5.0 out of 5 stars The best Fugazi album. Period.
Published on Jan. 2 2003 by shaneb_

3.0 out of 5 stars why is fugazi an imortant band?
im 16 years old and finally i succumbed to all the emo musicians and critics and i bought repeater.
fugazi writes average songs but i think its their indie credibility that preceeds them. I have listened to this record many times now, and other than the obvious lo-fi sounds and punk inspired lyrics i have no reason to label this album as "monumental" or...
Published on June 22 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Fugazi album. Period., Jan. 2 2003
shaneb_ (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Repeater/3 (Audio CD)
In my humble opinion "Repeater" is the best album Fugazi has ever made. Not only is it my favorite Fugazi album, it's one of my favorite albums of all time. It retains all the energy of the first 2 EP's (13 Songs) while evolving and exploring so many sounds and ideas. From the beginning of the album ("Turnover") until the end ("Shut The Door") it never has a weak moment. "Turnover" begins with the guitar volume swelling on the 12th fret and then has an amazing up and down musical structure as well as amazing lyricism from Guy Piccioto (who at this point was now singing, playing guitar and writing lyrics as well as Ian MacKaye). The title track "Repeater" is a huge burst of energy and emotional feedback as well as having a guitar riff in the chorus that only Fugazi could create. These are only the first two songs! This album changed the way I listen to music and really speaks to me on multiple levels. This album also would begin the amazing artistry and progression that Fugazi would carry on to their future albums. Remeber though, everything was born here on Repeater.

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical album, June 5 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Repeater/3 (Audio CD)
I consider this Fugazi's best, but then again what they've done in the past few albums is quite different. Today they've got going a more melodic, softer art-rock thing. Don't get me wrong, I do hold their latest works in very high esteem, they're just very different. With this album it's all about unbelievablu intense rhythms. Not simply fast tempo. But a lock-step between the bass and drums that could best be described as junglelike, seen at it's best on the title track. I heard it for the first time 11 years ago, and to this day the song 'Repeater' has got to be just about the sickest, most primal sounding thing I've ever heard. I can see some connections with the emo world in this release, the only thing is emo tends to be looked at as an emasculated form of music. This is anything but. Joe's voice does almost coin that style of singing, but in such a way that when everyone else sounds whiny, he projects power.
The first EPs showed the promise of this band to release a work like Repeater. IMO, the next release 'Steady Diet' was their low point, their most meandering and lacked focus in the songwriting - I'd call it their most blatantly emo. Killtaker captured some of the greatness of this disc (Smallpox Champion is my favorite Fugazi tune) and then they gravitated toward the current sound.
This band is also fantastic live... I wonder if they still work with every promotor to get it down to $5 at the door? You gotta account for inflation eventually.

