5.0 out of 5 stars Watch it twice
Like most of my reviews, I will try to keep this brief. I say watch it twice because as much as i love low budget movies...I couldn't decide if i loved the movie or thought that it was a waste of my day. After the first viewing, i didnt get a chance to see the movie again until 3 years later when i got a chance to purchase the special edition(before it became an...
Published on June 21 2004 by goodrevtom

2.0 out of 5 stars What's this film about again?
This movie begins with some vauge plot about young punk Otto (Emilio Estivez) who is fired from his job at a grocery store for having a bad attitude. Soon afterwards he is drafted into work for a company that repossess cars. After that, the writers decide not to bother figureing out what the plot should be about, the movie simply becomes a series of random, mostly...
Published on March 24 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars WHAT?, Oct. 9 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Repo Man (Widescreen) (DVD)
WHO THE HELL WANTED A SPECIAL EDITION OF THIS DAMN FILM ?

2.0 out of 5 stars Universal should repossess this movie, March 10 2003
This review is from: Repo Man (Widescreen) (DVD)
I used to like this film although now I don't know what I must have been thinking. I used to like Emilio Estevez but in this I don't anymore. This should be an interesting and different kind of movie about a repossessing agent but it isn't.I don't like any of the characters except for the lobotomised scientist who is probably the most interesting and mysterious character in this arthouse dog.Unfortunately in a way I own this film on VHS and paid five dollars for it as an ex rental, although I was planning to buy it on DVD and I am glad now that I saw it again on videotape and I am not buying it now. What a waste of money it would be.
This movie is about a car, driven by the lobotomised scientist who as far as I can tell, has radio active aliens in it. Anyone who opens the boot gets zapped out of existence. A police officer did this and only his boots were left.The scientist tries to warn anybody not to open the boot, but do they listen? NO.
This car has a $20,000 repossessing value on it and everybody is after it. Otto played by Emilio Estevez, is after it, his co-worker Harry Dean Stanton is after it, the Rodriguez brothers are after it, including government agents that want to get the valuable cargo.Ridiculously at the climax of the movie, some guy gets in the car, and for some strange reason he is the only one who can because the car is so hot it sets people on fire. And for some reason he knows how to make it fly and it soars over the city rapidly. Oh yeah, it's glowing too.
You can do better than this. For Emilio Estevez, I recommend you check out Maximum Overdrive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cult "classic?" Not for me., Aug. 26 2000
Gogmagog (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Repo Man (Widescreen) (DVD)
I'll admit it - I just don't get it. I guess I should love this film. People I know and respect heap praise upon it at every opportunity and tell me over and over that it's the kind of thing I should like. I first saw this film on television years ago and again in college on video and finally purchased this DVD and I still hate it as much as I did when I saw it the first time.

Generic food. Everyone eats only generic food. Is that clever? People tell me it is, but it just seems like a nihilistic gimmick. "The life of a repo man is always intense." Is it? It seems like Harry Dean is intense because of the amount of cocaine in his system, but every other Repo Man is pretty laid back. So much so that it's hard to stay awake for the film's dopey "climax." The alien in the trunk? Who cares? Plate of shrimp? Inane. The dark side of coincidence has been explored with such mastery in literature by Charles Fort and in film by scores of directors more expertly than it's handled here. There are moments of shining humor; the John Wayne discussion and Otto's friend who wants to "eat sushi and not pay for it" stand out and deserve the single star I give this film, but the remainder of this film seemed as flat and hollow and the time period it was attempting to satirize.

In summary, an ironic film in that it aspires to irony and fails. It also fails as entertainment, political or social commentary, or even as the type of film that's "so bad it's good."

1.0 out of 5 stars I ate sushi, and didn't pay., April 10 2000
J. Rockwell "another day in paradise" (Moreno Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Repo Man (VHS Tape)
It finally happened... I was out eating sushi last week, and someone else picked up the tab. It finally became clear to me that the movie "Repo Man" could qualify as the foundation for a new religion.
My high school buddies used to quote this movie. So finally I saw it in college. There are so many little treasures in this movie--space doesn't permit them all, but the "plot/subplot"--young nihilist Estevez becomes a repo man and ends up repossesing a vehicle w/ dead aliens that then turn the car into a UFO and whisks the 'pure' ones off into space--is not the point of the movie.
The point? It's about the interconnectedness of everything and the re-creation of that fantasy movie world that we miss so often in today's films. Maybe there really were people like this in the 80's, but I never met them. I'd like to think that this film uses the medium as a way to indulge all of our darker fantasies about human nature, morality, and how we'd all act if we could.
Perhaps that's why this movie is so popular. To give it five stars would be an insult. It's a terrible movie, with terrible subject matter and terrible, mostly unlikeable characters. But that's just the point. You can sit back and enter this terrible world, which equals pure movie enjoyment. I get lost every time. So I give it one star, because Otto wouldn't want more.

5.0 out of 5 stars What the f*ck do I know?, July 11 2004
This review is from: Repo Man (Widescreen) (DVD)
One thing I do know is this film is a modern day masterpiece.Unlike anything made before it.A true work of art and absolutely essential to any great DVD collection.Better than Gone With The Wind.It will make you wanna go to L.A. but stay home and watch Repo Man instead.I really wish they'd release the made for TV version of it as well.Along with the high art of Richard Elfman's brilliant Forbidden Zone, Repo Man is in a class all by itself.SUPERB!

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money for something better, July 20 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Repo Man (Widescreen) (DVD)
I liked Emilio Estevez when he first started making movies, but this one is a real boner. This is an AWFUL movie. The directing is some of the worst that I have ever seen. The acting is so cardboard you just have to either laugh or cry. The story of an alien body being hidden in the trunk of stolen car is rediculous enough, but when you see Harry Dean Stanton "fly" the car off into space at the end of the movie, you'll be groaning in pain at this ludicrous film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great edition of a great film, May 29 2013
Erin Stropes "Erin" (Milwaukee/Montreal) - See all my reviews
The special features on this DVD are quite extensive, and the packaging is awesome. The film itself looks great - well worth the upgrade from my worn-out VHS version :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Criterion reveals a singular masterpiece, April 23 2013
Gary Fuhrman "gnox" (Manitoulin Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Repo Man is one of those films that succeeds beautifully at being uniquely strange, thanks to an odd combination of factors. First of all there's Alex Cox's script, delivered by a perfect cast. Like "Withnaill and I", this film by a first-time director is hilarious for those who "get" the dialogue and incomprehensible for those who don't. Then there's the unique blend of absurdity and realism in its portrayal of the LA punk scene of the early 1980s. And finally there's the implicit political message, which is very much in tune with "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (also scripted by Cox). The result had to be a "cult" film -- although there's also a "cleaned-up" television version included in this Criterion edition (for the curious, or those who prefer films without profanity or drug use). But this sci-fi comedy is one of those "cult" films that doesn't get old.

Criterion, as usual, has given us extras that take us behind the scenes of the making of the film: a recent conversation among the producers and director Cox, a great commentary track, deleted scenes, and interviews with Iggy Pop and Harry Dean Stanton that are worth catching even apart from what they tell us about the film. And last but not least, the 70-page booklet, which includes the comic-book version of the story. Perusing all this, one can't help but be amazed that this film could get made in Hollywood at all. Amazed, but grateful to all involved.

Repo Man (Widescreen)
Repo Man (Widescreen) by Alex Cox (DVD - 2000)
CDN$ 79.49