5.0 out of 5 stars I've got an itching to tell you...
Published on Jan. 14 2004 by Mark

3.0 out of 5 stars SCARY SKEETERS
Published on Feb. 25 2004 by Michael Butts

4.0 out of 5 stars Martians and Mosquitos, May 18 2004
Joshua Koppel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mosquito (DVD)
I just watched an amusing little horror movie called Mosquito involving giant mosquitos descending on a state park.
The movie opens with a large space craft approaching Earth and releasing a small shuttle. For some reason the shuttle crashes in the vicinity of a state park. Then there is a very creative scene first showing the emergence of a mosquito in adult form and then its view as it flies towards the downed craft. A hatch is open. There is a pulsing red light inside. A long, thin, three-fingered arm stretches out of the opening. The mosquito feeds and the rest can be imagined.
The opening special effects and some of the mosquito effects are quite good. However in the first scene, which involves several of the leads having a giant mosquito smash on their windshield, the young female park ranger (possibly the smartest and most self sufficient person in the movie) declares the road kill an insect because of what she calls the proboscis (pro-bah-suhs). Her constant rendition of the word told me that while they did a little research for the movie, they did much too little. Other than this blatant overuse of a single "fact" by the "expert" I really enjoyed the movie, especially the George Pal tribute in the beginning.
If you are a fan of giant bug movies, you might be interested in this one. Just don't get it mixed up with a really bad one called Skeeter.