5.0 out of 5 stars The pinnacle of Fugazi's work, April 15 2004
Scott Fendley (Zionsville, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Repeater/3 (Audio CD)
This collection is definitely the pinnacle of Fugazi's work for me. It holds its energy all the way through, yet doesn't wear you down like some of their other releases. If I was a Fugazi neophyte, I would start here.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not My Favorite Fugazi Album, Jan. 12 2004
This review is from: Repeater/3 (Audio CD)
I can't say that I like this Fugazi album...I was never big on their early stuff (although Minor Threat were amazing) but I really like "End-Hits" and "The Argument." However, on this, their second official release, they dance around approximately 2 musical ideas, employing monotone half-chord progressions and grey anger directed at nebulous sources. Some parts of this record are energetic and fleetingly exciting, but the majority of it is shapeless, tuneless vitriol that doesn't move me one bit. I can see why many people like this particular record, but I don't--just my opinion, though. I would recommend Fugazi's later material, it's more complex and ambitious while still retaining their distinctly hardcore sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars 10 Years Later, Dec 30 2003
Kevin P. Odonnell (Norristown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Repeater/3 (Audio CD)
When I was in school, all of the hip kids listened to Fugazi, so I picked up this CD. I didn't like it. Now, ten years later, I bought an ipod. I was going through all of the boxes of CDs that I have bought over the years, putting songs on my new toy. I decided to give Repeater another listen before I sold it to a used CD store, and suprise, I love the album now. It is really weird how your tastes in music change over the years. That was about 2 months ago and it is still all I listen to. I think I am going to pick up 13 Songs tommorow, because if I remember correctly, that was the album that all the hip kids had. At the age of 30, maybe I'm finally a hip kid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their pinnicle - what else to say?, Nov. 29 2003
This review is from: Repeater/3 (Audio CD)
Well, this - the album that made the rock community sit up and notice the talents of Fugazi, possibiliy the most uncompromising band in the world. The first 5 tracks alone make Repeater special and significant in today's manufactured and shallow climate - 'Turnover', 'Merchandise' & the title track are something to cherish unconditionally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your first stop for Fugazi., Nov. 9 2003
"vinylstorm" (the dirty south usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Repeater/3 (Audio CD)
If I had to recommend a Fugazi album to someone I knew nothing about (like you, dear anonymous reader) I would say, "Get yourself some Repeater now." As a piece of art, this CD works wonders on many levels and keeps offering new experiences every time I listen to it. Even after over 13 years, these songs refuse to give up their relentless pursuit of meaning and declaration. Fugazi will meet you where you are, but soon take you somewhere entirely different. And when you get there, you will wonder how you ever went without it.
Fugazi's first full-length, Repeater was reissued as a CD with 3 bonus tracks from the Subpop singles club to make it Repeater + 3 songs. Right away, before I even listened to the thing, I was impressed with Dischord's marketing tactic--give the people more music than they expect. I like that. It shows confidence in the music and respect for the consumer, with just a slight touch of completism. (This tends to be a theme running throughout all Fugazi's work, in my opinion.)
Turnover begins inauspiciously enough. The quietest of feedback fades in and out, waiting for something to happen. This goes on for about 20 seconds, then the introductions quickly begin. Brendan Canty feathers his high-hat and brings bassist Joe Lally with him to groove along to the guitar work. It is that tight looseness that Fugazi may well have a patent on, and before you know it Ian MacKaye's guitar explodes and Guy Picciotto is rocking the mic. The rhymes are there. The pre-emo sighing in tune is there. The French lyrics are there.
And yes, even the Beatles reference is there. "I'm only sleeping," Picciotto insists. But where John Lennon started a revolution from his bed (in another firearm LP known as Revolver), Picciotto's character just wants to turnover and pretend that this is all a bad dream. And he notices similar laziness in his antagonist's tactics when he does confront him, "Lounge against your weapons until your muscles rot locked in the ease of that position." What to do, what to do, with all the troubles outside?
No pause before the next song. MacKaye's restless Repeater lyrics spare no mercy for the tired man in Turnover. "When I need something I reach out and grab it," he responds. And then the whole problem is revealed: "Did you hear something outside? It sounded like a gun. Stay away from that window. It's not anyone that We know only about ourselves and what we read in the papers." We just do not know how much is wrong with this situation, and that is okay, because we still have twelve songs left to go. The papers can wait.
The two instrumentals serve their purpose. They give you a mental rest from the lyrical hailstorm that is the backbone of the album. Brendan #1 and Joe #1 provide a bright spotlight on Fugazi's young rhythm section, but take on deeper significance when they're considered as precursors to the more effective instrumentals that grace In On the Kill Taker and Red Medicine.
If what you're looking for is the catchiest example of early Fugazi's fist-shaking, big-chorus singalongs, look no further than Merchandise. This is a classic. Lines like "We owe you nothing. You have no control," and "You are not what you own," cannot be bolded or underlined enough to accurately describe the impact they had on punk rock and do-it-yourself. And it's not just the words, though they are beautiful. It's the delivery. It's the spit coming through your speakers and it's the little vein that pops out of MacKaye's forehead whenever he catches someone moshing or crowd-surfing. And it's the "No, thank you," with which Fugazi has turned down every major label contract offered to them. Merchandise stands alone.
Shut the Door follows up on the story first introduced to us in Suggestion, 13 Songs' rape account as seen through the eyes of the victim. While Suggestion said, "We are all guilty," Shut the Door pins the blame back on the individual who broke the surface. It is this attacker who is so aware of nothing but himself, whose persona MacKaye takes on to dramatic effect. He uses contradictory lines like "I burn a fire to stay cool," and "I tie my arms to be free," to paint this picture of a lost man who has absolutely no clue what is happening or where he is. "She's not breathing! She's not coming back!" MacKaye screams out at the top of his lungs as he fails to understand what he has done. The whole world collapses into a tiny room as the band dies down and MacKaye futilely begs someone to "shut the door so I can leave." The door remains open and what we see inside is terrifying, sad, and real. Where do we go from here? Is there any way out of this mess? Fugazi leaves these questions to their later albums, but the next step is hinted at in the first bonus track...
Song #1 is about many things. It has one of those all-purpose themes that just say, "Life is what you want it to be. Don't get tangled up trying to be free and don't worry what the other people see. It's nothing." And the word nothing is stretched out and played with to the point where nothing sounds like it could be something, but that is just to draw attention to how big nothing is. The point is that it is still nothing, really.
Repeater, as a whole, has its fair share of straightforward messages to offer on an initial surface listen. No Argument there. But give it just three spins, and you will discover much more than angry youth slogans and punk rock guitar octaves. You will find an enjoyable listening experience to last years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amongst the 'Post-Hardcore' scene's most important albums, Oct. 29 2003
This review is from: Repeater/3 (Audio CD)
Another of those deeply influential bands & Albums, that was embraced by anyone that listened to it, with lyrics that although angry & confrontational, aren't yelled at the listener lines such as "When I need something, I reach out and grab it!!," and "You are not what you own!!," enforce the points effectively, but most people also forget that this also one of the great guitar records of the 90's.....wait around 2 minutes into "Merchandise" for an anthemic guitar explosions that easily impresses, with its skilful rhythmic interjection are instantly memorable,and the rousing "Sieve-Fisted Find" show that Fugazi can mix serious lyrical content with aggressive rhythmic sections and still sound completely Relevant. In fact the only real criticism (and this isn't really a criticism of the album), is that It remained (mostly) the preserve of the Indie Crowd.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 2 3 repeater, May 26 2003
JDG (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Repeater/3 (Audio CD)
The title track is still one of the most badass songs in history. This album is a true classic. The instrumentals are nuts. These guys can really jam and Ian M has killer vocals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible! But don't buy it here., Dec 12 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Repeater/3 (Audio CD)
Once again, Fugazi kicks some major punk rear on this awesome album. It's so powerful and driven...if you've never heard Fugazi or have some friends that are curious, just hand them this. It's an appropriate introduction to the best, most influential band ever. Some favorites are Turnover, Shut the Door, Merchandise, and Repeater. Just make sure to pick up a copy from Dischord Records, because this is honest music, and it's a lot cheaper straight from the source.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Repeater/3
Repeater/3 by Fugazi (Audio CD - 2007)