4.0 out of 5 stars A perfect edition of this film, except ...
Published on Dec 24 2000 by R. Byrd

2.0 out of 5 stars DVD defective. Took a lot of polishing to view.
Film itself is a 5 star. Disc (new) arrived packeged well BUT did not play properly. Refused to play in two different places. Was able to polish out the first start dvd again then hit a second. Again lots of polishing to get it to play. I do not appreciate getting new DVDs in this condition.
Published 16 months ago by B. Beck

4.0 out of 5 stars A perfect edition of this film, except ..., Dec 24 2000
R. Byrd "byrdie" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nightmare Before Christmas (VHS Tape)
So, for the holidays, I decided to buy some of my favorite seasonal films, and "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was on my list. I like eye-candy, and thus I like Tim Burton. But I'm not reviewing the film so much as this version of it. This is a special, widescreen edition that includes: an original trailer, a "making of", "Vincent," narrated by Vincent Price, and "Frankenweenie".
What it *doesn't* include, however, is the ending I saw in the theater. This version ends with the song near a pumpkin patch (as I clumsily try not to spoil the film for anyone who hasn't already seen it), and not the closing narration. Okay, so I'm picky. I thought I was getting the entire film, and I didn't. The closing narration wasn't long or even, to my mind, boring. Granted, it probably wasn't necessary either, but then, how was including "Frankenweenie" necessary?
It's a wonderful movie and a really cool edition considering what all you get in it. However, if you intended to get the *complete* film that you may have seen in the theaters, you may want to hunt around for a different version.

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic, May 6 2001
I remember seeing this back in '93. It was the late showing and I was the only one in the theater, a very cool way to see this film for the first time. The Nightmare Before Christmas showcases two of Tim Burton's trademark influences: German expressionist films and stop-motion animation. The dark, foreboding sets, high-contrast lighting, and stark angles of The Nightmare Before Christmas harken back to German films of the silent era, such as Nosferatu and The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari. Burton has employed stop-motion animation in several of his earlier films, such as Beetlejuice (by the way, if you look closely in one particular scene, you can see Jack Skellington's head atop Michael Keaton's carousel hat). The Nightmare Before Christmas follows the animated movie tradition of using music and songs to progress the story. Naturally, being a Tim Burton movie, the songs are provided by his frequent collaborator, Danny Elfman. The music and the visuals are inseparable. The wonderful songs breath life into characters who are at home with their dark, sinister nature. Anyone can enjoy Danny Elfman's music, which is easily the best you'll ever hear in an animated musical. The voice talent for The Nightmare Before Christmas is a splendid bunch, drawing from the stable of Tim Burton regulars and improvisational comedy geniuses. Children will be able to grasp the story with little difficulty, and most will be able to grasp that these characters are not at all scary.
The original DVD release, while it contained an excellent Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack and an exemplary video transfer, albeit non-anamorphic, had a dismal lack of extras. It's these extras that make the new DVD worth buying. First up, you get a commentary track with director Henry Selick and director of photography Pete Kozachik. A twenty-five minute documentary highlights the making of the film. Several deleted storyboarded or fully animated sequences are presented. A thorough concept art gallery presents the design work of Tim Burton and the storyboard artists. Two theatrical trailers are included - one is a "teaser" that presents the project as the brainchild of Tim Burton (who was riding high after the success of Batman and Edward Scissorhands), while the other is a more standard theatrical trailer. Also included are his first directorial efforts, the short films Vincent and Frankenweenie. He directed both shorts prior to directing Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Frankenweenie received a video release around the time of Batman Returns, but has been unavailable for many years. This is the first time either film has been available on DVD, and it will probably be the last. If that isn't reason enough to buy this disc, well, nothing will convince you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare before Christmas, Jan. 30 2014
An all time family favourite. Holds dear to our heart as my daughter who loved it the most passed away in 2007. Bittersweet but oh so worth watching

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., Dec 10 2013
An all-time Halloween and Christmas favorite from my childhood. The Blu Ray edition is crystal clear and beautiful. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars okay, Nov. 25 2013
enjoyed it more when it first came out so many years ago. Still good tho, just not as great as I remembered it. Great colour!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie and blu-ray dvd made it even better!!, Nov. 19 2013
Great quality blue ray dvd :) I would recommend to anyone who is a Tim Burton fan. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family favorite!!, Nov. 2 2013
My kids love this movie as do my husband and I. It has become a family favorite that we watch all year long but especially at Halloween. The songs stick in our heads for days after!

4.0 out of 5 stars A kust have for any Nightmare fan., Oct. 8 2013
This is a must have for any one who loves The Nightmare Before Christmas. Nightmare 3D only adds to experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic movie in a creative package!, May 2 2013
I love this movie and I am huge fan of creative box sets.
I was ecstatic when I saw this and had to buy it right away. I was skeptical at first because the one I purchased was used, but when I received it, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was in perfect condition - like brand new. One of my favorite purchases from amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good movie to watch, April 17 2013
its one of my favorite movies to watch, i really like stop motion movies its a dying breed out in the movie land.

ARRAY(0xad0e39c0)

Nightmare Before Christmas
Nightmare Before Christmas by Tim Burton (VHS Tape - 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 16.80