5.0 out of 5 stars Debut from the master!
Published on June 2 2004 by P. Woods

3.0 out of 5 stars Reservoir Dogs
Watching RESERVOIR DOGS for the first time a dozen years late is an odd experience. It's like watching a football game - long stretches when nothing is happening are punctuated by brief moments of exaggerated violence, following by more interminably long stretches.
Published on May 1 2004 by Steven Hellerstedt

5.0 out of 5 stars Debut from the master!, June 2 2004
P. Woods (England) - See all my reviews
Quentin Tarantino popped out of nowhere to become one of Hollywood's best directors. This was the film he first introduced the world to. It's all about six gangsters, who try to commit a jewel heist during working hours. It all goes well until... it doesn't. One of the gangsters dies, the other gets badly wounded, two get away and two dissapear. The two that got away don't have the slightest idea what to do. They don't know what to do with the badly wounded character, they don't know where everyone is. Slowly, eveyone starts to get back together, but they soon become aware that there's a rat, one of them is not who they think he is. But who can it be? I'll let you watch the movie.
The violence isn't really that violent. Ok, I know lots of people say there's that famous "torture" scene with the cop. That's not what I call violent. I call it "scary", because if you look at it through the cop's eyes, it would be. It is a bloody film though, I'll tell you that.
Quentin Tarantino is famous for using loads of dialogue in films, and the dialogue in this is quite cool. We go from talking about "not tipping waitresses" to "Pam Grier and her movie history". We also include a lot of flashbacks of the characters lives.
I thought the characters were cool, with the likes of Mr White, a very cool guy, a bit tuff, but cool. Mr orange, a bit soft, young but cool. Mr Blond, a complete psycho, but very cool. Mr Pink, a bit irratating, yes cool. Mr Brwon, you don't see him that much, but he's cool too. Mr Blue, who we hardly see in the movie. And Nice Guy Eddie, starnge guy, goes from nice to horrid, not so cool. The actors who played these guys were great. Quentin always knows who's best for his roles. Harvey Keitel plays Mr White, I couldn't imagine a better actor to play him. Steve Buscemi plays Mr Pink, he's good, but it's not usually his thing. Tim Roth plays Mr Orange, we needed someone his age for that part and he seems comfortable with the part. Michael Madsen plays Mr Blond, he's a great actor and he makes the character scary. Chris Penn suits his character when he's nice, ut not when he's nasty. Mr Blue... well he's only in about five minutes of the film.
So, a great film all together. A sensation.
Another similar title, also directed by Quentin Tarantino is "Pulp fiction"

5.0 out of 5 stars Quentin Tarantino is not SICK!!!!, May 30 2004
Dustin Firestone (Fountain Hills, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I am so pissed off that people hate Quentin Tarantino because of his bloody sickening violence is his films. This is not true, yes there is violence, but not as bad as everyone says it is. When Mr. Blonde cuts off that cops ear, it doesn't even show IT!!!!!! Mr. Blonde never ends up burning the cop because he got shot, and when Mr. Pink shoots over the roof of that car at the cops and hits one, there is no blood shown at all. The violence in the film is not(what's the word I am looking for, not shown/ expressed) in a way in which the movie got more than an R rating. If people call blood violence well let's just say rent Kill Bill Vol. 1.
Quentin Tarantino is a god among directors, he is my favorite directors, and Reservoir Dogs is my favorite movie along with Pulp Fiction. That man has changed the face of action/crime films in a way in which I live for. I am an aspiring director, and Quentin Tarantino's films have inspired me to want to direct, so if you hate Quentin Tarantino and his movies, you're gonna hate me a lot more!!!!!! I want to make my movies the same way he does, the different time frames in each movie, the end first ,the middle last, ect. that is a great and genius way to make films.
I bought the Mr. Brown version of the DVD, just because it had Quentin Tarantino's face on the cover. It's true, I worship that guy. I love this movie and it is just an excellent experience, if you want to see someting a little different than regular films. Even know Quentin Tarantino is my favorite director/writer, I don't agree with some of his films, such as four rooms, Natural born killers, and From Dusk Till Dawn. I liked them a lot but it's not his style. Natural Born Killers was just plain creepy!!!.
So watch out for me in the future when I make movies QUENTIN TARANTINO STYLE!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU, Feb. 17 2015
THE MOVIE GUY "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a violent bloody film about a diamond robbery gone bad. They suspect a rat in the group, but who? Having missed the film when it came out, I had to watch it since so many other films have imitated scenes from it. From that point of view, this is a must see, just so one can appreciate other modern films.

The ten year two disc special includes 3 deleted scenes which I felt should have been added as it aided with the character of Mr. Orange, and his knowledge of Mr. White. This helps explain their relationship. It also included 2 alternative ear removal scenes, the second one being graphic, except the ear looked like rubber which is why it was omitted.

The film made great use of 70's music, my favorite part of the film. Thank you Mr. Wright.

Most of the film consists of dialog spoken inside a warehouse with fake blood being the main special effect. It costs nothing to make a 5 star film if you have the right people and script.

