biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

on March 16, 2001
Director Holland manages the trick of being faithful to Burnett's text - in terms of narrative, setting, character etc. - while subverting its ideological assumptions. The unobtrusive analysis of class qualifies all movement towards resolution, focusing on the excluded, working class boy rather than any restoration of aristocracy. Mary's parents in India are symptomatic of wider Imperial apathy; while the ghostly manor is an allegory for a sick, disintegrating empire.
Mary the outsider in Gothdom bares the mark of 'Edward Scissorhands' writer Caroline Thompson, but Kieslowski proteges Holland and Preisner only get one chance to emulate their master, a firelit childrens' wish reaching their guardian thousands of miles away.
on September 12, 2001
This remake of the classic title was a disappointment at the box office and no one knows why. It's exactly what parents say they're looking for in a kids' movie. Perhaps it's because many think of it as a "girl's movie." We found that both boys and girls identified with characters on many levels - losing parents, being part of a family and learning to understand one another's feelings. It's a wonderful, universal story. Kids are inspired and moved by the emotions each character goes through. They commented: "No matter what your problems are, you can overcome them." "It must have been shot in a big garden. It was neat." "Awesome, it was the best video ever!" Best for 7 to 12-year-olds.
on November 6, 2000
I have owned this film for I believe 7 years and it is still in my collection after all the years of selling my movies. There is something to say, "this is a classic!" I never wanted to let go of it. I was too weak for it. Kate Maberly is one of the most beautiful ladies in the world, including her acting, being exquisite and intelligent. This film is not a Children's Film as many people claim. This is a very adult film and the more I open my mind, the more I see that an adult (I am a college student) can be watching this and feel they are learning more from a little lady, than from millions of psychologists and books out in the world.
on May 17, 2014
Yes this movie varies from the original novel. I bought it for viewing at our book club meeting the month we read the original novel. And yes, the things that varied (the mother being twins, the lack of a disease massacre and instead either an earthquake or an invasion (they're not quite clear on that)) were very different. But the feelings of the story were still present. The three children were excellent in their roles, and Maggie Smith was wonderful. I will definitely be re-watching this film time and time again in the future. It's fantastic.
on June 20, 2003
This 1993 Warner Bros. version of "The Secret Garden" is the best version in my opinion. It's a much more subtle piece of work than the 1949 MGM version with Margaret O'Brien. The child actors in this film are superb, as well as the adult actors. The cinematography and musical score are both beautiful. I've seen three film versions of "The Secret Garden": MGM's 1949 film, Hallmark's 1987 TV movie, and Warner Brothers' 1993 film. This last one is my favorite of the lot, and one of the most beautiful films ever made.
on January 20, 2004
This is one of my very favorite movies. It is about the need to feel wanted and it is about living. This is a beautiful story about children who find life in a garden and themselves in each other. Anyone who adores stories about how fragile we humans are and how much we need one another (and how much good we can do for one another) will love this movie. I find no fault with it. It is all about HOPE. (And I do not think the chanting and dream sequence is odd: the most spiritual of us do not close our minds and hearts.)
on May 11, 2011
I really enjoyed this movie. I enjoyed watching the garden come a live with Mary help. The animals are adorable in the movie.
One day while Mary was exploring around the grounds of the estate, Mary found a key near the garden gate. Mary, who is an ambitious, determined young lady to get her cousin Colin out of his bed and on his feet; told Colin about the garden that she discovered. Colin wanted to see for himself the garden. Mary was delighted to show Colin her secret garden. It is a great movie with a happy ending.
on September 17, 2001
This is a wonderful, universal story. The content is appropriate to this audience. Kids identify with characters on many levels - losing parents, being part of a family and learning to understand feelings. Stimulates students' creativity. Kids are inspired and moved by the emotions present in each of the characters. "No matter what your problems are, you can overcome them." "It must have been taped in a big garden. It was neat." "Awesome, it was the best video ever." Best for ages 8 to 12.
on December 7, 1999
I saw this movie when I was in elementary school and loved the character of Mary, I relished in the classic story from the children's book, and I begged my mom to purchase the video. To this day I still watch that movie, with every viewing more intrigued. The music is haunting, the landscape eerie and beautiful, and the acting superb. I still marvel at this film and only wished it was more celebrated. Adults and children will enjoy this classic film.
on March 30, 2002
This is the best version of the secret garden i have ever seen!I love EVERYTHING about it.The story, the acting , the settings , everything! I especially LOVE Kate maberly's , heydon prowse's, and andrew knott's acting. The three of them playing the role of the three children , mary lennox,colin craven,and dickon sowerby,
gives you a perfect idea of how the characters are.This is the very best version of The secret garden , ever!