3.0 out of 5 stars SCARY SKEETERS, Feb. 25 2004
Michael Butts (Berkeley Springs, WV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mosquito (DVD)
Giant bug movies are so much fun...don't look for quality in the acting, directing, or even special effects departments. MOSQUITO is enjoyable because it is so bad, and obviously there's a definite tongue in cheek feel, and the mosquitoes are kinda scary, specially if you don't like the little critters anyway. The acting is so bad one can't help but wonder how some of these guys actually played in other movies! I didn't know until reading reviews that Gunnar Hansen was the original Leatherface, but his line concerning the chainsaw is certainly funnier knowing that!
This is one of those so bad it's good flicks, but you will enjoy it if you like bug movies!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly bad critter flick, Feb. 2 2004
Jeffrey Leach (Omaha, NE USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mosquito (DVD)
"Mosquito" is the type of film that not only hits you over the head with its sheer badness; it continues to beat you after you have lost consciousness. The whole thing is an atrocity, a roaring, shrieking train wreck of a film that even the hardiest souls will have a tough time taking seriously. Everything fails on a metatectonic level with this movie: the acting, the plot, the pacing, most of the special effects, and everything else you have come to associate with a motion picture. "Mosquito" is such a miserable movie that you will draw flies if you don't quit gaping at the disaster unfolding onscreen. Have I made myself clear about the total ineptness of this movie yet? Good, because I now need to say watching "Mosquito" is a lot of fun for the lover of trash cinema. Why? Because the whole thing is an atrocity, a roaring, shrieking train wreck of a film that even the hardiest souls will have a tough time taking seriously. Because everything fails on a metatectonic level with this movie: the acting, the plot, the pacing, most of the special effects, and everything else you have come to associate with a motion picture. Because "Mosquito" is such a miserable movie that you will draw flies if you don't quit gaping at the disaster unfolding onscreen. And Gunnar Hansen plays one of the primary characters.
"Mosquito" begins with the crash landing of an extraterrestrial object from space. The craft splashes down in a swamp with disastrous results for the surrounding ecosystem. Well, at least it is for the mosquitoes since it seems only these nasty little buggers suffer any ill effects from the spaceship. The skeeters soon grow to frighteningly huge proportions although no one in the area knows about this impending disaster as of yet. We soon meet four disparate groups of people that we just know will wind up together in the end. There are two young folks--a man and his girlfriend--driving out to a local recreation area so the girl can assume her post as a park ranger. There is an idiotic, whiny male ranger at the park who may rank as one of the worst actors in cinematic history. How do we know he is an idiot? Because he sprays the park for mosquitoes without worrying about poisoning the campers. Somewhere down the road three militia guys with a bag full of money and a bad attitude have a nasty encounter with a giant mosquito in the forest. After suffering a casualty, the two survivors attempt to get out of the area at all costs. Finally, some guy checking out a report of a falling meteor in the area provides the scientific information we need to understand how giant mosquitoes could possibly exist--not really, of course, but he's there to do what he can.
The ravenous mosquitoes make quick work of any people they find out in the open with the exception of our gang of heroes, who soon come together to fight for their lives. They attempt to flee from the malevolent skeeters in an RV, attempt to run from them through a sewer drain, and attempt to escape by barricading themselves in an abandoned house. Predictably, the mosquitoes manage to thin the herd along the way, with a few of our stalwart souls collapsing under the onslaught of the winged hordes as the various methods adopted to deal with the rascals fail miserably. Victims of the mosquitoes tend to shrivel up at an alarming rate, probably due to the rather rapid blood loss accompanying a bite. The idea of falling prey to the mosquitoes is so bad that it requires Gunnar Hansen's character to ally himself with people he doesn't really trust, and to later heft a chainsaw in a futile attempt to rescue one of his imperiled companions. Strange events make for strange bedfellows, apparently. It is almost redundant to say that the conclusion involves a final confrontation with the mutated mosquitoes, one that requires personal sacrifice if our heroes are to save the world.
The flaws of "Mosquito" are as numerous as, say, a swarm of mosquitoes. All of the actors hired for the production uniformly tank in their respective roles, but John Reneaud as the thickheaded ranger Tony is arguably the worst actor in the world. He spends every scene complaining and whining about the situation, so much so that I fervently prayed he would fall victim to the mosquitoes in an especially gruesome fashion. Reneaud is the worst actor in a cast of painfully wooden thespians. Gunnar Hansen, for example, looks awfully stiff in his role as Earl, one of the militia guys with a secret. Put these terrible performances next to the cheesy effects, the gory attack sequences, the ham handed script, and you have a movie sure to alienate most of the viewing audience. "Mosquito" did not alienate me; I liked the movie overall and laughed repeatedly at the antics unfolding onscreen. This one has "so bad it is good" written all over it.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the movie attained cult classic status. I do know it appears on basic cable from time to time, so apparently there is an audience out there for this type of garbage. The biggest questions I had as the final credits rolled concerned the alien spacecraft. Whatever happened to the ship? Moreover, why would the Air Force send out one guy with experience about meteorites to investigate what is probably the biggest event in the history of the human race? Doesn't the U.S.A.F. have fancy radar and satellite systems designed to detect foreign objects from space? As I wondered about these questions, I realized I was wasting my time. Don't question, just simply sit back and enjoy this immensely entertaining low budget junk heap.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've got an itching to tell you..., Jan. 14 2004
This review is from: Mosquito (DVD)
I'm surprised that it's taken me this long to write a review on this film. Not only have I seen it more than a dozen times on USA and the SCI-FI channel, but I actually own two copies, have an autographed VHS cover AND an autographed theatrical poster (which happens to be nicely framed and hung on my bedroom wall). So, you, the reader, are probably scratching your heads wondering why I would be so dedicated to this film. Well, I guess it all goes back to when I was working for the DNR here in Michigan, and after reading a blurb about the local, low-budget film "Blood Fever" being shot in a neighboring campground, I just had to request a couple days off to be an extra.
How can you not be excited about being an extra in a low-budget horror film which features six-foot tall mosquitos, ESPECIALLY when you happen to have to deal with their miniature cousins every year because you live in a swampy area? So, I showed up at 7 a.m. for the first day and had a great experience watching Director Gary Jones work his magic on the set, which seemed like it was my own backyard, seen as it was only a five-minute drive from where I lived. I couldn't help but be entranced by a model of the 'bloodsucker' which hung from a pole setting in front of one of the camps cabins. Everyone crowded around it, snapping shots, and wondering to themselves if it happened to be the little bugger who snuck a snack from their back leg while enjoying a picnic the night before.
The cast was fun to hang out with, even though I didn't have a chance to meet Gunnar Hansen until he showed up for an autograph session for the film when it hit video stores, (which was even more special to me, since I helped set up the session and I actually got to sign my own autographs, while sitting several chairs down from the reputable actor who exuded a kindness one would actually want to question if he were the same man who wielded the buzzing chainsaw which cut through teens years before). Ron Asheton, Rachelle Loiselle and Tim Lovelace were all present, though, and they had no problem sharing smiles and hotdogs during the lunch break.
So, sure, the movie may have it's cheesiness. It may be a far cry from the horror film one would expect a guy like Gunnar Hansen to pop up in, but, all in all, it was a great experience and is always an enjoyable film to watch when it's on t.v. or I just want to reminisce and pull out my own copy.
So, they say you'll always remember your first love and cherish it. I guess I can say the same for this film. I'll always remember the fun I had and the friends I met. It's been over ten years since it actually lensed, and I've done over a dozen other films which have their own special place in my heart. But, "Mosquito" was my first, and was the introduction to my present career as a film-maker here in Michigan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tapping the Human Keg!, Nov. 15 2003
TorridlyBoredShopper "T(to the)B(to the)S" ("Daddy Dagon's Daycare" - Proud Sponsor of the Little Tendril Baseball Team, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mosquito (DVD)
When taking time to taste the wonders and woes of a nice campground experience, nothing is worse than those run-ins with Mosquitos. While trying to have fun, those little monsters assail you and yours, taking little sips whenever they feel like it simply because they're trying to do what they can to stay alive. Blah. When put on tap a few dozen times, itching and wondering why you took a trip to the middle of nowhere, you find yourself wondering how things could get any worse. To answer, imagine a night spent watching the sky and seeing falling stars. Now try having one of those lovely comets turn out to be that UFO experience you've always wondered about, the driver of that vehicle get killed when that UFO turns out to be out-of-control, and then some mosquitos find the body and feed. Yeah, things get really big and really ugly from there.
When dealing with this film, one shouldn't make a mistake and think that they're dealing with something that isn't going to be cheesy. Big Bug movies always turn out that way, always having some strange sideplot to go along with the main flow of monstrosity, and the doom they offer is always campy. So, instead of going in expecting anything, you should think of your atypical bad acting, death, some gore effects to take the place of a plot, and a nice laughtrack to make the day go along better. And, if that sounds good, then Mosquito would be a tale for you.
Personally, the "who is going to live, who is going to die" tales always make me happy and I've always loved Mosquito. Within its brand of sordid humor, nobody is truly safe from the touch and the feel of the threat, with most of the people met along the way succumbing to the alluring beasts and their thirst. Its comedy, only nobody gets to stand up in the end and tell jokes (unless you count Gunnar Hansen - The original Leatherface). And that's what I like about it, truth be told. Every movie and social stereotype mastered by the mosquito.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of those Giant Bug B-Movies that is so bad it is fun, June 27 2003
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mosquito (DVD)
Sooner or later somebody with a camera was bound to notice that in the genre of giant insect movies there was only one bad B-movie about giant mosquitoes, the awful 1993 "Skeeter." Consequently, this shortcoming was rectified by this 1995 campy low-budget film from director Gary Jones (director of the 2000 film "Spiders"). "Mosquito" begins with what, in the best light, would be an homage to "The Blob" and "War of the Worlds" (or both). An alien spacecraft crashes into a swamp (located in Detroit, Michigan apparently, since that is where they made the film), the hatch opens, an alien arm slithers out and then the pilot dies. Then mosquitoes show up to start sucking on that alien blood and the next thing you know we have got giant skeeters on the attack (the sort where actors have to hold on to giant bugs and to the dance of death). The result, at least from my warped perspective, is a film that is so bad its unintentional humor makes it fun to watch (a refrigerator can save YOUR life), which is why the rating hear reflects enjoyment, not quality, boys and girls.
The mosquitoes try to feast on the normal collection of doomed souls who are a bit slow to figure out that these are monster mosquitoes and not funny looking birds and you will not care a whit who survives and who does not. Gunnar Hansen (who also gets a script credit) is Earl the Bank robber, Ron Asheton is Hendricks the Park Ranger, Rachel Loiselle is Megan the new Park Ranger, Tim Lovelace is her boyfriend Ray, and Steve Dixon is Parks, who chases meteors for the U.S. Air Force. However, this film is redeemed by one great moment where the character played by Gunnar Hansen, the original Leatherface in Tobe Hooper's "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and declares "I haven't handled one of these things in 20 years....feels good." Of course, it had been two decades since the release of that classic horror flick. I do not know how "MST3K" missed this one, or how I missed that they did not miss it. But if you like to ridicule bad movies in the privacy of your own home, "Mosquito" is a great choice. Why, one liners should be popping into your head as you read this and you have not even seen the film yet...

