5.0 out of 5 stars Wow
I choose this rating because i love Quentin Taratino and his films are awesome, the music is great and the plot storyline was pretty good.
No changes from the last time i saw it 10 yrs ago, its in blue ray so the quality is pretty good
Published 8 months ago by Karen Chocolate

3.0 out of 5 stars Tarentino's directorial/writer debut
Published on April 12 2010 by falcon

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Nov. 8 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars "Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy? Or are you gonna bite?", May 17 2013
Being a die-hard Quentin Tarantino fan I was very happy to have received this in the mail in just three days, in good condition (case was a little bent to the side, but nothing major or noticeable right away).
Reservoir Dogs was Quentin Tarantino's first official movie, the start of his legendary Hollywood career as a director. And what a movie it is! It's the first heist movie to not show the heist and still do a good job explaining all the details without being boring. We've got a handful of criminals that plan a heist, and then we see them after a supposedly catastrophic heist at a diamond retailer's shop due to the fact that there is a police informant suspected to be among them.
Good condition, good movie, fast delivery. In my opinion, this is Tarantino's second-best film, behind Pulp Fiction.
**** out of *****

5.0 out of 5 stars That was it., Feb. 18 2013
That was the product that I was expecting. I'm quite satisfied whit my purchase. thanks a lot for you services.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to see the origin of Tarantino's signature style, April 11 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Director Quentin Tarantino is one of the most passionate filmmakers I have ever seen. If you listen to him talk about his films, he can barely contain his enthusiasm. He reportedly dropped out of high school despite having an IQ of 160 because he wanted to pursue his passion. I can certainly identify with that.

Reservoir Dogs was Tarantino's first full-length feature and it contains most of the elements we have come to expect. Although his style is all over it, it feels a little rough around the edges. That doesn't stop it from being a superb film, but it's interesting to see how he perfected his craft in later efforts.

If you have ever seen a Tarantino film, you'll know that his dialogue is distinctive. In fact, I don't think anyone writes better dialogue. The story opens with a restaurant scene in which a gang of thieves, led by Joe Cabot (Tierney), discusses the meaning of Madonna's Like a Virgin. The scene develops with Mr. Pink (Buscemi) explaining why he rarely tips. It's clever, funny and logical, and it says a lot about the character.

This approach is present in all of Tarantino's films and it's so refreshing. Why would thieves, police or German colonels only talk about their job? It just doesn't ring true. Tarantino's characters become more real because they talk about anything that comes to mind.

Reservoir Dogs is essentially a heist movie, but we never actually see the robbery take place. We see some of the planning and surveillance as the gang plans the robbery, and we see some of them fleeing the scene after it takes place. The bulk of the story takes place in a warehouse where the surviving gang members agree to meet, and it could be happening in real time.

Mr. White (Keitel) arrives first with Mr. Orange (Roth) and Mr. Pink. Orange was shot in the belly after the robbery and White and Pink are discussing what to do. Pink has a theory that someone ratted them out and that the police were at the scene much too soon. We gradually learn that Mr. Blonde (Madsen) started shooting everyone in sight during the robbery and his actions caused the police to intervene.

Tarantino loves to pause the story to explain the origin or background of his characters, and he uses that technique in Reservoir Dogs. We find out who Mr. Blonde is and why he is part of the gang. Another scene shows how Mr. Pink escaped the crime scene, although the account may not be accurate as it's from his viewpoint. The most interesting flashback reveals the identity and motivations of the rat and how he memorized an anecdote to make his character seem more authentic to the other members of the gang.

My favorite characters are Mr. White and Mr. Pink. I could watch Buscemi in anything and his character is similar to the one he played in Fargo. His final actions fit his character perfectly. Keitel's character is the most complex. Although he's a criminal, he has his own sense of honor. He clearly cares whether Mr. Orange lives or dies, while the other gang members seem indifferent. His choices are somewhat brave under the circumstances.

There is a lot of violence in the film, but the camera pans away from the action during the most violent scene. Like Hitchcock, Tarantino allows us to imagine the events rather than see them. The color red is removed from almost every scene, although Mr. White is seen wearing a red shirt at one point. This makes the scenes involving blood stand out even more. The gang wears black suits, white shirts and black ties. It's almost like a uniform.

