5.0 out of 5 stars Elvid - That's the Way it Is
Published on Jan. 12 2004 by Mark Terpstra

3.0 out of 5 stars The way it is (now)
Published on Feb. 15 2003 by Profguy

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvid - That's the Way it Is, Jan. 12 2004
Mark Terpstra (Rancho Cucamonga, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This DVD of Elvis's times in Vegas is unbelievable. I am in awe when I watch it. So much better than the VHS version obviously because of the picture and 5.1 sound. On my bigscreen and home theatre system, it's almost as if I am there in concert. This is a must have for any Elvis fan. What is good about this DVD is that it is all rehersal and concert. Gone is the fan and other footage from the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis Thats The Way It Is (Special Edition), Feb. 4 2004
Luke H. (Hermitage, Pa United States) - See all my reviews
Elvis Thats The Way It Is in this Special Edition of the legendary Las Vegas concert shot in 1970. This movie goes in the studio with Elvis and back-stage. I have seen all the live Elvis movies and nothing can compare to this one. This DVD is Restored, remixed, it focuses on a new look at Elvis Presley. The sound is out of this world its way better than the orginal the cameras keep rolling their is not a missed piece of footage. This is a must have for an Elvis Presley fan I enjoyed this and so will you so what are you waiting for go buy this!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis At His Best, Dec 29 2003
I have seen plenty of musical performance documentaries and "That's The Way It Is Special Edition" is far better than any I have ever seen. The picture quality is brilliant and so is the sound. The wide screen edition is magnificient because of the excellent camera work. Each shot looks artistically well done. Because of this wide screen format, you can see Elvis in relation to others very well. The viewer really learns who Elvis is by seeing him first hand singing with his band. This version of the film is a hundred times better than the old one not only because of the better picture and sound but because it also takes a lot of the fluff out like the old interviews by the audience and replaces it with more Elvis never before seen. I would recommend Elvis That's The Way It Is Special Edition to anyone who loves rock n' roll.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis has NOT left the building!, Feb. 14 2004
Ron Wise (Cleveland, MS USA) - See all my reviews
You'll have Elvis in your building every time you play this great restored version of the 1970 classic "Elvis: That's the Way It Is."
First of all, I want to say that film archivist and restorer Rick Schmidin (who restored Orson Welles' "Touch of Evil") did a FANTASTIC job of reworking this film and adding footage from hours of film shot during Elvis' Vegas concerts and not used in the original release. Most of the fan comments were taken out and more Elvis was put back in. The picture and sound are outstanding. The viewer gets to see Elvis in his prime: a lean, mean, rock and roll machine. They don't call the country boy from Tupelo, Mississippi the King of Rock and Roll for nothing.
My only complaint is that Warner Brothers did not do a double-sided disc with the restored version on one side and the original movie on the other.
After recently touring Graceland, I noticed in the "Forever Elvis" museum that they were showing the original version of this movie on the monitors. There I saw many fans expressing their love for the King. Actually, it was quite touching to listen to the comments from young and old and people of all races.
So it's really somewhat sad that the original version of this film was not deemed worthy by Warner Brothers to be included on the DVD. Hopefully, when this film is released again, it will contain the original and the restored version.
Aside from that, the restored verion is great and well worth buying. In fact, put a round table with a red tablecloth in front of your TV, add a few drinks, and pretend you are in Vegas in the summer of 1970 enjoying one heck of an Elvis show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis Presley That’s The Way It Is (blu-ray): high definition treatment of Elvis’s concert, fit for our King! Highly recommended, Aug. 12 2014
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
CONTENT:

This documentary was originally released in 2007. This new blu-ray disc consists of outtakes of the rehearsals, minted from newly found master tapes, followed by the concert itself, also minted from a new master.

From the outtakes of the rehearsals, we got a glimpse into how exact every note is taken in Elvis’s concert. Elvis paid attention to every note of each song. It was funny to see his small microphone attached to the pole actually “wilted” during his singing of “That’s Alright, Mama” during the rehearsal. You also get to see the back-up groups (male: Imperials and female: Sweet Inspirations) performed in a separate room while Elvis was singing in another room. One appreciates how exact every song was performed. It is also nice to see his guitarist James Burton up close. He is one of my favourite guitarists, next to Hank Marvin of the Shadows.

