4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable but...
An enjoyable adaptation, emphasis on adaptation, of the book. I found the characters very believable and especially enjoyed the characters of Mary, Dickon, Martha, Collin and Lord Craven. The movie itself is entrancing and certainly worth watching. That being said however those people who enjoy the book may find a few disappointments like I did. To put a book into a...
Published on Jan. 31 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifuly done but "creative" with the plot
This is a beautiful film, there is absolutely no denying that. It is also exceptionally well cast: Mary's transformation from sour little brat to glowing wee lass is completely believable, and the bratty, dour Colin makes a perfect "to the manor born" invalid. My only problem is the liberties taken with the plot.
Having the parents die in an earthquake...
Published on July 15 2004 by Megan

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for girls..., Sept. 12 2001
R. Levy "kids_first" (USA) - See all my reviews
This remake of the classic title was a disappointment at the box office and no one knows why. It's exactly what parents say they're looking for in a kids' movie. Perhaps it's because many think of it as a "girl's movie." We found that both boys and girls identified with characters on many levels - losing parents, being part of a family and learning to understand one another's feelings. It's a wonderful, universal story. Kids are inspired and moved by the emotions each character goes through. They commented: "No matter what your problems are, you can overcome them." "It must have been shot in a big garden. It was neat." "Awesome, it was the best video ever!" Best for 7 to 12-year-olds.

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel confident in giving this film 5 stars!, Nov. 6 2000
Lilien (Croatia, Europe) - See all my reviews
I have owned this film for I believe 7 years and it is still in my collection after all the years of selling my movies. There is something to say, "this is a classic!" I never wanted to let go of it. I was too weak for it. Kate Maberly is one of the most beautiful ladies in the world, including her acting, being exquisite and intelligent. This film is not a Children's Film as many people claim. This is a very adult film and the more I open my mind, the more I see that an adult (I am a college student) can be watching this and feel they are learning more from a little lady, than from millions of psychologists and books out in the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful movie, Feb. 14 2013
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
One of my favorite movies. It reminds me of the healing power and the magic of the garden. I could watch it over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting tale, May 24 2008
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
When an earthquake in India leaves her an orphan, Mary Lennox is sent to live at her uncle's remote estate in England. The spoiled, bratty Mary is quite miserable with no one to talk to or play with and a stern housekeeper (Maggie Smith) hovering over her. When Mary begins exploring the manor, she discovers not only a secret garden but also a secret cousin!

This is a beautifully-filmed children's story about the power of friendship and overcoming adversity. I wasn't familiar with the 1911 book (although I want to read it now), and I expected something awful to happen to the garden or the children, but only good things happen, so it's ideal for kids of all ages.

The Yorkshire location is lovely and the acting is uniformly wonderful. The joys of bringing an old garden to life and befriending a shut-in child are the simple, yet profound pleasures of this story. Highly recommended for those who like sweet, sentimental stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best "Secret Garden" film., June 20 2003
Stewart (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
This 1993 Warner Bros. version of "The Secret Garden" is the best version in my opinion. It's a much more subtle piece of work than the 1949 MGM version with Margaret O'Brien. The child actors in this film are superb, as well as the adult actors. The cinematography and musical score are both beautiful. I've seen three film versions of "The Secret Garden": MGM's 1949 film, Hallmark's 1987 TV movie, and Warner Brothers' 1993 film. This last one is my favorite of the lot, and one of the most beautiful films ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars all about hope, Jan. 20 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
This is one of my very favorite movies. It is about the need to feel wanted and it is about living. This is a beautiful story about children who find life in a garden and themselves in each other. Anyone who adores stories about how fragile we humans are and how much we need one another (and how much good we can do for one another) will love this movie. I find no fault with it. It is all about HOPE. (And I do not think the chanting and dream sequence is odd: the most spiritual of us do not close our minds and hearts.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Caring Makes A World Of Difference, Sept. 17 2001
This is a wonderful, universal story. The content is appropriate to this audience. Kids identify with characters on many levels - losing parents, being part of a family and learning to understand feelings. Stimulates students' creativity. Kids are inspired and moved by the emotions present in each of the characters. "No matter what your problems are, you can overcome them." "It must have been taped in a big garden. It was neat." "Awesome, it was the best video ever." Best for ages 8 to 12.

5.0 out of 5 stars An utterly breathtaking film for all ages., Dec 7 1999
Casey (Mission Viejo, CA) - See all my reviews
I saw this movie when I was in elementary school and loved the character of Mary, I relished in the classic story from the children's book, and I begged my mom to purchase the video. To this day I still watch that movie, with every viewing more intrigued. The music is haunting, the landscape eerie and beautiful, and the acting superb. I still marvel at this film and only wished it was more celebrated. Adults and children will enjoy this classic film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful! The best!, March 30 2002
This is the best version of the secret garden i have ever seen!I love EVERYTHING about it.The story, the acting , the settings , everything! I especially LOVE Kate maberly's , heydon prowse's, and andrew knott's acting. The three of them playing the role of the three children , mary lennox,colin craven,and dickon sowerby,
gives you a perfect idea of how the characters are.This is the very best version of The secret garden , ever!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Film, Aug. 1 1999
By A Customer
Great for children, but also entertaining for adults. This movie features particularly lovely scenes and landscapes and some nice cinematography. The adaptation manages to capture some of the mystical, dreamy quality of the novel. The acting is generally good. This version does lack a bit of the frightening quality of the book and other film versions, but this is not a serious flaw. Also a rather nice musical score.

The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen)
The Secret Garden (Widescreen/Full Screen) by Agnieszka Holland (DVD - 1997)
CDN$ 7.99 CDN$ 7.26