5.0 out of 5 stars We have to figure out who killed him, where, and with what!
Published on July 20 1997

2.0 out of 5 stars it was okay,just kinda boring
this movie wasn't much of a kid's movie.it had an adult plot but the funny parts were good for kids. it was ok
Published on Jan. 21 2000 by dude

5.0 out of 5 stars We have to figure out who killed him, where, and with what!, July 20 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Clue (VHS Tape)
Six guests each receive letters instructing them to come to dinner at a mansion, and assigning each of them an alias to use for their own protection. There, they meet Wadsworth, the very efficient butler, Yvette, the very buxom maid, and Mr. Boddy, the very mysterious host to them all. Each guest is handed a weapon, and then....the lights go out! When they come back on, Mr. Boddy is dead, and one of the people in the room is a murderer. But....who?
As the mystery unfolds, the death toll grows. ("Six murders...this is getting serious.") The cast of characters is absolutely hilarious, each reacting to the situation in their own -- sometimes psychotic -- way. The best part of the movie has to be Tim Curry's performance as the butler, as he attempts to keep the kitchen tidy in the midst of the chaos. His perfect comedic timing as the deadpan Wadsworth makes the movie worth watching over and over again.
Finally, the mystery is solved -- in three different ways! Choose the ending you like the best, although all three are hilarious endings to a great movie. END

5.0 out of 5 stars "Everything alright? Yup, two corpses, everything's fine", May 11 2004
Jorge Campos "Aspiring Writer & Filmmaker" (San Bruno, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clue (Widescreen) (DVD)
This entire movie is made of hilarious dialogue that is delivered with perfection by actors who were casted perfectly.
Mrs. White: He didnt seem to like me very much he had threatened to kill me in public.
Miss Scarlet: Why would he want to kill you in public?
Wadsworth: I think she meant, he threatened in public to kill her.
Colonel Mustard: Wadsworth, am I right in thinking there is no body else in this house?
Wadsworth: Ummm, no.
Colonel Mustard: Then there is someone else in this house?
Wadsworth: No, sorry. I said no meaning yes.
Colonel Mustard: No meaning yes? Look I want a straight answer, is there someone else, or isn't there? Yes or no?
Wadsworth: Ummm, no.
Colonel Mustard: No there is, or no there isn't?
Wadsworth: Yes.
Wadsworth: We're like the Mounties; we always get our man.
Mr. Green: Mrs. Peacock was a man?
Colonel Mustard: How many husbands have you had?
Mrs. White: Mine or other women's?
Colonel Mustard: Yours.
Mrs. White: Five.
Colonel Mustard: Five?
Mrs. White: Yes, just the five. Husbands should be like Kleenex: soft strong and disposable.
Colonel Mustard: You lure men to their deaths like a spider with flies.
Mrs. White: Flies are where men are most vulnerable.
Colonel Mustard: Right!
SPOILER BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT
Mr. Green: So it was you. I was going to expose you.
Wadsworth: I know. So I chose to expose myself.
Colonel Mustard: Please, there are ladies present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hillarious and more complex than the game!, Nov. 4 2003
"atarilover" (Glenmont, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clue (VHS Tape)
Clue is based on the classic mystery solving board game. In the movie, the original suspects come into a complex adventure that takes you further than the game would. The story follows as a group of people are invited to Mr. Boddy's mansion. Boddy claims to have called them on financial business. But when the six people discover that they have to use a covername given to them and find it mysterious that the host is taking forever to arrive, they get suspicious. Finally, Boddy arrives and presents them with objects that can be used as weapons (the revolver, candlestick, etc.). He turns off the lights and tells them to kill him. Not even the strong Colonel Mustard could do a thing like that but when they turn on the lights, Boddy is dead! The clan and Boddy's butler (the hillarious Tim Curry)go out to find whodunit and realize there is someone else in the mansion!
This movie is full of suspense, adventure, and laughter making it a must see! And the best part is you can try to solve the mystery on your own through the movie if you so desire!

5.0 out of 5 stars A film to watch again and again!, Aug. 4 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Clue (VHS Tape)
Clue is the movie version of the popular board game by Parker Bros, Inc. In this movie, 6 unacquainted people meet for a dinner party at a spooky mansion. They are told they will meet a Mr. Boddy to discuss financial agreements. Wadsworth, the butler, does not explain why they have been invited to this dinner party. All of them later learn dark secrets of one another, and find that a murderer is on the loose! They must try to stop this murderer without getting killed themselves, and end up entertaining audiences of all ages in this comedy.
CAST:
Col. Mustard: Martin Mull
Ms. Scarlet: Lesley Ann Warren
Yvette (Maid): Colleen Camp
Mr. Boddy: Lee Ving
If you are looking for a family film with jokes for kids, teens, and adults, this is the movie for you. Clue appeals to all ages because it has many hilarious jokes that aren't raunchy. One of these jokes is...
Col. Mustard: Wadsworth, I see you are the Butler. So what exactly do you do?
Wadsworth: I butle, sir.
I highly recommend this movie to everyone. It is a film to watch again and again!

