summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports Tools

Format: VHS Tape|Change

on January 14, 2003
Please becareful when buying this DVD. The package say it's uncut but it really isn't. Disney felt they needed to censor some scenes because they might offend some black people. I'm a black person and I'm more offended by Disney lying to me then the scenes. I hope someday in the future Disney will think I'm mature enough to own a real uncut version.
on October 31, 2003
As a lifelong musician and artist, Fantasia has been one of my all time favorite movies since I first saw it in theaters as a child. My wife, knowing my great love for this movie, bought the DVD version for me as a birthday gift. When I put the DVD on, however, my excited anticipation quickly turned to depressed disappointment.
I immediately realized that the voice of the narrator, Deems Taylor, whose wonderful and soothing voice spans the entirety of the movie, had been overdubbed with someone else's voice! Deems Taylor was a widely known and respected music critic in his time. He had a beautiful, deep sonorous and expressive voice. The sound of his voice was an essential part of the aural and musical magic of this film. Yet, the new owner's of Disney saw fit to overdub his voice with that of some squawky and squeaky sounding unknown, thereby ruining the entire film.
I did some research to find out why, in the name of "preservation", Disney studios would destroy this film in the way that they have. The reason, supposedly, was because they found old footage (which was NOT in the version we all knew and loved as kids) which they wanted to insert - but the audio on that obscure footage had been damaged. They felt they had to redub those voice overs. Fine. But then, in the process, they re-dubbed the entire film, even the parts that had not been damaged!
I understand, for historical interest, that some people might be interested in seeing the extra, obscure footage which had been edited out long ago , but that extra footage easily could have been put on a special features disc, not in the actual movie that millions of fans have come to know and love. This was a horrible decision by a studio which increasingly seems to have lost all sense of artistic taste and common sense. What a sad, sad disappointment.
Soon, I'll be buying a DVD recorder and I hope to preserve the original VHS version I have in that way.
on January 2, 2004
Originally conceived as an elaborate Mickey Mouse short (only to blossom into a 2-hour feature film), Fantasia is one of the most ambitious movies ever, animated or otherwise, with its perfect marriage of classical music and animation (something that began with Disney's Silly Symphonies in 1929 and would continue to appear in Disney and Warner Bros. cartoons well after Fantasia's release in 1940). However, the film was a commercial and critical failure for the Disney studio, not picking up steam until the '60s, when it was a popular choice for college students (via 16mm prints) as a "head" film.
However, the film hasn't been treated well at all despite being popular for the past 30-40 years. Firstly, the film's dynamic "Fantasound" soundtrack (which was an optical surround-sound soundtrack printed on a separate 35mm reel from the actual video portion of the film) quickly deteriorated, and was eventually transferred to a vastly inferior magnetic tape (which has become garbled as that too has begun to decay). Additionally, Fantasia was re-edited after the initial roadshow version had run its course in an effort to increase the film's popularity with filmgoers in 1940. And finally, the Pastorale Sequence was sloppily edited in the late '60s in order to remove the black centaurettes who serve their white companions.
With this in mind, there was much hope in 2000 for a fully restored Fantasia for the film's 60th Anniversary (and the release of the sequel, the excellent Fantasia 2000). Hyped as being fully restored and uncut, it seemed as if Fantasia would finally be seen as it was supposed to be once again.
However, the Pastorale sequence remained edited, and the Deems Taylor segments were redubbed by veteran voice actor Corey Burton. While the latter change is understandable (since the audio for the expanded segments has come up missing), the former is quite disturbing, particularly since Fantasia is best viewed in an academic environment-which is also the perfect place to discuss the (thankfully outdated) social stereotypes involved in the Pastorale sequence. Given this editing, it's impossible to ecommend this DVD. However, given that Fantasia is such a vital part of Walt Disney's legacy (and also about to return to the studio vaults until as late as 2010), it's hard to imagine that anyone could hold off from buying this altered version of Fantasia before it gets discontinued.
