Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: DVDChange

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on September 30, 2003
Here is another movie in which a guy makes a bet about girl, falls in love with girl, then girl finds out, etc. There have to have been at least 40 other movies and tv shows with this plot. Honestly, I would advise you to avoid all movies that have Freddie Prinze Jr. as their star. Every one that I have seen is rubbish.
In this movie, popular guy/jock Zack(Freddie Prinze Jr.) gets dumped by his self-absorbed witch of a girlfriend Taylor(how can you like a character who would go out with her?) for a rude self-absorbed tv star named Brock. While reeling from this shocking breakup, he makes a bet with a jerk friend of his(Okay, how did they become friends?) named Dean. The bet is that he can take any girl and make her a prom queen within the eight weeks before the prom. His "friend" picks out Laney, a misfit artist with horn-rimmed glasses and an extremely unbecoming haircut, played by Rachel Leigh Cook. A relative of mine glanced at the cover that features a photo of her and, after hearing a brief plot summary, said, "Oh, yeah right, like she could be a geek."
However, Cook manages it so well at the beginning that I found it difficult not to consider her a freak. Especially after the 'preforming arts' cafe scene. Anyway, Laney ends up flowering into a beautiful girl who gets nominated as prom queen (big surprise, huh?). The other nominee? Zack's old girlfriend Taylor.
Poor Zack begins to fall in love with Laney, but, unfortunately for him, his 'buddy' Dean decides that the new Laney is totally hot and tells her all about the bet. He omits the fact that it was his idea and that he selected her as the victim. Must have slipped his mind. Laney is shocked and hurt. Gee, what will happen? Will Zack be able to win her back? Ooh, that's a tough one. Oh, there is also a milisecond appearance by Sarah Michelle Gellar. This really does nothing to improve the movie. I suggest that you save your money.
on April 22, 2001
Okay, I just want to start off saying the movie is excellent that is not the reason I rated it with 2 stars, the reason is the DVD! No features, only a music video (great video). Some people on other websites have said this DVD has only 2.0 channel surround sound, even though the case says 5.1, I didn't really noticed because I saw this DVD two years ago. The movie is a really cute, funny and definitely a date movie for sure. The picture quality is good on the DVD. By the way there are two versions of the music video out there the "She's All That" version and the "Dawson's Creek" version, the video is of "Kiss Me" by 6pence none the Richer (great band), the difference is that the She's All That video has the cast from the movie in it, the "'Creek" version has footage from the TV show. Great movie though buy it instantly. One note about the sound Disney re-released the DVD with 5.1 YEA!
Movie Grade: A+, Picture: A+, Sound: C+ (2.0 version), A+ (5.1), Extras: D
on December 23, 1999
I expected this to be one of the worst movies ever. Mainly because it's based on a cruel bet, and the general message is "nobody will like an ugly duckling until it becomes a beautiful swan". The movies only saving grace is a hilarious performance by Matthew Lillard as the local pretty boy who is so full of himself he has his picture tattooed on his arm! This movie might have been not to bad if they had gotten someone other than Freddie Prinze Jr, possibly the least likeable of the current wave of "teen heartthrobs". When we first meet him in the movie, he prances around the school, tries smoothing over girls, and gazes at a photo of himself. I found it too easy to believe that Freddie Prinze Jr would actually do that in real life. His performance is so bad it's hilarious! There were scenes involving Rachael Leigh Cook (a much better actress than the film deserves) that were dramatic and quite believable, and then Prinze's "acting" made the scenes hilarious! And has anyone ever seen a teenager have a fight with their dad, and then resolve the problem in less than two minutes? The final outcome of the film is so predictible you know it before the film has even started, and considering I didn't even like the "hero" (arrogant, mean-spirited dirtbag who tries to customise a girl for himself) I didn't really want that outcome. There were other characters in the film that I would have been happier to see her wind up with.
on August 9, 1999
Okay, okay, so the movie's "cute" and the leads are appealing. But doesn't anybody wonder just what kind of message a movie like this sends to adolsecents, and adolsecent girls in particular? Doesn't the idea that your personal worth comes from how good-looking or popular you are need to be challenged rather than reinforced? Sure, Laney is smart, sassy, and has a heart of gold, but none of that really matters until she metamorphosises into an MTV-style knockout, does it? And doesn't anyone else ever notice how, in movies like this, even the "geeky" kids are hipper and better-looking than ninety percent of real-life kids? If you're an actual high-school outcast, does a fairy-tale story like this lift you up and give you hope, or does it simply cast the bitter, painful realities of adolescence in bold relief? Yeah, all right, this is only a lighthearted romantic teen comedy. But as someone who remembers firsthand what it was like to be at the bottom of the high school status pyramid, I would like to see a teen flick that truly encourages kids to be themselves and not drive themselves crazy trying to join the "in" crowd and make themselves conform to some Hollywood/Madison Avenue ideal of physical attractiveness. Anyway, there's my rant; should I just lighten up, or does somebody else out there share my concerns?