Tarantino film: Violent, bloody, F-bombs, and flashbacks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to see the origin of Tarantino's signature style, April 11 2012
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Director Quentin Tarantino is one of the most passionate filmmakers I have ever seen. If you listen to him talk about his films, he can barely contain his enthusiasm. He reportedly dropped out of high school despite having an IQ of 160 because he wanted to pursue his passion. I can certainly identify with that.

Reservoir Dogs was Tarantino's first full-length feature and it contains most of the elements we have come to expect. Although his style is all over it, it feels a little rough around the edges. That doesn't stop it from being a superb film, but it's interesting to see how he perfected his craft in later efforts.

If you have ever seen a Tarantino film, you'll know that his dialogue is distinctive. In fact, I don't think anyone writes better dialogue. The story opens with a restaurant scene in which a gang of thieves, led by Joe Cabot (Tierney), discusses the meaning of Madonna's Like a Virgin. The scene develops with Mr. Pink (Buscemi) explaining why he rarely tips. It's clever, funny and logical, and it says a lot about the character.

This approach is present in all of Tarantino's films and it's so refreshing. Why would thieves, police or German colonels only talk about their job? It just doesn't ring true. Tarantino's characters become more real because they talk about anything that comes to mind.

Reservoir Dogs is essentially a heist movie, but we never actually see the robbery take place. We see some of the planning and surveillance as the gang plans the robbery, and we see some of them fleeing the scene after it takes place. The bulk of the story takes place in a warehouse where the surviving gang members agree to meet, and it could be happening in real time.

Mr. White (Keitel) arrives first with Mr. Orange (Roth) and Mr. Pink. Orange was shot in the belly after the robbery and White and Pink are discussing what to do. Pink has a theory that someone ratted them out and that the police were at the scene much too soon. We gradually learn that Mr. Blonde (Madsen) started shooting everyone in sight during the robbery and his actions caused the police to intervene.

Tarantino loves to pause the story to explain the origin or background of his characters, and he uses that technique in Reservoir Dogs. We find out who Mr. Blonde is and why he is part of the gang. Another scene shows how Mr. Pink escaped the crime scene, although the account may not be accurate as it's from his viewpoint. The most interesting flashback reveals the identity and motivations of the rat and how he memorized an anecdote to make his character seem more authentic to the other members of the gang.

My favorite characters are Mr. White and Mr. Pink. I could watch Buscemi in anything and his character is similar to the one he played in Fargo. His final actions fit his character perfectly. Keitel's character is the most complex. Although he's a criminal, he has his own sense of honor. He clearly cares whether Mr. Orange lives or dies, while the other gang members seem indifferent. His choices are somewhat brave under the circumstances.

There is a lot of violence in the film, but the camera pans away from the action during the most violent scene. Like Hitchcock, Tarantino allows us to imagine the events rather than see them. The color red is removed from almost every scene, although Mr. White is seen wearing a red shirt at one point. This makes the scenes involving blood stand out even more. The gang wears black suits, white shirts and black ties. It's almost like a uniform.

I avoided seeing Reservoir Dogs for several years because I don't like pointless violence, but I'm glad I eventually decided to watch it. You have to realize that Tarantino's films are dark comedies and that humor is present in almost every conversation or situation. It's intelligent humor, but it's there. As a result, I'm able to watch the violent scenes knowing that they are tongue-in-cheek for the most part. I'm tempted to say that Tarantino films belong to a genre all of their own. The only other films that have a similar feel are some of the Coens' work, such as Fargo, and Martin McDonagh's In Bruges.

Reservoir Dogs is a fascinating and original look at events after a robbery. You can see many of Tarantino's trademarks such as the use of music, dialogue, camera shots from inside a trunk, flashbacks to expand characters and a Mexican standoff. I highly recommend Tarantino's unique style.

