5.0 out of 5 stars A real favorite of mine!, April 24 2002
J. C Clark "eanna" (Overland Park, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ostro Picta Armata Spina/ Glo (Audio CD)
I love this recording. Emma Kirkby's voice compensates for all other (slight) deficiencies. She is truly a great singer: vivacious, lively, energetic and lovely. Her tone is sweet and pure; it is as if this music was written for her. The other vocalists, with the exception of the Michael Chance (his voice is just not to my taste), shine almost as brightly. The instrumental soloists are delightful.
Hickox is not a favorite conductor of mine, but on this one he hits it. And the recording is great. The violins are clear; often on recordings like this the instruments are buried or muddy. Here they are strong without overwhelming. Good balance, good sound, good material, and an extraordinary soloist surrounded by excellent ones. A delight from beginning to end. Don't miss it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good chorus, excellent soloists, Jan. 22 2002
Jeremy D Vosburgh (West Sand Lake, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ostro Picta Armata Spina/ Glo (Audio CD)
The only way I know how to describe this recording is "quite good." Nothing was done wrong and the enunciation and tone was general good to excellent (although not exceptional, which is what you desire from professionals). The strong point was definitely the soloists which if the cd had only been them I might have given it 5 stars.
Which is to say that this recording did have some great moments. There were a few songs which reminded me that the money I paid had been worth it. 1. Aria: Ostro Picta, Armata Spina - sung by the soprano Emma Kirkby was exceptional. as was her duet with Tessa Bonner in Gloria RV 589: 3. Duetto: Laudamus Te, which was done at a wonderfully brisk and bright pace and much emotion without too much virbrata.
I had originally wanted the cd because it was a relatively early recording for Michael Chance (former choral scholar countertenor at King's College) and John Mark Ainsley. Both were close to flawless and Bach's et misericordia (duet) was where they shined in this cd.
The Vivaldi choruses were unexciting for me (someone who has heard many recordings of them) as they were not of spectacular quality (although not bad by any means). They seemed to excite my fiancee, though, as this cd was the first she'd ever heard the glorias. Check out Philip Ledger's King's College recording of RV 589 if you desire to hear clear intonations and bright sound from the choruses. This cd, though, is one I listen to often because of the wonderful soloists and musicians and my four star rating means I would recommend it.

ARRAY(0xae0382d0)

Ostro Picta Armata Spina/ Glo
Ostro Picta Armata Spina/ Glo by Kirkby; Hickox; Chance (Audio CD - 1998)