march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis vpcflyout Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Family

Format: DVD|Change
Price:$34.85+ $3.49 shipping

on July 20, 1997
Six guests each receive letters instructing them to come to dinner at a mansion, and assigning each of them an alias to use for their own protection. There, they meet Wadsworth, the very efficient butler, Yvette, the very buxom maid, and Mr. Boddy, the very mysterious host to them all. Each guest is handed a weapon, and then....the lights go out! When they come back on, Mr. Boddy is dead, and one of the people in the room is a murderer. But....who?
As the mystery unfolds, the death toll grows. ("Six murders...this is getting serious.") The cast of characters is absolutely hilarious, each reacting to the situation in their own -- sometimes psychotic -- way. The best part of the movie has to be Tim Curry's performance as the butler, as he attempts to keep the kitchen tidy in the midst of the chaos. His perfect comedic timing as the deadpan Wadsworth makes the movie worth watching over and over again.
Finally, the mystery is solved -- in three different ways! Choose the ending you like the best, although all three are hilarious endings to a great movie. END
on May 11, 2004
This entire movie is made of hilarious dialogue that is delivered with perfection by actors who were casted perfectly.
Mrs. White: He didnt seem to like me very much he had threatened to kill me in public.
Miss Scarlet: Why would he want to kill you in public?
Wadsworth: I think she meant, he threatened in public to kill her.
Colonel Mustard: Wadsworth, am I right in thinking there is no body else in this house?
Wadsworth: Ummm, no.
Colonel Mustard: Then there is someone else in this house?
Wadsworth: No, sorry. I said no meaning yes.
Colonel Mustard: No meaning yes? Look I want a straight answer, is there someone else, or isn't there? Yes or no?
Wadsworth: Ummm, no.
Colonel Mustard: No there is, or no there isn't?
Wadsworth: Yes.
Wadsworth: We're like the Mounties; we always get our man.
Mr. Green: Mrs. Peacock was a man?
Colonel Mustard: How many husbands have you had?
Mrs. White: Mine or other women's?
Colonel Mustard: Yours.
Mrs. White: Five.
Colonel Mustard: Five?
Mrs. White: Yes, just the five. Husbands should be like Kleenex: soft strong and disposable.
Colonel Mustard: You lure men to their deaths like a spider with flies.
Mrs. White: Flies are where men are most vulnerable.
Colonel Mustard: Right!
SPOILER BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT
Mr. Green: So it was you. I was going to expose you.
Wadsworth: I know. So I chose to expose myself.
Colonel Mustard: Please, there are ladies present.
on July 10, 2003
Clue is a clever whodonit mystery based on the popular board game. As mentioned in prior reviews, it has an all-star cast of actors (Tim Curry, Madeline Khan, Christopher Lloyd, Martin Mull, Leslie Ann Warren), many who play the notable characters from the board game.One of the wonderful things about the DVD is that it features a "random" ending option, in which you see one of the three endings of the film. You can also see all three endings of the movie in succession.
Movies have tried to be funny for the sake of being funny and not come through, but this movie seems to do the exact opposite. This movie is so effective as a comedy-mystery because it doesn't take itself so seriously and doesn't really try to be impressive. Dry, witty humor seeem to be the main menu for many of the characters. Also, the script is loaded with tons of "double" meanings (For instance, a police officer looks around the place and returns to tell Wadsworth that everything is okay and that "America is a free country". Wadworth replies "I didn't know it was THAT free.")
There are many dark comedy jokes in the movie. ("Two corpses. Everything's ok".) As the body count rises, the suspicions mount. The assortment of character personalities and motives are revealed as the plot progresses. Each character has a part of their past that make them a target for blackmail. The suspects continue to change, and individuals become wary of each other as possibly being capable of murder. The air of distrust, the mystery of each crime, and the smart one-liners keep the light-hearted suspense intact.
In my opinion Tim Curry, in the role of Wadsworth, absolutely steals the show. He is the prototypical butler, with his snooty way of speaking and his clever remarks to others. He has a way of setting the mood of the movie and giving it a fast-paced and witty tone. His deductions are clever and humorous ("Don't you remember your fatal mistake? ....and monkey's brains, though popular in Cantonese cuisine, are not often to be found in Washington, D.C") , and he pretty much takes over the last part of the film.
Clue is also a relatively tame comedy and mystery. It has a few suggestive scenes, but really can be viewed by younger teens and up. I suggest that if you haven't seen this movie to give it a shot....err...try.
on July 5, 2003
The people of this world are divided into two, and only two, categories: Those who love the movie "Clue" and those who don't. Luckily, I am one who does love this movie. And as other "Clue" fans can tell you, we know almost every line to this movie by heart and yet each time we see it we laugh ourselves silly.
