5.0 out of 5 stars RIP Barry White
While never a big fan of disco, I have always liked Barry White's blend of dance music combined with classic R & B, and this 20 - song cd does an excellent job of collecting the best of his unique style of music.
For a solid collection of hits, this album holds up quite well. "Love's Theme", "Never, Never Gonna Give You Up", "I'm Gonna...
Published on Jan. 23 2004 by anthony nasti

3.0 out of 5 stars A few gems
This cd has a few songs I'd hate to do without, but many of the songs are just hollow knockoffs of the truly inspired tunes. I wouldn't sit and listen to this straight through (as I would with nearly any Marvin Gaye disk), but I'm still glad to have it in my collection
Published on Jan. 18 2000 by Vincent

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man is Gone ...... But the Music Lives On Forevor, May 12 2004
Glenn Nippert "musicologist" (Alpharetta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All-Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Barry White wrote amazing songs about sex and love. He was never crass or vulgar. He didn't have to be. His voice, lyrics and music flowed like some kind of honey, oozing out of your speakers and straight into your lover's heart. Some of his songs sounded the same, but thats beside the point because they all sounded great. They called him "The Walrus of Love" and sure enough, that's what he looked like, with his big droopy 70's mustache and hefty physique. Todays music can either be very vapid {dance pop}, or violent {Rap}, so a talent like Barry's is missed all the more. There was a time when men and women wrote deeply and intensely about love and sensuality and Barry was the King of that era. Thank you for all the great music and for being the soundtrack of love to so many couples around the world.
I wonder if you knew the impact you had on so many people's lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Barry White Sampler But...., May 12 2000
Howard T. Kim (Somewhere in the U.S.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All-Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This CD is a good sampler of the maestro's material from early 70's to the end of that decade. The remastering here is excellent and it receives high marks for sound quality and the inclusion of Love's Theme in the compilation. The version of this cut is in its full format (unlike the truncated version on many various artists instrumental collections) However, almost all of the other cuts are edited single versions which by the way is not necessarily a bad thing but it does hurt in the case of Can't Get Enough. This version is weak and the drums and horns on it sound dull and muffled. The version on Greatest Hits Vol.1 is longer by about 30 seconds and the percussion sound much more full and crisp. The latter version is clearly one of the 10 best singles of the 70's. If it wasn't for this minor but important flaw, this CD would have rated five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good selection and sound, BUT...., May 12 1999
This review is from: All-Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
If you're planning to get this CD because of what you've seen and heard on Ally McBeal, I should warn you that the version of "You're the First, the Last, My Everything" is the "single-edit" of that song, which means that it does NOT include that oh-so-smooth spoken introduction ("We got it together, didn't we?....") that's been featured prominently in the show. If you want the whole song, you want to get "Greatest Hits (Vol. 1)," or the original album it was featured on: "Can't Get Enough." Other than that criticism, though, it's a very good collection--decent remixing, clear sound, and a good selection of songs that evenly breaks down the albums of the first decade or so of his recording career. Just not everything you Ally McBeal fans may want in a Barry White album.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Compilation To Own By Barry, Dec 19 2003
Brandon Ousley (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All-Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I have been a Barry White listener for 4 years. One of the things I like about this compilation is that his hits from 1973-1977 are summed up pretty well. Was this 1995 collection worth the wait? Yes, we really needed this because we only had 2-valued greatest his compilations that weren't even close to complete and then they released a box set for his devoted fans called "Just For You", (which I do have). This is a great anthology, and these 20 tracks are all winners'. There are 2 problems though. One of the problems are that the tracks are edited (maybe 6 or so). This anthology doesn't have any hits from 1979, but it does have a great summarization of his post-1971 hits. The box set, "Just For You" might be too much for the casual listener or fan, but "All Time Greatest Hits" is a better bet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Each and every time, April 14 2003
Joe (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All-Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Barry White's "All time greatest hits" is a collection of 20 classic funk/soul tracks that really puts one in a romantic mood. It is also possibly THE #1 romantic album of all time. I always put on this CD when I make love to my girlfriend, and I am happy to report it works, each and every time. :) My favorite tracks include "Can't get enough of your love, baby", "Never, never gonna give you up", "I'm gonna love you just a little more", "I'm qualified to satisfy you", and "You see the trouble with me". This CD should be part of every Ladies man's box of love toys and aphrodisiacs. Just dim the lights, light some candles, pour 2 glasses of red wine, and put on this CD, and you got the perfect romantic love nest. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great White, April 30 2000
This review is from: All-Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The essence of soul is captured in this collection of grooves by the Maestro. Not only does his smooth bass voice resonate in the hits such as Can't Get Enough... and My First, My Last, My Everything. But he also slows it down on Oh What A Night for Dancing, as well as an excellent cover of Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are. If by chance you are the casual Barry White fan, You may not want to get to close, this disc will bring out the true Barry lover in you. To say this cd is hot is too much. Hot things seem to burn out quickly, instead Barry just simmers lasting as long as romance itself. If you want a quick fix look elsewhere. If you want Soul,R&B, and Funk wrapped in a pleasant package. You have arrived at your destination.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential Listening for Retired Shepherds, May 23 2000
This review is from: All-Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The recipe of love: a few glasses of vino, a few scented candles, a slightly burned Judo costume and, of course, Barry White. Every time I seduce a lady, you can't keep Barry White off my stereo. Which is probably why it is smashed to pieces. Every time I hear Barry's sweet, sweet voice, I feel like shrinking myself to the size of an ant, with a special ray, and making a home out of an old babies shoe. This album invokes such powerful feelings in me. Whenever I hear "Love's Theme" I feel like I have fell in love with a cement mixer, all over again. The first time I made love to a mammoth skeleton, Barry White was on the radio. Again, whilst making love to a Trilby, I slipped on a teabag. Say no more. Barry White is the man.