I avoided seeing Reservoir Dogs for several years because I don't like pointless violence, but I'm glad I eventually decided to watch it. You have to realize that Tarantino's films are dark comedies and that humor is present in almost every conversation or situation. It's intelligent humor, but it's there. As a result, I'm able to watch the violent scenes knowing that they are tongue-in-cheek for the most part. I'm tempted to say that Tarantino films belong to a genre all of their own. The only other films that have a similar feel are some of the Coens' work, such as Fargo, and Martin McDonagh's In Bruges.

Reservoir Dogs is a fascinating and original look at events after a robbery. You can see many of Tarantino's trademarks such as the use of music, dialogue, camera shots from inside a trunk, flashbacks to expand characters and a Mexican standoff. I highly recommend Tarantino's unique style.

Overall score 4.5/5

3.0 out of 5 stars Tarentino's directorial/writer debut, April 12 2010
i was pleasantly surprised by this feature film debut of Quentin Tarantino as writer/director.i had heard all the hype of how great it was over the years and was sure i would be disappointed.as it turns out,it was a pretty good film.great dialogue.memorable characters.smooth transitions from one scenes to another.the story was interesting.there's some violence,but bot at all at the level i was expecting.in fact,i had seen a lot worse before than and even directly after,while watching True Romance,coincidentally also written by Tarantino.True romance is much more blood soaked than Reservoir Dogs.however,there is some some very strong language.in conclusion,while i certainly wasn't disappointed in Reservoir Dogs,i wouldn't say it's a great movie.for me,Reservoir Dogs is a 3/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Isn't holding up as well as I'd like..., April 20 2004
RMurray847 (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
RESERVOIR DOGS is a classic movie. It is responsible, almost single-handedly (along with SEX, LIES & VIDEOTAPE) for ushering in the current era of "indie films." Right around the same time that every home in America seemed to have a VCR, these "little" movies came out, tacking daring subjects in a daring manner. And while they got little attention in traditional movie-houses, everyone heard the buzz on them and rented them and turned them into cult classics.
I watched the movie again the other day. It shows clearly the Tarentino hallmarks that would make him huge with PULP FICTION, KILL BILL, etc. Snappy, clever, filthy dialogue. Elaborate violence...unrealistic amounts of blood pouring from one person's body. Cool camera moves and great use of music. (After all, can anyone really hear STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU in quite the same way again?).
But the film is showing its rough edges. What seemed edgy and new now sometimes looks a little lazy. Long shots through doorways, where the camera sits still and the actors move in and out of the shot. Kinda cool, but...kinda boring. Cool male actors encouraged to yell and overact. Harvey Keitel and Tim Roth and Steve Buscemi are all great actors, and they're pretty darn memorable in this film. BUT, they are also occasionally prone to rage and scream above what seems believable. Many of the "tricks" of this film have been used so often since, that unfortunately, they feel trite now. It's not fair to blame this film for what came later. Therefore, I still say it's a classic, BUT, not always a classic that thrills with repeated viewings. PULP FICTION, all these years later, still tickles me and excites me. But there were long stretches of RESERVOIR DOGS where I felt like dozing.
However, if you HAVEN'T seen it, I still recommend that you do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarantino, A True Genius, Dec 4 2002
This is a great movie and one of the highlights in my collection (and I have quite an extensive collection). Mr. Quentin Tarantino can write dialogue so well. Tarantino makes the audience feel as if the words that are coming from the screen would actually be something a person in that situation would say in real life. Also, I believe Tarantino made an excellent choice in not choosing superstar actors who charge big bucks and the who demand a Star sticker on their door. I know that Harvey Keitel, Steve Buscemi, and Tim Roth were distinguished actors and had done some movies, but they were not superstars, and that what makes part of this movie so good, the acting. By the way, many credit Harvey Keitel for the excellent acting in the movie, but actually, I believe that Tim Roth and Steve Buscemi were absolutely awesome. They are truly great actors. You must buy this movie just to see the bonus features, and hear the director's commentary. In closing, this is a classic but if you want to see something better, rent pulp fiction (another Tarantino classic).

