5.0 out of 5 stars see it

Published on Feb. 12 2004 by Micheline Harvey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars see it, March 24 2004
This review is from: Little Darlings (VHS Tape)
tatum oneal and christie mcnichol playing ferris and angel, one girl from the high society and one from the inner city with a car that puts out more smoke and bang than it does drive. both girls though totally different are dealing with things with their parents and the confusion and pains of growing up. they meet on a camp bus and are quickly targeted by the camp tramp who puts them against one another (even more than them being completly different did naturally) in a competition to see who will lose their virginity first. wow, another part of growing up....> PEIR PRESSURE.. lol
well the story isnt dull by any means, its funny, its cute and despite the fact that your kid should atleast be about 13 before they see it, i dont see why a kid should have to wait and see it when their 17 because of an r rating because if this film was done in todays time it would have been pg-13, no question. "down to me" with freddie prince jr and julia styles was trashy in comparison sexually and not done in the humor that this film is done.
the soundtrack is great, followes in with the times with music from "let your love flow" to john lennon. your gonna love "little darlings"...
its a story of finding true friendship, breaking down barriers from different lifestyles, lost youth, peir pressure, first loves, rebellion (gotta love it when christie mcnichol (angel) decides to get her guy drunk so hell get turned on and he passes out with her saying "your suppose to get turned on stupid not pass out". ) and somewhere in the mix finding people inside of your parents.
tatum oneal is great in her role and she is the reason i saw it in the first place (i was hooked after paper moon) but i have to say that matt dillon and christie mcnichol truly shine in this movie. almost litterally, theirs like a shine or a spark to the way they are on the screen in the film. makes ya laugh and smile and ache for more of the movie...

3.0 out of 5 stars Music is a very important element, Feb. 12 2004
Micheline Harvey (Québec, QC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Darlings (VHS Tape)
I loved this movie when I was 15 and still do. I hope to watch it with my daughter in a couple of years. What really disappointed me was the fact that they changed the music for several scenes. Not only the Bellamy Brothers Let Your Love Flow that played over the credits, but the lovely and haunting Oh My Love by John Lennon that played when Angel went to the cabin with Randy as well as others were replaced by some very boring and unknown songs. To me, music is an integral part of a movie experience. This let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite 80's movies!, July 23 2003
This review is from: Little Darlings (VHS Tape)
I can't wait for this movie to be released on DVD - altho who knows when that will be!
Yes, the video version is different from the one on cable and at the movie theatres - different songs, and I have seen this movie played on regular TV before with addional scenes which were not shown in the theatre or on cable TV (which I hope are included in any possible DVD release).
I think the songs were changed because of licensing reasons and this isn't the first movie this has happened with (Sixteen Candles - is another movie with different songs on the video version in comparison to the actual theatre release).
Anyway, I saw this movie in the theatres when I was 14 - and it's a good one. A bit hokie here and there, but Kristy (who is mostly a "baby ..." in this movie), is sort of too "unbelievable" as a girl who would fall for Matt Dillon - but more-so for one of her fellow girl campers! But, nonetheless, I loved Kristy in this movie and she was a "natural" for this role! (she has since publicly come out of the closet - by the way!). I'm pretty sure a lot of fledging lesbians modeled themselves after Kristy's role in this one!
Tatum O'Neal is good too - but I think her role in Paper Moon was her best ever movie!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Darlin' Movie, Oct. 22 2001
Axolotl (Honolulu HI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Darlings (VHS Tape)
I first saw this film when I was barely an adolescent and hardly remembered anything at all except it was about two girls on hijinks at summer camp. Now after viewing it for the second time about fifteen years later, it's not at all the silly, bubblebrained teenage fluff I vaguely but falsely remembered it to be. The beginning half seemed the usual fare of two girls--Kristy McNichol and Tatum O'Neal--vying with one another to lose their virginity first, but then takes a surprising and poignant turn by becoming sincerely serious and depthful. Although O'Neal is enjoyable enough and downright endearing at times as a cultured, romantic rich girl, it's truly Kristy that steals the show with her poignant portrayal of a tough kid from "the wrong side of the tracks" who on the surface appears to be ready for anything and not afraid of anyone but then wisely realizes (albeit belatedly) that she has been pushed into something she was not yet ready for. Also great are two young men who would soon be well known--a hot Matt Dillon and a very sexy Armand Assante who become Kristy and Tatum's objects of affection respectively!

