5.0 out of 5 stars An achingly beautiful, simply amazing debut album
Published on March 29 2003 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars The Cranberries can do so much more . .
Published on Dec 26 2001 by N1AK

5.0 out of 5 stars An achingly beautiful, simply amazing debut album, March 29 2003
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
This remarkable CD is, in my opinion, the most remarkable debut album I have ever heard. I fell in love with the song Linger as soon as I heard it, so I naturally went right out and bought the album. I was impressed then and I'm still impressed. This music is so distinctive and achingly beautiful that it remains as fresh and enjoyable now, all these years later, as it did then. It is ironic that an album with such a long name features songs with short titles, but the overall disc really takes precedence over the individual songs. I actually have trouble remembering the title for each song, but this is primarily because this album is almost organic in its completeness, simply teeming with life and substance. I just don't put this CD in the drive and listen to a song here or there; I have to experience the whole thing every time I play it. I'm not sure how this distinctive type of music should be classified; I don't know if its primary influence is Welsh or Celtic or something else. All I know is that Dolores O'Riordan has the most distinctive voice I have ever heard, and her vocals make each song hauntingly beautiful and absolutely amazing. This album creates a surreal atmosphere inside your mind and really and truly hypnotizes you with its power. I love every single song on here; Linger is of course my favorite, while I Still Do and Dreams stand out slightly from the crowd, but the quality of this music is spread lavishly from start to finish. This is as polished and unbelievably complete an album as a group or artist can hope to deliver. Even the Cranberries, as much as I love their music, have never quite been able to recapture the magic of this first album.
I will end my lavish praise of this CD by pointing out the great utility of its music. This album is perfect for just about any occasion or any mood. If you are feeling good, this music reinforces and increases your happiness; if you are feeling sad and lonely, it touches your heart and helps you indulge your blue mood in a way that refreshes you; if you are angry, it calms you down with its hypnotizing calmness. Many are the nights I have played this album to help me calm down and go to sleep. Few albums can boast this sort of utility; this is music that fits every mood and never fails to move me in some way. If I live to be 100, I will still be turning the old hearing aid up and listening to this album on a regular basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a masterpiece...., Feb. 1 2003
Kellie (Toledo, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
This album, their debut, is no doubt their deepest and most meaningful work. It contains probably their biggest hit "Dreams" and several others that I have heard on the radio. "Dreams" is a beautiful piece, the music is haunting and Dolores's voice is very soft and pretty. "Sunday" is my favorite track on the whole album, the beginning is very beautiful and it goes into a nice poppy-sounding beat. "Pretty" is good, but not outstanding."Waltzing back" is beatiful,a very good track. "Not sorry" is nice sounding, pleasing to the ear, "Linger" is another classic, it's nice and soft and the strings are a nice touch."Wanted" didn't really touch me that much, "Still can't" is a nice track, but a bit of a filler, "I will always" is very soft and her voice conveys the meaning of the song very well. "How" is a nice punkish-rock piece, "Put me down" is haunting and another one of my favorites. So, in conclusion, if you're looking for music that will relax you and make you think, this is definitely the album you're looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Angst, Anger and Love All in One, Nov. 11 2002
Lonnie E. Holder "The Review's the Thing" (Columbus, Indiana, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
This CD was The Cranberries' first, and was refreshing even though they deviated little from middle of the road pop. Perhaps it was the combination of Dolores O'Riordan's lovely Irish voice delivered periodically in a grunge style that made this debut so fun to listen to. In general the music here is safe, though the lyrics sometimes are not. The Cranberries have a history of choosing sometimes distressing topics for their music. It can sometimes be uncomfortable to confront their world, which seems to be so tainted by despair and a variety of angst.
"I Still Do" is an angst-ridden track, heavy on mellow bass, about someone who is in love, and wants to break it off, even though the person is still in love. The reason for breaking it off is not clear, and perhaps it need not be. This song is the generic break up song when you have mixed feelings about the relationship, but realize that it is in at least one person's best interests to end the relationship.
We go from the angst of a possibly impossible relationship to the dream relationship in "Dreams", which was also featured in "You've Got Mail". A pretty, fast-paced, song, Dolores tells her significant other that she has given herself to him, and he now has her heart, so please don't hurt her. Even more, she also says that she is amazed by his mind and how caring and understanding he is. The ethereal music with a rock beat I personally find to be very satisfying.
