5.0 out of 5 stars One of my All Time Favorites, March 16 2002
TundraVision (o/~ from the Land of Sky Blue Waters o/~) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter and the Wolf (VHS Tape)
This is one of the most endearing and enduring Disney cartoons ever! Serge Prokofieff's timeless music orchestrates the Russian folk tale of little Peter and his "hunting party" who go off to trap the big bad wolf. Sterling Holloway's voice is perfect as narrator. Each character in the tale has his/her own theme played by a different orchestral instrument - teaching the viewer to distinguish sounds and themes while enjoying the show. Warning: As a child (many, many years ago) I found Sonia the Duck's encounter with the snapping, snarling, hungry Wolf much scarier and distressing than Oz's Wicked Witch of the West and her Flying Monkeys - so you might want to pre-view this before showing it to a very young child.
Also included on the video are the cute and funny "Silly Symphony" a non-verbal lesson in international harmony and "Music Land" featuring favorite Disney cartoon characters.
If you like this video, I recommend you also try the CD "Heigh-Ho! Mozart."

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classic, May 29 2004
"lipglossmommy" (Lincoln, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter and the Wolf (VHS Tape)
My mother watched this movie as a little girl, and her love for it passed on to me. Now I have a copy (thanks to amazon) for MY little girl, and she watches it constantly. We also own the musical soundtrack, and I found the storybook that came with the movie to be delightful as well. This is a charming, must have for your video library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Please Put This On DVD!, Nov. 11 2003
This review is from: Peter and the Wolf (VHS Tape)
Amazon has this classic listed as being from 1996 but that is actually the year this video was released because Disney's Peter and the Wolf was actually made in 1946. As a little girl in the 1970s I remember watching this on TV and also I remember one of my teachers, probably the music teacher brought in a film and showed it to us on a movie projector and I enjoyed watching it. I think it's a great way to introduce young children to musical instruments and classical music and I hope to see this classic put out on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational and Fun!, July 7 2000
This review is from: Peter and the Wolf (VHS Tape)
Peter and the Wolf is a great way to introduce the instruments of the orchestra to children. They love the animation, the characters, the movie, all of it! In addition, they learn to recognize the sounds of the various instruments, without even realizing they are learning. My music students begged me to show the video a second time during our music camp this summer. It's a great way to get kids interested in the classics!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful musical compilation, Oct. 3 1999
This review is from: Peter and the Wolf (VHS Tape)
This is a wonderful video for children to gain an early appreciation for symphonic music. The story is fun, and most of the characters are endearing, sans the wolf of course. The characters are also well represented by their respective focal instrument (e.g. Peter-violin, grandfather-bassoon, etc.) I watched this tale on the 'old film-projector' every year in my music class as a youngster and still remember it fondly.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll be humming along..., June 14 2002
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Peter and the Wolf (VHS Tape)
This simple, beautiful cartoon, based on the Russian symphony, is sweet and innocent and can be enjoyed by all ages. Little Peter goes wolf-hunting with his friends, the cat, the duck, and the bird, and they find him! The kids will enjoy the animation, you'll like the music...this is a classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars supurb, Nov. 9 1999
This review is from: Peter and the Wolf (VHS Tape)
Peter and the Wolf is one of the greatest Disney classics ever done, I feel that it should be put somewhere in between the standings of Mickey and the Beanstalk and the Brave Tailor.

5.0 out of 5 stars ***ALREADY RELEASED ON DVD***, Dec 14 2003
This review is from: Peter and the Wolf (VHS Tape)
This title is not available alone on DVD but you can buy "MAKE MINE MUSIC". This is an old title from Disney and it includes "Peter and the Wolf".

Peter and the Wolf
Peter and the Wolf by Clyde Geronimi (VHS Tape - 1996)
Used & New from: CDN$ 37.87