5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic workout
Published on Aug. 9 2002 by Christine

3.0 out of 5 stars Well....at least the floorwork was good.
Published on July 26 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic workout, Aug. 9 2002
Christine (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This workout is just incredible. If you are OK with being sore, you will do fine. This is one of the only workouts I've ever done that I KNOW is doing something to shape my body. Also, even though I'm never attracted to women, Susan, the instructor, is so sexy she even turns ME on. I'm not sure whether this is a JOKE during the workout or not, but her gorgeous body and sexy voice are an inspiration! I mention this because it might actually get on some people's nerves.
Also, don't let the difficulty of the workout discourage you. I think anyone who starts with this one may have difficulties with heavy weights, but you'll be able to work up to heavier weights once you build your strength. The point is to just keep moving and the maximum resistance you can stand, just be patient and do your best! It's totally awesome and once you can keep up, you will start to feel like a fitness monster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome workout! But some cautions..., July 2 2002
This is the first of the FIRMS - the one that started it all, and I was anxious to try it out to see what started the whole FIRM following.
After having done it several times, I have this to say:
This is a workout for ADVANCED exercisers, or for those who definitely want to be advanced. Even if you thought you were advanced after months of kicking away to advanced taebo, this workout could still kick your butt. The floor work on this tape is some of the hardest out there. For amazing results, this video is one of the best. But what else can you expect from an hour long work-out with weights, cardio and extended floor work. They are not kidding about results in 10 workout hours - you WILL see them. That however does not mean you will lose 50 pounds in ten days - just that you will be on your way to loosing them faster than with just about any other exercising video out there, and you will start getting beautifully toned.
However, before you grab this video at the nearest store there are a couple of things I would want to point out:
1. This work-out was done in the mid 80s. If leotards, make-up and 80s music get in the way of your work-out you will not enjoy this. Also, if you currently do the more recent FIRMS and have not tried one of the original 6, you should know that the earlier videos are quite different from the later ones and you might not necessarily like the setting, music or the way the instructors cue.
2. This, being an earlier work-out does not demonstrate the safest version of moves. As an example you do not squat to pick up or release your weights, and also in some of the lunges people's knees extend over their toes. If you already know about proper form you can do this work-out without following the bad example, but if not you may be better off picking up a tape where proper form is talked about and well demonstrated - some of the later FIRM tapes do a much better job at that.
3. Finally, you need a set of dumbells for this workout (3,5, and 8lbs for women, 5,10,15 for men to start with) and ankle weights that are optional but recommended as you get stronger. As a beginner you should do the tape without weights and rest as needed, not doing the whole work-out your very first time. It will be practically impossible with that intensive leg work anyway.
Keeping all that in mind you will enjoy this video if you want to do something serious for maximum results and have the time, equipment and determination necessary to succeed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well....at least the floorwork was good., July 26 2002
By A Customer
I just started The Firm and have been using the new body sculpting system for almost a month. I picked up this video to accompany it, because it received such rave reviews. The only advice I can give is if you are a new "Firm Believer", don't get this tape. While the copyright says the tape was made in 2001, it is merely a rerelease of the original Firm workout from the 1980s. That being said, there have been a lot of newer innovations in exercise science since this tape was made almost 20 years ago, and many of the standing moves are just not as safe as the moves in the newer Firm tapes. Also, this tape clearly was made before the concept of "slower is better" came about, because there a lot of jerky movements, and does anyone realize that in the cardio segments Susan is telling you to jump around with 5lb weights??? I have to say though that the floor exercises were really great. I just don't know if they were worth the cost of the tape. Do yourself a favor and if you are new to the Firm, buy a tape that really is newer, not just a rerelease of older unsafe moves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Susan Harris is the best!, Feb. 7 2004
janice "Janice" (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This video has me spoiled, I am constantly searching for workout tapes on par with this one. The 80's look doesn't bother me at all. This workout is the only one that has actually slimmed my legs in a few months -- and I was only doing it 3-4 times per week. The music may be hokey to some, but I think it creates a rhythm that makes the moves easy to follow. It is also very relaxing.
