5.0 out of 5 stars My vote for the very best of the "early" Elton John albums
Published on Nov. 30 2003 by Lawrance M. Bernabo

3.0 out of 5 stars Far from Elton's best
This album has inexplicably been elevated to almost God-like status in the past few years which is curious because this is far from Elton's best work. He was still two years away from reaching his pinnacle with "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and the stark fact is that there are only two outstanding songs on this disc. The first is the incomparable opening...
Published on Aug. 30 2000 by Candace Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Masterpiece, Feb. 1 2004
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
My favourites from this were 'Indian Sunset', 'Holiday Inn', 'All the nasties' and 'Madman across the water'. This album is so serious and serious sounding. At times I find it boring but honestly I find most of the album to be breath-taking. Those strings really are excellent. 'Indian sunset' an ode to Native Americans, is wonderful with it's classical music style of ever changing volume and the way Elton sings it is spot on. All the nasties is up there with it. The guitaring on 'Holiday Inn' was wonderful and then the title track is the only rocker on the album. 'Tiny Dancer' is the most romantic sounding song and I really like it too. Rotten Peaches is alrgiht, it's about some guy in jail. Levon doesn't really set me on fire, and I have no idea what it's about, perhaps a sling at Religion? 'Razor face' isn't anything exciting for me but it is an intruiging lyric and I don't min the accordion either. But who is Razor Face? With all the Biblical references I thought it migth be a mockery of a returned Jesus but it's probably most likely an old man they met in rural America. I could say the same fro 'Goodbye', which says it a lot in a little time. Anyway a few greats and a few songs that are serious if not boring, thankfully he pulled something as lovable as 'Hinky Cat' out of the bag!

5.0 out of 5 stars My vote for the very best of the "early" Elton John albums, Nov. 30 2003
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Madman Across the Water (Audio CD)
I have been going through my 1000+ CDs for the Popular Culture class I teach and I have come to the conclusion that "Madman that was the only place to hear "Levon," which was my favorite song for about half a year (I believe it was replaced by "Knife's Edge" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer). Consequently, the shift in my musical appreciation from Top Forty to more sophisticated musical forms can be traced to this particular song and this special album.
Of course, once I had enough loose change I bought the album and promptly proceeded to play the first side about five times as often as I flipped it over and played side two; having the CD Across the Water" was a seminal album in my life. I seriously started listening to FM radio in the early Seventies because means I tend to listen to the whole thing all the way through. I would argue that "Tiny Dancer," "Levon," "Razor Face," and "Madman Across the Water" equals the best side of any Elton John record. I also used the title track as part of a poetry unit for English class (ah, those liberal days of yore). The movie "Almost Famous" has made "Tiny Dancer" popular again, but anybody who listens to this CD is going to find out there are some other great songs too, from the somber "Indian Sunset" to the catchy "Rotten Peaches."
Ironically, "Levon" made its way onto the third volume of Elton John's greatest hits collection. Just another example of the cherished memories of our youth exploited by the commercial interests of some soulless giant company.

4.0 out of 5 stars John and Tauplin at their strangest, May 17 2003
P. Nicholas Keppler "rorscach12" (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
An anything goes attitude is the defining feature of Elton John's forth studio album, Madman Across the Water. A folk song about a hotel chain. A narrative about an Iroquois warrior. An eight-minute rock epic about who-knows-what. The next track could be anything. Of coarse such an approach means at least a few missteps, (The aforementioned "Indian Sunset," which references tomahawks and Geranimo, is just ridiculous), but ultimately John and lyricist, Bernie Tauplin, create some compelling music. Take "Levon," a character sketch of a cold-hearted business-man and his dreamer son, Jesus (named so because Levon "liked the sound") for example. With its pungent imagery, winding violins and passionate vocals, it's an outstanding rock epic if there ever was one. The album's best track, though, is its most normal, "Tiny Dancer," which was revived in 1999 by Cameron Crowe's outstanding, rock and roll-themed coming-of-age film, Almost Famous. The ballad, about a free-spirited groupie, is the John/Tauplin team at its most charmingly amorous and effortlessly gorgeous. More common, though, are idiosyncratic moments like "All the Nasties," in which an urbanite assets his manhood in front of a towering choir and "Goodbye," in which a poet, who feeds lambs wine that flows from his hands (Yeah, you read that right) throws a fit. Elaborate, individualistic and unpredictable, all to an extreme, there are few albums quite like Madman Across the Water and of them, very few as pleasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton's best work, March 10 2003
Levi Stofer (Lawrenceville, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
The magical period of 1970-1978 now known as Elton John's "Classic Years" yielded many wonderful albums in a short frame of time. Many people seem to single out "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" as his best. This may be because of the fact that Sir Elton was at his most popular by that time.
