4.0 out of 5 stars Great, BUT not better than Transformers the movie
This is the SECOND greatest animated movie made in America.
The opening 10 minutes is so amazing!!!! The camera moves smoothly through a fighting sequence without cutting to another camera angle. And that was created without the use of high tech computer special effects that is used in current cartoons.
I love this G.I. Joe movie, but the title of "Greatest...
Published on June 11 2004 by Tim

3.0 out of 5 stars Is my 80s-ness showing?
Published on March 18 2004 by Zagnorch

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, BUT not better than Transformers the movie, June 11 2004
Tim (NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
This is the SECOND greatest animated movie made in America.
I love this G.I. Joe movie, but the title of "Greatest American Animated Movie" best belongs to Transformer the movie. Buy that and this together!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Is my 80s-ness showing?, March 18 2004
Zagnorch (Terra, Sol System) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
Although I enjoyed the TransFormers toys much more than their fellow 80s Hasbro phenomenon G.I. Joe®-- 'cuz cars that can change into robots and back are way cooler than a buncha dumb ol' action figures any day of the week-- I found the Joe cartoon show just as entertaining, and not quite as hokey as the adventures of Optimus & Co. In fact, just the other day I had acquired one of those TransFormers Alternators thingies (read all about my misadventures with this new acquisition in the reviews section at www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000XO8DW/qid=1079586717/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-0457490-8406223?v=glance&s=toys), and I watched G.I. Joe The Movie whilst I attempted to convert my new plaything into robot mode... without referrin' to the instruction sheet (which is something we TransFans of the macho persuasion do, 'natch). I hadn't seen it in quite some time, although I still remembered a few moments back when I had first caught it on the local indie channel. Such moments as Tunnel Rat bustin' out of the side of some worm-creature that had just swallowed him moments earlier, and the new head heavy (Golobulus, voiced by a guy who starred in the REAL story of G.I. Joe several decades prior) gettin' stabbed in his big ol' eyeball (the actual act was depicted from a distance, so it wasn't too gory). Yeah, yeah, I know-- "why do you only remember the movie's more disgusting scenes?" you're askin' yourself. What, did'ja think I was gonna fondly recall the cohesive plot, the plausible story line, and the Oscar-worthy performances? Gimme a freakin' break!
Anyhoo, I found myself geekin big-time to the opening credits sequence (sans credits) featuring the Joes defending the Statue of Liberty against a Cobra assault. If you've never seen the series this mo-pic was based on, this moment alone is a wonderful showcase of the show's most notable idiosyncrasies, including lotsa explosions & destruction, near-misses, brief fist fights, and some spectacular property damage... with nary a fatality in sight. Kinda like 'The A-Team', only with slightly more believable storylines and characters. Throw in appearances by just about all the notable Joe & Cobra characters (three-fourths of whom either won't show up again for the rest of the movie or have brief non-speaking appearances), the usual dumb plot by Cobra Commander to 'send a message' to his foes (an attempt to blow up the Statue of Liberty) whilst going way overboard on the use of equipment and personnel to convey this message, and a good @$$-kickin' on the enemy by our heroes. Top it all off with a corny yet oddly catchy extended rendition of the G.I. Joe theme song that plays throughout this skirmish, and you've got the basic format of just about every 'Joe 'toon ever made. Weird thing is, I could watch just this scene alone several times in a row without tirin' of it... and I usually do. Sometimes without even bothering to watch the rest of the show...
While I found G.I. Joe: The Movie's animation quite good (though not quite up to the level of the TransFormers flick), and the plot pretty decent for all its silly cartoon cheesiness (gaping plot holes, unbelievable escapes, blatant disregard for the laws of physics, etc), there were a few characters that hit the red zone of my annoy-o-meter. Take Sgt. Slaughter, for example: here he proved that, as loud and obnoxious as he was when he was doin' his pre-match interviews for the WWF, he's even LOUDER and MORE OBNOXIOUS whilst voicing his animated persona, known as... er, Sgt. Slaughter. Okay, so his role here wasn't much of a stretch-- big whoop. Fortunately, he gets a few finishing moves in on one of the Cobra-La bad@$$es near the end, which looked more realistic than the ones he had in his live-action repertoire. Another pesty denizen of this notable 'toon-flick is the b-ball-jerseyed Big Lob, whose play-by-play banter made me long for the gushings of the original March Madman Dick Vitale.
Also included amongst this action epic is the unmasking of Cobra Commander after he gets hit with some mutated spores that gradually turn him into a (surprise!) snake. Sadly, I found this moment a bit of a letdown; in my opinion, they should'a kept the devious former Cobra leader's facial appearance a secret. I mean, ya never saw what Snake Eyes, Orko, or Dr. Claw looked like underneath their disguises, didja? Oh wait, they put out an action figure of Dr. Claw some time back that revealed his countenance (www.midnightsociety.com/web/Finds/Shopping/Drclaw/DrClaw.html), didn't they? Eh, strike that last one, then...
But for all the silliness that goes on in the movie, the most amusing part of this DVD is the selection of those immortal public service announcements that popped up just before closing credits roll in each episode to help assuage parents' concerns about the show bein' not much more than a half-hour-long toy commercial (yeah, RIGHT...). Speakin' of commercials, this DVD also features a couple classic G.I. Joe toy ads from the 60s, both of which I found kinda neat despite their relatively primitive look. But, back to the PSAs: each one features one of the Joes layin' down such wisdom to the kiddies as keepin' away from downed power lines, not approaching stray dogs, and bein' sure to plan ahead, all in quick & easy to digest clips. The ending line that graces each one of these PSAs is the reason why your mid-twenty-something-to-early-thirty-something co-worker always replies, "And knowing is half the battle!" every time you say "I know", or some variation thereof. 'Course, bein' the inquisitive type I was, every time I heard this phrase I'd immediately start wonderin' what the OTHER half of the battle was. I'd also be wonderin' why the G.I. Joe tag line is "A real American hero" when the toys were made in China and the movie's animation was done in Japan. I guess I'm just a stickler for irony...
'Late