on July 22, 1999
Freddy Prinze Jr. and Matthew Lillard appear together in Wing Commander. That movie sucked, this one is only slightly better. Yes, we've seen this plot many times before. Preppie makes bet with another preppie that they can make a nerd cool, nerd gets cool, nerd discovers bet, nerd dumps preppie (who now really likes them), preppie espouses true love and retreives nerd. An extreme sense of Deja Vu here. Anyway, Lillard does what he does best, be obnoxious. He controls the camera whenever he appears. There was a scene so just totally went outside the movie, and I really got the idea that it was inserted later. It had absolutely nothing to do with the film, and an extremely different tone. The most energetic part of the movie is the great 90's style swing dancing at the ball, very entertaining. Unfortunately this lasts about 1 1/2 minutes. The movie touches on loss, and how it makes you hide from society; and living in a parents shadow. Both going to the central issue of facing life after high school. This breakfast club heart-to-heart is actually only discussed in passing though. In short, this movie wants to be a Peggie Sue got Married, and a Can't Hardly Wait all in one. It fails on both counts. I recammend fast forwarding to the Matthew Lillard scenes and the dance sequence at the end.
on November 11, 2000
I had high hopes for this film, after all my friends telling me that this movie was so "All That" and that it was really good. It was pretty charming all right, and the two leads have some chemistry, but it wasn't very convincing. Come on, people, Laney without that midriff-baring red dress and makeup is STILL CUTE! If the character is cute right from the beginning ( where she so desperately tries NOT to look cute by wearing boring clothes), it's kinda hard to cheer for her or be in a mood like her at the end, isn't it?? And for the rest of the movie, it's not that funny, except for that part where Matthew Lilliard dances..he's so terrible its hilarious. I have to say that this movie is more looks than feelings, but what else do you except from a teen movie?? If you want a REAL teen movie that has REAL characters to it, check out "The Breakfast Club". Now that's a masterpiece.. ps>> DVD features weren't that great either.
on February 2, 2000
First there was Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn NOW we have Freddie Prince Jr. and Rachael Leigh Cook. The story line is almost the same. Prince(In the Proffesor Higgins' type role)bets he can transform Cook(Eliza Doolittle) into one of the most popular girls in school. Just like Harrison bet he can transform Hepburn into a "lady". This turned out to be a cute teen film, I guess. The characters were easy to not only follow but like as well,only it just seemed so BORING as after a while. I couldn't wait to leave the theather! If your into these's romantic first love teen films...then you've found the jackpot. OTHERWISE STAY AWAY!
on July 11, 2000
what an underwhelming movie! I thought that this movie would have some genuine cuteness about it but I didn't find very much. The characters are very uninteresting and paper-like. Surface cuteness is there I guess, problem is is that I don't find much life or interest in 'surface cuteness'. I think that it's not so much this movie has fatal flaws, it's just that the whole thing was so blah! I couldn't find myself sympathizing with ANY of the characters! The acting was OK but certainly not top-notch. Bottom line: very mediocre! (Makes we wonder about all these so-called professional movie critics - are they watching the same movie?)
on February 14, 2001
And I'm not just saying this because I'm a "grown up". I LOVE teen movies (Never Been Kissed, Lucas, Breakfast Club, etc.), but the first time I saw this movie I walked in while my roommate was in the middle of it and within 5 minutes I knew everything I needed to about these characters. None of them had any personality to speak of. Laney, especially, STARTS OFF interesting enough but falls flat after she's made over. There's no spark to her whatsoever! I didn't care if they wound up together - the only thing that kept me watching was the hope that the popular girl would get mauled by llamas. She didn't.
on July 28, 1999
This isn't that great of a film. It's in no way a classic. She's All That really tries to be a good movie, but never quite hits the mark. The first thirty minutes or so was pretty bland. The plot sounded okay (even though it matched the plot of Clueless quite a bit), but the movie didn't meet the expectation level I had of it. Parts of She's All That are okay, but on the whole, this movie can be skipped because it's not original and is very predictable. There's nothing fresh to this movie, it's all been done before.