5.0 out of 5 stars One Hell of a Movie! The New DVD is Amazing!!!!, Sept. 8 2002
Michael Crane (Orland Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
"Reservoir Dogs" is another one of my favorite movies. Despite what critics think, this is a Tarantino masterpiece with unforgettable characters, smooth and cool dialogue, and a shocking finale.
I had the older version of this movie on DVD, and it was all right. The picture wasn't too bad, sound was so-so, and there were virtually no special features. So when I found out that a new remastered and fully-loaded version of the movie was coming out, I knew I had to have it. And I am very glad that I did purchase it.
Since this is a crime flick, the plot and storyline isn't that complex or deep, and there is no reason for it to be. It's pretty simple. Perfect strangers plan the perfect crime, but end up in a bloody set-up. With only four of them left alive, they must uncover the rat in the house. But which one is it? That is something they must find out before the cops get a hold of them in this unforgiving and spectacular crime/noir movie.
The writing is off the hook. Tarantino is a master when it comes to dialogue. Why? Because the characters talk like real people. In ordinary movies, all the characters ever talk about it the plot or scheme. In THIS movie, they talk about everyday normal things that we would talk about, which makes them seem more realistic and convincing. His writing reminds me a lot of Raymond Carver, except with more humor.
The cast is terrific. Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Chris Penn, Lawrence Tierney, and Steve Buscemi all did their roles justice. Michael Madsen is awesome and cool as Mr. Blonde, who will always be remembered for that very particular role. Buscemi is hillarious, and your eyes never leave his sight when he's on screen. But really, everyone is outstanding in this movie.
The DVD itself is very high quality, including two disks. The picture is remastered in high definition, which really makes it clear. Ten times better than the other version. You can either watch in widescreen or in fullscreen. The sound is also much, MUCH better. You can watch it in dolby digital or in DTS. Considering that this was a really low-budget film, the movie looks and sounds amazing. You will especially appreciate it if you had the previous DVD of the movie.
And there are tons and TONS of extras that will keep you more than happy. Way too many for me to list, but the ones I liked the most were the interviews. (Watch the one with Michael Madsen. That has to be one of the funniest interviews I have ever seen. Just trust me and watch it! I don't want to give too much away.) So, if you are a big fan of bells and whistles, this DVD is the one for you. You will not be disappointed.
"Reservoir Dogs" is a classic, whether people like it or not. Don't let anyone over-hype this movie for you if you have not seen it. Just watch it like you would with any normal movie, and you'll do fine. I have the same problem with many when it comes to over-hyping movies. It happens.
Overall, I was more than pleased with this edition of "Reservoir Dogs." I did not mind re-buying it at all. If you still have the original DVD and love this movie very much, GET THIS ONE AS SOON AS YOU CAN! You will not regret it. This is one of my favorites, and proves just how talented Quentin Tarantino is when it comes to writing and directing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Repulsive at best, Feb. 8 2004
Yarby "yarby" (Medina, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Having previously purchased "Jackie Brown"...a film with a wonderful plot and some redeeming value...I thought I would give another Quentin Tarantino picture a try. As this is the movie that supposedly started off his successful career, I figured this was a great place to start.
What a repulsive piece of celluloid this movie turned out to be. Violence in a movie for a reason is one thing. Violence for shock value is quite another. There doesn't really seem to be any reason for this movie to exist except to disgust the viewer with it repugnant bloodshed.
This is the kind of movie which really makes me question as to whether Hollywood DOES have some responsibility toward desensitizing weak individuals into replicating such violent acts.

1.0 out of 5 stars One viewing only., May 25 2003
Kenneth (Could be anywhere.) - See all my reviews
This is the most viscious movie I've ever seen. It's downright nasty. Too much blood, violence, and profanity. Unless a viewer really hates cops, I can't see how he/she would be entertained by this. Maybe I'm too sensitive, and this movie is definitely not for sensitive people.
Not to say there isn't any humor in this film. But not enough to redeem its nastiness.

Reservoir Dogs (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Reservoir Dogs (Widescreen/Full Screen) by Quentin Tarantino (DVD - 2001)
CDN$ 17.98 CDN$ 9.97