3.0 out of 5 stars A box-office hit!, Nov. 25 2000
Jon Sieruga (San Bernardino, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Darlings (VHS Tape)
If people don't know about this film or simply can't remember much about it, must be because they weren't moviegoers in the early months of summer, 1980. I was fifteen at that time and saw "Little Darlings" in an actual theater, then once again in another theater, then at a DRIVE-IN. It was a huge hit. It packed theaters. It was also the original version(not the version UPN shows or the butchered version originally aired on NBC in 1983 or currently on Comedy Central: songs are dropped, discarded footage replaces "risque" footage, and lines are ludricrously overdubbed). It's actually an uneven film that tries mixing seriousness and slapstick together(like an R-rated Parent Trap!), but the ease of Kristy's colorful, natural performance pulls it together. Tatum looks lovely, but seems disinterested (a lot of heavy sighing, like she's bored--although her scenes with camp counselor Armand Assante are rather sweet). For many early video prints, background songs were changed due to publishing rights, but at least all the right scnes are there. Bypass this on TV and get the video. It's a charming piece about the foibles of growing up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable movie, May 29 2003
This review is from: Little Darlings (VHS Tape)
Little Darlings is movie about two very different teenage girls(Tatum O'Neal as rich girl Ferris,Kristy McNichol as tough girl Angel) at summer camp who enter into a contest to see who loses her virginity first.
That may not sound very exciting,but the young cast really makes this film enjoyable.Tatum O'Neal does decent job,but it's Kristy McNichol who really shines in her role.
The rest of the cast includes (a very young)Cynthia Nixon,Matt Dillon,and Armand Assante.
I have one beef with this video edition.I saw the movie on cable and the Bellamy Brothers' "Let Your Love Flow" played over the closing credits.It was replaced on this video with some generic late 70s/early 80s pop song.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great "Coming of Age" Movie., Sept. 25 2001
Sheila Germain (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Darlings (VHS Tape)
My mother took me to see this movie the summer I turned 10 (after seeing it once to ensure it was appropriate). It helped me to understand, in a non-confrontmental way, some of the issues that I was heading into in my own life. It opened up a dialogue of discussion between my mother and myself about several topics involved in the movie from peer pressure to self-asteem to the ownership of one's body. If and when I have a daughter, I will share this movie with her and hopefully she will respond in a similar manner as I did.
While it is not a masterpiece, it is a sweet movie about two girls, competitiveness, friendship and the feelings of insecurity we all (at least us girls) had as teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Teen Flick, Jan. 12 2002
This review is from: Little Darlings (VHS Tape)
I seen this movie when I was about 11 years old. I'm now 14 and I still love watching this movie. At first I couldn't understand what everything meant. But now at 14, I understand that sex isn't what it's made out to be. Like in the movie where after Angel and Randy have there fling, Angel cries. It's because she realized your virginity is something you can't get back.
All the actors were good at portraying the roles. I loved Matt Dillon in those tight jeans and shirts.OOH LALA! Badass Angel turned sweet at the end, but Ferris, she turned into a naughty girl. I would recommend this movie to anyone. I may someday find myself watching it with my own daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars surprise, Feb. 4 2004
This review is from: Little Darlings (VHS Tape)
Lets see who will get the hottest guy and lose our virginity first. Sounds slutty but this movie is about learning about yourself and peer pressure and all that other good stuff that forms zits in out adolesent years.

4.0 out of 5 stars What Happened!, March 17 2002
Kirsty Bradford (York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Darlings (VHS Tape)
It has been a few years since I last saw the film and although I thought it was still an excellent movie I was so dissapointed that the music/songs had changed for the video, I felt quite cheated!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Little Darlings
Little Darlings (VHS Tape - 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 49.97