is from: Nobu: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
After sampling a variety of creations at Nobu-London, I was thrilled to receive this cookbook. However, in the hours between receiving it and reading it, I pondered the seemingly inevitable: I thought I'd be let down, and would discover a shallow book assembled by the Nobu marketing staff.
My passing qualms were misplaced, and I couldn't be more pleased. The writing is lucid, the book readable, the advice welcome and reasonable, the recipes clear, and the range of dishes exciting. Already, I've made 2 superb appetizers, and have a main course marinating in the fridge. Other dishes are to come. My spouse, a non-sushi-eater until a few years ago, has glowed about the dishes sampled thus far, and is anticipating many more soon.
This is not anybody's main cookbook (or even in the main set), but should accessorize any amateur chef's collection when in the mood for fusion food and inspired/inspiring combinations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A workhorse of a cookbook with stunning photography, Oct. 29 2001
This review is from: Nobu: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Exquisitely beautiful and destined for many joyful hours in the kitchen. This book is rich in stories that tie food to culture.
It is also filled with a treasure trove of easy to follow recipes. Having cooked my way through most of the book after many years of "guessing" the layers that make up Nobu's cuisine, I feel like I have been given wings.
This book provides a strong foundation in both ingredients and techniques but even more impressively it provides a fantastic tutorial on the principles of combining color, texture, and flavor.
The chapter on Nobu Sauces and Basics is well worth the price of the book. Don't just be seduced by the photography, this is a book that you can cook from!!! If you don't like your cookbooks dog-eared and oil stained, you may have to buy two- one
for daily use, the other for your coffee table.

This review is from: Nobu: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
for daily use, the other for your coffee table.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, Aug. 8 2003
This review is from: Nobu: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Almost like magic! My expectations were muted when I first tried to re-create a snapper sashimi dish we had adored at Nobu in Las Vegas, but low and behold it was the same incredible flavor. When you make something from a recipe in this book, it will taste like the dish you tried at his restaurant (assuming you can find the same quality of ingredients of course). Nobu is beyond generous to share his trade secrets with the rest of us in this gorgeous well written relatively easy to follow book. I keep it on my kitchen counter! Remember, making sushi requires time, time to develop the skills. There is no substitute for lessons and practice (along with the proper tools and most importantly the ability to acquire and discern quality sushi/sashimi fish), but this book can have you eating the genius of Nobu at home!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Dec 31 2001
M. Nguyen "VN Mamma" (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nobu: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I first discovered Nobu Matsuhisa's talent when I went to his restaurant, Matsuhisa, in LA. I was truly amazed by the quality of the dishes and his creativity. Hence, I was more than excited to learn that he had a cookbook.
This book is made for cooks of all levels. All the techniques and ingredients are thoroughly explained and the recipes are complicated enough to make interesting dishes. Nobu Matsuhisa also lets you into his life and accomplishments. Quite impressive!
I also liked the list of Japanese grocerie stores available by neighborhood. I went to one, Mitsuwa, and was really impressed with the quality of the fish.
I'm very glad I got this book. I'm still gonna stop by Matsuhisa every time I'm in LA but now, I can impress my guests with a "Nobu" dish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Charming and Creative Cuisine, Jan. 3 2002
rodboomboom (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nobu: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is a intimidating cookbook when first opened. It's source is one of the world's renown chefs and the cuisine shall we say is one that most of us don't have access to (all of the exotic seafood: eels, abalone, etc. and sushi).
However, there are many dishes which one with access to fresh, high quality seafood and basic chef skills can achieve some success with. I've had raves over the Grilled Scallops with Tabbouleh Salsa as well as Baked Monkfish Medley with Tosa-Zu and the Lobster Salad with Spicy Lemon Dressing, Green Tea Parfait.
High level cooking with fusion of Japanese and other cuisines. Beatifully composed and produced with wrap-around photos of brilliant color. Inspiring book to challenge one's menu with this creative, famous cuisine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great food, but labor intensive, Nov. 5 2002
This review is from: Nobu: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
While many of the recipes we have tried from this book have produced excellent results, it is not for the novice nor for the cook who cannot find exotic ingredients. We live in the San Francisco Bay area and must make special trips to the Asian seafood markets because the local grocer, although high-end, does not carry the exotic varieties of fish and shellfish that he uses. He does not offer suggestions for substitutions.
The food is very good, but you can tell that this is definitely a vanity cookbook. I don't think most home chefs could use this book - it is definitely for the obsessive foodie who would go to any lengths to prepare his recipes. Good for special occasions or for those who have a lot of time and resources for foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful addition to my cookbook collection!, Jan. 31 2003
This review is from: Nobu: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
This cookbook has beautiful pictures that show off this great collection of Nobu recipes. The recipes are well written and easy to follow. You don't have to be a gourmet cook to make them. I don't care for sushi myself but many of the other recipes sound really good! Some reviewers mention the hard-to-get ingredients but even if you live in a small town like I do you can order most of the seasonings online. Just do a search under Asian food and you will find several online stores with reasonable prices. As for the exotic fish, just substitue any similar fish from your local market! Don't let the recipe ingredients intimidate you and you will really enjoy this cookbook!

Nobu: The Cookbook
Nobu: The Cookbook by Matsuhisa Nobuyuki (Hardcover - Sept. 27 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 6.15