5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Movie
For many years, I would watch this movie on TV every May 1st.I would wake up in the middle of the night to feel the emotion and joy of Marcia and Paul in love. Now that I have it on VHS, I can watch it as often as I wish.
Published on May 4 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars When Less Means More
Published on Dec 6 2001 by maryn2

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Movie, May 4 2004
This review is from: Maytime (VHS Tape)
They do not make love stories, nor musicals like this any more.It is a classic. It moves me every time I watch it. And when they sing at the fair "Sweetheart" I get very tearful.
Thank you Jeanette and Nelson, for making this beautiful film.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than happy, July 28 2003
This review is from: Maytime (VHS Tape)
When I bought this vhs, I was not expecting such a quality in sounds and clearness. This film was made in the 30 after all. And what made me happier is that the story keep us awakened from the beginnig till the end. The lovely voice of Jeanette MacDonald is an enchantment in all the opera'a arias she sings. Nelson Eddy is also good, but not enough to be the opera singer they expected from him. But what a story! And, woudl it be only for Jeanette lyrics and her fascinating eyes, it is worted more than the price I paid for it. Three times BRAVO!

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MUSICALS I'VE EVER SEEN!!!, June 18 2003
This review is from: Maytime (VHS Tape)
Though usually I don't like to watch anything of this sort I enjoyed the thrilling plot. It was wonderfully acted and is one of the best videos I've seen from the 1930's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colour or coloratura?, Dec 30 2002
Stewart Wentworth (Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maytime (VHS Tape)
Certainly the most splendid of MGM's 30's musical fests. Jeanette looks a treat - watch John Barrymore telling her, "....silly young men only fill the gallery!" - "Yes, Nikolai!" as Jeanette stares (shortsightedly - she photographed better without her glasses!) directly into the camera. The film was originally going to be MGM's first in 3-strip Technicolor (Jeanette had to wait until December 1938 for that "Sweethearts" treat)but when producer Thalberg died in September 1936 all existing footage was scrapped and the film was reshot. The opera sequences are poorly chosen and badly formatted, but the film is unsurpassable; it will remain in your memory forever. It was Jeanette's favourite movie, and it shows. It was also MGM's biggest moneymaker of 1937 (just look at the competition that year and you'll see how good that made it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Will you remember the day?, Sept. 19 2002
Rick D. Barszcz (bristol, ct United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maytime (VHS Tape)
My grandmother took me to the Bristol Theatre when i was just a kid for a revival of all these great Jeanette & Nelson films. (in the 50's) I loved them all but "Maytime" was my favorite. I remember feeling really sad and being perplexed with my grandmother crying at the end of the movie. I thought it was sad too but,,,,,. Then years later after my grandmother passed away i saw it again and saw what she saw in this film. It was pure beauty, love, romance, tragidy and reunion of the spirit. I have this film now and each time i watch it i think of that special time with my grandmother. This film will always have that meaning for me and the song "Sweethearts" has always been my favorite song. This might sound mushy to some people but i'm glad i have those wonderful memories of my grandmother thanks to this wonderful film. Just one small piece of advise. Have the tissues ready at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maytime, May 1 2002
Kymberli (Baltimore, Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maytime (VHS Tape)
I have been a fan of Jeanette McDonald & Nelson Eddy since I was a child; singing along to their love songs and watching their movies with my Grandmother. She taught me to appreciate the beautiful voices of Jeanette McDonald & Nelson Eddy. Maytime has always been my favorite. They are both so absolutely beautiful in this movie. It's a tragic love story, but love prevails in the end. Flipping through channels, if it's on, I'm watching. I'll call my Grandmother to let her know it's on t.v., & she's already watching it (even though she has a copy at home). If you're in the mood for a great movie - this one's for you. Have a lot of tissues handy. Happy May Day Mommom. I love you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful lovestory--Gorgeous voices, Jan. 8 2002
Christine Souter "kinder2003" (millbrae, ca. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maytime (VHS Tape)
This is the most critically acclaimed film of America's Sweethearts--Nelson Eddy & Jeanette MacDonald. A tragic lovestory with haunting music shows both stars at their best. The chemistry between the two is undeniable; a public display of professional and personal affection. Great script, supporting players, lavish sets, and the stars' gorgeous voices make this a classic.

3.0 out of 5 stars When Less Means More, Dec 6 2001
"maryn2" (Hampton, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maytime (VHS Tape)
"Maytime" is the only film of the MacDonald/Eddy series that is conservatively paced with a well-defined beginning, clarifying middle and unpredictable end. I especially appreciate director Leonard's camera honesty portraying Marcia (Jeanette) as an older woman in later life with gentle wrinkles masterfully applied.... No 25-year-old baby face wearing a white wig, Jeanette (Marcia) proudly displays aging with a natural grace. This is a woman magnificent at any age, her inner beauty shining throughout, primarily a credit to Jeanette. Flashbacks sweep us
back decades to Napolean's Paris and Marcia's young adulthood as
a student vocalist. Her voice teacher Nicolai, (John Barrymore)
is in desperate love with her and seeks her hand in marriage.
She accepts, seeing the marriage as a convenience with few obstacles. Shortly thereafter, however, Marcia meets the true love of her life, Paul (Nelson Eddy), a struggling voice student at Maytime festival. They quickly fall in love but true to
herself, Marcia's promise to marry Nicolai prevails. Paul and Marcia part painfully to the strings of "Will You Remember?" When their paths cross again years later, the challenge to
Nicolai - who has always known his young wife's love for Paul - is too strong to handle. In reliable Barrymore form, Nickolai silently takes the matter into his own hands with desperate results. "Maytime" is gentle, sweet..and sad. It is easily digested but lacks the energy we see in "Rose Marie", "Naughty Marietta" or "Sweethearts". Nonetheless, the simplicity of "Maytime" and its characters is a pleasant hiatus. When done
with understated quality, less can indeed be more.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAYTIME, Nov. 9 2001
This review is from: Maytime (VHS Tape)
This is one of Jeanette MacDonald's and Nelson Eddy's best piece of work. I have watched the film many times and enjoy watching it again and again. The musical pieces are at their best. The costumes by Adrian are incredible. I can't say enough about this movie. I'm sure anyone that watches it will add it to their personal collection, as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very tender and romantic movie!, Aug. 24 2001
This review is from: Maytime (VHS Tape)
I think this is one of Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy's best films. It's a very moving and tender story, and makes you really believe in the power of love. I recommend this to any fan of Nelson and Jeanette, or anyone who likes a good romantic film, with a theme of eternal love.

ARRAY(0xb37b2420)

Maytime
Maytime by Robert Z. Leonard (VHS Tape - 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 40.00