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE, April 30 2004
Paul Schifferli (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
This movie is without a doubt the best movie ever made. A perfect ending to the perfect cartoon series. It also introduced the awesome villains of Cobra-La, especially Golobulus ( played by Burgess Meredith). Also, this movie shows you the origin of Cobra Commander and what he really looks like behind that mask. Anyone who enjoys GOOD stories or G.I. Joe or even just 80's cartoons will love this

3.0 out of 5 stars HTE BEST PART OF THE MOVIE WAS THE OPENING SEQUENCE, April 22 2003
DESTRO ATTACKS (loDIE, new joisey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
it's true, i was in awe when i saw the spectacular openenr with a new version of gi joe's theme "he never gives up, he'll never say die.." spencer michlen and ford kindler (songwriters) deserves high praise as well as the japanese animators of the movie, the opener rivaled alot of anime series. but the movie went downhill from here.. why you ask?/ well let's see....
1.) COBRA-LA / WTF the cobra i knew and loved/loathed was founded by cobra commander, not by some reptile civilization!!
2.)which brings me to ask whose idea was it to turn cobra commander from a reptile humanoid to a snake..in the comics C.C. was human!!
3.) BIG LOB (can we say "stereotype"?)
4.)Duke getting "killed" only to fall into a "coma"
"holy optimus prime batman"!
5.)SGT. SLAUGHTER i know joe was a far fetched cartoon, but how could any human without super powers take on a mutant (NEMISES ENFORCER) who is strong enough to hurl tanks??
6.)Serpentor didn't get his just desserts in the end, but cobra-la is destroyed.."whoo-hoo"!
7.) vintage g.i.joe commercials more like your daddy's g.i.joe and not the lil 3 inch figures we all know and adore, at least i still have the original comic commercials. ;0P
8.) Boring PSAs i rather see the cast/creators getting interview like some retrospective.
9.)the biggest heartbreak was after this disapointing movie the series wasn't picked up for a 3rd season (BATTLEFORCE 2000 wouldv'e been soo cool)
oh well can't win them all even if you stayed till the fight is won.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginning, Great Cast, Not-So-Great Execution, March 15 2003
John Nolley II (Fairfax, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
G.I. Joe was one of the best cartoons of the 80's. Of course a marketing gimmick designed to sell toys, the cartoon still gave many children hours of entertainment and public service messages of questionable content (every one of the latter of which are included on the DVD).
Surely at some point both G.I. Joe and the other marketing mega-success of Transformers would make the transition to the big screen. Yet a lukewarm reception for Transformers the Movie (originally due to be the second of the two films) drove G.I. Joe to the direct-to-video channel.
Immediately at the beginning of the film, it's apparent that the movie isn't the television show, taking a larger and darker image fit for the big screen. No longer do parachutes deploy from every plane [coming] down, and people do seem to [be eliminated]. Duke had been written off in the script, but the death of Optimus Prime and its poor audience screening changed that to a coma inflicted by Serpentor's poisoned snake arrow a la Conan the Barbarian.
The first few minutes are by far the best of the film, and had the writers kept to that level for the entire picture, their efforts may very well have resulted in the greatest television adapation ever! Yet soon we meet a race of powerful mutants--Cobra-La (whose name was supposed to be changed for filming until the writers forgot!)--who had provided Cobra Commander the inspiration and decree to conquer the world--and given him the reason to wear his mask.
Cobra-La's goal is mutate the entire population of earth through spores; in the end, of course, G.I. Joe saves the day, although their efforts, trials, and tribulations take on the larger scope of a cinematic piece than the television show.
The film is voiced by talents from Don Johnson to Burgess Meredith to wrestling's Sgt. Slaughter, but in the end Cobra-La is too silly a concept to make for a truly satisfying film. G.I. Joe fans will still want to see the movie, and most kids will still enjoy it if they are familiar with any of the characters or toys. I just can't give it 5 stars for those faults.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm...., March 1 2003
"hardcorekingpin" (Garland, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
GI Joe the Movie is kinda like Transformers the Movie was....you end up with mixed feelings about it.
Luckily, unlike Transformers, GI Joe the Movie doesn't kill off main characters. Duke was originally killed, but they redubbed it to just have him badly hurt after the backlash from killing off Optimus Prime in the Transformers movie.
I dislike the plot, as this was the period of time that saw GI Joe start to abandon the military style plotlines and pick up on some really weird stuff. Cobra-La is a total waste, and simply doesn't fit into the GI Joe series well at all. I also totally hate how Cobra Commander turns out to be some sort of mutant under that mask, as I always liked the idea that he was just another faceless terrorist that could have been anyone. I think GI Joe really screwed up here.
A lot of new characters are introduced, though, and many classic ones are shown frequently. Just about every one created by this point appears somewhere in the film.
Interesting note: GI Joe the Movie was originally slated for theatrical release, but never made it out. It was released straight to video in 1987 and shown on TV as a mini series.
The quality of the picture and sound is excellent.
As for the special features, for once, Rhino gets it right. 25 of the original Public Service Announcements that aired at the end of the daily cartoon series are included. Everyone remembers the "Now I know....and knowing is half the battle" line. These are super cheesy, and hilarious to watch in rapid fire succession like this. Worth the purchase just to see these, honestly.
The special features also include movie trailers, though they are not for this movie, but rather for the mini-series that aired in 1984 and 1984 before the cartoon went into a regular daily series. Still neat to see, though. There are also toy commercials, but they are for the original toy from decades ago, and seem very, very out of place here. They needed to include commercials for the generation of GI Joe toys that appear in the rest of the DVD.
