5.0 out of 5 stars Eat like the Sultans!
Published on Aug. 19 2000 by M. Guler

3.0 out of 5 stars Healthy
This book has many recipes that I would make -lots of vegetables. It just does not look too appealing. Perhaps it is the photography.
Published 3 months ago by Sandra Kramer

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat like the Sultans!, Aug. 19 2000
M. Guler (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sultan's Kitchen (Hardcover)
Most Turkish cookbooks written in English are very hard to understand since translating anything from Turkish to English can be quite a task. Most of the recipes in this book are very easy to understand and follow through. There are some recipes here that may be difficult to make (Su Boregi, Manti to name a couple) but thats because they are hard to make regardless of what language you try explain the recipe! The ingredients shouldn't be too hard to find and the taste you achieve by following these recipes is 100% authentic. You dont have to be in Istanbul to eat like the sultans anymore! Excellent for those homesick!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Turkish food in your own kitchen, Dec 17 2003
This review is from: Sultan's Kitchen: A Turkish Cookbook (Paperback)
I love Turkish food, and with this book I have been able to replicate some of my favorite restaurant dishes, as well as make new discoveries. The meze (Turkish appetizer) recipes are uniformly terrific-- the spicy pureed feta and spicy tomato recipes alone justify the price of the book. They have become standards in our house and are requested by guests time and time again. For the most part, the dishes are easy to make, although a few are labor intensive. Instructions are clear. The pictures make one's mouth water. The only reason I did not give this book 5 stars is that I most enjoy cookbooks that both have good recipes and are fun to read. There is not much to read in this book other than the recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some heavily interpreted dishes, Feb. 10 2002
epultar (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sultan's Kitchen (Hardcover)
I'm Turkish and own several cookbooks on Turkish cuisine written in Turkish. Yet I find myself referring to this book quite often. It covers most of the standards and has interesting local dishes. I'd definitely recommend it to foreigners who want to be cooking "the real thing". However, there are some dishes which to me seem either made up, relatively unknown or heavily interpreted by Mr. Ozan. For example, the wedding soup does not have so many vegetables in it; in fact it has none.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Turkish cookbook yet, March 18 2001
Jeannine Koknar (Cape May Court House, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sultan's Kitchen (Hardcover)
I have lived in Turkey and enjoyed the food perhaps too much. Also my hobby is collecting Turkish cookbooks and cooking Turkish food. This book is at the top of my list. Every recipe I've tried has been perfection. Not due to my cooking skills but because of the quality of the recipe. Don't hesitate to buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes GOODS, Looks GOOD, and is EASY!, Aug. 5 2000
This review is from: The Sultan's Kitchen (Hardcover)
This is the BEST cookbook! I am NOT an experienced cook, but I was even able to make the BREAD (from scratch!) for the meat filled pastry (Katmer with Kiymali filling)! I had no trouble understanding the instructions or finding the ingredients (they were ALL available at my local grocery!)! Another great thing about it is the photographs! There are a LOT! (If it looks good, then you want to cook it, right?) I have cooked my way through half the recipes and loved them all! This book made me a much more confident cook! Oh, I almost forgot to say, everything tastes GREAT! I don't even have to go to a Turkish restaurant anymore!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mediterranean Diet Haven!, Oct. 8 2002
This review is from: The Sultan's Kitchen (Hardcover)
I have this cookbook, and cook from it at least once a week. The recipes are well thought out and always tasty. Recently, I adopted a mediterranean diet, and found that I could eat foods I really liked, and still be healthy. However, lunch was always a problem. I'm lucky enough to work around the corner from the restaurant, Sultan's Kitchen, where Ozcan cooks. This is where the recipes come from. They are healthy, they are tasty and they are very well tested. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking to adopt a healthy diet or looking for turkish recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sultan's Kitchen, June 28 2000
This review is from: The Sultan's Kitchen (Hardcover)
I used to live in Boston and regularly dine at the Sultan's Kitchen. It is the only Turkish restaurant I've visited in the US that immediately transport's me to my Hala's kitchen in Istanbul. I'm thrilled to have this book available to me. It is one way for me to stay connected to family so far away. I highly recommend this book to anyone. Turkish food is delicious and The Sultan's Kitchen makes the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Turkish cook-book we've ever used, Oct. 30 1999
This review is from: The Sultan's Kitchen (Hardcover)
We're Turks living in the States. We have been using his recipes for over a year now. We don't feel homesick!!!!! We recommend this book whole heartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Turkish cookbook so far, Nov. 20 2011
This review is from: Sultan's Kitchen: A Turkish Cookbook (Paperback)
I am Turkish and have been away from Turkey for 30 years. I have many other Turkish cook books both in english and Turkish, BUT this book has been my salvation every time we treat our friends and family to Turkish food. The reasons I can think of are; simplicity/accuracy of recipes and the availability of ingredients in Canada. Since it is inexpensive, over the years I bought several (12+) copies of this book and gave as christmas/birthday gifts to our kids, family and close friends. Feedback from the people we have given the book as gifts has also been excellent.

The book covers both popular/well known dishes and some not so well known ones as well. For example I have never knew about Collard green salad, now it is one of our favourites. Lamb shanks with swiss chard is to die for. I do not remember how many times I cooked it for our guests and received compliments. Spinach and Feta cheese Borek became our kids favourite to serve their friends. These are just a few examples of many delicious recipes from the book.

My husband and I are looking forward to visit Mr. Ozan's restaurant "Sultan's Kitchen" in Boston one day. My own copy is the first edition, in hardcover, has a repaired binding and grease stains from overuse, do I need to say more :-) ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook I ever bought!, Aug. 21 2008
This review is from: Sultan's Kitchen: A Turkish Cookbook (Paperback)
I love this book!My Husband loves this book, as I get to cook for him all of his favourites! and some he had never even known/tried that are now our families new favourites! I am so happy to have bought this book over a year ago and still use it or cook receipes from it almost daily! You really can't go wrong and I hope only to find more great and easy cookbooks as easy and delicious as this one!!

Sultan's Kitchen: A Turkish Cookbook
Sultan's Kitchen: A Turkish Cookbook by Ozcan Ozan (Paperback - May 1 2001)
CDN$ 28.95 CDN$ 18.24