Overall score 4.5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Bold enough to be a new genre, July 18 2004
Ryan (Ann Arbor) - See all my reviews
Quentin Tarantino has done an amazing job at taking a very low budget, and using a unique method of story telling and raw dialogue to turn it around. He was also lucky to get a great cast much like Pulp Fiction did. This film creates a new genre, because his un-chronological and very raw vision will be and is being copied all over the world. Many people criticize Tarantino for worshipping violence and profanity. However, when you examine the film's plot, it is really quite reasonable that characters swear as much as they do. And also, the violence in the movie only seems as bad as you make it in your mind, as the worst parts are only partially shown. This is another one of Tarantino's tricks. Some great performances are had too, for example Michael Madsen. His cold-blooded and partially psychotic character misleads us, up until a scene where he attempts to burn a kidnapped police officer, where our adoration of him turns to hate. However, Quentin quickly balances that out wonderfully. The ending may be a little "off" for some people, but all in all a great film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who let these 'dogs' out?, May 27 2004
BEnDR1985 (State College, PA) - See all my reviews
I've been studying movies for over a decade now and believe me when I say this that Tarantino is possibly one of the best or possibly the best director I have ever scene. He can take a mediocre plot and film it so beautifully that you get hooked onto the movie so badly you can't let go. "Reservoir Dogs" makes you feel like you actually know each of these criminals one by one.
Now not seeing the movie may make you think I'm a little disturbed when I say this but the graphic violence and the ultra graphic language is part of why this movie is so great. It brings you into the atmosphere, I mean criminals actually act and talk like that. The acting of the convicts are so superb, Keitel and Busecmi (Did I spell that right?)
Now this clever plot about a few guys pulling a heist and having an undercover cop in the works is pieced together and filmed very differently than other movies I've seen. It's quite interesting.
I have been recommended to watch "Pulp Fiction" I hear its better, but who knows. Watch this movie for Tarantinos greatness in filming, he is a tad weird though I mean look at the ear scene, probably the most memorable "infamous" scene of the movie. This DVD has three alternate angles, I dont dare watch them (yuck!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarentino's First & Perhaps Foremost..., May 20 2004
Quentin Tarantino's first movie is so good that it should be almost impossible to make a better (or to some, on par) movie after it. Of course we know he did that with 'Pulp Fiction' but here Tarantino already shows us how great he is. 'Reservoir Dogs' is a violent movie with some scenes, one in particular, that could be too much for you. If you can stand the violence you should not miss this one.
Six gangsters, who know each other only by there codename, have to steal some diamonds. They are set up and the police is expecting them. Mr. White (Harvey Keitel) escapes with Mr. Orange (Tim Roth) who is shot already. They arrive in the warehouse where they were supposed to go. Not much later Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) and Mr. Blonde (Michael Madsen) arrive as well. Who is the traitor? Is it one of them, or may be the missing Mr. Blue (Eddie Bunker) or Mr. Brown (Quentin Tarantino), the boss Joe Cabot (Lawrence Tierney) or his son Nice Guy Eddie (Chris Penn)?
The direction from Tarantino is extremely sharp, Michael Madsen is pure evil and Buscemi, Keitel and especially Roth give fine performances as well. Another great thing is the soundtrack from The George Baker Selection with Little Green Bag to Harry Nilsson with Coconut. A great first movie from a great director. And ask yourself this, do you tip?

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, May 3 2004
This is Tarantino's first and shortest film, and yet it can't help but blow everyone away.
First I'd like to say to those who compare this film to Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill in a bad way, what are you thinking? This is the one film by Tarantino where if he had the chance to go back now, and change anything he wanted to, he would change nothing, this is perfect as it is.
Second, I'd like to mention the amazing performance by none other than Mr. Steve Buscemi, who in my opinion is just the greatest character in the film, and the other person who could ever fill that role of Mr. Pink, who's ending is just the greatest of them all, I would love to see a tv series spin-off or another movie entitled Mr. Pink, since his story was the one that really didn't recieve as much attention as it should have, not including Brown and Blue of course, plus Steve Buscemi is just amazing.
Third, why do people forget Tarantino's Third Film, Jackie Brown? To those of you who compare this with Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction go get Jackie Brown, and be delighted.
Also just to finish, Harvey Keitel just like Steve Buscemi is amazing in everything he does and this is no different.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reservoir Dogs, May 1 2004
A group of low-rent thugs are recruited by a crime boss to steal a shipment of diamonds. To protect things, nobody uses their real names. Rather they are given color names - Mr. Pink, Mr. Brown, etc. If they're caught, that deep level of anonymity will protect the rest of the group. RESERVOIR DOGS is all about what happens when good heists go bad. And this one goes very bad indeed.
There is some very graphic violence here and gallons of movie blood are spilled; I strongly suggest anyone with a weak taste for such things pass this one by. There are also some scenes that just go on and on and on, minutes after they've finished their business. The characters, save for a few exceptions, are vaguely drawn. I watched the special with the critics' review and I guess this was all intentional on Quentin Tarantino's part.
The cast is excellent. I don't usually like graphically violent movie, but I thought the infamous "ear" scene was very well done. Yeah, it's brutal and it'll make you squirm some, it wasn't needed to push the story along, but it works.
I give this one a tepid endorsement, mainly because I'm a big fan of Harvey Keitel and Steve Buscemi.

3.0 out of 5 stars Harsh, uncompromising Tarantino, April 29 2004
Daniel A. Marsh (Sherman, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I would not advise watching this movie with anyone other than a person who has A) a strong stomach, B) a high tolerance for foul language and C) an appreciation for black humor.
QT's debut film is a powerful crime drama with images vivid enough to sear holes in your brain. Few directors who have been at work for decades can match the ferocity, passion, and sheer intensity found in Reservoir Dogs. It is an unforgettable experience, whether you ultimately like the movie or not.
The acting is first-rate, as usual with a Tarantino film. The dialogue is funny, obscene, insightful and instantly recognizable as QT. As a thriller, this is one tight little number.
The only trouble is that Reservoir Dog probably will not age as well as Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. Subtlety isn't its strongest point, and it lacks the nuances and character development that Tarantino went on to master. This is not Tarantino's best movie, but with his level of talent, perhaps that's not surprising. Reservoir Dogs was a great place to start, and as a writer and filmmaker, QT has improved tremendously.

Reservoir Dogs (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Reservoir Dogs (Widescreen/Full Screen) by Quentin Tarantino (DVD - 2001)
CDN$ 17.98 CDN$ 14.95