5.0 out of 5 stars You must remember this ...
Aaaahhh ... Bogey. AFI's No. 1 film star of the 20th century. Hollywood's original noir anti-hero, epitome of the handsome, cynical and oh-so lonesome wolf (with his "Casablanca"'s Rick Blaine alone, one of the Top 5 guys on the AFI's list of greatest 20th century film heroes); looking unbeatably cool in white dinner jacket or trenchcoat and fedora alike, a glass of...
Published on Feb. 22 2004 by Themis-Athena

3.0 out of 5 stars You Can Keep Paris, I'd Rather Get the Girl
I know I'm supposed to like this movie, but I don't. Of course, it's got some great lines like 'Here's looking at you kid' (I use that one all the time) and 'Play it again, Sam.' The World War Two subplot also kind gets you, like some kind of turf war between rival gangs, the Nazis and the French. But what gives me the jip is the fact that Humphy lets that sweet kid go...
Published on Feb. 3 2001 by Phirip Malrowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingrid Bergman is a hottie!, May 8 2001
"porwekin" (Bloomington, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NEW Casablanca (DVD) (DVD)
An all time classic love story. Why don't they make movies like this anymore?

5.0 out of 5 stars : ), Dec 8 2000
Rick and Louis start
A beautiful friendship while
Ilsa gets on plane

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 9 2015
Very nice gift! My uncle was very pleased since it's his number one movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A LOVE STORY., Aug. 21 2002
Boris Zubry "Boris Zubry" (Princeton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NEW Casablanca (DVD) (DVD)
What a love story and it still works. Classic is always a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, Aug. 1 2003
By A Customer
This is the only moive I watched more than a dozen times

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's Looking At You Kid, Sept. 24 2002
M. A HERBST (Mt. Vernon, Wa USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casablanca [Import] (VHS Tape)
If there is one film to be marooned with; this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casablanca Restored, Oct. 19 2010
I've always loved this movie, but now that I've got this restored Blu-ray version I'm in Heaven.

It's not just that it's been cleaned up to it's theatrical release condition, it's better than that still.

If you are watching this on a Hi-Def LED screen it's just as though you were sitting right there in Rick's Café Americain.

It doesn't get any better than this, if you've ever seen Casablanca, you'll love this restoration.

5.0 out of 5 stars A FILM TO PLAY AGAIN & AGAIN, Sept. 21 2001
This review is from: NEW Casablanca (DVD) (DVD)
Don't be surprised if it becomes a classic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good., Aug. 4 2003
A lot of people seem to consider this the "best movie ever", however, Kane it is not. Although I can't understand how anyone could possibly consider this the best, it is a good movie, upon which few improvements could be made. Compared to the best, this movie really isn't great, but compared to the stereotypical quality of a hollywood movie (in the 1940s or the 2000s), Casablanca really is a standout, especially in terms of execution, structure, and quality control and the cast are well suited to their roles.
The biggest problem lay in the contents of the film. The movie maintains an emotional distance that even perceptibly cold films do not obtain - not once was there resonance in the characters or atmosphere, all the way to the thematically bittersweet but absurdly content resolution. Despite the potentially exploitable situations in the movie, you're left with that sense of contentment, neither the dialog nor most of the characters expressions reflect the emotions of the situation, not once was i brought to really consider the situation. This is both a good and a bad thing, while the viewer may remain constantly in safety, a movie of this sort is not at its best without a real sense of danger (not literal danger, but the sort of visceral danger that you find in comedy as well as drama), and therin is where Casablanca fails.
So, Casablanca is a good movie marred less by studio hollywood's conventions (absurdly snappy dialogue, overly bombastic score, etc...) than its refusal to elicit any response from its audience. I'd say, rent this one, as you'll probably feel indifference at both its conclusion and the prospect of whether you'll watch it again or not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Casablanca - Good but not the top of the stack., July 11 2000
Amazon Customer (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casablanca [Import] (VHS Tape)
If I were suddenly transported back to 1940's America I'm sure Casablanca would strike many resonating issues with me. But as the situation exists I am too young to have even a memory of fifty years ago. Even so I can clearly see that Director Michael Curtiz found many ways to tie the originally B track movie into hearts of and eventually the culture of Americans. It was probably difficult to find Americans that were not somehow personally involved in the greater European war efforts. I would think it was easy for the public to identify with the American vs. Nazi propaganda and I'm sure most Americans sympathized with travelers that had to journey through the hazardous gateway town of Casablanca. Most of the film revolves around Rick Blane's(Humphrey Bogart) night club. Rick is mostly detached from the troubles surrounding him saying many times "I stick my neck out for no one." But his façade is pierced when his forgotten love Ilsa Lund Laszlo(Ingrid Bergman) visits his club accompanied by her husband, Victor Laszlo(Paul Henreid) an American propaganda leader. I was amazed at the impact Casablanca has visibly had on our society. For example Bogart inserted many lines into our culture such as "Here's looking at you, kid," and "play it again Sam." I was interested to learn where these lines were first made widely public. I suppose it's these elements that sink into society and make a film like this a classic. I had a difficult time following the film for about the first half hour and then things started making more sense. I would give a higher score if the opening had set the stage a little better. I also feel like the movie is not targeted at my general demographic characteristics but it does a good job of letting us look into the attitudes that were prevalent in the 1940's. An extra point goes to Curtiz for using a juggler in the opening scenes long enough to enjoy and get recognized in the Juggling Information Service's Juggling in Movies list. (I checked) So, Casablanca ends up with a final score of 3 stars-a good classic movie but not on the top of the stack.

NEW Casablanca (DVD)
NEW Casablanca (DVD) by Humphrey Bogart (DVD)
CDN$ 9.99