Where many movies fail because they try to hard to get the laugh, "Clue" manages to make it work. This helped by a very talented and funny cast, including the late Madeline Kahn, Tim Curry, Martin Mull, Eileen Brennan, and more. Half of the jokes in this movie are forced on us, and yet we don't mind.
Set in the 1950s, our familiar "Clue" citizens have all gathered for dinner at the request of an anonymous host. It seems that they are all being blackmailed (it's a blast watching them all get exposed, except for Mr. Green who decides to expose himeself). The unknown host hopes that by bringing these people all together will break the silence needed for blackmail and end their suffering. Oh, if plots in the movies only went to smoothly.
Unfortunately, before the police arrive to collect the blackmail evidence, someone is murdered. And thus, our "Clue" compatriots are off and running, trying to find the killer without being killed themselves. By the time it's over with, 6 people will have been killed (and 1 of them will have been killed twice....... what a drag).
When the movie originally played in theaters, there were three different endings that could be viewed depending on which theater you went to. Each ending works with what has been shown (if you don't believe me, watch the movie again). The original VHS version combined all three endings into one triology ending. The new DVD version, though void of most extras, gives you the option to play the triology ending or let the DVD randomly pick one of the three endings to play. For "Clue" fans, this is more than enough to satisfy us.
So what are you sitting there for? There are murders to be solved! So was it Col. Mustard in the kitchen with the candlestick? Or maybe it was Mrs. White in the dining room with the knife. Or maybe........ :)
on February 20, 2003
This is one of my all-time favorite movies! Believe it or not, I actually use Clue as inspiration for my writing. Some of the comedy is so subtle that I'm still picking up on little tid bits 17 years later. For instance, Professor Plum (Christopher Lloyd) states, "No, I work for a branch of UNO, WHO, the World Health Organization." Since he pronouces UNO as "You Know", Professor Plum works for "You Know Who". But there's more blatant humor that has kept me rolling all these years: Mrs. White (Madeline Kahn), "I believe men should be like Kleenex: soft, strong, and disposable." Col. Mustard (Martin Mull), "Yep, two corpses. Everything's fine." Wadsworth (Tim Curry), "Mrs. White, no man in his right mind would want to be alone together with you." There's just way too much to go on.
The movie plays as both a mystery and a comedy, the two genres mixing extremely well in this spoof. One wishes the night to go on, with either more possible endings or another mystery entirely (hint: sequel). However, the three endings provided are extremely entertaining, the final displaying a wonderfully dramatic twist that keeps rolling with humor in transition. Mr. Green (Michael McKean), "I was going to expose you." Wadsworth, "I know, so I choose to expose myself." Col. Mustard, "Please, there are ladies present."
Who killed Mr. Boddy? Better yet, who did Mr. Boddy kill?
on December 13, 2002
But Clue does!!! This is a movie based on that popular child's game of the early 1960's. I guess I am dating myself to say we adored this as wee tikes and spent many a winter night or hot summer day inside playing it. So this being 'icon' of my childhood, I was leary when I heard they were making a movie of it, in spite of the powerhouse cast. Movies of this sort can be very very funny or miss altogether...fortunately, this one hits dead on bullseye!
The cast is a who's who of talent, head by the incomparable Tim Curry. (The only people I think that could have handle the role with the same droll talent is Ian McShane or David Bowie!!). The jokes are painfully tongue through cheek, delivered at rapid fire pace, by a cast that knows how to do farce. Discovering who killed everyone is more confusing that solving who was responsible for all the murders in Bogart & Bacall's BIG SLEEP!!
So do not miss Tim Curry doing his Butler-did-it thingie, the brilliant Madeline Kahn, the eternally beautiful & gravity-defying Leslie Ann Warren, Christopher Lloyd and Michael McKean in one hilarious romp. A definite repeat viewer with the laughs never failing to miss.
Frankly, I would LOVE to have the outtakes for this film...
on August 26, 2002
I first saw this movie when I was 10 and loved it right away. Today I am 25 and still thoroughly enjoy coming back to it. While it got panned by critics, this film offers so much more than its boardgame origins and deserves a viewing. The witty banter of this movie, by a great comic cast, leaves you coming back for more. When I was younger I was rather obsessed with this movie, having watched it over 260 times--I eventually lost count--and came to memorize the entire script. What first drew me in was the slapstick comedy and hilarious one-liners, however, as I matured, and with each sucessive time I watched it, I discovered more of the rich satiric humour embedded within the dialogue. So much is going on that you'll want to watch it over, not only to see how the "who done it" plays out but also for the fast paced dialogue. While in truth, my enthusiasm for the film surpasses that of my friends and family, I have yet to meet an individual who did not appreciate Clue for the amusement it provides. Go rent it, or better yet buy it, today!