We go back to angst again with "Sunday". This time the singer cares for or loves someone, but can't seem to make the connection. This situation has happened to me, and I'll bet it's happened to many of you. Dolores starts singing this one is a grunge style, slowly, then the pace picks up and the song attains a solidly pop beat. Seems like anything Dolores sings is pretty.
"Pretty" has throwaway lyrics to vaguely blues-sounding music with heavy bass. Dolores gets to trill her voice in that endearing way. My guess is that the intent of the lyrics is to be there for the sound more than for the meaning. It works!
"Waltzing Back" is an angry song. How did these people come back into your life? They are going to take you away from me. It's not fair. In the end, there's nothing she can do about it, because it's your life. It doesn't mean she has to be happy about it.
I really like this next song. The style of "Sorry" makes solid use of Dolores' ability to hit those high notes. This song is combination anger and angst, she's upset and angry, but at the same time, you sense that she wanted it to work out. She still misses him, but is still angry too. The rock beat in the background punctuates her anger with heavy bass and percussion, and a fast beat. There is a good contrast musically between her bluesy angst laments and her anger.
The Cranberries love angst about love. "Linger" tells how she saw her significant other with someone else, and communicates the hurt she feels. She wonders why he can't just go with her instead of letting her believe that they have any hope of a relationship. This song is all string laments, solid angst.
And the angst just keeps on rolling with "Wanted". A fast-paced song, here Dolores sings about the communication gap between two people, and their ability to understand each other's needs. Just what is it you want, what are you trying to say?
"Still Can't..." starts acoustically, and then takes off with bass and backing drums. Dolores' sultry voice expresses her anger that her significant other is telling lies about the situation between her and him. He won't apologize, he's laughing about the situation behind her back. I don't think I'd want to be the other person in this song.
"I Will Always" expresses the simple thought that she gives everything of herself to him. He needs to do whatever he will do, and she'll be there. The music here is slow and mellow, Dolores sings very slowly, mournfully, she still manages to hit the high notes with a grunge flavor, even though it's not really a grunge song. Grunge blues maybe.
I get the feeling that "How" is The Cranberries version of "You're so Vain", sung by Carly Simon. The words express how he is self-centered, and he left her alone, at least emotionally, if not physically. Dolores was looking for a closeness that he isn't providing. Heavy drum beat in this relatively fast-paced song.
"Put Me Down" again makes such wonderful use of Dolores' voice. Sultry to start, and then going for the high notes. The topic of the song is pretty much like the title says. She keeps getting put down; she keeps trying, but keeps getting treated like a second-class person. Lovely song to finish off the CD.
This CD is full of heavily orchestrated music, very well played. Dolores has an incredible vocal range, and the Irish accent adds something to these songs. There are so many influences, it's hard to categorize the music. I call it lovely and mellow, and my favorite Cranberries CD. Five stars plus from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Should Understand Music Before You Rate It, Oct. 5 2002
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
It's so fun reading other reviews because you learn something about the CD and the other people reviewing the CD. You also realize that there are as many goals for an artist in creating a CD as there are in the listeners of the CD.
In the case of this CD, Dolores O'Riordan and company tried to create something totally different from everyone else. The music has a pop flavor, but generally isn't pop. The music also has a "world" flavor, which is where Enya is classed, but the music is not world either. There are a few moments where the music has a progressive flavor, but the music is not progressive either. Guess what. This music is unique.
Stick to the comparisons already made. The Cranberries are not wannabe Enyas. They wanted to create their own style, and they did.
Of the three Cranberries CDs I own, this one is my personal favorite. Dolores moans and emotes her way through selection after selection, and focuses more on establishing a feeling than the lyrics. Occasionally lyrics pop through clearly and simply enough that you find yourself singing along for brief moments and humming the rest.
This music is mood music. It is somewhat cohesive throughout, which for some people can seem boring. I like the emotional concept which forms a theme, and I always wish the CD had been longer when I get to the end. When I'm in the proper mood, I can listen to this CD for hours. When I'm out of the mood, the CD will sit on the shelf for months.
Having said all that, a few of the selections stand out on this excellent CD. "Dreams" has gotten a lot of air play, and is one of the best cuts. "Linger" is an awesome tune that crossing the fine line into pop. "Put Me Down" is another song that is similar in feeling to these.
For something with a lounge flavor, try "I Will Always". Music to be morose by. Definitely music to get wasted by, though the emotional side effects can be stressful.
