5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Simply the Greatest Album ever created.
Published on July 18 2004 by Collin Ainge

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible vinyl mastering
When my copy of Mellon Collie... arrived in the mail, I was beyond stoked. Beatiful packaging, shipped securely so that everything arrived perfect. I opened it up, put disc 1 on the platter, and was saddened to see that the grooves go nearly to the label, maybe a quarter inch of dead wax. With only 4 songs on side 1, at 33 RPM, there should be no reason for the grooves...
Published 16 months ago by Philip Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Simply the Greatest Album ever created., July 18 2004
Collin Ainge (Provo, UT, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (Audio CD)
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is the greatest combination of musical genius ever created. I feel that Billy Corgan achieved Musical Immortality with the earth shattering collection that is these two CDs. A huge collection of all types of rock, so no matter what your flavor, you will find it all in this stunning variety. It's the only album I have ever listened to that I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of the songs. Galapogos, Tonight, Tonight, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Stumbleine, and Zero rank among my all time favorite songs. I completely recommend the collection of B-Sides from this album found in the "Aeroplane Flies High" box set. If you have never heard of the Smashing Pumpkins (Shame, if you haven't) or simply have never picked up this album, do now, as you will enjoy it till the end of time. It's just too bad the greatest band ever formed is no longer around, but their music will live on forever

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vinyl Boxset, Dec 29 2013
I was apprehensive about buying this boxset because I had read so many negative reviews about it's audio quality (I think Zero was supposed to sound pretty distorted and I want to say that I read something about records being pressed off center). The copy that I received didn't have either of these issues. It sounds great. The album art and included booklets are really interesting. There are notes on each song written by Billy that shed light on the band and the writing and recording processes. Definitely a worthwhile purchase if you're a Smashing Pumpkins fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Box Set, Nov. 22 2013
Happy that I purchased this item.
Expensive set but great addition to collection.
I love this Band. Excellent artwork and 4 LPs

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, way nicer than expected!, Oct. 1 2013
A. Jones "A. Jones" (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I already knew I loved the album of course, but I was not expecting this item to be so impressive as far as production and packaging goes. It's a great deal for what you get!! A really beautiful presentation of the album, with two booklets included, one with the lyrics and everything, and one with a history of the band/album. A really well put together album (really a box-set!).

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems with the vinyl!, July 28 2013
theDarkIn1978 (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
Other people have been reporting that there are distortion issues with "Zero" and other parts of the LPs, but everything plays perfectly fine for me. This is truly a great reissue. The included book containing the memoirs of the album is a very nice touch. Personally, I would have prefered if they kept the original cover since it's such an iconic album cover from the 90s, but the original cover image is on the included book so it's certainly not missing. The LPs are quite hefty, i'm assuming 200g, and the box itself is quite sturdy and heavy, which I actually use as a bookend for my other vinyl records.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, June 14 2013
This vinyl box set was more than I expected. Unfortunately each disc skips at the end of the last song on both sides... but I'm sure that can be buffed out, (i hope) ... besides that, the booklets that came with it are amazing and it was delivered so quickly after purchase. Well worth the money! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, June 5 2013
Great Sound, great booklet! Best Smashing ever released on Vinyl if you have no longer a record player, go on and buy one`!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, April 18 2013
I love the Smashing Pumpkins and this Vinyl set is amazing.
I have this set on cd and wanted to get it on vinyl I so glad I did but for anyone as a gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful reissue, but don't expect anything different, Feb. 11 2013
The context of this review concerns the vinyl reissue, played back via my Linn Sondek (Ekos arm and Akiva cartridge). I was concerned from previous reviews that the mastering was going to be flawed due to squeezing too much music onto each side, but in the context of my system there was no inner groove distortion at all or tracking problems. I would suggest to those who have distortion issues that they consider purchasing a better cartridge such as the Audio Technica OC9, which sounds wonderful for the money, and can sail through any challenge. To complain about tracking is like putting cheap tires on your Porsche and complaining that it can't corner well. Back to the reissue though. This is easily the most lavish reissue I've ever purchased, and not bad value at the current price of $65 on Amazon. The box, book, and inner art sleeves are wonderful touches, and the records come in audiophile sleeves which is a nice addition I wish more labels would adopt. The sound is fine, but I don't find it any better than my original CD played back via my Linn Karik transport and Theta Casablanca Extreme DAC. There is a nice warmth to the vocals that the cd lacks, but there is also a hint of even more compression -- if that's possible. In this day and age though, sadly louder must be better. In short, I'm sure this reissue will give me years of pleasure due to its decent sound quality and lavish packaging, but if you're looking for the audiophile version of this keep waiting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of all time, May 15 2005
mikepumpkins (hamilton, ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (Audio CD)
This album is so good!!!!
The diversity here is amazing!!! As a hardcore fan, there is no filler, but even a close to hardcore fan will love most of this.
It has 28 songs!!!!! Which other proper album has 28 songs???
This is the best smashing pumpkins release. They are the best band of all time. I have been a fan since 1998. Dec 2, 2000 was one of the worst days in history because the pumpkins broke up. They are sadly missed by me and millions of fellow obsessed pumpkins fans. Get this; if there's one album you need in your collection; if you hate everything else; if you can only buy 1 album in a lifetime; get this!!!!
Get this !!!!! Now !!!!!

ARRAY(0xa8aaaa74)

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness by Smashing Pumpkins (Audio CD - 1995)