5.0 out of 5 stars I love this Band!
The Cranberries what an awesome band!! They are sooooo good Dolores has soooo much meaning in her songs!! This is a great CD!!
Published on Oct. 24 2003 by Sarah Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine first effort by the Cranberries
Published on May 1 2002 by woburnmusicfan

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this Band!, Oct. 24 2003
Sarah Wood (Zion, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars An achingly beautiful, simply amazing debut album, March 29 2003
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
This remarkable CD is, in my opinion, the most remarkable debut album I have ever heard. I fell in love with the song Linger as soon as I heard it, so I naturally went right out and bought the album. I was impressed then and I'm still impressed. This music is so distinctive and achingly beautiful that it remains as fresh and enjoyable now, all these years later, as it did then. It is ironic that an album with such a long name features songs with short titles, but the overall disc really takes precedence over the individual songs. I actually have trouble remembering the title for each song, but this is primarily because this album is almost organic in its completeness, simply teeming with life and substance. I just don't put this CD in the drive and listen to a song here or there; I have to experience the whole thing every time I play it. I'm not sure how this distinctive type of music should be classified; I don't know if its primary influence is Welsh or Celtic or something else. All I know is that Dolores O'Riordan has the most distinctive voice I have ever heard, and her vocals make each song hauntingly beautiful and absolutely amazing. This album creates a surreal atmosphere inside your mind and really and truly hypnotizes you with its power. I love every single song on here; Linger is of course my favorite, while I Still Do and Dreams stand out slightly from the crowd, but the quality of this music is spread lavishly from start to finish. This is as polished and unbelievably complete an album as a group or artist can hope to deliver. Even the Cranberries, as much as I love their music, have never quite been able to recapture the magic of this first album.
I will end my lavish praise of this CD by pointing out the great utility of its music. This album is perfect for just about any occasion or any mood. If you are feeling good, this music reinforces and increases your happiness; if you are feeling sad and lonely, it touches your heart and helps you indulge your blue mood in a way that refreshes you; if you are angry, it calms you down with its hypnotizing calmness. Many are the nights I have played this album to help me calm down and go to sleep. Few albums can boast this sort of utility; this is music that fits every mood and never fails to move me in some way. If I live to be 100, I will still be turning the old hearing aid up and listening to this album on a regular basis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well... 3 and a half, Feb. 28 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
This is a finely crafted pop album. Dolores O'Riordan doesn't have quite the power and intensity of Sinnead O'Connor's banshee wail, but she brings her truth to most of the songs hear. The reason I enjoy this album, though, is that "Linger" was playing when I realized that my relationship with a certain special someone was over. "Linger" is currently making the pop play-lists on L.A. radio, and my heart breaks every time I hear it. Any album that can evoke a memory with that intensity just HAS to have something going for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent debut, Feb. 15 2003
David Bonesteel (Fresno, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
A collection of delicate, ethereal tunes that bear repeated listening. Dolores O'Riorden's distinctive vocals give this disc a dreamy, melancholy quality. Radio hits "Dreams" and "Linger" are the standout tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a masterpiece...., Feb. 1 2003
Kellie (Toledo, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
This album, their debut, is no doubt their deepest and most meaningful work. It contains probably their biggest hit "Dreams" and several others that I have heard on the radio. "Dreams" is a beautiful piece, the music is haunting and Dolores's voice is very soft and pretty. "Sunday" is my favorite track on the whole album, the beginning is very beautiful and it goes into a nice poppy-sounding beat. "Pretty" is good, but not outstanding."Waltzing back" is beatiful,a very good track. "Not sorry" is nice sounding, pleasing to the ear, "Linger" is another classic, it's nice and soft and the strings are a nice touch."Wanted" didn't really touch me that much, "Still can't" is a nice track, but a bit of a filler, "I will always" is very soft and her voice conveys the meaning of the song very well. "How" is a nice punkish-rock piece, "Put me down" is haunting and another one of my favorites. So, in conclusion, if you're looking for music that will relax you and make you think, this is definitely the album you're looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply their best, Dec 29 2002
david reinhart (new haven, indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
Why isn't this CD widely accepted as the the Cranberries' greatest? AWESOME music. Will be regarded as the best album of the Nineties twenty years from now. Listen to and study each song. Great talent! I LOVE DOLORES!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Angst, Anger and Love All in One, Nov. 11 2002
Lonnie E. Holder "The Review's the Thing" (Columbus, Indiana, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
This CD was The Cranberries' first, and was refreshing even though they deviated little from middle of the road pop. Perhaps it was the combination of Dolores O'Riordan's lovely Irish voice delivered periodically in a grunge style that made this debut so fun to listen to. In general the music here is safe, though the lyrics sometimes are not. The Cranberries have a history of choosing sometimes distressing topics for their music. It can sometimes be uncomfortable to confront their world, which seems to be so tainted by despair and a variety of angst.