Mrs. White:
"Men should be like kleenex: soft, strong and disposable"
"Life after death is as improbable as sex after marriage"
If you want to discuss the film e-mail me at drvan@hotmail.com
on July 17, 2002
Clue, starring Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, Martin Mull, and others, is a classic 'who dunit' comedy. Based on the board game of the same name, Clue takes a cast of characters named after colors, puts them in a mansion, and then lets them trip over each other as they try to figure out who killed 'Mr. Body'.
One of the most impressive aspects of this movie is that it works as both a mystery and a comedy. Clue is filled with hints, and 'red herrings' to borrow a phrase from the movie. In its original release, Clue was shot with three alternate endings. Different endings were distributed to the theaters. On the VHS copy of the movie, all three movies were added to the end of the movie. You can play the DVD the same way, or select an option for your player to select an ending at random.
It is also rather refreshing to see a comedy that doesn't rely soley on four letter words, bodily functions, sex jokes, and toilet humor to elicit laughs. Clue definitely earns its PG rating, but I wouldn't be ashamed to show this movie to my niece.
My only real complaint about the DVD is that it is sorely lacking in the extras that make DVD's so popular. There is no director's commentary (or a commentary from anyone for that matter), no deleted scenes, and no making of featurette. If Paramount follows the lead of many other titles released on DVD, I can't help but imagine there will be a 'Collector's Edition' of Clue released in the future with many of these features added, forcing the true fan to shell out [more money] to get the 'ultimate' copy of the movie.
Clue is an entertaining, funny, mystery and comedy. I've viewed it a dozen times and I'm just starting to catch all the jokes and running gags. Tim Curry's role as Wadsworth is fantastic and his expostion in all three endings as he reveals who did it and how is priceless.
I would recommend this movie to any comedy or light hearted mystery fan.
on April 25, 2002
The movie "Clue" is based on the popular board game about six people who get invited to the Boddy mansion. The movie starts off simple enough: The six suspects arrive, the butler introduces himself, they all sit down to dinner, and you're given the impression that this is going to be a serious Agatha Christie-type murder mystery. There's suspenseful background music, tension is built up, and you can't wait to see when the murder's going to take place. Then Mr. Boddy shows up. After explaining to everyone why he invited them all there, the official "great turning point" occurs. After the first murder, Clue little by little transforms itself from what appears to be the usual stock murder mystery into one of the wittiest, funniest dark comedies ever to be made in the history of cinema.
The all-star cast is a spectacle in and of itself, the one-liners are some of the most memorable you'll ever hear in any movie, Tim Curry steals the show as Wadsworth the butler who "buttles", everything moves at a steady pace, and there's a fairly large body count. There are so many little twists, turns, gags, ambiguous jokes, and unexpected surprises in this film, that you will find yourself watching it over and over again just to see what you missed. And not just that..you'll be rewatching it because, well, it's just a darn good movie.
I have probably literally seen Clue about 40-50 times so far and I never get tired of it. I don't just like watching it - I like introducing people to it too. Each time I watch it with someone who hasn't seen it, watching their eyes light up at this spectacular achievment of a movie is like watching it again for the first time. But be warned: If you're looking for "Gone With The Wind" or "Citizen Kane" (good movies in their own right), don't buy or rent this movie. If you're looking for a silly, hilarious, dark, and original popcorn and soda murder mystery comedy - The kind of movie where you can just kick back, turn your brain off and enjoy the sheer ridiculousness of it all, Clue is the movie for you.
on January 3, 1999
"CLUE" cunningly combines comedy with mystery, and makes the blend swirling these two genres perfectly! This enjoyable movie just lets your favorite board game charectors come to life in a hilarious comedy that won't let you stop laughing! Follow these origonal charectors through the twists and turns of this hilarious comedy! You will find yourself wondering "Who's next?" and jumping out of your seat after finding-out which of the suspects turns-out to be the knieving creep who started the whole evening to begin with... Was it cunning Miss. Scarlet? Or could it have been treacherous Mrs. White? Mabye it was nervous Mr. Green? Or was it annoying Mrs. Peacock? What about shakey Mr. Mustard? Was it Mr. Plum? Could it have been Evette, the maid? Or was it Mr. Body himeslf? Be prepared to have a stitch in your stomach by the end of this cunning movie. "CLUE" not only has an all-star cast and a perfectly written script, it will win its way into your heart, and believe me; I DO NOT KNOW ONE PERSON WHO'S SEEN "Clue" AND NOT SEEN IT ATLEAST TWICE! I give this movie 5 well-deserved stars, due to its cunningness and one-of-a-kind perspective. This is a definate BIGGIE that you won't want to miss!!!