5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasia
One chilhood classic that Iwanted for so long. Great quality of of sound and images. Probably in the t0p 3 of the bests disney ever.
Published on Sept. 28 2010 by Vincent Descôteaux

1.0 out of 5 stars Becareful
Please becareful when buying this DVD. The package say it's uncut but it really isn't. Disney felt they needed to censor some scenes because they might offend some black people. I'm a black person and I'm more offended by Disney lying to me then the scenes. I hope someday in the future Disney will think I'm mature enough to own a real uncut version.
Published on Jan. 14 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Becareful, Jan. 14 2003
By A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the film, 1 star for the edited DVD, Jan. 2 2004
Garrett Aja (North Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
Originally conceived as an elaborate Mickey Mouse short (only to blossom into a 2-hour feature film), Fantasia is one of the most ambitious movies ever, animated or otherwise, with its perfect marriage of classical music and animation (something that began with Disney's Silly Symphonies in 1929 and would continue to appear in Disney and Warner Bros. cartoons well after Fantasia's release in 1940). However, the film was a commercial and critical failure for the Disney studio, not picking up steam until the '60s, when it was a popular choice for college students (via 16mm prints) as a "head" film.
However, the film hasn't been treated well at all despite being popular for the past 30-40 years. Firstly, the film's dynamic "Fantasound" soundtrack (which was an optical surround-sound soundtrack printed on a separate 35mm reel from the actual video portion of the film) quickly deteriorated, and was eventually transferred to a vastly inferior magnetic tape (which has become garbled as that too has begun to decay). Additionally, Fantasia was re-edited after the initial roadshow version had run its course in an effort to increase the film's popularity with filmgoers in 1940. And finally, the Pastorale Sequence was sloppily edited in the late '60s in order to remove the black centaurettes who serve their white companions.
With this in mind, there was much hope in 2000 for a fully restored Fantasia for the film's 60th Anniversary (and the release of the sequel, the excellent Fantasia 2000). Hyped as being fully restored and uncut, it seemed as if Fantasia would finally be seen as it was supposed to be once again.
However, the Pastorale sequence remained edited, and the Deems Taylor segments were redubbed by veteran voice actor Corey Burton. While the latter change is understandable (since the audio for the expanded segments has come up missing), the former is quite disturbing, particularly since Fantasia is best viewed in an academic environment-which is also the perfect place to discuss the (thankfully outdated) social stereotypes involved in the Pastorale sequence. Given this editing, it's impossible to ecommend this DVD. However, given that Fantasia is such a vital part of Walt Disney's legacy (and also about to return to the studio vaults until as late as 2010), it's hard to imagine that anyone could hold off from buying this altered version of Fantasia before it gets discontinued.

2.0 out of 5 stars Devestating disappointment, Oct. 31 2003
By A Customer
As a lifelong musician and artist, Fantasia has been one of my all time favorite movies since I first saw it in theaters as a child. My wife, knowing my great love for this movie, bought the DVD version for me as a birthday gift. When I put the DVD on, however, my excited anticipation quickly turned to depressed disappointment.
I immediately realized that the voice of the narrator, Deems Taylor, whose wonderful and soothing voice spans the entirety of the movie, had been overdubbed with someone else's voice! Deems Taylor was a widely known and respected music critic in his time. He had a beautiful, deep sonorous and expressive voice. The sound of his voice was an essential part of the aural and musical magic of this film. Yet, the new owner's of Disney saw fit to overdub his voice with that of some squawky and squeaky sounding unknown, thereby ruining the entire film.
I did some research to find out why, in the name of "preservation", Disney studios would destroy this film in the way that they have. The reason, supposedly, was because they found old footage (which was NOT in the version we all knew and loved as kids) which they wanted to insert - but the audio on that obscure footage had been damaged. They felt they had to redub those voice overs. Fine. But then, in the process, they re-dubbed the entire film, even the parts that had not been damaged!
I understand, for historical interest, that some people might be interested in seeing the extra, obscure footage which had been edited out long ago , but that extra footage easily could have been put on a special features disc, not in the actual movie that millions of fans have come to know and love. This was a horrible decision by a studio which increasingly seems to have lost all sense of artistic taste and common sense. What a sad, sad disappointment.
Soon, I'll be buying a DVD recorder and I hope to preserve the original VHS version I have in that way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantasia DVD, Nov. 7 2013
Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I realize that this DVD was rather expensive but I felt that I'd take my chances this time (and I see now that it has gone up in price!). I thought that because it was around my birthday, that I'd like to have this one and was glad that it finally came out on DVD. When I watched it I also remembered that there was a lot of music in it. To me, it was still a very good movie, I thought. It brought back many memories for me when I was growing up and now that I have it, I can enjoy for a long time and watch it whenever I want!

