Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store Fall Tools

1989-1994 From The Muddy Bank
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$15.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 85 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on December 20, 2003
In my opinion this is a great way for any Nirvana fan to start their collection. It has many of their great songs on it such as Heart Shaped Box, 'Teen spirit, Sliver, and Lithium and most times some songs such as lithium and drain you sound better live than in they do on Nevermind, because on nevermind they sound too soft. The only dissapointment was that some very important songs in the Nirvana song catologue are missing such as: Rape Me, Dive, About a Girl and All apologies, but even without these songs this album is on of my favorite Nirvana albums, and my favorite non-studio album.
on January 6, 2003
Originally intended to be released as a double cd along with "Unplugged: Live in NY," this album is THE perfect way for anyone interested in Nirvana to start their collection. As Krist says in the liner notes, "Nirvana started as a live band..." This CD is an excellent sampling of Nirvana's canon in their element...the stage. There is an added slice of attitude in these live versions of the songs that solidify what Nirvana was about. Several songs on the album stand shoulder-to-shoulder with their studio versions if not better. Several I enjoy listening to more than the studio cuts. The best part about "Wishka" is the track selection: you can tell that a true fan compiled this cd (instead of say the greatest hits cd)...hits like Lithium and Heart-Shaped Box are found along side Blew and Spank Thru...spanning the band's career from Bleach to Utero. In conclusion, anyone who is genuinely interested in getting into this great band should pick this album up before Nevermind and (definitely) before the greatest hits album and the real Nirvana fans would miss an integral part of what Nirvana was about without it.
on November 18, 2002
I really love this album. It gives you a real taste of what Nirvana was like in concert. The editing is such that it seems that you are listening to one whole concert, even though the album is culled from many live performances. Here are the tracks:
1 - Intro - Just a cut of pre-show noise. Has some conversation between Kurt and Krist. Then Kurt screams for some fun, and then we get...
2 - School - This is a "Bleach" cut. It's really well done. It churns and smashes in true form. It isn't the best, but it's a good starter.
3 - Drain You - Kurt's vocals are great. Very raw and it's a great reinterpretation. I would say better than studio, which is saying a lot.
4 - Aneurysm - I love this take. The vocals are hilarious. It's really tight.
5 - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Not even close to the studio version, but it's cool to hear Krist stomp on his distortion pedal during Kurt's solo.
6 - Been A Son - This is a marvelous cover of a Vaselines song. Bursts with energy and it rocks. Kurt loved the Vaselines, and it really shows.
7 - Lithium - I hate this one. The whole take is sharp. Not even close to studio.
8 - Sliver - Krist is so good in the beginning. His tone is awesome. Pat's entrance is marked by some horrific feedback. Kurt concentrated harder on his vocals on the "In Utero" tour, so I think there's more guitar from Pat. Pat's always on the left channel.
9 - Spank Thru - There is a reason why they didn't release this on "Incesticide" or anything else. ...
10 - Scentless Apprentice - For my money, I'd say this track is the best on the album. Bar none. If you listen to the left channel alone on this, you can see why Pat was an idol to both Kurt and Dave. Everyone is in great form, but this is really Pat's track. His distortion is the best EVER. Much, much better than the "In Utero" version, and that was one of my favorite cuts on "In Utero". The fast tempo is great.
11 - Heart-Shaped Box - This is nowhere near "In Utero"'s version. Kurt's solo here though is awesome. Heavy, heavy chorus effect on his solo.
12 - Milk It - Again, Pat is in great form. Listen to him on the left channel (for those of you who don't know what I mean, pan to the left speaker alone.) He's great. Recorded shortly before Kurt died. Really good. It does sound like a Rotovibe is used, although I know no one in Nirvana ever used one. Something with the mixing?
13 - Negative Creep - Pure headbanging enjoyment! I love that thing about "Great Caesar's ghost!" at the beginning.
14 - Polly - Pretty [bad] prethink of the song. It is truly meant to be acoustic and slow, or clean electric when there isn't an acoustic around.