This is an intense workout, but in some ways it's so easy to follow that I actually find myself enjoying it. The first 2-3 times I tried it, I found myself overwhelmed, but I quickly became able to do it. The only parts I skip are the jumping jacks, as they are too hard on my knees. I also modify my lunges so that they aren't so deep, again because I want to protect my knees.
I can't say enough about this tape and I think Susan Harris is an excellent instructor. I have tried some of the more recent firm tapes. They were all compilations of various instructors and I found them choppy and nerve-wracking. This tape has a definite flow to it. The camera work is pretty good, too. I have tried tapes where the camera man would just focus on the instructor's face when she begins a new routine, so you can't even see watch she is doing. This tape is easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't say enough, June 11 2004
J. Laudermilch "The snarky critic" (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firm Total Body: Body Sculpting Basics [Import] (VHS Tape)
The great thing about the old Firm tapes and the new FitPrime workouts is that you can ALWAYS make them more challenging. Even after you memorize the entire workout forwards and backwards, there is always the possibility of adding more weights to make it tough. This particular workout includes an exhausting thirty minute floor routine that primarily works every muscle in your legs. I saw results in less than ten workouts. Some beginners may not like the layout at first, but remember do not use weights! Just do the exercises to get familiar and work your way up. The new Firm tapes pale in comparison, so do yourself a favor and go back to the beginning, you and your body will be thankful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Workout Ever!, June 1 2004
It's about 60 minutes you don't see. The results are clear and I have lot's of fun with it. Suzan Harris is such a good instructor which makes the workout a lot easier. I get to work my whole body. The best pay off is to hear from my husband he happily see the change as my muscles and skin are firmer and my body getting in perfect shape!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Body Sculpting Workout, May 10 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Firm Total Body: Body Sculpting Basics [Import] (VHS Tape)
If there is one tape you use to get in shape this one should be it. I am not an exercise nut, but I can not begin to tell you how much this tape has helped my overall figure. If you do it you will see results. It takes time to build up to the entire tape so don't get immediately discouraged. This workout is truly fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars This workout is NO JOKE, April 28 2004
This review is from: Firm Total Body: Body Sculpting Basics [Import] (VHS Tape)
It works everything, the old school way, by blood, sweat and tears!!! I give it 4 stars because some of her technique and form is incorrect. But overall, it is an effective workout from top to bottom. If you want to purchase this video and all of the other older Firm videos go to [...] Many of the older videos are also on DVD from colleagevideo, including this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars My All-Time Favorite Firm Video, April 12 2004
M. Berrong "serpentine13" (los angeles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Firm Total Body: Body Sculpting Basics [Import] (VHS Tape)
Wow, looking at all of the other reviews made me feel better about the fact that this is the only Firm tape I choose to do. Yes, it's old, yes there are leodtards and LOTS of blush, but it's great! When the Firm came out with their newer tapes a few years ago, I tried them. Now, there are collecting dust in the corner of the bookshelf. This is the hardest tape I have come across. I've been religiously using this tape since 1996 and it's still a challenge. Because you can always up your weights, it's a great workout for beginners or the advanced. Don't join Bally's, save yourself time and money and just purchase this video(...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Challenging Workout Ever, March 24 2004
Wendy A. Sharpe (Smyrna, Georgia) - See all my reviews
I am a Firm believer and I must say that this video is the best Firm video ever. It is challenging. Even though it is quite dated (80's workout attire) the routine is classic. The inner thigh work is the best. I look forward to doing this video every time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaac74360)

Firm Total Body: Body Sculpting Basics [Import]
Firm Total Body: Body Sculpting Basics [Import] by Mark S. Henriksen (VHS Tape - 2000)
Out of stock