5.0 out of 5 stars True story of hope.
Published on June 3 2004 by Wolfe Moffat

3.0 out of 5 stars WORTH WATCHING
Published on Jan. 31 2001 by Kodie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars True story of hope., June 3 2004
Wolfe Moffat (Franklinville, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Minds (VHS Tape)
While about the only inner city experience I had was working in Buffalo for a couple of months, I did enjoy this movie. If you didn't catch it in the opening, it is based on a true story, and that in and of itself is an awesome testimony of hope. I think that Louanne Johnson would ask for no sympathy being a former Marine. I remember seeing this movie the year after I graduated and enjoying the song, "Gangsta's Paradise" by rapper, Coolio. It was a major status symbol that made this movie great. That was almost 10 years ago. Today, I find myself having a major problem with that song. Listen to the lyrics closely enough, and it appears that Coolio is plain feeling sorry for himself, bathing himself in self pity. That, in my opinion, contradicts the movie by saying, "I am nothing more than a victim of circumstances." Boo-hoo-hoo!! I don't know how many jobs I've been fired from, only to dust myself off and get another one. You are only a victim if you make yourself a victim.
Michelle Pfeiffer played an awesome role, the encourager. You take a close look at the role of Courtney Vance as the principal, the one who wants you to knock before entering and you can't help but ask a simple question, "Is he a prick, or a piller of society?" He almost falls into a neutral category for me because of who he is, and his definition of tough love is not something everyone agrees with. It isn't everyday I'd give a movie of this nature a 5 star, but it is an exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest high school student movie ever made!, Sept. 15 2002
This review is from: Dangerous Minds (Bilingual) (DVD)
Nowadays, high school movies are just crude and gross humor filled (i.e. The New Guy which wasn't a bad movie at all), but in 1995, a little movie called "Dangerous Minds" came out. This was a very beautiful movie. I loved every second of it. The storyline was very good. Michelle Pfeiffer (Pre- I Am Sam and Up Close and Personal) stars as an ex-Marine who is interested in being a substitute teacher to a SMART kid class. But she is placed as the sub teacher of a bunch of urban-ghetto students. The students at first don't like her, but they grow on her as they do on her. The storyline is similar to "Stand and Deliver" but don't consider this as a sequel or an imitation. This movie is awesome! I will love this movie forever. This movie also has a great hiphop/r&b/rap soundtrack that was a hit in 95. There were some good movies that came out in 95, but this was the very best. I don't know why this movie did not get an Oscar nomination! The only objectionable content in this movie is the language which there is a little bit of but not vulgar or pervasive as some movies are today. The MPAA rated this R for language. Get this movie instantly on DVD. This is a must see for all junior high and high school students. Some elementary school students might be interested in this movie but I'm sure it won't be a must see for them. I highly recommend this movie to all ages unless you don't want your young kids (mostly 9 and below) to hear the profanity, then don't let them, but this is the best drama I have ever viewed. If you are looking for a more suitable movie for your young kids instead of "DM" then get the also a must see "Stand and Deliver" which is rated PG for some mild language!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe I never saw this...., Sept. 3 2002
Jody L. Schoth (Katy, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Minds (VHS Tape)
I watched this yesterday, and can't quite believe I never saw it when it came out... considering I'm a big Michelle Pfeiffer fan and of movies similar to this. Maybe I was tired of THE PRINCIPLE and LEAN ON ME type movies at the time... nevertheless, this is an excellent movie with a very good message. Basically through it all... no matter who you are, no matter what difficulties you face in your life, and no matter what cards are played to you... the fact is that you make your own choices. By making your own choices, you choose the path of your own life... even if you give in and allow someone else to make those choices, that was your choice, too.
There's a lot of rough language, and rough characters... but a much more believable storyline than other movies of this same type. It seems all it takes is one person to care to make a difference, where others may see no light. Michelle Pfeiffer's character is that light... and if you've ever asked yourself "what can one person do," this may be a very rewarding or enlightening movie for you - as it was for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars WORTH WATCHING, Jan. 31 2001
This review is from: Dangerous Minds (VHS Tape)
Well first of all Michelle Pfeiffer was good as Lou Anne Johnson. She comes across as very genuine. There there could have been a bit more drama in the film. I found the film a bit unrealistic and the storyline was a bit far fetched. Some of the swearing in the film was unesscarcery.I feel the film could have been a really big hit but it lacked depth and it needed to be more realistic. Apart from these factors I thought it was brilliant, it had comedy, humour sadness, enjoyment. All the nessarcary ingredients for a great film.B ut some how I dont think it came togehter. The other actors in this film such as Courtney B Vance did an excellent job. They portrayed thier characters very well. T his film is suitable for most people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, April 4 1999
This review is from: Dangerous Minds (VHS Tape)
This movie was real good. But it could have gone without the swearing even thought then it wouldn't seem very gangster like. But this movie shows what the kids go through in that kind of a life. It is so sad what happens to Emilio. He was actually starting to change but then the stupid principal wouldn't talk to him. That part just made my mouth hang open when he said he sent him away for not knocking. But I'm not going to tell you the whole story. I think everyone should see it at least once. You don't have to buy it, just rent it or something. It shows you how really gangster life is not really as cool as some people think it to be. But this movie was good enough for me to buy

