5.0 out of 5 stars Peter and Bob, still kicking it after all these years
Published on Nov. 17 2001 by L. Brady

3.0 out of 5 stars Hate to go against the grain
First of all, I will admit that I am not a particular Peter Frampton fan so my opinion my be biased.
Published on Aug. 4 2000 by David Fletcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter and Bob, still kicking it after all these years, Nov. 17 2001
L. Brady (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit 1999 (DVD)
When I bought this DVD, I had just set up my Sony 5.1 DTS system. I had no idea I would be transported back to 1976...the only noticeable difference is that Peter Frampton plays and sings better than ever. Bob Mayo is simply astounding on keys, guitar and vocals. There is a seamless comradery between these guys that is a pure delight to watch, not to mention that they are without a doubt the tightest, most polished sounding foursome out there today. The sound quality of this DVD is better than any other Concert DVD I own, James Taylor Live at the Beacon, a close second. One of Peter's many strengths has always been drawing a crowd into an experience and making them feel a part of his world. Forget the hair, he looks better than ever (laid-back and on fire all at the same time) and he's proven to this viewer/listener that he's never been more alive than he is today! A must-have for any guitar lover (worth buying a DVD player to see). My personal faves: "Lines on My Face," "Can't Take That Away," Don't Need No Doctor," and "Money."

5.0 out of 5 stars Frampton at his best since (Comes Alive), Aug. 11 2000
M. B Evans "Fusionman" (Madison, Mississippi United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit 1999 (DVD)
I have to confess, when I first watched this dvd, tears came to my eyes. I dont know why, I guess it moved me that much. I have been a Frampton fan since I heard Comes Alive back in 76. This dvd is GREAT. The picture quality is superb, the sound is supurb, and just the way the whole thing was put together is totally awesome. Frampton is playing in Detroit at the Pine Knob Ampitheater, in front of a packed house. The crowd enthuasium is very high, and Frampton gets it up even higher. He plays all his old hits like, Baby I love Your Way, Show Me The Way, Do You Feel Like We Do, and some other old stuff, as well as some newer stuff. I must say, that he has not lost it. He still has that distinguishable guitar sound and voice that we as Peter Frampton fans love. If you close your eyes while you have this dvd playing, you could almost swear that it was 1976 all over again. People, this dvd is really that good. I highly recommend it to Frampton fans(A MUST HAVE) and music lovers everywhere....

3.0 out of 5 stars Hate to go against the grain, Aug. 4 2000
David Fletcher "Fletch" (Knoxville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit 1999 (DVD)
I would have to say that it does sound very similar to a lot of live concerts that I have been to, I had difilculty understanding what the artist was singing. It occurred to me when I heard Peter speaking that there was significant reverberation going on. I then noticed two microphones attached to the mic boom which confirmed to me that reverbeeration was intended to, I assume, mask a lacking singing voice. Granted, he is an exceptional guitarist and the insturmental portions of the disc are excellent. Speaking of excellent, I would agree that the video portion was also top notch with the exception of some over exposure here and there.
In my opinion if you are seeking a music concert disc that rates 5 stars in both image and sound you should purchase James Taylor, Live at the Beacon Theater or Eagles When Hell Freezes Over. Tina Turner - Live in Amsterdam is another excellent choice but not quite to the level of the other two.

5.0 out of 5 stars My FAVORITE DVD! I LOVE it !, June 5 2000
Leslie Chacon (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit 1999 (DVD)
This DVD knocked my socks off! I was one of the people who attended this concert, and I had a great time at that concert, and I have to say that the DVD experience is even BETTER! Its better because the cameras bring you up close to where the action is, close to all the members of the band, shot from different cool angles, and sometimes so close that you can see very clearly Peter Frampton and the band members' fingerings on their instruments and such! Freeze framing on the shots is great too! Its a fun activity just by itself! The sound is SUPERB and the picture quality is so sharp, talk about definition! Its definition city! I was impressed with the sense of depth and texture in the picture too.. you feel that you can almost reach out and touch the players at times. The songs...so wonderful to listen to, oh man... I'll bet you that if you buy this and watch it, you will be singing along to the songs in no time... they are contagious! This is a powerful DVD.. full of positive energy. I HIGHLY reccomend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars ROCK YOUR HOUSE DOWN!!!!!!, June 1 2001
Neal Roylance (WATERFORD, NY U.S.A) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit 1999 (DVD)
BOUGHT THIS DVD WITHOUT EVEN OWNING A PLAYER. I TAKE IT EVERY WHERE THERE MAY BE A CROWD AND THE RESPONSE IS THE SAME. "WHO IS THIS GUY AND WHERE CAN I GET THIS CONCERT?" PETER FRAMPTON WAS MY VERY FIRST CONCERT AS A SIXTEEN YEAR OLD. SAW HIM AGAIN LIVE ON HIS "BREAK'N ALL OF THE RULES" TOUR IN THE EARLY NINTIES. THIS MASTERPIECE BROUGHT EVERYTHING FRAMPTON IS ABOUT RIGHT INTO MY LIVING ROOM AS WELL AS MANY OTHERS. I HAVE NEVER THOUGHT THAT THIS SINGLE PERFORMANCE WOULD BRING SO MANY PEOPLE TOGETHER AS KIDS IN THEIR EARLY TEENS AND ADULTS IN THEIR FIFTIES HIGH FIVED TO FRAMPTON AND HIS STYLE OF MUSIC AND HIS GUITAR HERO STATUS. THE GREATEST QUOTE I'VE HEARD IN A LONG TIME WAS FROM SOMEONE IN THEIR EARLY TWENTIES PROCLAIM, "IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL FOR GUYS THAT OLD TO ROCK THAT HARD!!!!"IF YOU LIKE PETER FRAMPTON, BUY THIS DVD AND SHARE IT WITH FRIENDS AND STRANGERS ALIKE! HISTORY IS REPEATING IT SELF. " FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE AGAIN!!!"