Overall, the price is right for this one, and it's worth owning if you are a GI Joe fan. Yeah, you have to put up with Cobra-La and Serpentor, but that's a small price to pay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cobra-Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalala!!!, July 9 2002
cousinpaco (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
The mid-1980s saw a plethora of films based on popular toy lines: Masters of the Universe, Transformers, Rainbow Brite. Even the Pound Puppies met the legendary Big Paw.
The best of these movies was never even released theatrically, but is a real American blockbuster, nonetheless.
From the rousing opening fanfare, "G.I. Joe - the Movie" is non-stop entertainment. The Joe team faces its biggest threat ever, when mysterious forces reveal themselves during a Himalayan battle. The Lovecraftian society
called Cobra-La has hidden itself in the windswept mountains for countless ages, plotting its revenge against humanity. All along, Cobra-La has been pulling the strings of the terrorist organization G.I. Joe was created to fight!
Plot-twists abound, and the incredible animation made me feel like I was right in the middle of the conflagration....short)
My only complaint is that the arctic setting excluded my favorite Joe character, Shipwreck. His salty sarcasm would have added a fine touch of humor to the horrors the team faces at the hands of Cobra-La.
Obviously, I love "G.I. Joe - the Movie." I was thrilled when the DVD came out, and give it my highest recommendation. I know you'll like it, and knowing is half the battle!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but not worthy of the criticism it gets, either, June 26 2002
Garrett Aja (North Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
Bashing G.I. Joe: The Movie has become something of a cottage industry for fans of the toys-so much so that Devil's Due (publishers of the current comic book series) is contemplating it's own "tribute" to the notorious finale of the Sunbow run of G.I. Joe. The question before buying the DVD is whether or not you think it's terrible or a classic.
Simply put, the film is neither. The plot, which in keeping with the fantastic nature of the series (wherein the Joes have met the ancient Egyptian gods and allied themselves with ghosts, to name just two episodes) reveals that Cobra Commander is a member of an ancient race of snake-people known as Cobra-La. Problem is, Golobulus (ruler of Cobra-La) has become fed up with Cobra's repeated losses to the Joes, and has now decided to take a more active role in Cobra's quest to rule the world.
Cobra Commander's real identity is the main problem people have with the movie, even if it fits in with what little we know about the Commander (except for his interview with Hector Ramirez in the episode "Twenty Questions", but should we really expect the Commander to tell the truth?). His de-evolution into a snake upsets people even further, even if Sunbow's intention all the time was to bring him back in the series third season (which was never produced).
But that isn't the real flaw of this movie. The flaw is that, at Hasbro's behest, most of the existing characters (even those that had been introduced during the second season) are ignored in favor of the Rawhides, Renegades, and Cobra-La. Of the original cast, only Duke (who was originally intended to die) and Cobra Commander get significant screen time, and the other existing characters with major screen time (Hawk, Beachhead, Sgt. Slaughter, Roadblock, and Serpentor) were mostly newer characters. Like Transformers: The Movie, Hasbro decided to overexert their influence over Sunbow, at the expense of the story.
This DVD edition includes all of the "....And Knowing is Half the Battle" PSAs produced for the 1985-86 season (the first season); two ads for the original "A Real American Hero" miniseries (known popularly as The MASS Device), which are quite odd without the station IDs that each station syndicating the miniseries added at the end; and an ancient ad for the 12" G.I. Joe dolls; the last feature meaning absolutely nothing to about 95% of the people who watched the cartoon in the 1980s.
If you want realism in G.I. Joe, don't buy this movie. In fact, don't even bother with the cartoon-just go and buy Larry Hama's comic (which has a completely different storyline than the cartoon). For everyone else, be prepared to enjoy a decent movie, but remember that the story wasn't finished with G.I. Joe: The Movie-it just never got produced by Sunbow Productions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Caution: Bad Taste ... for buffs only, March 26 2002
Timothy Hulsey (Charlottesville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
After _Transformers: The Movie_ tanked at the box office, the production team behind it consigned its other theatrical feature, _GI Joe: The Movie_, to video oblivion. Although I'm sure this film has been shown in theaters (usually as a children's morning matinee), I don't believe it has ever enjoyed an actual theatrical release. This goes to prove that there is some justice in the world.
The wild plot about a group of reptilian terrorists out to destroy the entire human race was silly and farfetched in 1987. It also rewrote the entire back story of the _GI Joe_ TV series, which infuriated many fans. Now, in the wake of a genuine national tragedy, this film seems more tasteless and exploitative than ever. I couldn't honestly recommend it even to die-hard fans -- though I have to admit a personal weakness for the opening scene, ...
The DVD package is very good, as you'd expect from Rhino Video. Extras include some nice menus, assorted trailers and commercials, and 25 _GI Joe_ public service announcements, all of which are pleasantly goofy fun for children of the '80s.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Patriotic DVD, Oct. 2 2001
"canuckspe" (Kettering, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
"G.I. Joe - The Movie" is a great film that along with "The Transformers - The Movie" really rekindles the memories of the days of my youth. I played with all the toys and watched the cartoon everyday after school. This was the ultimate pro-U.S.A. cartoon of the 80's (and pretty much of all-time) and it finally makes its triumphant debut on DVD.

