4.0 out of 5 stars Great, BUT not better than Transformers the movie
This is the SECOND greatest animated movie made in America.
The opening 10 minutes is so amazing!!!! The camera moves smoothly through a fighting sequence without cutting to another camera angle. And that was created without the use of high tech computer special effects that is used in current cartoons.
I love this G.I. Joe movie, but the title of "Greatest...
Published on June 11 2004 by Tim

3.0 out of 5 stars Is my 80s-ness showing?
Published on March 18 2004 by Zagnorch

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, BUT not better than Transformers the movie, June 11 2004
Tim (NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
This is the SECOND greatest animated movie made in America.
I love this G.I. Joe movie, but the title of "Greatest American Animated Movie" best belongs to Transformer the movie. Buy that and this together!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, stupid movie, Aug. 28 2013
Steven (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I.Joe - The Movie (DVD)
Ugh, this is worse than any episode on Series 1 and EVEN Series 2! I never got to see this as a kid, and I guess that I didn't miss much!

No complaints on the transfer or menus, etc, though!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE, April 30 2004
Paul Schifferli (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
This movie is without a doubt the best movie ever made. A perfect ending to the perfect cartoon series. It also introduced the awesome villains of Cobra-La, especially Golobulus ( played by Burgess Meredith). Also, this movie shows you the origin of Cobra Commander and what he really looks like behind that mask. Anyone who enjoys GOOD stories or G.I. Joe or even just 80's cartoons will love this

3.0 out of 5 stars Is my 80s-ness showing?, March 18 2004
Zagnorch (Terra, Sol System) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
Although I enjoyed the TransFormers toys much more than their fellow 80s Hasbro phenomenon G.I. Joe®-- 'cuz cars that can change into robots and back are way cooler than a buncha dumb ol' action figures any day of the week-- I found the Joe cartoon show just as entertaining, and not quite as hokey as the adventures of Optimus & Co. In fact, just the other day I had acquired one of those TransFormers Alternators thingies (read all about my misadventures with this new acquisition in the reviews section at www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000XO8DW/qid=1079586717/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-0457490-8406223?v=glance&s=toys), and I watched G.I. Joe The Movie whilst I attempted to convert my new plaything into robot mode... without referrin' to the instruction sheet (which is something we TransFans of the macho persuasion do, 'natch). I hadn't seen it in quite some time, although I still remembered a few moments back when I had first caught it on the local indie channel. Such moments as Tunnel Rat bustin' out of the side of some worm-creature that had just swallowed him moments earlier, and the new head heavy (Golobulus, voiced by a guy who starred in the REAL story of G.I. Joe several decades prior) gettin' stabbed in his big ol' eyeball (the actual act was depicted from a distance, so it wasn't too gory). Yeah, yeah, I know-- "why do you only remember the movie's more disgusting scenes?" you're askin' yourself. What, did'ja think I was gonna fondly recall the cohesive plot, the plausible story line, and the Oscar-worthy performances? Gimme a freakin' break!
Anyhoo, I found myself geekin big-time to the opening credits sequence (sans credits) featuring the Joes defending the Statue of Liberty against a Cobra assault. If you've never seen the series this mo-pic was based on, this moment alone is a wonderful showcase of the show's most notable idiosyncrasies, including lotsa explosions & destruction, near-misses, brief fist fights, and some spectacular property damage... with nary a fatality in sight. Kinda like 'The A-Team', only with slightly more believable storylines and characters. Throw in appearances by just about all the notable Joe & Cobra characters (three-fourths of whom either won't show up again for the rest of the movie or have brief non-speaking appearances), the usual dumb plot by Cobra Commander to 'send a message' to his foes (an attempt to blow up the Statue of Liberty) whilst going way overboard on the use of equipment and personnel to convey this message, and a good @$$-kickin' on the enemy by our heroes. Top it all off with a corny yet oddly catchy extended rendition of the G.I. Joe theme song that plays throughout this skirmish, and you've got the basic format of just about every 'Joe 'toon ever made. Weird thing is, I could watch just this scene alone several times in a row without tirin' of it... and I usually do. Sometimes without even bothering to watch the rest of the show...
While I found G.I. Joe: The Movie's animation quite good (though not quite up to the level of the TransFormers flick), and the plot pretty decent for all its silly cartoon cheesiness (gaping plot holes, unbelievable escapes, blatant disregard for the laws of physics, etc), there were a few characters that hit the red zone of my annoy-o-meter. Take Sgt. Slaughter, for example: here he proved that, as loud and obnoxious as he was when he was doin' his pre-match interviews for the WWF, he's even LOUDER and MORE OBNOXIOUS whilst voicing his animated persona, known as... er, Sgt. Slaughter. Okay, so his role here wasn't much of a stretch-- big whoop. Fortunately, he gets a few finishing moves in on one of the Cobra-La bad@$$es near the end, which looked more realistic than the ones he had in his live-action repertoire. Another pesty denizen of this notable 'toon-flick is the b-ball-jerseyed Big Lob, whose play-by-play banter made me long for the gushings of the original March Madman Dick Vitale.
Also included amongst this action epic is the unmasking of Cobra Commander after he gets hit with some mutated spores that gradually turn him into a (surprise!) snake. Sadly, I found this moment a bit of a letdown; in my opinion, they should'a kept the devious former Cobra leader's facial appearance a secret. I mean, ya never saw what Snake Eyes, Orko, or Dr. Claw looked like underneath their disguises, didja? Oh wait, they put out an action figure of Dr. Claw some time back that revealed his countenance (www.midnightsociety.com/web/Finds/Shopping/Drclaw/DrClaw.html), didn't they? Eh, strike that last one, then...
But for all the silliness that goes on in the movie, the most amusing part of this DVD is the selection of those immortal public service announcements that popped up just before closing credits roll in each episode to help assuage parents' concerns about the show bein' not much more than a half-hour-long toy commercial (yeah, RIGHT...). Speakin' of commercials, this DVD also features a couple classic G.I. Joe toy ads from the 60s, both of which I found kinda neat despite their relatively primitive look. But, back to the PSAs: each one features one of the Joes layin' down such wisdom to the kiddies as keepin' away from downed power lines, not approaching stray dogs, and bein' sure to plan ahead, all in quick & easy to digest clips. The ending line that graces each one of these PSAs is the reason why your mid-twenty-something-to-early-thirty-something co-worker always replies, "And knowing is half the battle!" every time you say "I know", or some variation thereof. 'Course, bein' the inquisitive type I was, every time I heard this phrase I'd immediately start wonderin' what the OTHER half of the battle was. I'd also be wonderin' why the G.I. Joe tag line is "A real American hero" when the toys were made in China and the movie's animation was done in Japan. I guess I'm just a stickler for irony...
'Late