The concert followed continuously after the outtakes. Before the concert, you got a glimpse of many celebrities, such as Juliet Prowse, Cary Grant, Xavier Cugat and his wife Charro. This concert was filmed in July 1970 at the International Hotel in Las Vegas, consisting of performances from 6 different nights. The connections were quite seemless, unless you paid special attention to Elvis’s costume or the amount of sweat on his chest. I have compiled a song listing of the concert which is as follows:

01 That’s Alright, Mama
02 I Got A Woman
03 Hound Dog
04 Heartbreak Hotel
05 Love Me Tender (lots of kisses from Elvis to all the ladies)
06 I Can’t Stop Loving You
07 Just Pretend
08 The Wonder of You
09 In The Ghetto
10 Patch It Up
11 You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’
12 Polk Salad Annie
13 One Night
14 Don’t Be Cruel
15 Blue Suede Shoes
16 All Shook Up
17 You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me
18 Suspicious Minds
19 Can’t Help Falling In Love

Elvis was in top form. (Concert: 5+/5)

VIDEO:

That’s The Way It Is arrives on blu-ray with MPEG-4 AVC @ 20.95 Mpbs 1080p 2.40:1 encode on a BD-25 disc. Shame on you, Warner Brothers for such low bit-rate count and not using a BD-50 disc. The quality of both the outtakes and the concert was actually quite good. Apparently, the outtakes for the DVD were atrocious. I appreciate the use of 2.40:1 so that the entire picture filled my 12-foot wide screen (using anamorphic lens). I also appreciate that subtitles, even for the songs, are included. For old-timer like myself, this is really helpful. But be careful, half of it is outside the picture. Fortunately with my new Oppo-103 BD player, I could adjust the position of the subtitles. The colour was quite saturated. There are quite a bit of details, like the hair on Elvis’s chest. For a video 44 years old, I have no complaint. (4/5)

AUDIO:

That’s The Way It Is arrives on blu-ray with DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio track. The sound is very well remastered. Elvis’s voice is centred, surrounded by James Burton’s guitar on the right front channel, the back-up singers on the right lateral channel, while the string and horn section was on the left. There was very little surround activity. Dialogue is very clear. Every little grunt by Elvis was clearly recorded. It was simply a very well recorded concert. (4/5)

FINAL THOUGHTS:

The entire concert, including outtakes of rehearsals, is totally enjoyable. Finally, we have the high definition treatment of That’s The Way It Is – and it is fit for our King. And the price of $14.99 is definitely right too. Very highly recommended.

Lastly, be careful when you read the reviews. Amazon.ca has the habit of putting old reviews of DVD from 2004 into the blu-ray section. Also, when I typed in the title Elvis Presley That’s the Way It Is – the expensive import 2001 edition blu ray came up. I have to search to find this $14.99 item. Be careful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis That's the Way it is Special Edition, April 26 2003
This review is from: Elvis: That's the Way It Is (VHS Tape)
Fantastic, Super, Dazzling. This 90 minutes of concert and behind the scenic footage is breath taking. It is 1970 and Elvis has a Vegas tour planned, he has finished his movie contract and has been reborn more mature, thanks to his 68 comeback. 'That's the way it is' captures Elvis' charisma, talent and amazing voice, it is totally re-cut and restored by Rick Schmidlin (Greed, Touch of Evil). It is basically split into two parts - off and on stage. The off stage section follows Elvis in the MGM studios and his endearing clowning around through the Vegas warm up and the show itself. And what a show! It shows Elvis at the height of his carer holding the audience spellbound. There is a variety of songs (full list of songs below) incorporating R & B, Blues, Country and of course Rock & Roll. There are touching and spin tingling versions of You've lost that loving feeling and You don't have to say you love me. But naturally all the songs are outstanding. In conclusion I think even if Elvis hadn't had any of his movies, no previous concerts and no fame what so ever, just this - he would still be the King.
The full song list -

That's all right
Little sister/Get back
My baby left me
Crying time
Love me
Twenty days and twenty nights
Bridge over troubled water
Cattle call
Chime bells
Santa Claus is back in town
Mary in the morning
Just pretend
The wonder of you
In the ghetto
Patch it up
You've lost that loving feeling
Polk salad Annie
One night
Don't be cruel
Blue suede shoes
All shook up
You don't have to say you love
Suspicious Minds
Can't help falling in love

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!!, March 6 2003
Superb effort went into this project. The "Special Edition" is in every possible way, a major improvement over the original release.
Digitally restored, the picture is crystal clear and brilliant. The film has also been re-edited from its original format, which contained interviews with talking heads, EP fans and impersonators, and entirely too little of Elvis. Now, "Elvis: That's The Way It Is" contains lots of extra (in fact, nothing but) footage of Elvis rehearsing, performing, and interacting with folks, including many previously deleted scenes and performances that greatly enhance the impact of the film. Why they cut this stuff out the first time is beyond me.
The movie still serves as a Documentary, but basically presents the events of Elvis rehearsing, pre-show jitters, and then the performance (filmed over 6 shows), intended to give viewers the experience of watching the "ultimate Elvis concert."
Did I mention the sound? They actually took the trouble to find the original 16 track reels and have completely digitally remastered it. The sound is fantastic! This is one of those DVDs you could simply put in and LISTEN TOO.
Elvis is at the top of his game - he's in fantastic shape and his vocals and the band sound great. What a performer! What a show! What a Legend.
This DVD does real justice to the King and presents and preserves his musical legacy.