It seems that things in DVD are getting more and more expensive especially for these "classic Walt Disney movies" but I guess a person -- if they want it bad enough, like anything else -- has to just 'bite the bullet' as you might say, and just look at the fact that it is the type of movie -- if you like it, you will get to enjoy it more and more BECAUSE of the fact that you can watch over and over again if you choose to.

Going out to movies theatres these days are most likely more expensive to do these days too, so if you have a limited income, it to me, makes more sense to invest in the DVD's for your own enjoyment because you can see it as much as you'd like to, and WHENEVER you'd like to. When you have that privilege, the movies you buy, pay for themselves! I also feel that if you can at least have that kind of 'control' over what the media gives out these days on TV, it makes it more worth your while in doing so. Like my other DVD's of this same "Walt Disney classic's" genre -- like Aristocats etc. I have been able to enjoy watching those too more than once since I bought them, and have had just as much enjoyment out of them as this one and some of the other new DVD's I just bought. Since I got rid of the 'basic cable' that we had for TV, I have had NO REGRETS as I can now watch 'what I want - when I want' and not have to put up with what the cable companies have to offer these days. If you still have to put up with that, then we all know WHO has control of the media!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasia, Sept. 28 2010
This review is from: Fantasia [Import] (VHS Tape)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, Dec 11 2013
I Got this as a gift for my little nephew who loves all things mickey mouse and he absolutely adored it

1.0 out of 5 stars Not usuable in Canada or US, Nov. 28 2013
This review is from: Fantasia (DVD)
Unusable on a Canadian or US TV or computer.
This is not indicated on the website. Although purchased from DVD Cineshop Canada must be returned to Italy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, Nov. 11 2013
I play this for my 2 year old grand daughter and she loves the music and animation. Its nice to have running while she plays and I enjoy it immensely too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film but not worth the money., Oct. 13 2013
You should buy the Special Edition with Fantasia & Fantasia 2000 in one. It's the same price as this. Otherwise in general, this movie of Fantasia never lets me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, June 24 2013
Kroket (IGNACE, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I saw this movie a long time ago, as a teenager. It was just after WW2 and my mom took us kids to see it in a theatre in a neighbouring town. Music was and still is my principal hobby and I was very impressed with the images on the screen and how they fit with the wonderful classical compositions. Some of the more modern pieces were a bit above my head but they certainly fit the story. The majestic Bach Toccata and Fugue was particularly impressive. I learned to play the Toccata later in life but never got past the the first half of the Fugue. Mickey Mouse and Dukas I liked right of the bat, but Beethoven's sixth Symphony has delighted me forever as do his other symphonies. The production of Fantasia is beautiful, as is the sound, undoubtedly much enhanced with the benefit of our latest technology. Fantasia is definitely a sonic experience, something I compare to a live performance of a Tchaikovsky symphony by a major orchestra. This Walt Disney masterpiece will stay with me as long as I live.

ARRAY(0xb393f8e8)

Fantasia [Import]
Fantasia [Import] by Wilfred Jackson (VHS Tape - 1992)
CDN$ 49.95