15 - Breed - Don't like this too much either. Channing's drumming is inferior to Grohl's drumming, and you just need that distorted bass.
16 - Tourette's - Krist's intro is simply hilarious. I love the first title - "The Eagle Has Landed". But it needed that thing about "moderate rock" at the beginning.
17 - Blew - So sweet. Great way to end. Double bass drumming!
Great live album.
on April 7, 2004
Ten years without Kurt cobain and his music still lives. This concert was recorded ten years back, and the cd quality for a live album is amazing. In this album you heir songs from all nirvana albums. They perform their songs so well; it's like your hearing the recorded. Without the crowd going yeah and it wont sound that well. Like it wont sound exactly like it but it's still pretty cool. This live record is also kind of unknown, like not a lot of people no about this album. The sound of Dave Grohls drumming, the sound of Krist Noveselics base, and the guitar and voice of Kurt Cobain, makes an incredible band and makes a great live performance by 3 guys from Seattle.
In this album you heir what some people say is better than the original recording is the version of Tourette's. Which I think the original recording of Tourette's. This album you can like the songs they perform in this album better than the recording of the original. In this album the song I like better than the recording is "Lithium". I like this version better, so for as "smells like teen spirit". This is a very must if you are a true hardcore Nirvana fans. You will not regret buying this great live album.
on October 20, 2003
Have you ever wanted to go to a Nirvana concert but weren't ever able to go?Maybe they didn't come to your area or you didn't have the money or time or a ride but for whatever reason,you weren't able to go.
Well,put on your headphones,push play,close your eyes and your there.You're there when Kurt starts playing the riff to Smells like teen spirit,and the audience goes crazy as they recognize it,see,this cd is the ticket you never had,and as you hear these songs you love being played live and with an urgent passion it's not impossible to imagine you're actually at one of their concerts,right next to the speakers,bumping against sweaty,angst filled,flannel wearing teenagers in the moshpit, feeling that incredible release.Indeed perhaps you can see Kurt up there with his blonde hair flailing as he screams into the microphone "A denial" at the top of his lungs over and over and in that moment you know that you're not just listening to nirvana,you're EXPERIENCING nirvana,to me,THAT'S what this cd's about,when you can be there,without ever having gone.
on August 1, 2003
Nirvana fans will rejoice to hear the angst and strengh of this release. It's heavier and more emotional than any of the studio albums and represents Nirvana at their best: LIVE.
The album's intro will leave you scratching your head, but the remainder is just great! Some recording are even better than the studio versions such as "Sliver" "Drain You" "Aneurism" and a new version of "Polly" wich I personally like better than the other 3 versions.
Hits like "Smell Like Teen Spirit" and "Heart Shaped Box" kick @ss really hard. Others are more somber like "Blew" and "Drain You."
Over all you get a very well deserved "Greatest Hits Live" of Nirvana. If you already own all the albums you will more than likely still don't have "Spank Thru" a rare song, which is all right, good early Nirvana.
Highlights: "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Aneurism", "Drain You"
on July 26, 2003
I got this CD thanks to VH1 when they had a show on called ''1oo Greatest moments that rocked tv.''So then they showed Nirvana playing Smells like Teen Spirit! I always wanted to find out who sang that song and it was them!! A few days later I went to Best Buy with my mom and got this CD! Then I heard the song again but on VH1, they didn't mention the songs name so I had to find out from this CD. I practically listened to this CD every single day non-stop! When you get this CD,(hopefully you will one day)you will probably listen to it at least twice a day. But make sure you don't blast it loud by your parents room I mean this CD is pretty loud because after all it's live! I am a 15 year old teenager and still love Nirvana. When I listen to this CD, it makes me feel like Kurt is still alive in my heart. And also you do not want to turn this CD on very loud so that your parents can hear you first thing in the morning! This CD is my alarm clock. Run to Best Buy and get this CD now!!!Peace out Nirvana fans!
on July 26, 2003
on March 7, 2003
This album has some of my favorite nirvana songs on it. It may even be just as good (if not, better) than "unplugged".