5.0 out of 5 stars barry has soul, Sept. 25 1999
This review is from: All-Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
his music transcends time and is classic.as writer,arranger,producer,instrumentalist and vocalist he continues to explore diffrent paths.the strings on his music is solid and the guitar,drums kick his trade mark grooves into high gear.it's a trip it took some folks all this time to give him his props cuz they heard his music on ally mcbeal? but i guess better late than never.however i don't need a tv.show to tell me what good music is.to respect his music depth just listen to the start of ectasy those first 30 or so seconds show the genius. you know the barry white sound rather he wrote the song or not.like just the way you are.he has his soul stamp on his music.

5.0 out of 5 stars To the Marvelous Master of "Swoon" music; Barry's the best!, Aug. 9 1999
This review is from: All-Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
What more need be said; of the master of the love ballad. Mister Barry White has the charm to soothe the savage beast in anyone! When I was just a mere lad of 20 years old! I'm 48 now, I'd let the master, serenade the woman I had my sights set upon. Barry White's music always worked its charm on the ladies. So "Heres" to the master of Swoon!!! Mister Barry White!!! Long may he live!!! And long May his love songs be sung!!! P.S. I'm also a Baritone, bass, Singer! And Guess What?!!! My Name is also Barry! Peace & Love!!! All us Barry's are good singers!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Barry velvet voice is a gift from GOD, Dec 9 1998
This review is from: All-Time Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Barry White's velvet voice is a gift from God. That I'm sure created more then a few baby's in the 70's, and I am quite sure that he is still helping in that process. If your having problems inyour relationship and do not know what to say play, Baby I've got so much to give that will say it all.... and shouldthat not work. Make sure that you play, (from one of his other cd's) Put me in your mix...Somethings get better with time and Barry White is one of these GODgiven phenomenons............

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

All-Time Greatest Hits
All-Time Greatest Hits by Barry White (Audio CD - 1994)