5.0 out of 5 stars Fleetwood Mac triumphs with '97 Reunion Performance!
Published on June 23 2004 by GoodTaste80

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst sounding DVD I have ever heard
Published on Sept. 18 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Fleetwood Mac triumphs with '97 Reunion Performance!, June 23 2004
This review is from: Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (1997) (DVD)
This is the performance that introduced this legendary rock band to a new generation in the late 1990's. This is Fleetwood Mac's first performance together in over 10 years, since Lindsey left the band in 1987, filmed live on a LA soundstage before many of Hollywood's elite. The entire band rocks out on every single song - there is not one bad performance on this DVD. The sound of the band and the quality of the DVD sound is EXCELLENT. Above all, the interaction between band members, particularly Lindsey & Stevie, is PRICELESS. As Stevie Nicks said of this performance "As magic as it gets, it was." Stevie Nicks proves her standing as The Queen of Rock on every song, turning on all of her trademark moves, not to mention looking and sounding incredibly beautiful. Christine McVie, equally as graceful and beautiful, treats the audience to a few of her Fleetwood Mac hits, and Lindsey proves that Fleetwood Mac just isn't the same without him. The audience is treated to a few surprises, including an emotional "Landslide" (the version you hear on the radio was taken from this performance) which shows clear reconsiliation between Lindsey & Stevie, a visit from the USC marching band on "Tusk" (they also played on the "Tusk" album)and an AWESOME performance between Lindsey & Stevie of her Grammy nominated "Silver Springs". The album version of this performance was nominated for a Grammy & went to #1 on the charts - you'll wonder why it didn't win an Oscar for best real-life drama after you see this one! The only set back is that "Stand Back" and "Little Lies" are not included on this performance, yet you couldn't ask for more after you finish watching it! This DVD proves why Fleetwood Mac is one of rock's most legendary bands! You'll watch it over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chain brought them together again, and I'm glad it did., Oct. 3 2003
This review is from: Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (1997) (DVD)
'The Dance' is an absolute must - have for all Fleetwood Mac fans, as it was this reunion which brought the famous five back together to make some controlled, superb and thoroughly listenable music! They are all on top form in this video, and although not quite as active on stage as before, they still keep the audience wanting more, with neither a note or a foot out of place throughout. A large portion of the setlist is included, though unfortunately Stevie Nicks' solo smash, 'Stand Back' was not put on the video. Four new songs, and a breathtaking version of Nicks' 'Silver Springs' are featured, as well as an entire live USC marching band for 'Don't Stop' and 'Tusk'.
So all in all, a quintessential part to any pop/rock music fan, and a fine performance from all angles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs a rating of 10 stars, April 9 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (1997) (DVD)
If this isn't the best live recording ever done, I'd like to know what is.
And if you weren't a Fleetwood Mac fan before watching it, you will certainly be a lifetime convert by the second or third performance on this video.
All five band members are on top of their game here, and you don't have to know much about the painful relationship histories played out on Rumours in order to feel the emotional reconciliation and maturity that is evident throughout The Dance.
This, simply put, is a magnificent collection of performances by the most insanely talented group in pop music history.
About as close to perfect as you can get.