3.0 out of 5 stars The way it is (now), Feb. 15 2003
After the '68 TV special I'd grown curious about the "movie" Elvis again and when this came out was eager to see him in a realistic format instead of the unwatchable '9 songs, 1 fight, Elvis gets the girl' formula with him singing crap like "Do the Clam." If you want to see the "Elvis, That's the Way It Is" that you saw in the movies, this is not it. Unlike some reviewers here, I liked the original better, with more interviews and preparations for the show to go with the stage performance(s). Neither version is up to his efforts on the '68 TV special, especially the separately released "Elvis: One Night With You", my favorite Elvis video performance. In Vegas, Elvis singing "covers" of Paul Simon and Bee Gee's songs told a lot of us that something was amiss...in a way this documents the beginning of the end. Here's The Show before the whole thing went south, with Elvis working his butt off to move in a new way and capture a different audience. If you want to hear him at his best, get the Sun Label CD. If you want to see the original movie with the same title as this one, look elsewhere. If you want to understand why he started Rock & Roll, get "Elvis '56" and "Elvis: One Night With You." And if you are mildly puzzled about why he sings "One Night With You" with a feeling and power the lyrics don't merit, give "One Night Of Sin" on "Reconsider Baby" a listen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised and astonished!, Jan. 8 2003
I have been an Elvis Presley fan since I was 6 years old. I was only 6 1/2 months old when he passed away. I'm not really sure how it all began, but what I do remember is being very young and seeing this man on TV in a white jumpsuit with a fringy belt dancing and singing. There was something about him that absolutely mesmerized me, even at that age. I realize now that what I was seeing was some part of the original That's The Way It Is film. Now, at 25, I have seen that film dozens and dozens of times and as I got older I would fast-forward through the creepy fan interviews, hotel preparations for the show, and other things just so I could get to the music.
When I first decided to view the New Edition I really didn't know what to expect. I had heard that they cut back on the interviews and added some new things. I really wasn't expecting my viewing experience to be any different than it was with the original version. I can honestly say that I was astonished, in a good way. Not only was I extremely glad that they cut out everything that didn't have to do with the music I was excited that they added additional rehearsal footage. I had become so used to seeing the original that I never truly realized just HOW fantastic he was. I felt an excitement that I never felt with the original, a joy that now, finally, THIS is how he was meant to be seen. I can't even begin to tell you how many Elvis videos, cassettes, and tapes I own, that when I view or listen to them there are no surprises for me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them but nothing ever struck me as being very different among them. Plus, with an almost constant repetition of listening and viewings you always forget how great some of it was.
This new edition totally changed that. In all my 19 years of loving him I have NEVER seen him in this way. I kid you not, I almost felt like I was THERE. I felt the urge to scream, laugh, cry, clap, you name it. I am really, really pleased at this new restoration. I have seen many reviews now saying that people who could care less about Elvis or were never fans became, after viewing this, people who WERE fans.
It is a shame that most people now, when you mention Elvis, automatically think of spangled jumpsuits and heavy weight. This is all they associate with Elvis when you mention the 1970's. How wrong they are. Elvis was at the TOP in this film. Thin as a rake, gorgeous, handsome, sexy, he's got the moves, his voice is at the absolute height of his ability here. If you want to talk about charisma, this man had it, people. It's there in the rehearsal footage and it's there in BUCKETS in the concert footage.
I could go on and on but I think by this point you understand what I'm saying. THIS IS A MUST-SEE!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the way it should have been, Dec 15 2002
Anthony Nasti "Tony" (Staten Island, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elvis: That's the Way It Is (VHS Tape)
This newly released video of Elvis's 1970 concert film "That's The Way It Is" is better than the original, which was overshadowed by 2 many interviews. This tape focuses on just the
music.
It kciks off with Elvis rehearsing for his second season in Las Vegas, where he staged a successful comeback to live performing a year before. This segment features Elvis playing around with his band. In one scene, Elvis sings "That's All Right", and the microphone falls off the stand, and he continues to sing. Rehearsing for the tour meant for Elvis that he didn't need to be serious. The concert, however, is serious. It kicks off with a torid "That's All Right", then culminates with a heartbreaking "Can't Help Falling In Love". Also included are stellar performances of "Hound Dog", "The Wonder Of You", "Love Me Tender", "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin" and "Polk Salad Annie". That's the way it is is the way it should have been in the first place.

Elvis: That's the Way It Is
Elvis: That's the Way It Is by Denis Sanders (VHS Tape - 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 10.95