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's All Too Shocking", July 10 2003
fra7299 "fra7299" (California, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clue (Widescreen) (DVD)
Clue is a clever whodonit mystery based on the popular board game. As mentioned in prior reviews, it has an all-star cast of actors (Tim Curry, Madeline Khan, Christopher Lloyd, Martin Mull, Leslie Ann Warren), many who play the notable characters from the board game.One of the wonderful things about the DVD is that it features a "random" ending option, in which you see one of the three endings of the film. You can also see all three endings of the movie in succession.
Movies have tried to be funny for the sake of being funny and not come through, but this movie seems to do the exact opposite. This movie is so effective as a comedy-mystery because it doesn't take itself so seriously and doesn't really try to be impressive. Dry, witty humor seeem to be the main menu for many of the characters. Also, the script is loaded with tons of "double" meanings (For instance, a police officer looks around the place and returns to tell Wadsworth that everything is okay and that "America is a free country". Wadworth replies "I didn't know it was THAT free.")
There are many dark comedy jokes in the movie. ("Two corpses. Everything's ok".) As the body count rises, the suspicions mount. The assortment of character personalities and motives are revealed as the plot progresses. Each character has a part of their past that make them a target for blackmail. The suspects continue to change, and individuals become wary of each other as possibly being capable of murder. The air of distrust, the mystery of each crime, and the smart one-liners keep the light-hearted suspense intact.
In my opinion Tim Curry, in the role of Wadsworth, absolutely steals the show. He is the prototypical butler, with his snooty way of speaking and his clever remarks to others. He has a way of setting the mood of the movie and giving it a fast-paced and witty tone. His deductions are clever and humorous ("Don't you remember your fatal mistake? ....and monkey's brains, though popular in Cantonese cuisine, are not often to be found in Washington, D.C") , and he pretty much takes over the last part of the film.
Clue is also a relatively tame comedy and mystery. It has a few suggestive scenes, but really can be viewed by younger teens and up. I suggest that if you haven't seen this movie to give it a shot....err...try.

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest "whodunnit" ever!, July 5 2003
Alan Attebery (Arlington, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clue (Widescreen) (DVD)
The people of this world are divided into two, and only two, categories: Those who love the movie "Clue" and those who don't. Luckily, I am one who does love this movie. And as other "Clue" fans can tell you, we know almost every line to this movie by heart and yet each time we see it we laugh ourselves silly.
Where many movies fail because they try to hard to get the laugh, "Clue" manages to make it work. This helped by a very talented and funny cast, including the late Madeline Kahn, Tim Curry, Martin Mull, Eileen Brennan, and more. Half of the jokes in this movie are forced on us, and yet we don't mind.
Set in the 1950s, our familiar "Clue" citizens have all gathered for dinner at the request of an anonymous host. It seems that they are all being blackmailed (it's a blast watching them all get exposed, except for Mr. Green who decides to expose himeself). The unknown host hopes that by bringing these people all together will break the silence needed for blackmail and end their suffering. Oh, if plots in the movies only went to smoothly.
Unfortunately, before the police arrive to collect the blackmail evidence, someone is murdered. And thus, our "Clue" compatriots are off and running, trying to find the killer without being killed themselves. By the time it's over with, 6 people will have been killed (and 1 of them will have been killed twice....... what a drag).
When the movie originally played in theaters, there were three different endings that could be viewed depending on which theater you went to. Each ending works with what has been shown (if you don't believe me, watch the movie again). The original VHS version combined all three endings into one triology ending. The new DVD version, though void of most extras, gives you the option to play the triology ending or let the DVD randomly pick one of the three endings to play. For "Clue" fans, this is more than enough to satisfy us.
So what are you sitting there for? There are murders to be solved! So was it Col. Mustard in the kitchen with the candlestick? Or maybe it was Mrs. White in the dining room with the knife. Or maybe........ :)