5.0 out of 5 stars My School!, Jan. 23 2004
MEHRAN MASSOUMI (san carlos, california USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Minds (Bilingual) (DVD)
I, actually go to Carlmont High School in Northern California right now. Carlmont is the school in which this movie is based on. I had always heard from parents who attended Carlmont back when it was much different, and it was hard for me to believe that my school could have been so terrible. After I saw Dangerous Minds which was made about the directors experience at Carlmont high school, I am shocked. It's hard to believe that there was so much violence and drugs. Nowadays Carlmont still has those factors, yet it is improved greatly. The school in the movie is absolutely nothing like it is today. I'm glad for the improvement!

3.0 out of 5 stars PREDICTABLE BUT STILL ENTERTAINING, Oct. 6 2000
ianphillips@uk.dreamcast.com (BOLTON, LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Minds (VHS Tape)
An ex marine takes the challenging position as an English teacher at a tough inner city school where she confronts raucous students who don't want to learn. Not as good as i'd expected with the casting of the capable Michelle Pfieffer in the leading role but is defintley worth a look and at best can be described as entertaining, with a few interesting sub plots along the way. Its not really origanal with its typical fantasy, feel good factor about the tough being tamed, but boasts some good performances and some scenes are genuinley moving. Purley judged on its own merits, its good and worth a look. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Moral - Our choices in life, April 11 2000
This review is from: Dangerous Minds (VHS Tape)
Dangerous Minds was a very good movie although the story line was a little predictable. It showed real kids with real problems. It also shows that all it takes is for someone to actually care about kids like that and they can change. There was a lot of foul language and although that's how kids talk, they could have done without it. I like how the writers had Michelle P's character constantly talk about choices. She showed how everything we do and say is our choice. We may not have choices that we like (which she stated) but everything in life is a choice. Good movie for all (especially students).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Movie!!, Sept. 18 2002
"jem-aja" (Kingston, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Minds (Bilingual) (DVD)
Michelle Pfeiffer is one of my favorite actresses. I have loved this movie for several years. When I noticed the DVD at [a local store] a few weeks ago I just had to have it. So I was thrilled when I got it for my birthday. I just wish that the theatrical trailer was included on the special features section. But I am glad that the music video Gangsta's Paradise is on the DVD. This film is one of Michelle Pfeiffer's best movies. If you like this movie you should also watch What Lies Beneath which stars Michelle Pfeiffer.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent real life movie you can't miss, April 25 1999
This review is from: Dangerous Minds (VHS Tape)
After I watched Dangerous Minds for the first time I couldn't stop watching it. It was such a good movie. It was sad but that was part of what made it so good. Sometimes in order to enjoy a movie there has to be sad parts or it doesn't seem realistic.
My favortie character in the movie was Callie Roberts. She was such a smart, strong person. I felt sorry for her having to be in a class like that.
If you haven't seen Dangerous Minds, you have to rent it. You won't regret it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dangerous Minds (Bilingual)
Dangerous Minds (Bilingual) by Pierre Letarte (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 5.97