Though the movie introduces fun, new characters like Lt. Falcon and the Roughnecks, I would have preferred it if more time was spent on the "old guard". Duke, Scarlet, Flint, Lady Jaye, and especially Snake Eyes are sorely underutilized. On the Cobra side, Destro, the Baroness, and others get a little more screen time but pretty much have to bow to the presence of the new villains. Still, this a terrific movie with much better sound quality. The graphics are re-mastered but are basically the same as the television show.

The premise is that the G.I. Joe team is sent out to protect a new device that could provide the world with an unlimited source of energy. Of course, Cobra Commander and the rest of his evil regime have better plans for this...namely world domination. After the Joe's beat down Cobra for the umpteenth time, Emperor Serpentor is about to finally give CC the boot. He is stopped when a race of snake-like creatures appears and informs all that they are the real rulers of Cobra...and the Earth. Then the battles begin, with Cobra getting the upper hand throughout much of the film.

The new Cobra wants to gain control of the energy device to heat space spores in Earth's orbit, which upon gestation, will turn every human on Earth into a drooling slave. I know it sounds weird but I suppose they had to do something "different" to separate themselves from the series. Finally, Lt. Falcon (Duke's half brother as it turns out) leads a group of rag-tag Joe's to save the day, thus closing the book on one of the best cartoons of my childhood.

So overall, a fine film with a fun, if a little weird plot. This DVD comes complete with two trailers, vintage toy commercials, and the best part of the whole thing...classic G.J. Joe PSAs! There are about 25 of the "Knowing is half the battle" vignettes that I know are trying to be serious, but still make me crack up. (Remember not to pet strange dogs!)

Do yourself a favor and get this DVD. If not for you, than for your kids who should get a kick out of the outdated graphics and stories that their parents used to think were cool.

G.I. Joe:the Movie
G.I. Joe:the Movie by Don Jurwich (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 54.99