summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools Family

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 4, 2003
I have to admit that I'm not a disco fan. As a matter of fact, I pretty much hate it. But there was one singer of this genre who I could always listen to : Barry White.
Covering the years 1973 to 1978, "All Time Greatest Hits" chronicles his career as a solo artist and with his famed Love Unlimited Orchestra. All the hits are here, from the luscious "Love's Theme" to the smooth grooves of "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More, Baby" and "Never, Never Gonna Give Up" to the naughty piano intro of "It's Ectasy When You Lay Down Next To Me". Of course, the late Mr. White's two biggest hits are here, the inescapable "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe" and the ethereal "You're The First, The Last, My Everything". Both sound as crip and original as they did in 1974. White also vocally examines the softer side of love with "Oh, What A Night For Dancing" and an excellent version of Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are". In fact, this one song alone is worth the price of the cd.
Whether you're a fan of disco or you just love Barry White and you don't have this cd, take my advice and buy it as soon as possible.
on March 18, 2000
"All-Time Greatest Hits" is a wonderful mix of funk, dance, soul, R&B, and disco, blended beautifully by White and the Love Unlimited Orchestra. The constant elements throughout White's music is class, elegance and style; his music is never a can of beer or a soda but always a glass of fine red wine. This is one of the few recordings made in the 70's that truly epitomize the soul/funk sound in its refined manner. Many of White's contributions on this compilation suggest that disco could have been more than a dancing craze, as songs like "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe" still stand strong after all these years. The music here is not to be blasted from your car stereo, but from an intimate setting. It's White's intention that you should be with the one you love.
What makes White's music so compelling is the Love Unlimited Orchestra, because the orchestra appears in the songs to SERVE the song, not to display themselves. The strings & horns blend themselves well into the work. Marvin Gaye was to-the-point when he said White's work is both "street & sincere". That's what this is - sex & soul, tastefully done.
on May 12, 2004
Barry White wrote amazing songs about sex and love. He was never crass or vulgar. He didn't have to be. His voice, lyrics and music flowed like some kind of honey, oozing out of your speakers and straight into your lover's heart. Some of his songs sounded the same, but thats beside the point because they all sounded great. They called him "The Walrus of Love" and sure enough, that's what he looked like, with his big droopy 70's mustache and hefty physique. Todays music can either be very vapid {dance pop}, or violent {Rap}, so a talent like Barry's is missed all the more. There was a time when men and women wrote deeply and intensely about love and sensuality and Barry was the King of that era. Thank you for all the great music and for being the soundtrack of love to so many couples around the world.
I wonder if you knew the impact you had on so many people's lives.
on May 12, 1999
If you're planning to get this CD because of what you've seen and heard on Ally McBeal, I should warn you that the version of "You're the First, the Last, My Everything" is the "single-edit" of that song, which means that it does NOT include that oh-so-smooth spoken introduction ("We got it together, didn't we?....") that's been featured prominently in the show. If you want the whole song, you want to get "Greatest Hits (Vol. 1)," or the original album it was featured on: "Can't Get Enough." Other than that criticism, though, it's a very good collection--decent remixing, clear sound, and a good selection of songs that evenly breaks down the albums of the first decade or so of his recording career. Just not everything you Ally McBeal fans may want in a Barry White album.
on December 19, 2003
I have been a Barry White listener for 4 years. One of the things I like about this compilation is that his hits from 1973-1977 are summed up pretty well. Was this 1995 collection worth the wait? Yes, we really needed this because we only had 2-valued greatest his compilations that weren't even close to complete and then they released a box set for his devoted fans called "Just For You", (which I do have). This is a great anthology, and these 20 tracks are all winners'. There are 2 problems though. One of the problems are that the tracks are edited (maybe 6 or so). This anthology doesn't have any hits from 1979, but it does have a great summarization of his post-1971 hits. The box set, "Just For You" might be too much for the casual listener or fan, but "All Time Greatest Hits" is a better bet.
on April 14, 2003
Barry White's "All time greatest hits" is a collection of 20 classic funk/soul tracks that really puts one in a romantic mood. It is also possibly THE #1 romantic album of all time. I always put on this CD when I make love to my girlfriend, and I am happy to report it works, each and every time. :) My favorite tracks include "Can't get enough of your love, baby", "Never, never gonna give you up", "I'm gonna love you just a little more", "I'm qualified to satisfy you", and "You see the trouble with me". This CD should be part of every Ladies man's box of love toys and aphrodisiacs. Just dim the lights, light some candles, pour 2 glasses of red wine, and put on this CD, and you got the perfect romantic love nest. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on April 30, 2000
The essence of soul is captured in this collection of grooves by the Maestro. Not only does his smooth bass voice resonate in the hits such as Can't Get Enough... and My First, My Last, My Everything. But he also slows it down on Oh What A Night for Dancing, as well as an excellent cover of Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are. If by chance you are the casual Barry White fan, You may not want to get to close, this disc will bring out the true Barry lover in you. To say this cd is hot is too much. Hot things seem to burn out quickly, instead Barry just simmers lasting as long as romance itself. If you want a quick fix look elsewhere. If you want Soul,R&B, and Funk wrapped in a pleasant package. You have arrived at your destination.
on May 23, 2000
The recipe of love: a few glasses of vino, a few scented candles, a slightly burned Judo costume and, of course, Barry White. Every time I seduce a lady, you can't keep Barry White off my stereo. Which is probably why it is smashed to pieces. Every time I hear Barry's sweet, sweet voice, I feel like shrinking myself to the size of an ant, with a special ray, and making a home out of an old babies shoe. This album invokes such powerful feelings in me. Whenever I hear "Love's Theme" I feel like I have fell in love with a cement mixer, all over again. The first time I made love to a mammoth skeleton, Barry White was on the radio. Again, whilst making love to a Trilby, I slipped on a teabag. Say no more. Barry White is the man.
on September 25, 1999
his music transcends time and is classic.as writer,arranger,producer,instrumentalist and vocalist he continues to explore diffrent paths.the strings on his music is solid and the guitar,drums kick his trade mark grooves into high gear.it's a trip it took some folks all this time to give him his props cuz they heard his music on ally mcbeal? but i guess better late than never.however i don't need a tv.show to tell me what good music is.to respect his music depth just listen to the start of ectasy those first 30 or so seconds show the genius. you know the barry white sound rather he wrote the song or not.like just the way you are.he has his soul stamp on his music.
on August 9, 1999
What more need be said; of the master of the love ballad. Mister Barry White has the charm to soothe the savage beast in anyone! When I was just a mere lad of 20 years old! I'm 48 now, I'd let the master, serenade the woman I had my sights set upon. Barry White's music always worked its charm on the ladies. So "Heres" to the master of Swoon!!! Mister Barry White!!! Long may he live!!! And long May his love songs be sung!!! P.S. I'm also a Baritone, bass, Singer! And Guess What?!!! My Name is also Barry! Peace & Love!!! All us Barry's are good singers!!!