5.0 out of 5 stars ROCK YOUR HOUSE DOWN!!!!!!, June 1 2001
Neal Roylance (WATERFORD, NY U.S.A) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I got totally blown away !, May 20 2000
Noel Sazias (Hilversum, (NH) Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit 1999 (DVD)
As a long time Peter Frampton fan, I waited for this day,when this DVD fell on my doormat. I ran upstairs to check out this DVD on my brand new Yamaha DSP-AX1 Amplifier......I was very curious how this concert would sound in DTS format.... I could not believe my ears ! I have a lot of DTS concerts like "Hell freezes over" from The Eagles, and Tina Turner "Live in Amsterdam", but this really sets the standard ! I know that Peter Frampton is a sound freak, and loves gatgets, so I wasn't surprised that this DVD would sound extraordinary. Apart from that, he still rocks like never before. The boys are jamming away as if their lives depend on it. Boy oh boy, did I enjoy this DVD. I'm so glad that I can watch this DVD over and over again, without losing quality, and I will tell you one thing, I'm going to watch this over, and over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why God invented DTS!, June 24 2000
This review is from: Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit 1999 (DVD)
Well, maybe someone else actually invented it, but Frampton certainly makes the best use of this format on this marvelous DVD. For those contemplating whether spending the extra money for a receiver capable of decoding the DTS format, bring this DVD to your local audio/video store and tell them to show you the difference. These songs really come alive.
I spoke with drummer Chad Cromwell at one of their recent concerts, and he suggests watching it on a high definition TV as well. Either way, you will find the music incredible on this fabulous DVD. You can tell that after twenty five years, they not only still enjoy playing these songs but they have perfected them.
While the Eagles DVD led the way and Steely Dan has followed suit, the production of this DVD is the KING of the live concert DTS DVD. Buy it and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Frampton is alive and well!, June 13 2000
This review is from: Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit 1999 (DVD)
This is a really great DVD! You need not be a diehard Frampton fan to enjoy this show. Peter Frampton shows that his guitar skills are not only still very much intact, but have in fact improved over the years. The same is true of Frampton's longtime keyboardist/guitarist, Bob Mayo, who played on the classic, multi-platinum "Frampton Comes Alive" album from the mid-seventies. The rhythm section is also very solid and the band is altogether in very good form from start to finish. Both audience and band obviously enjoyed this show very much and DVD viewers will enjoy it as well.
The sound and video quality is also excellent, hence giving you the feeling that you are practically there with the rest of the fans who packed the Pine Knob amphitheater in Detroit on Saturday July 17th, 1999. Sit back and enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD, but where's the Center Channel??, Nov. 8 2000
This review is from: Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit 1999 (DVD)
Am I the only one who has noticed that there's virtually no sound coming out of the center channel on this DVD? The dts sound quality is fine (though lacking some definition in the high frequencies, in my opinion), BUT -- where's the sound from the center channel? I compared this DVD with several others (Eagles "Hell Freezes Over", etc) to make sure the problem wasn't with my stereo. It wasn't. Don Henley's voice sounded loud and clear on my center speaker, but Peter Frampton's voice (or any other sound, for that matter) from this DVD are nowhere to be found on the center speaker. I agree that the picture quality is superb, and Peter's musicianship is terrific, but the lack of center channel sound REALLY bothers me. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I going crazy here??

Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit 1999
Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit 1999 by DVD Music (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 39.99 CDN$ 39.95