5.0 out of 5 stars A book to read (better in the tub!!!)
I just adored this book! I read the end over and over again! I believe this to be one of her best! I've read so many of Janette Oke's books but I love this one so much!
Published on Aug. 8 2002 by georgia-cowgirl

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent summer read, but nothing special.
Published on June 16 2003 by MAB

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent summer read, but nothing special., June 16 2003
This review is from: A Woman Named Damaris (Paperback)
"A Woman Named Damaris" did not have a solid plot, and was redundant. It's a decent read, but most of the pages were full of fluff and fillers. I have no idea what it's like, but Damaris' constant thinking that men are drunks started to get to me and at times made me angry. Predictable, as all of Oke's books are, and her endings come so quickly and without elaboration. I "sorta" recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to read (better in the tub!!!), Aug. 8 2002
"georgia-cowgirl" (the world of readers) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Woman Named Damaris (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story about surviving an abusive household, Oct. 19 2001
Anna M. Vandenhazel (West Valley City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Woman Named Damaris (Paperback)
Damaris Withers leaves home to escape her abusive alcoholic father, and joins a wagon train to help a family going west. When she leaves the wagon train at the final destination, the landlady at a boarding house helps her find employment among her friends. Eventually she becomes the guardian of 3 children whose parents have died, and with the help of friends, including one special young man, she is able to take good care of them. This is a great inspirational story about someone who isn't afraid of hard work!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED this book!, June 4 2000
This review is from: A Woman Named Damaris (Paperback)
This book is about a girl named Damaris. She grew up in a home with an alcoholic and abusive father. She finally decides to run away. Damaris joins a wagon train heading west. When she finally reaches the end of the journey, she finds herself working for three people, all who are good to her. She boards with one of them, but she finds a true friend in Miss Dover, another of her employers, who helps her find what she has been searching for : her name in the Bible. With the search for her name, she finds something more, something that Damaris desperately needs : a relationship with God. Her faith helps her through many challenges, including her adoption of three orphan children. One of the things I love about this book is the connection to the Prairie Legacy series. (*Note* look at the name Lewis to find the connection!) Janette Oke fans will love this book. Even if you've never read them, you'll still love it! So read it as soon as you can get your hands on a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!!, March 17 1999
This review is from: A Woman Named Damaris (Paperback)
I loved this book! I first got it from my middle school library, and now that I'm in high school I get friends to check it out for me. The story is wonderful, the characters are excellent, and you just fall in love with the whole book. This is one of my favorite books by Oke!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Feb. 10 1999
This review is from: A Woman Named Damaris (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book! I have read many books by Jannette, and I can remember this one vividly. It deals with orphaned children also, so it is very touching.

5.0 out of 5 stars A WOMAN NAMED DAMARIS, Dec 9 1997
This review is from: A Woman Named Damaris (Paperback)
"I ENJOYED THIS BOOK BECAUSE SHE IS ABOUT MY AGE AND IT SHOWS THAT A YOUNG WOMAN CAN SURVIVE ON HER OWN. I ALSO LIKE THE WAY SHE HAS COME TO TRUST GOD AFTER ALL THAT SHE HAS BEEN THROUGH."

Woman Named Damaris
Woman Named Damaris by Janette Oke (Audio Cassette - Jan. 1992)
Add to wishlist