on August 22, 2002
The quality and presentation of this restored version of FANTASIA is wonderful. Finally restored, unseen since the initial release, are the complete introductory sequences, including a chimes player's accident with his instrument, the orchestra applauding Mickey Mouse, and the orchestra shuffling out for the intermission. Even the original title card has been returned to its proper place, during the intermission. (Some of the narration was rerecorded due to original voice tracks being no longer available.) But there is CONSIDERABLE CONTROVERSY over the continued censorship of the "Pastorale" sequence. Circa 1969, the seemingly racist shots of a black centaurette (similar to Our Gang's "Buckwheat") attending on the white centaurettes were cut from the film. Allegedly, the 1980 release's new soundtrack covered up the clumsy edit. Subsequent releases to video have used optical tricks to remove the appearance of black centaurs. In this "restored" version, some of the optical edits are still glaringly obvious.
The film survives as a masterpiece of filmic art, and this presentation of a "politically correct, original version" (my description) is tempting. But Disney does this release, and all customers and fans, a disservice by inappropriately calling it a "restored" and "uncut" version, when in fact it is NOT the version that was seen in the 1940 road shows. Let your buying conscience be your guide, but consider the significance of buying an "uncut version" that is not uncut.
on November 8, 2015
Quite possibly the best animated film of all time. Teaches childrren more about music and emotion than all the autotuned computer animated garbage you see today. Open your child's mind with this timeless classic
on December 31, 2000
The 1940 movie "Fantasia" is awesome - one of the best
animated films of all time. A definite five star
film.
Unfortunately, the DVD contains an altered version of the
movie. To make matters even worse, the advertising for the DVD is
deliberately false.
First of all, the DVD is being advertised as
being "uncut." This is not true. In reality, certain scences
that some people consider to be "offensive" have been
removed.
Secondly, the DVD is being advertised as having "the
original narration." This is also untrue. In reality, this DVD
contains a newly recorded narration.
on June 22, 2004
I recently viewed the 60th anniversary edition of Walt Disney's "Fantasia", and I think that this is the closest we will ever come to seeing and hearing Disney's original vision for this film. This DVD Edition sets things right by incorporating all of Deems Taylor's spoken introduction and linking narratives into the film for the first time since the film's premiere in 1940.
If anyone has seen the 1990 restoration that appeared on video in 1991, they will know to what I'm referring. In that edition we only see Taylor's face in the opening prologue. Later on, we hear his comments as a voice-over to medium shots of the orchestra as they tune their instruments. Those players on the screen, by the way, are not members of the Philadelphia Orchestra: they are actually studio musicians. The music for Fantasia was pre-recorded months prior to shooting in the Academy of Music in Philadelphia.
The DVD presents what was then known as the "roadshow" version of Fantasia, which toured a limited number of cities upon it's initial release. The film's distributor, RKO Radio Pictures, balked at the added expense involved in setting up special amplifiers and speaker systems to accomodate the requirements for the Fantasound soundtrack. The decision was made to trim some of the film's length, beginning with altering the narrative links, but also making horrendous cuts in some release prints (indeed, some later prints do not even contain the Bach Toccata and Fugue sequence.) At one point, Disney decided to take matters into his own hands and handle the distribution of the "roadshow" version himself. That version differs from subsequent release prints in that Taylor's face is visible throughought every linking narrative; and that the blue title card appears at the start of the intermission that follows Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. In the 1990 restoration the title card appears at the start of the film. Also, the original release had no screen credits: special programs with those details were distributed to patrons. The DVD edition also doesn't have screen credits, but information about the animators is touched upon during the commentary by Rudy Behlmer, et al.
With regard to the soundtrack, the original optical, nine-track elements (which were mixed down to three tracks for the master print) have been missing for several decades. In 1955, the decision was made to transfer the extremely fragile and potentially unstable nitrate soundtracks to a four-track magnetic tape, because it was feared that the original tracks might not survive for much longer. This was done by playing the original tracks at RCA in Los Angeles and relaying the audio over telephone wires to the Disney Studios in Burbank. Unfortunately, during the transfer electronic hum and other noises ended up on the tape. Also, the telephone wires cut off at 8,000 Hz, so many viewers have never heard the full frequency and dynamic range that was capable utilizing the Fantasound system (which was a precursor of today's Dolby Surround-Sound.)