4.0 out of 5 stars To be watched over and over and over again, April 24 2003
This review is from: Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (1997) (DVD)
I am a huge FM fan. I was sceptical about buying this because the band hadn't been together for awhile, and well, they were older. I wondered if the magic had been lost. All I can say is that I was a fool to think that! I could have been enjoying this concert DVD ages ago.
I bought the DVD this week after reading such positive reviews on Amazon. Stevie Nick's voice is still in top form, despite what others have said about her voice during this concert. She also seemed to really enjoy being back on stage with the band. It's common knowledge that Christine McVie didn't want to be part of this concert, and it shows. This is my only complaint with the concert - she rarely smiles and looks out of place - she has the look of "is it time to go yet?" She puts only an average effort into the songs she sings at this concert. Anyway, aside from that, you get FM showcasing some of their best stuff including brilliant renditions of "Tusk" and "Landslide".
I can't recommend this music DVD enough, it's brilliant. It might not have DTS, but that isn't a problem - the 5.1 is absolutely fine. This is a music DVD that belongs in every FM fan's collection. Buy it and treasure it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential Offering, Dec 16 2003
This review is from: The Dance (VHS Tape)
This concert from the Mac is essential for two reasons: 1) you get to hear/see the songs left off from the Dance CD and 2) it was probably the last time Christine McVie toured with the band. Even if you aren't a fan of Christine's songs, her voice beautifully fills in the 3-part harmonies that made Fleetwood Mac so famous. And those 3-part harmonies were sorely missed on FM's latest album and tour (Say You Will), as good as that record and tour were.
The Dance concert is amazing from start to finish. There's not a dud in the entire set, although naturally some songs are better than others. (Stevie's Sweet Girl, for instance, while pleasant enough, sounds like a cast-off from her solo albums, and it may very well have been just that.) A few comments:
--Great version of The Chain! Lindsey, Stevie, and Chris at their harmonizing best.
--Gold Dust Woman rocks. Stevie really gets into this one and we get a chilling "scream." They should have bumped Dreams off the CD and included GDW. Really.
--One of the best versions of Gypsy I've ever heard. Again, should have been on the CD.
--Buckingham shines on his two acoustic efforts, Big Love and Go Insane. You really get to see what that man can do with a guitar. Wow.
--Both Say You Love Me and Everywhere sound better than ever. The banjo gives Say you Love Me some extra playfulness.
--Rhiannon, great as always, but I much prefer the "Dream on, silly dreamer" version. :(
--Silver Springs - what can I say? Chilling and intense.
--Encore of Tusk, Don't Stop, and Songbird is a great all-around effort.
Finally, a comment on some of the reviewers' observations that Christine McVie looks bored. Yes, she's more subdued than Nicks, Buckingham, and Fleetwood. But in a band of the eccentric and insane Buckingham and the twirling rock goddess Nicks, someone has to play it cool.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst sounding DVD I have ever heard, Sept. 18 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (1997) (DVD)
I have over 50 DVD's in my collection and I can say with no hesitation this is the worst sounding DVD I have ever heard. I feel the sound is very flat and has no detail. I compared the sound to my Fleetwood Mac Rumours CD, and the sound on the DVD doesn't even compare. If you want to see the band in concert but don't care if the sound recording is of poor quality buy the DVD. If you want to hear a high quality recording on DVD try James Taylor Live or The Eagles Hell Freezes Over on DTS. I know that I am in the minority after reading some of the other reviews here so maybe I got a poorly recorded version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Concert for Mac Fans !!!, April 5 2014
This review is from: Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (1997) (DVD)
I hate when people review bands 30 years later and say things like "Oh ...they were nothing like they were back in 1977...or they have changed. DUH....yes they have changed...but the one consistant with this line up of Fleetwood Mac is they DID in fact continue to get better.The Dance is a concert that you can enjoy as a fan simply because you feel as if you are watching old friends have a reunion. They stay true to their music all the way through the show...each member accepts their spotlight and they are not trying to steal it from any other member. Not only that but the interactions between the band is incredibly respectful...perhaps an acknowledgement of earlier times when that was not the case.The music is incredible...every song stood out on its own merit...even the ones considered to be "new" at the time in 1997.I would love to see Dance Part 2 become a reality and have it feature some of Macs many hits and other great songs that did not make it to The Dance.Songs like Beautiful Child and Angel ...Over and Over from the Tusk album. Second Hand News and I Don't Wanna Know from Rumours....Monday Morning , Blue Letter and Crystal from Fletwood Mac album....Seven Wonders ..Little Lies...You and I ...Family Man from Tango In The Night...Perhaps Love In Store...Hold Me(revised) Eyes of the World...Can't Go Back...Wish You Were Here and Straight Back from Mirage. Die Hard Mac Fans would love it I am sure. Seeing how we just learned that Christine McVie has agrred to return to the bang along with Stevie and Lindsey John and of course Mick for a new 2014 studio album...perhaps The Dance 2 idea might not be so far off.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest bands and concerts ever!, July 14 2011
This review is from: Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (1997) (DVD)
I purchased this DVD late May, 2011 but did not get time to relax and watch it until July 2011.