In my opinion, "Madman Across the Water" is his best. Recorded in 1971, it contains some of the most soulful songs Elton John and Bernie Taupin ever created.
Yes, it contains the commercial hits "Tiny Dancer" and "Levon" but unlike some of Elton's late 70s albums, this one goes a bit deeper than that. The title track is a haunting epic that evokes frightening images while leaving a melody in your head that urges to sing along. "All the Nasties" and "Goodbye" also stand out as favorites, but as a whole this album works better than any other EJ recording.
One major reason is the overall sound. On many of the songs, orchestration is used to intensify the emotional anthems to higher levels than a piano will allow. Also, the album gives some room to breathe between the more serious songs like "Indian Sunset" with transitions to more fun songs like "Razorface" and "Rotten Peaches", which are all great tunes in their own right.
This was the album that really got me rolling on my Elton John collection. I would also highly reccommend "Tumbleweed Connection", "Honky Chateau", and "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy". But start here. You won't stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton's most angst-filled album, Nov. 26 2002
Anthony Nasti "Tony" (Staten Island, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
Elton John released this 1971 album during his first taste of the big time. The album was recorded during a happy time in his life, but it has so many angst-ridden songs on it. Even if you
take a closer listen to "Tiny Dancer", you can see the angst that
burst out on the rest of the album. "Levon" is a tale of a bitter
man who thinks of Jesus as nothing more than a ballon-selling man
who just wants to go away and leave Levon to die. The song's theme may have been controversial with religios groups, but it
soon became a classic Elton tune. "Razor Face" tells the tale of
a homeless man looking for a lace to lay down. Elton begins to
show his slightly darker side. The darker side really begins to
show on the title track. The guitar solo that kicks off the song
gives us the first hint of danger, and Elton's chilling vocals on
this one give it a really dark feeling. "Indian Sunset" shows the
piano man at his angst-ridden best (or worst depending on how you
look at it), playing an Indian soldier avenging the death of his
chief. "Holiday Inn" is a refreshing change of pace. The album's
only bright song, Elton is in the part of a rock star waiting to
rest in the famed motel in Boston. "Rotten Peaches" takes us back
to the dark side, as Elton plays an escaped convict starting a
life on the run. "All The Nasties" is another good song, with a
nice choir but it still has a rather dark feel to it. The closing
"Goodbye" is chilling. Elton plays a dying man leaving some final
words to his ex-lover. This is a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingenius, Nov. 10 2002
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
1971's "Madman Across The Water" was Elton John's fourth album release, and his third that year. Although one year into his career, the album already reflects a changing Elton. "Madman Across The Water" is an excellent album and is among his best.
Most people will buy this album for its two classics, "Tiny Dancer" and "Levon", but "Indian Sunset", "Holiday Inn" & "Madman Across The Water" are just as good. The title track was said to be written about Richard Nixon, but Taupin absolutely denies it. "Indian Sunset" is a little long, but it's
a compelling and powerful tune about revenge and war. The cheerful "Holiday Inn" is possibly the best song on the whole album in my oppinion. It's a great look at the marvelous acoustic side of John and Taupin. "Rotten Peaches" is a brilliant song with grwat acoustic guitar playing and the brilliant mandolin playing of Davey Johnstone.
Several other songs on "Madman" are excellent listens as well, including "Goodbye" and "Razor Face". Madman Across The Water" is an ingenius piece of work that deserves notice and critical acclaim.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound of Raw Talent, Oct. 22 2002
Lonnie E. Holder "The Review's the Thing" (Columbus, Indiana, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
This album was Elton John and Bernie Taupin's sixth album in three years. During that time Elton explored a variety of sounds, trying to find his sound. "Madman Across the Water" was the cusp of the quest that would be fully realized on Elton's next album, "Honky Chateau". However, while seeking his sound, Elton managed to demonstrate an incredible potential that was broadly manifested on this album.
The first five songs particularly show a wonderful range of styles and compositions ranging from the solid pop of "Tiny Dancer" and "Levon" to the heavily orchestrated "Madman Across the Water" and "Indian Sunset". While the lyrics were occasionally murky and often misquoted, there was a lot of power in the piano and the backing arrangements were incredible. The still maturing voice of Elton was new and different at the time, and appealed to a broad array of audiences trying to find stability after the psychedelic and turbulent 60s.