For the 1990 restoration, Terry Porter of YCM Labs had reportedly removed 2,000 clicks and pops from the four-track magnetic copy. Also, using technical data from the Disney Archives, he managed to replicate the mixing format of the original optical tracks; so that the sound would eminate from the left, right, front and rear speakers as originally planned.
I viewed my VHS copy of the 1990 restoration first, so that I could make my own comparisons. The 1990 edition suffers from too much use of noise-reduction software, which makes the violins and high wind instruments sound "glassy" and distorted. I also listened to my CD copy of the 1990 restored soundtrack album. The sound on the CD was a little cleaner and well defined, but the DVD has the most improved sound. One must remember that Fantasound was an experimental process. Optical tracks, in general, while offering an expanded dynamic and frequency range, were often quite noisy. All this means that what we hear is a 60-year-old recording that is by no means state-of-the-art by today's standards, but nevertheless remains impressive in its own right.
I don't remember seeing any negative racial depictions in the Beethoven Pastoral Symphony sequence, either in 1975 or in 1981 (which had a newly-recorded digital soundtrack). Then, again, Disney wouldn't have allowed anything like that in his films. The only questionable scene shows Bacchus entering with two nubile, African Zebra-type centaurettes. I can see how that might draw an unfavorable response from viewers. In fairness, however, they are not depicted doing anything of a derrogatory nature. They come in, toss some petals, and then they're gone... Some who reviewed the DVD edition claim that something was cut from the Beethoven sequence, but I can't imagine what that could be. Certainly the music itself has been truncated, but Stokowski did that only for dramatic reasons and to maintain story continuity. All of the music in Fantasia, except perhaps the Bach, was edited from the original scores in one way or another.
I said that the DVD itself rates only 4 stars. That is because the good folks at Disney are only offering the pencil tests, unused animation, and alternate music pieces as part of the 3-DVD "Legacy" set. The extras on the single DVD are good, but one wishes the archival materials had been included as a second disc.
on September 29, 2015
I have always loved " Fantasia " since I saw it first in a theatre in London, England when it had just come out. My sister and I were both schoolchildren at the time but we saved our pocket money so that we could see it several times!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 7, 2013
I realize that this DVD was rather expensive but I felt that I'd take my chances this time (and I see now that it has gone up in price!). I thought that because it was around my birthday, that I'd like to have this one and was glad that it finally came out on DVD. When I watched it I also remembered that there was a lot of music in it. To me, it was still a very good movie, I thought. It brought back many memories for me when I was growing up and now that I have it, I can enjoy for a long time and watch it whenever I want!

It seems that things in DVD are getting more and more expensive especially for these "classic Walt Disney movies" but I guess a person -- if they want it bad enough, like anything else -- has to just 'bite the bullet' as you might say, and just look at the fact that it is the type of movie -- if you like it, you will get to enjoy it more and more BECAUSE of the fact that you can watch over and over again if you choose to.

Going out to movies theatres these days are most likely more expensive to do these days too, so if you have a limited income, it to me, makes more sense to invest in the DVD's for your own enjoyment because you can see it as much as you'd like to, and WHENEVER you'd like to. When you have that privilege, the movies you buy, pay for themselves! I also feel that if you can at least have that kind of 'control' over what the media gives out these days on TV, it makes it more worth your while in doing so. Like my other DVD's of this same "Walt Disney classic's" genre -- like Aristocats etc. I have been able to enjoy watching those too more than once since I bought them, and have had just as much enjoyment out of them as this one and some of the other new DVD's I just bought. Since I got rid of the 'basic cable' that we had for TV, I have had NO REGRETS as I can now watch 'what I want - when I want' and not have to put up with what the cable companies have to offer these days. If you still have to put up with that, then we all know WHO has control of the media!
on June 11, 2014
What a flimsy product I received! Surely this is not Disney product, certainly not Disney quality! So I paid full price for what? Something I have to question the authenticity of? Not exactly satisfying! I trusted you Amazon.ca. Either you or Disney has let me down!