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Eye Popper, March 10 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Mosquito (DVD)
Okay, I'll be honest. This movie is no classic by any means, but it's still a good, enjoyable, big bug flick. Allright, so the dialauge is cheesey but if you're watching this movie for "well thought out dialouge", there's something wrong with you. However, with the exeception of the stop motion animation (Ugh...), this movie has special effects A LOT better than some reviews state. Although I recommend this movie to horror fans or people who don't expect Spielburg, I don't reccomend this to people who DON'T like gross stuff (If you don't, I pity you) because a guy's eyes EXPLODE (yes. You read right. A guy's eyes explode). All in all, a good big bug film with good monsters. BBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZ....SWAT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great., July 27 2002
"gibraud" (Braintree, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mosquito (DVD)
This movie was the best cheesy movie I have ever seen. It has bad special effects, I mean there was no acting and the dialogue was repetitive. Such as that girl who kept saying I want to bring it back to the lab to examine it. The funniest part was when the mosquito got a guy going to the bathroom. It was hilarious and the part where the mosquito got stuck on the door and the kept hitting it and it looked like a pile of jam. I recommend this movie as a cheesy movie and a good laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars BAD MOVIE LOVER HEAVEN!!, March 25 2002
Leigh A. Barrett "LeighBeeSM" (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mosquito (DVD)
"My God! It looks like a proboscis!" One of the many great lines in this hilariously badly written, badly acted, cheesily photographed little gem of a film. You're in for a treat when you realize that the action is funnier than the comic relief. The scientists and much of the plot is lifted right from "Food of the Gods;" the climax is reminiscent of "Night of the Living Dead" or "The Birds;" and the dialogue is delivered with all the emotion of the funeral attendees from "Plan Nine From Outer Space." You gotta see it to believe it!

ARRAY(0xa9aa82f4)

Mosquito [Import]
Mosquito [Import] by Gary Jones (VHS Tape - 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 24.95