The pace in a few of these songs does pick up a little bit, most notably with "How". However, none of these are intended to be speedy. The Cranberries spread their emotion viscously thick, and you get stuck wallowing in it and through it. While many people can't handle that much emotional content in their music, I love it.
As with many of the CDs I tend to buy and review, this one is definitely not for everyone. Dolores is a wailer. Her voice has a lot of highs and she occasionally stretches her voice to screeches and nearly yells, in a way with the panache of Bjork, but I think more musically coherent than Bjork, who is more of an experimentalist by my standards.
Your best bet is to review the other artists against whom I compare The Cranberries, and even better would be to borrow a copy of this CD or "No Need to Argue", which has a lot of similarity to this CD. If you can handle the emotional content, and Dolores' voice, you are going to find this is an outstanding selection.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Cranberries can do so much more . ., Dec 26 2001
N1AK (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
I bought this album with high hopes that it could perhaps surpass the wonder of "No need to argue" which was the first Cranberries album I bought and perhaps it was this level of expectation that caused my dissapointment. Having only bought the album this month I was quickly made well aware that it has been some 7 years since the original release of this album and that The Cranberries had attempted to fit there music to the pop market of the time.
The ability of the band is often held back by the constritive structure of the music and the nonchalance of the lyrics. I personally loathe Dreams which was undoubtedly the biggest commercial success of the album for just this reason. However the power that The Cranberries commmand is still present in places, the catatonically mellow and slow placed Pretty showing the true power of Delores voice which manages to hijack your senses while barely raising above a whisper.
I would still recomend this as a purchase to anyone who enjoys the cranberries more laid back numbers such as "Ode to my family" but anyone looking for the more instrument driven songs such as Zombie or "I can't be with you" will be thoroughly dissapointed.
And yet I must add that this is still one of the better works from the early 90's and would score much more highly if I was not such a critict of music of this time period in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's an Enya fan doing reviewing The Cranberries?, Aug. 7 2001
Neal Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
Well, my love for Enya, and then CLannad led me to the broader spectrum of contemporary Irish and Celtic music. And I'm glad it enabled me to discover the Cranberries. My first listen to this album was relaxed, while enjoying Guinness Extra Stout...Hey, I'm don't have a lot of Irish in me, but enough to enjoy the music and the stout. Anyway, first, I want to mention two short moments...maybe one or two seconds, even five maybe, that Dolores did make me think of Enya. "Sunday" has a very brief ethereal moment, and so did "Waltzing Back". I mean don't blink your ears or you'll miss it, but interesting that she did go ethereal and angelic even for those too quick moments. I basically enjoyed the terrific drum work combined with Dolores' voice which is capable of whispering, seducing, or demanding depending on her wishes at the moment. I go along with the others on "I Still Do," "Dreams", "Linger", and "I Will Always" being each outstanding, but I seem to be alone in my favorite which is the last cut on which she truly becomes ethereal, a dreamy experience in which I like to visualize dancing with her as she sings...Yes, I definitely liked this last song the most, but then I loved the whole CD and am so glad I discovered it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frightengly close to teenage reality, June 20 2001
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
The magic thing about The Cranberries was the fact that their singer , Dollores O'Riordan let herself free to grow up in front of our eyes . She used the songs included on the band's debut to confide in us her fears , desires and insecurities . Then she became more aggressive and more confident on herself on the second album .Even when she expressed her concerns over global conflicts on their third offering , Dollores was honest . These were her thoughts at the time , that's who she was at that point of her life.About " Everybody else is doing it... " now , what i have to say is that i never heard something so genuinly emotional since Jeff Buckley's " Grace " .There's a haunting melancholy in these songs which makes them deeply touching and strangely uplifting . Vulnerable confessions made on tracks like " Pretty " and " I Still Do " are full of feelings we are all familiar with . What makes this album so great is , in my opinion that it's so human . I don't know if my english are making any sense here but what i'm trying to say is that this is a record which even in it's happiest moments ( " Dreams " , " Linger " ) talks straight to a young person's heart . Try listening it at one of these nights where you can't sleep and you keep thinking about your life , behaviur and the people that surround you. That's when it works best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely..., Oct. 6 2000
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
This, by far, is my favourite Cranberries album. There is nothing inherently wrong with subsequent releases, and the Cranberries have grown lyrically and musically and explored new sounds in the years since this album was released. However, there was a certain style and charm here that has not been duplicated. O'Riordan's soaring vocals, sometimes floating above all the other music, and sometimes barely whispering; touching and often quite melancholy lyrics (usually lyrics to which any person who has been in love or jilted can relate, which is a part of the charm); and beautiful, even ethereal arrangements of these songs. The Cranberries can be a little bit repetitive, but overall this is an excellent album. The album begins "I don't want to leave you, even though I have to. I don't want to love you, oh, I still do..." about a person asserting herself, trying to find out what she needs for herself. (Obviously describing songs and their meaning is a lot less effective than actually listening to the song itself). The overplay of track two, "Dreams" is a bit sad (I cannot even listen to that track anymore). Otherwise the entire album is lovely and listenable. My particular favourites are "Linger" (which has nearly suffered the overplay of "Dreams"), "Put Me Down", "Not Sorry", and "I Will Always".