"I Still Do" is an angst-ridden track, heavy on mellow bass, about someone who is in love, and wants to break it off, even though the person is still in love. The reason for breaking it off is not clear, and perhaps it need not be. This song is the generic break up song when you have mixed feelings about the relationship, but realize that it is in at least one person's best interests to end the relationship.
We go from the angst of a possibly impossible relationship to the dream relationship in "Dreams", which was also featured in "You've Got Mail". A pretty, fast-paced, song, Dolores tells her significant other that she has given herself to him, and he now has her heart, so please don't hurt her. Even more, she also says that she is amazed by his mind and how caring and understanding he is. The ethereal music with a rock beat I personally find to be very satisfying.
We go back to angst again with "Sunday". This time the singer cares for or loves someone, but can't seem to make the connection. This situation has happened to me, and I'll bet it's happened to many of you. Dolores starts singing this one is a grunge style, slowly, then the pace picks up and the song attains a solidly pop beat. Seems like anything Dolores sings is pretty.
"Pretty" has throwaway lyrics to vaguely blues-sounding music with heavy bass. Dolores gets to trill her voice in that endearing way. My guess is that the intent of the lyrics is to be there for the sound more than for the meaning. It works!
"Waltzing Back" is an angry song. How did these people come back into your life? They are going to take you away from me. It's not fair. In the end, there's nothing she can do about it, because it's your life. It doesn't mean she has to be happy about it.
I really like this next song. The style of "Sorry" makes solid use of Dolores' ability to hit those high notes. This song is combination anger and angst, she's upset and angry, but at the same time, you sense that she wanted it to work out. She still misses him, but is still angry too. The rock beat in the background punctuates her anger with heavy bass and percussion, and a fast beat. There is a good contrast musically between her bluesy angst laments and her anger.
The Cranberries love angst about love. "Linger" tells how she saw her significant other with someone else, and communicates the hurt she feels. She wonders why he can't just go with her instead of letting her believe that they have any hope of a relationship. This song is all string laments, solid angst.
And the angst just keeps on rolling with "Wanted". A fast-paced song, here Dolores sings about the communication gap between two people, and their ability to understand each other's needs. Just what is it you want, what are you trying to say?
"Still Can't..." starts acoustically, and then takes off with bass and backing drums. Dolores' sultry voice expresses her anger that her significant other is telling lies about the situation between her and him. He won't apologize, he's laughing about the situation behind her back. I don't think I'd want to be the other person in this song.
"I Will Always" expresses the simple thought that she gives everything of herself to him. He needs to do whatever he will do, and she'll be there. The music here is slow and mellow, Dolores sings very slowly, mournfully, she still manages to hit the high notes with a grunge flavor, even though it's not really a grunge song. Grunge blues maybe.
I get the feeling that "How" is The Cranberries version of "You're so Vain", sung by Carly Simon. The words express how he is self-centered, and he left her alone, at least emotionally, if not physically. Dolores was looking for a closeness that he isn't providing. Heavy drum beat in this relatively fast-paced song.
"Put Me Down" again makes such wonderful use of Dolores' voice. Sultry to start, and then going for the high notes. The topic of the song is pretty much like the title says. She keeps getting put down; she keeps trying, but keeps getting treated like a second-class person. Lovely song to finish off the CD.