5.0 out of 5 stars 1+1+2+1=5 Stars!, Feb. 20 2003
Mike Ricksecker (Pasadena, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clue (Widescreen) (DVD)
This is one of my all-time favorite movies! Believe it or not, I actually use Clue as inspiration for my writing. Some of the comedy is so subtle that I'm still picking up on little tid bits 17 years later. For instance, Professor Plum (Christopher Lloyd) states, "No, I work for a branch of UNO, WHO, the World Health Organization." Since he pronouces UNO as "You Know", Professor Plum works for "You Know Who". But there's more blatant humor that has kept me rolling all these years: Mrs. White (Madeline Kahn), "I believe men should be like Kleenex: soft, strong, and disposable." Col. Mustard (Martin Mull), "Yep, two corpses. Everything's fine." Wadsworth (Tim Curry), "Mrs. White, no man in his right mind would want to be alone together with you." There's just way too much to go on.
The movie plays as both a mystery and a comedy, the two genres mixing extremely well in this spoof. One wishes the night to go on, with either more possible endings or another mystery entirely (hint: sequel). However, the three endings provided are extremely entertaining, the final displaying a wonderfully dramatic twist that keeps rolling with humor in transition. Mr. Green (Michael McKean), "I was going to expose you." Wadsworth, "I know, so I choose to expose myself." Col. Mustard, "Please, there are ladies present."
Who killed Mr. Boddy? Better yet, who did Mr. Boddy kill?

5.0 out of 5 stars Clue-one of the best!, Jan. 31 2003
This review is from: Clue (VHS Tape)
Undoubtedly one of my favorite films. It's a great comedy, featuring hilarious jokes (though some are slightly stupid) and actors with a talent for cracking jokes. Anyone who likes the game is sure to be delighted with the film, and even if you don't like the game you'll like it. There are three surpsise endings, and each has a different murderer! The cast (in alphabetical order):
Eileen Brennan was simply hilarious as Mrs. Peacock ("No, just death. Isn't that enough?"). She really cracked me up every time she made a statement. Tim Curry made an excellent Wadsworth, the butler ("If I were the murderer, why would I reveal to you how I did it?"). My FAVORITE of all the characters
though has to be Madeline Kahn as the sultry Mrs. White ("It's a matter of life after death. Now that he's dead, I have a life"). Michael McKean sparkled as the dorky ... Mr. Green ("How can we possibly figure out which of YOU did it?!"). Martin Mull was a perfectly loveable Colonel Mustard ("You mean there isn't any confusion, or this isn't any one else in the house?"). Christopher Lloyd was good as the suave and silent Professor Plum ("Oh, shucks."). And finally, Lesley Ann Warren shone as the diamonds-best-friend gal Miss Scarlet ("Great! We'll all go to the chair!").
It's witty, funny, and laugh out-loud slapstick comedy. I urge you to see it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I DIDN'T DO IT!!!, Dec 13 2002
This review is from: Clue (Widescreen) (DVD)
But Clue does!!! This is a movie based on that popular child's game of the early 1960's. I guess I am dating myself to say we adored this as wee tikes and spent many a winter night or hot summer day inside playing it. So this being 'icon' of my childhood, I was leary when I heard they were making a movie of it, in spite of the powerhouse cast. Movies of this sort can be very very funny or miss altogether...fortunately, this one hits dead on bullseye!
The cast is a who's who of talent, head by the incomparable Tim Curry. (The only people I think that could have handle the role with the same droll talent is Ian McShane or David Bowie!!). The jokes are painfully tongue through cheek, delivered at rapid fire pace, by a cast that knows how to do farce. Discovering who killed everyone is more confusing that solving who was responsible for all the murders in Bogart & Bacall's BIG SLEEP!!
So do not miss Tim Curry doing his Butler-did-it thingie, the brilliant Madeline Kahn, the eternally beautiful & gravity-defying Leslie Ann Warren, Christopher Lloyd and Michael McKean in one hilarious romp. A definite repeat viewer with the laughs never failing to miss.
Frankly, I would LOVE to have the outtakes for this film...

5.0 out of 5 stars Clue - one of the best comedies!, Aug. 26 2002
DAVID (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clue (Widescreen) (DVD)
I first saw this movie when I was 10 and loved it right away. Today I am 25 and still thoroughly enjoy coming back to it. While it got panned by critics, this film offers so much more than its boardgame origins and deserves a viewing. The witty banter of this movie, by a great comic cast, leaves you coming back for more. When I was younger I was rather obsessed with this movie, having watched it over 260 times--I eventually lost count--and came to memorize the entire script. What first drew me in was the slapstick comedy and hilarious one-liners, however, as I matured, and with each sucessive time I watched it, I discovered more of the rich satiric humour embedded within the dialogue. So much is going on that you'll want to watch it over, not only to see how the "who done it" plays out but also for the fast paced dialogue. While in truth, my enthusiasm for the film surpasses that of my friends and family, I have yet to meet an individual who did not appreciate Clue for the amusement it provides. Go rent it, or better yet buy it, today!
Mrs. White:
"Men should be like kleenex: soft, strong and disposable"
"Life after death is as improbable as sex after marriage"
If you want to discuss the film e-mail me at drvan@hotmail.com

Clue (Widescreen)
Clue (Widescreen) by Jonathan Lynn (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 5.40