It was worth waiting until I had the proper time to really relax, enjoy and appreciate what was and still is real music, talent and artistry. I am so glad that I grew up in an era where music made sense. In Fleetwood Mac's music, they sing about sharing love and fellings absent of vulgarity like in todays music.

I watched it on my home theatre system and it was awesome! It kind of felt like I was there. Some of the songs, I wish they would have sang like on the album but this was an amazing concert. My following comments don't do them justice; Mick Fleetwood is one of the best drummers I've ever seen and heard, he really is into his art. Lindsay Buckingham, is an incredible guitar player. My wife asked in one of the songs, how is he playing his guitar that way. It was Mesmerizing. I love the whole group including the back up people in the band, especially the guy on the bongos. The USC Marching band was a very nice touch!

This DVD is worth every penny and more.

Thank you Amazon for your prompt responses, efficiency and safe delivery of this product.

I would positively recommend purchasing from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Instant Classic!!!!, Sept. 12 2003
This review is from: The Dance (VHS Tape)
Im a 19 year-old college student and I saw "The Dance" for first time in April on PBS and became an instant fan that night. I went right out and bought "Tango in the Night" and "Rumours". I never enjoyed classic rock until I watched this concert. The DVD's sound quality and the performance are nearly flawless.
My picks of the night included "Everywhere", "Gypsy", "Go Insane" and "You Make Loving Fun". Stevie's vocals on "Gold Dust Woman" and "Silver Springs" are intense and give me chills every time I hear them. Lyndsay's guitar work is spectacular (his solo on "Gypsy" is perfect) and Mick and John's driving pulse equally infectious. Christine is still my favorite and even though her stage presence is somewhat lacking, she is a briliant song-writer and musician whose voice is is in top form, "Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii".
The new material was outstanding, with the exception of "My Little Demon" (I just don't get it!). "Sweet Girl" and "Temporary One" could have been on any of the classic albums.
I only wish that there had been room for a few more songs. Why wasn't "Sara" in the set list. My personal requests would have been to ditch "Demon" and "I'm so Afraid" in favor of "Monday Morning" and "Second Hand News". It would be nice if Christine would have done "Little Lies" and "Hold Me" and Stevie could have added in "Sara" and "Seven Wonders". Even though their "classic" material is mostly associated with the seventies, it would have been nice to see their 80's pop gems get their due.
This DVD showcases the band in top form; expert performers finely tuned in their craft. The piano in "Rhiannon" and the banjo on "Say You Love Me" were perfect touches for the night. Stevie's expressions during "Landslide" timeless, "I'm getting older, too....." makes you realize that they are all in their fifties now. John and Mick prove once again that that they are perhaps the premier bass line of the past quarter-century. I suggest getting "The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac" and giving "Say You Will" a shot. Some of the material is pretty good (listen to "Steal Your Heart Away"). That being said, this DVD is a treasure you need to buy and share.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing, July 5 2003
Giovanni Mantilla (Bogota, Colombia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (1997) (DVD)
I never thought I could ever fall in love with a band quite like I did with Fleetwood Mac. And all upon watching this magical concert. Fleetwood Mac are one of the most legendary, enduring bands ever, and this 1997 concert showcases them in all their reunited glory, after years of bad relationships they decided to come together one last time. I guess it was meant to be and the magic shone through... ever song, every move, everything about this concert is perfect. I had the videotape but I just had to get the DVD. The choice of songs here is outstading, ranging from their biggest hits (Dreams, Don't Stop, Tusk, Gypsy, Big Love, Go Your Own Way, etc) to more obscure songs (Silver Springs!!!!!) and new stuff. Everything is in this package. THE most touching moment for me is, of course, "Silver Springs", a beautiful "left-over" (b-side) from the Rumours era (there's a story behind it!) which proves that FM can make beautiful, touching and compelling music. The closing number, "Songbird", is every bit as heartbreaking as it was in the 70s. Please, do yourself a favor and get this. It will make you cry and rejoice... after years of owning it, it still floors me everytime!

Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (1997)
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (1997) by Bruce Gowers (DVD - 1999)
CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 11.99