This CD is full of heavily orchestrated music, very well played. Dolores has an incredible vocal range, and the Irish accent adds something to these songs. There are so many influences, it's hard to categorize the music. I call it lovely and mellow, and my favorite Cranberries CD. Five stars plus from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Should Understand Music Before You Rate It, Oct. 5 2002
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
It's so fun reading other reviews because you learn something about the CD and the other people reviewing the CD. You also realize that there are as many goals for an artist in creating a CD as there are in the listeners of the CD.
In the case of this CD, Dolores O'Riordan and company tried to create something totally different from everyone else. The music has a pop flavor, but generally isn't pop. The music also has a "world" flavor, which is where Enya is classed, but the music is not world either. There are a few moments where the music has a progressive flavor, but the music is not progressive either. Guess what. This music is unique.
Stick to the comparisons already made. The Cranberries are not wannabe Enyas. They wanted to create their own style, and they did.
Of the three Cranberries CDs I own, this one is my personal favorite. Dolores moans and emotes her way through selection after selection, and focuses more on establishing a feeling than the lyrics. Occasionally lyrics pop through clearly and simply enough that you find yourself singing along for brief moments and humming the rest.
This music is mood music. It is somewhat cohesive throughout, which for some people can seem boring. I like the emotional concept which forms a theme, and I always wish the CD had been longer when I get to the end. When I'm in the proper mood, I can listen to this CD for hours. When I'm out of the mood, the CD will sit on the shelf for months.
Having said all that, a few of the selections stand out on this excellent CD. "Dreams" has gotten a lot of air play, and is one of the best cuts. "Linger" is an awesome tune that crossing the fine line into pop. "Put Me Down" is another song that is similar in feeling to these.
For something with a lounge flavor, try "I Will Always". Music to be morose by. Definitely music to get wasted by, though the emotional side effects can be stressful.
The pace in a few of these songs does pick up a little bit, most notably with "How". However, none of these are intended to be speedy. The Cranberries spread their emotion viscously thick, and you get stuck wallowing in it and through it. While many people can't handle that much emotional content in their music, I love it.
As with many of the CDs I tend to buy and review, this one is definitely not for everyone. Dolores is a wailer. Her voice has a lot of highs and she occasionally stretches her voice to screeches and nearly yells, in a way with the panache of Bjork, but I think more musically coherent than Bjork, who is more of an experimentalist by my standards.
Your best bet is to review the other artists against whom I compare The Cranberries, and even better would be to borrow a copy of this CD or "No Need to Argue", which has a lot of similarity to this CD. If you can handle the emotional content, and Dolores' voice, you are going to find this is an outstanding selection.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine first effort by the Cranberries, May 1 2002
woburnmusicfan (Woburn, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
The Cranberries first album has a great sound to it, which the songwriting hadn't caught up to yet. Singer Dolores O'Riordan has a lovely, unique voice. The singles, "Dreams" and "Linger", are easily the best songs here. Of the remainder, "How" is very good. I enjoy this album whenever I listen to it, but there are several songs that don't leave any lasting impression.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real stunner, April 24 2002
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
This is perhaps the best Cranberries album that showcases their talent. As wonderful as their later material was, there will always be the magic of 'Everybody's Doing It'. Perhaps the Cranberries' better known songs, 'Linger' and 'Dreams' are on here and are undoubtedly among the group's best ever songs.
There's certainly no mistaking the Irish lilt of lead singer Doloros's vocals, and they work wonderfully here as they can either be bouncy and light or mournful and ethereal. What's most impressive though is that the Cranberries have taken a hint of The Sundays and made a fantastic crossover success with their unmistakeably pop melodies.
Aside from the gorgeous 'Linger', this is mostly a very upbeat album and no the worse for it. Out of the album tracks my favourites are the delightful 'Waltzing Back' and 'Sunday'. The Cranberries are a truly great band, and this is definitely their best album.

Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by Cranberries (Audio CD - 1993)