5.0 out of 5 stars cd
excellent cd and lot of good old songs I really love it and I recommand it to all my friends
Published 6 months ago by Claude Couillard

3.0 out of 5 stars Far from Elton's best
This album has inexplicably been elevated to almost God-like status in the past few years which is curious because this is far from Elton's best work. He was still two years away from reaching his pinnacle with "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and the stark fact is that there are only two outstanding songs on this disc. The first is the incomparable opening...
Published on Aug. 30 2000 by Candace Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars cd, Jan. 21 2014
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and easy yet reaching the deepest of depths, Nov. 21 2013
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
My interest in this album was due to Elton John's haunting yes convicted "Indian Sunset"

He has a passion and a vision that matches my own.

Love love LOVE it!

5.0 out of 5 stars this album sowed the seed of popmusic in me, March 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
When I was 13 years-old,I saved my pocket-money to buy something new,maybe I wanted to make sure of that I finished my childhood.then I went to a record shop,chose this casually,
only for reason why the jacket of bluejean was cool for me at that time.but the choice was one of the best that I have made. the player`s needle putted on the vinyldisc and played the introduction of piano,only a few sound of piano washed my childish taste in music off. that pure sound showed me the way to quality music. 30 years passed, my disc was lost but the sound is alive in my mind and I still adore it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aweseom SACD, April 13 2010
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
Excellent music and excellent sound quality. If you care about these two things, get yourself some SACDs and something to play them on. Many Playstation 3 units before the most recent ones will work (check to be sure though) and most if not all of the latest Sony Blu-Ray players work too (i.e. the 2010 models just released). SACD is awesome technology for music lovers especially jazz and classical for which there are a lot of releases every month. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Early EJ is Wonderful!, June 8 2004
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
EJ got a lot of people to notice after this one. This album was produced before he got really big..before Yellow Brick Road, but it shows the raw talent that the man had to be one of the world's best ever pop stars!
Title track, "Levon" and "Razor Face" are the best songs on the CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars A John/Taupin Staple, April 13 2004
Damian P. Gadal (Santa Barbara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
This recording is one of the must have John/Taupin collaborations! There really isn't a bad track. The musicianship and orchestrations are outstanding, and Elton's voice is strong and works well on the material, which is also some of Taupin's best!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Masterpiece, Feb. 2 2004
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
My favourites from this were 'Indian Sunset', 'Holiday Inn', 'All the nasties' and 'Madman across the water'. This album is so serious and serious sounding. At times I find it boring but honestly I find most of the album to be breath-taking. Those strings really are excellent. 'Indian sunset' an ode to Native Americans, is wonderful with it's classical music style of ever changing volume and the way Elton sings it is spot on. All the nasties is up there with it. The guitaring on 'Holiday Inn' was wonderful and then the title track is the only rocker on the album. 'Tiny Dancer' is the most romantic sounding song and I really like it too. Rotten Peaches is alrgiht, it's about some guy in jail. Levon doesn't really set me on fire, and I have no idea what it's about, perhaps a sling at Religion? 'Razor face' isn't anything exciting for me but it is an intruiging lyric and I don't min the accordion either. But who is Razor Face? With all the Biblical references I thought it migth be a mockery of a returned Jesus but it's probably most likely an old man they met in rural America. I could say the same fro 'Goodbye', which says it a lot in a little time. Anyway a few greats and a few songs that are serious if not boring, thankfully he pulled something as lovable as 'Hinky Cat' out of the bag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of Mama, Jan. 18 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
My mother LOVED Elton John, and this album in particular. My memories of her are so wrapped up with Elton's music that I can hardly separate the two. I remember the songs from "Madman Across the Water" like it was yesterday, even though I was just a kid when it was originally released.
I realize now what great collaborative artists Elton John and Bernie Taupin back then (and at such young ages!)
I'm buying this album, but I won't be playing it too often. To hear it is to have my mother singing along with Elton in my head and that is sweet, but painful. She's been gone for so long now, you'd think those bittersweet memories would fade. But they don't, really. I wonder what would have become of her if she hadn't killed herself in January of 1979. It's too bad. She could have enjoyed some excellent music by Elton in the years after her death.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Elton John album(CD)!!!, Jan. 14 2004
Jason P. Pumphrey "the movie & music man" (Falls Church, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
This is one of Elton John's best albums!!! Includes the classic songs:Tiny Dancer,Levon,and the title track!!!The other songs on the album are great too!!! A treat from start to finish!!! Two thumbs up!!! A+

5.0 out of 5 stars My vote for the very best of the "early" Elton John albums, Nov. 30 2003
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Madman Across the Water (Audio CD)
I have been going through my 1000+ CDs for the Popular Culture class I teach and I have come to the conclusion that "Madman that was the only place to hear "Levon," which was my favorite song for about half a year (I believe it was replaced by "Knife's Edge" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer). Consequently, the shift in my musical appreciation from Top Forty to more sophisticated musical forms can be traced to this particular song and this special album.
Of course, once I had enough loose change I bought the album and promptly proceeded to play the first side about five times as often as I flipped it over and played side two; having the CD Across the Water" was a seminal album in my life. I seriously started listening to FM radio in the early Seventies because means I tend to listen to the whole thing all the way through. I would argue that "Tiny Dancer," "Levon," "Razor Face," and "Madman Across the Water" equals the best side of any Elton John record. I also used the title track as part of a poetry unit for English class (ah, those liberal days of yore). The movie "Almost Famous" has made "Tiny Dancer" popular again, but anybody who listens to this CD is going to find out there are some other great songs too, from the somber "Indian Sunset" to the catchy "Rotten Peaches."
Ironically, "Levon" made its way onto the third volume of Elton John's greatest hits collection. Just another example of the cherished memories of our youth exploited by the commercial interests of some soulless giant company.

Madman Across The Water
Madman Across The Water by Elton John (Audio CD - 1996)