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start, but could have been better, March 22 2014
The story starts off great but I a little weak with the end. I did not like way Cobra Commander came to his end. But like all GIJoe, lots of action 80s style.

1.0 out of 5 stars dose not work, March 12 2014
dose not work in any DVD player tried 4 of them dose not read it at all . so looking foreword to watching this to

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not great, June 21 2004
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
This movie was good, but i was disappointed. that whole cobra la thing just ruined the movie. they could've done much better. i think they just got extremely lazy with the movie. this movie is probably what sealed the fate of G.I. Joe. I felt really bad for cobra commander. i mean, REALLY REALLY bad. It did introduce some new characters but got rid of some old ones. so i give it 3 out of 5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lights! Camera! Cobra!, May 21 2004
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
An enjoyable movie, with an interesting orgin of Cobra. Finally, we sort of get a glimpse of what Cobra Commander looked like under his hood. I felt sorry for the Commander when he was turned into a snake. I wished there were more extras, such as a short look behind the scenes. Got to love those PSAs! "And knowing is half the battle!" I find it highly amusing that Burgess Meredith (who voiced Golobulus), also starred in the 1945 live action movie called "The Story of G.I. Joe"! Is that an odd coincedence? I eagerly wait the release of the rest of the G.I. Joe series. The scene from "Arise, Serpenter, Arise", where Cobra Commander cheers on Sargent Slaughter during Slaughter's fight with Serpenter is downright hilliarious! "Come on, Slaughter, kick his fangs in!" The movie had some great animation, and the voice work was fantastic! Cobra! Yo Joe!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most memorable animated movie ever, Feb. 29 2004
S. Vasquez "sloth" (Radcliff, Ky United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
How can anyone have ANYTHING bad to say about this movie? From the time it was first aired to this very day I have yet to find an equal to Cobrala. (What I would give to have back my action figures from the movie... RE-Release them...PLEASE!!)
I'm a writer, and this movie still weaves its way into my imagination almost every time I sit down to write.
No Joe fan has ANY excuse to miss it!

4.0 out of 5 stars classic cartoon history, Feb. 17 2004
Ryan Pritchard "thor_oakenfelder" (Mesa, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G.I. Joe:the Movie (DVD)
one of the best cartoon movies of the 80's. this one ranks only behind Transformers The Movie for TV show tie ins. What makes me sad is that this is the last of the original Sunbow animation.

ARRAY(0xa62e96e4)

G.I. Joe:the Movie
G.I. Joe:the Movie by Don Jurwich (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 43.77