5.0 out of 5 stars Even my three-year old likes this one!
A sweet, bright and cheerful movie for adults and kids alike. You will be amazed at the attention to detail in both the artistry and the characters. Miyazaki studies his medium from every angle, and presents a piece of artwork that is beautiful to behold.
Published 16 months ago by Michael Van Boom

3.0 out of 5 stars Ce n'est pas le meilleur de Miyasaki
J'écris au nom de mon fils et moi qui sommes des fans invétérés de Hayao Miyasaki!!
Totoro est bien, mais n'atteint pas Princesse Mononoke, Chihiro, Ponyo, Laputa, Le Château Ambulant...
Le personnage et l'univers de Totoro est très peu présent, et c'est ce qui me peine.
Published 12 months ago by catherine hamel stronikowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Even my three-year old likes this one!, Nov. 27 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful family entertainment, Dec 28 2010
I've owned this movie for at least 10 year and my children and I have watched it over and over as they have grown. I have just bought extra copies for my young nieces. It's charming and funny and will entertain anyone from about age 4 up. The key elements of the story line are easy to follow and the children in the movie do some of the strange little things that kids do when confronted with unusual situations, which make them seem real and endearing. Sometimes the translated dialogue comes out a little clumsy, but for me, it adds to the charm.

Don't worry if you are not a fan of anime or are turned off by the coarse looking character animation -- by about 15 mins into the movie you won't even care. This is classical animation, not multi-billion polygon computer animation, and Miyazaki and his animators create gorgeous backgrounds that capture glorious mixes of form and shadow for their characters to play in. My kids and I have often commented when traveling, "Those look like Totoro clouds" or "Camphor tree!! Camphor tree!!".

Pick up this classic - you won't be disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ce n'est pas le meilleur de Miyasaki, March 25 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool story, Feb. 23 2013
This was a fantastic movie for our family. It started a fantastic dialogue about the differences in how we percieve trolls and how this movie portrayed one. My son loved the cat bus. We thought it would be great to ride in one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite movie, Dec 15 2012
This is a beautiful and well done movie. I have watched it many times. Love the playful way it engages with spirituality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Feb. 23 2012
Great animation movie.
The world that only kids can see, feel catches children's attention.
When my nephew was very little, she'd been watching repeatedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miyazaki: gentle genius, Dec 30 2011
charlie1406000 (Vancouver Island Canada) - See all my reviews
Director Miyazaki's charmer crosses cultural and ethnic boundaries with grace and has universal appeal. Much better for small children than Spirited Away and some of his later work. For me it is the all-time best family animated movie. I still get a lump in my throat every time I watch it and my grand-daughters love it and search for acorns from Totoro in the back yard. They asked me to go inside so Totoro would show up because only children get to hang out with him. And who knows, he may be sitting in the top branches of the Oak tree in our back yard in the Pacific Northwest tossing acorns down for the girls to find. The movie is charming, funny and moving and shows a slice of country life in Japan that is inviting and beautiful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Animation -- Unforgivable Treatment, Feb. 21 2003
Lawrence J. Keel (Anaheim, California, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro (DVD)
My Neighbor Totoro is one of the greatest animated films ever produced (for children or otherwise). It is a film that devoted fans such as myself love sharing with children and friends (I even teach it in my Children's Literature class.)
----The delicacy of Hayao Miyazaki's tale of two young girls who must cope with the stresses of moving to a new house, neighborhood and school--while their mother is kept in a hospital for a problem they do not understand!--is extraordinarily well-told through delightful and surprising events and beautiful animation. That the girls need the friendship and support of their father, the neighbors and the Totoros (friendly nature spirits) is subtly presented and then heroically answered through Miyazaki's unforgettable imagery.
---But you'll have to trust me on that because a good portion of that imagery has been butchered away through the pan-and-scan process. Not only have the producers of this DVD version cut away much of the visuals but they have also left off the Japanese language track and given us a rather pale transfer.
----English speaking kids deserve to see this better-than-Disney film. They deserve to view the widescreen version and they deserve the option of hearing the dubbed version (if they cannot yet read) OR hearing it in it's original language while reading subtitles. A quality production would offer these things and more.
----This DVD offers a Masterpiece, but a badly Mistreated one----

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Memory, March 12 2014
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro (DVD)
This has the voice actors I remember as I child, Disney didn't even give cat bus a voice- so that was very pathetic of them which lead me to buy this. (I know how that sounded...)
Absolutely loved it. However when I went to open the DVD case it was not tucked into the DVD little spot. Whether that was because of shipment, which I would not doubt was the case, it ended up getting a few scratches on it. Not enough to damage the reading which was awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Studio Ghibli, Feb. 10 2014
I have liked all of the other studio Ghibli movies that I have seen before this one. I liked the story and my favorite characters in this movie is Catbus and of course ToToRo

ARRAY(0xc48f8798)

My Neighbor Totoro
My Neighbor Totoro by Hayao Miyazaki (VHS Tape - 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 17.15