4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable but...
Published on Jan. 31 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars i like it enough to buy it
Published on Sept. 30 2004 by maggie smith fan

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable but..., Jan. 31 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
An enjoyable adaptation, emphasis on adaptation, of the book. I found the characters very believable and especially enjoyed the characters of Mary, Dickon, Martha, Collin and Lord Craven. The movie itself is entrancing and certainly worth watching. That being said however those people who enjoy the book may find a few disappointments like I did. To put a book into a movie often requires the compression of activities. However I fail to see the reason to change the relationship between Mary's parents and her uncle, Lord Craven. In the book Mary's father and Lord Craven's late wife are brother and sister. In the movie Mary's mother and Lord Craven's wife are twin sisters. This is used to change one of the more important parts of the book where Collin has "his mother's eyes" which is a great part of the pain that Lord Craven feels when he looks at Collin. Collin is also less spoiled, or at least less demanding, in the movie. He is controlled by the housekeeper rather than being the "lord of the manor" as he is in the book. While setting up more confrontation it also detracts from his change from "spoiled brat" to a normal boy. One other point that I did not like, they leave out Dickon's mother who plays a small but pivotal role in the book.

Overall I would recommend this movie however if you have not read the book, read it for it gives great scope to ones imagination and is much more "human".

4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful movie, Feb. 14 2013
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
One of my favorite movies. It reminds me of the healing power and the magic of the garden. I could watch it over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting tale, May 24 2008
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
When an earthquake in India leaves her an orphan, Mary Lennox is sent to live at her uncle's remote estate in England. The spoiled, bratty Mary is quite miserable with no one to talk to or play with and a stern housekeeper (Maggie Smith) hovering over her. When Mary begins exploring the manor, she discovers not only a secret garden but also a secret cousin!

This is a beautifully-filmed children's story about the power of friendship and overcoming adversity. I wasn't familiar with the 1911 book (although I want to read it now), and I expected something awful to happen to the garden or the children, but only good things happen, so it's ideal for kids of all ages.

The Yorkshire location is lovely and the acting is uniformly wonderful. The joys of bringing an old garden to life and befriending a shut-in child are the simple, yet profound pleasures of this story. Highly recommended for those who like sweet, sentimental stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Video, June 25 2014
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
Excellent delivery timing! Arrived in perfect condition, so happy to have the opportunity to have this Great Thank you for sharing this One!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Garden Reviewed, May 17 2014
Yes this movie varies from the original novel. I bought it for viewing at our book club meeting the month we read the original novel. And yes, the things that varied (the mother being twins, the lack of a disease massacre and instead either an earthquake or an invasion (they're not quite clear on that)) were very different. But the feelings of the story were still present. The three children were excellent in their roles, and Maggie Smith was wonderful. I will definitely be re-watching this film time and time again in the future. It's fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars loooove it, July 24 2014
This review is from: The Secret Garden (DVD)
this movie is very calming, but somehow at the same time it is one of the most interesting movies you'll ever watch. the little girl looks a little evil though.

3.0 out of 5 stars i like it enough to buy it, Sept. 30 2004
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
Hi there. I have brought the vhs of this movie, and I like it enough to rebuy it and upgrade to dvd. I haven't read the book first, but I've heard it wasn't exactly true to the book, however the actors are fitting and I love maggie smith in any movie I've seen. The graphics and growing of the garden is fantastic. It's definately worth watching anyway though, and it makes me want to read the book of this. :-D pianist@shaw.ca

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Garden, May 11 2011
I really enjoyed this movie. I enjoyed watching the garden come a live with Mary help. The animals are adorable in the movie.
One day while Mary was exploring around the grounds of the estate, Mary found a key near the garden gate. Mary, who is an ambitious, determined young lady to get her cousin Colin out of his bed and on his feet; told Colin about the garden that she discovered. Colin wanted to see for himself the garden. Mary was delighted to show Colin her secret garden. It is a great movie with a happy ending.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifuly done but "creative" with the plot, July 15 2004
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
This is a beautiful film, there is absolutely no denying that. It is also exceptionally well cast: Mary's transformation from sour little brat to glowing wee lass is completely believable, and the bratty, dour Colin makes a perfect "to the manor born" invalid. My only problem is the liberties taken with the plot.
Having the parents die in an earthquake while Mary is watching is a needless, though minor liberty (though it does mean that the touching line about "there's no one left to come" must be left out). But there was no need to change the plot to make the housekeeper (a wasted Maggie Smith) evil, and the chanting around the campfire is just weird.
The movie is worth watching for the scenery alone, but make sure that you read the book first. It is much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars all about hope, Jan. 20 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
This is one of my very favorite movies. It is about the need to feel wanted and it is about living. This is a beautiful story about children who find life in a garden and themselves in each other. Anyone who adores stories about how fragile we humans are and how much we need one another (and how much good we can do for one another) will love this movie. I find no fault with it. It is all about HOPE. (And I do not think the chanting and dream sequence is odd: the most spiritual of us do not close our minds and hearts.)

The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen)
The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) by Agnieszka Holland (DVD - 1997)
CDN$ 7.99 CDN$ 6.43