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb debut ! One awesome song after another!, July 6 2000
Shelley Gammon "Geek" (Kaufman, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
It's a rare treat to find a CD (a debut album, no less!) thatis nothing but awesome songs, one after the other... no weird, bizarreor annoying tracks that need to be skipped... just incredible Dolores O'Riordan's haunting vocals through-out... thoughtful lyrics and a great sounding band. The Cranberries don't have lyrics that repeat a million times in each song, so you don't always realize the name of a track when you hear it on the radio... but believe me, you've heard at least one of their songs. If you've ever seen the promotional vacation commercial for travel to Ireland, you've heard "Dreams" sung in the background. Definitely a pick-me-up, but not a jazzy dance song... easy to listen to at work or as background music to housework or a country drive... one excellent melody after another! I have a library of over 600 CDs, but I only take about 20 with me when I go on a road trip... just the few I can listen to over and over again w/o skipping tracks... this is one of those CDs. Sometimes you buy a CD because you hear one song on the radio that you like... then you listen to the whole thing a few times and if the band is really good, the music can grow on you to the point you actually like/tolerate all the songs... but in the case of this initial offering by the Cranberries, all tracks were great listening on the first go-round.

5.0 out of 5 stars The quintessential debut of the 1990's, April 14 2000
This review is from: Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Audio CD)
In the early 90's, "alternative" was all the rage wasn't it? And in that pile of debuts, only three stand out for me. Let's see... It was 1993. There was Radiohead. There was The Smashing Pumpkins. And there was a little band from Ireland called The Cranberries. They just came out of nowhere and took the world by storm. But, brilliant as those other bands may be (and Radiohead's excellence didn't really show until their second album, by the way), The Cranberries had one up on them with their debut Cd: "Everybody Else Is Doing it, So Why Can't We?" Because they weren't trying to innovate. Theirs was a message of simplicity, and they hammered it home in such dreamy and elyptical fashion, that you could not get that incrdible voice or those haunting melodies out of your head. With their more pretentious contemporaries trying to give new spins to 60's psychodelia, The Cranberries had a down-to-earth pop sensibility that made them irresistible. A timelessness. Consider that "Linger" is such a perfect love song, that it can exist at any point in time and fit right in. As lead singer Dolores O'Riordan once said: "Patsy Cline could have sang it." And she's right. If one could travel back in time to the late 50s or 60's with this recording, and pump it through someone's turntable, it wouldn't seem out of place. And yet, it doesn't seem dated. Most of the other songs on this wonderful 41 minute recording (even the length and structure of the album itself is old-fasioned) have that same quality to them. Even "Dreams", that unforgettable pop song that echoes in our minds to this very day. You could see that they were influenced by the British indie scene of the 1980's (particularly The Smiths); all the more evident when you consider that Smiths and Morrissey producer, Stephen Street, handled this recording as well. But they gave all that a freshness and a unique quality that made their music seem totally original. After this, The Cranberries moved on and produced more quality work. Their follow-up, "No Need To Argue" (released the following year), showed a rare maturity that most bands don't accomplish in a decade, let alone a year. Their varied range is just another of this often underappreciated band's attributes. Later on, they went from experimental ("To The Faithful Departed"- 1996) to whimsical (last year's "Bury the Hatchet.") But with this first release they truly marked a moment in time. "Linger" is to the 90's what "Every Breath You Take" was to the 80's. This kind of watershed is not a common occurance, and so The Cranberries remain one of this generation's most important bands. Their debut, in a sense, is the quintessential 90's debut because it proved without a doubt that there really was new music worth listening to out there... Too bad this is no longer true.

Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by Cranberries (Audio CD - 1993)