One interesting feature of some of Elton's early music is the periodic influence of gospel or soul music, most strongly seen on this album in "All the Nasties". The influence would not last much longer as Elton went down a musically more cohesive path from this point on.
Over time Elton played keyboards of various types, but on his recent album "Songs from the West Coast" he returned to the piano once again, recalling the relative innocence of this early music, though with the maturity of a talented, seasoned artist. I think it is a tribute to the power of this early music that Elton has returned to it once again in his most recent album.
Music of this type has an incredible amount of power and appeals as much to emotion as it does to the ear. Listen again to an artist that made it big based on the power of his music and not the over-polished commercial pop that is hyped on many FM stations today. Truly a solid album for any collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Sept. 6 2002
Joe Lee (Brandon, MS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
There was a time when I wouldn't quite give this LP a superior rating because I've always felt that Side One of the original album configuration (the first four songs) were twice as good as Side Two. The other five songs have grown on me, however, and the entire album is indeed excellent.
"Tiny Dancer" and "Levon" have suffered a bit from being overplayed on radio, but they're two of his finest, most meaningful songs. But "Razor Face" is equally memorable, and the haunting title track is Elton John's very best song in my opinion. Truly outstanding lyrics about an asylum inmate are matched by brilliantly arranged strings and compelling lead guitar--I never get tired of hearing this song.
The remaining tracks have grown on me over the years and are all very good. "Indian Sunset" is a bit preachy but gets your attention, and "Holiday Inn" and "Rotten Peaches" both show off the fine, acoustic side of Elton and Bernie's work which was so prevalent on the albums from this period. It sounds great after being remastered, and the price is unbeatable. The only complaint is that there were no bonus tracks after the rerelease, which is the case with most of the "classic years" CD's. There are no complaints with the songs at all. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars My clear choice as the best of the "early" Elton John albums, June 2 2002
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
I have been going through my 1000+ CDs for the Popular Culture class I teach and I have come to the conclusion that "Madman Across the Water" was a seminal album in my life. I seriously started listening to FM radio in the early Seventies because that was the only place to hear "Levon," which was my favorite song for about half a year (I believe it was replaced by "Knife's Edge" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer). Consequently, the shift in my musical appreciation from Top Forty to more sophisticated musical forms can be traced to this particular song and this special album.
Of course, once I had enough loose change I bought the album and promptly proceeded to play the first side about five times as often as I flipped it over and played side two; having the CD means I tend to listen to the whole thing all the way through. I would argue that "Tiny Dancer," "Levon," "Razor Face," and "Madman Across the Water" equals the best side of any Elton John record. I also used the title track as part of a poetry unit for English class (ah, those liberal days of yore). The movie "Almost Famous" has made "Tiny Dancer" popular again, but anybody who listens to this CD is going to find out there are some other great songs too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton's serious album., April 12 2002
caddyman (Baton Rouge, La USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
After I bought Goodbye Yellow Brick Road I went hunting for more EJ albums. My parents gave me a card for Sam Goodies music, for Christmas. As I searched I could only find two Elton albums:Mad Man Across The Water, and Tumble Weed Connection.
I bought them and brought them to my house. The first song on MMATW was Tiny Dancer. It is about Bernie's wife and believe it or not she was a dancer! After that beautiful song I heard Levon. The lyrics were a bit unusual and I suspect Christians would object especially with the words "God is dead and the war's begun" but I ignored that and enjoyed the rest of the song.
Next was Razor face which I didn't understand what the lyrics meant but it is extremely rare to hear an accordian in a EJ song such as that one. The title track was orcestra showcase with strings and kettle drums. Indian Sunset was a fantastic story part instrumental. Shame on fans who flamed that song because EJ made a great story teller. Holiday Inn seemed to venture back into Tumble Weed Connection. Rotton Peaches was great too especially the La La La ending. All the Nasties was a filler but at least it had a great choir and featured Nigle Olson on drums. Goodbye was a short song that was beautiful and emotional but if you recently broke up with someone don't listen to it. It might make you cry. So if you like EJ right before he was a glamor pop star then this will be a refreshing treat. You won't be dissapointed

Madman Across The Water
Madman Across The Water by Elton John (Audio CD - 1996)