If you've ever heard nirvana live, you'd probably think they sound pretty bad, but this is some nirvana's best live stuff.
Here are the songs:
Intro: 7:10
I skip right over this, always.
School: 10/10
A pretty good song off "Bleach". It's a great song to begin the album with.
Drain you: 9/10
A pretty good song, but Kurt's voice gets aggravating after a while. The studio version ("Nevermind") is much better.
Aneurysm: 10/10
This version is probably just as good as in the studio. It's a lot louder, and it gives you that live feel.
Smells like teen sprit: 10/10
Of course, this song is on here. This version is much faster, and I like the way the bass is distorted during the solo.
Been a son: 10/10
Out of the 3 versions this song has (Incesticide, muddy banks, Greatest hits), I think this is the best take.
Lithium: 9/10
Not quite as good as the studio version, but getting there.
Silver: 9/10
Kurt's voice is all messed up during the begging, it is still okay. It is also much faster.
Spank thru: 10/10
This is the one "Unrealeased" song on the album. Don't be turned off by the western beggining!!! If you can manage to download the studio version, that is also great.
Scentless apprentace: 10/10
I actually like this more than the "In Utero" version.
Heart shaped box: 9/10
This isn't as good as the studio, but I like the chorus effects during the solo.
Milk it: 9/10
if I would have reviewed this any earlier, I would have given it a 6, but I got into it after a while.
Neg. Creep: 9/10
Another great song from "Bleach". Notice he says "Daddy's little girl" instead of "Johnny's little girl" on this version.
Polly: 10/10
I think this is better than the "New wave" version (Incesticide), but not quite as good as the slow version (Nevermind). By the way, is this song even live? Why isn't anyone clapping???
Breed: 9/10
That distorted bass on the "Nevermind" version gets on my nerves, so I like this version a little better. By the way, Chad Channing plays drums on "Polly" and "Breed" just to let you know.
Tourette's: 10/10
Kurt really is saying lyrics! This version is also a little longer than the "In Utero" version.
Blew: 10/10
This is actually much better than on "Bleach". I like the drumming too (by Dave Grohl, not Chad Channing). A great way to end the album.
Overall, get this album if you have every other album and are afraid to hear them live, and you're afraid you won't like it (thats what I did), buy it anyway. You won't regret it.
on December 11, 2001
The main gripe with this album seems to be its sloppy playing or its track selection. Yes, the versions of 'Breed' and 'Heart-Shaped Box' are a little off. Maybe the studio version of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was better. 'Scentless Apprentice' may not have had the same quality vocals as the studio version.
That was intended by Grohl and Novoselic. Unplugged was a GREAT release. Just about every magazine and music website recommends that you own it. It was very polished but it was very downbeat; 'Muddy Banks...' is the exact opposite. It's full of life, it's sloppy, it's LOUD, it's what Nirvana should be remembered as. Nirvana didn't break into the music industry as a depressing, acoustic band to touch our hearts. They were faster, louder, more emotional, and better than all that worthless pop that dominated the charts in the early 90s. Dave Grohl and Kris Novoselic wanted Nirvana to be remembered like that, and they did a great job of it.
As for the song selection - maybe it wasn't what everyone wanted. There's no such thing as a perfect compilation cd. I'm sure lots of people wanted a live version of 'Rape Me' or a better version of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit.' 'In Bloom' would've been great and maybe some more tracks from 'In Utero.' Unreleased stuff would've ben equally as nice! The song selection on here is a good representative selection of (except for a couple songs) Nirvana, including mostly uncommercial songs like 'Negative Creep' and 'Milk It' (meaning people who only liked 'Teen Spirit' won't like this release a whole lot except for that one song). THIS IS ESSENTIAL Nirvana material, anybody who says otherwise is wrong. Oh, and check out that punked-out electric version of 'Polly.'