biss boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Audio CDChange

HALL OF FAMEon November 30, 2003
I have been going through my 1000+ CDs for the Popular Culture class I teach and I have come to the conclusion that "Madman that was the only place to hear "Levon," which was my favorite song for about half a year (I believe it was replaced by "Knife's Edge" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer). Consequently, the shift in my musical appreciation from Top Forty to more sophisticated musical forms can be traced to this particular song and this special album.
Of course, once I had enough loose change I bought the album and promptly proceeded to play the first side about five times as often as I flipped it over and played side two; having the CD Across the Water" was a seminal album in my life. I seriously started listening to FM radio in the early Seventies because means I tend to listen to the whole thing all the way through. I would argue that "Tiny Dancer," "Levon," "Razor Face," and "Madman Across the Water" equals the best side of any Elton John record. I also used the title track as part of a poetry unit for English class (ah, those liberal days of yore). The movie "Almost Famous" has made "Tiny Dancer" popular again, but anybody who listens to this CD is going to find out there are some other great songs too, from the somber "Indian Sunset" to the catchy "Rotten Peaches."
Ironically, "Levon" made its way onto the third volume of Elton John's greatest hits collection. Just another example of the cherished memories of our youth exploited by the commercial interests of some soulless giant company.
on March 10, 2003
The magical period of 1970-1978 now known as Elton John's "Classic Years" yielded many wonderful albums in a short frame of time. Many people seem to single out "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" as his best. This may be because of the fact that Sir Elton was at his most popular by that time.
In my opinion, "Madman Across the Water" is his best. Recorded in 1971, it contains some of the most soulful songs Elton John and Bernie Taupin ever created.
Yes, it contains the commercial hits "Tiny Dancer" and "Levon" but unlike some of Elton's late 70s albums, this one goes a bit deeper than that. The title track is a haunting epic that evokes frightening images while leaving a melody in your head that urges to sing along. "All the Nasties" and "Goodbye" also stand out as favorites, but as a whole this album works better than any other EJ recording.
One major reason is the overall sound. On many of the songs, orchestration is used to intensify the emotional anthems to higher levels than a piano will allow. Also, the album gives some room to breathe between the more serious songs like "Indian Sunset" with transitions to more fun songs like "Razorface" and "Rotten Peaches", which are all great tunes in their own right.
This was the album that really got me rolling on my Elton John collection. I would also highly reccommend "Tumbleweed Connection", "Honky Chateau", and "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy". But start here. You won't stop.
on November 26, 2002
Elton John released this 1971 album during his first taste of the big time. The album was recorded during a happy time in his life, but it has so many angst-ridden songs on it. Even if you
take a closer listen to "Tiny Dancer", you can see the angst that
burst out on the rest of the album. "Levon" is a tale of a bitter
man who thinks of Jesus as nothing more than a ballon-selling man
who just wants to go away and leave Levon to die. The song's theme may have been controversial with religios groups, but it
soon became a classic Elton tune. "Razor Face" tells the tale of
a homeless man looking for a lace to lay down. Elton begins to
show his slightly darker side. The darker side really begins to
show on the title track. The guitar solo that kicks off the song
gives us the first hint of danger, and Elton's chilling vocals on
this one give it a really dark feeling. "Indian Sunset" shows the
piano man at his angst-ridden best (or worst depending on how you
look at it), playing an Indian soldier avenging the death of his
chief. "Holiday Inn" is a refreshing change of pace. The album's
only bright song, Elton is in the part of a rock star waiting to
rest in the famed motel in Boston. "Rotten Peaches" takes us back
to the dark side, as Elton plays an escaped convict starting a
life on the run. "All The Nasties" is another good song, with a
nice choir but it still has a rather dark feel to it. The closing
"Goodbye" is chilling. Elton plays a dying man leaving some final
words to his ex-lover. This is a great album.
on November 10, 2002
1971's "Madman Across The Water" was Elton John's fourth album release, and his third that year. Although one year into his career, the album already reflects a changing Elton. "Madman Across The Water" is an excellent album and is among his best.
Most people will buy this album for its two classics, "Tiny Dancer" and "Levon", but "Indian Sunset", "Holiday Inn" & "Madman Across The Water" are just as good. The title track was said to be written about Richard Nixon, but Taupin absolutely denies it. "Indian Sunset" is a little long, but it's
a compelling and powerful tune about revenge and war. The cheerful "Holiday Inn" is possibly the best song on the whole album in my oppinion. It's a great look at the marvelous acoustic side of John and Taupin. "Rotten Peaches" is a brilliant song with grwat acoustic guitar playing and the brilliant mandolin playing of Davey Johnstone.
Several other songs on "Madman" are excellent listens as well, including "Goodbye" and "Razor Face". Madman Across The Water" is an ingenius piece of work that deserves notice and critical acclaim.
on October 22, 2002
This album was Elton John and Bernie Taupin's sixth album in three years. During that time Elton explored a variety of sounds, trying to find his sound. "Madman Across the Water" was the cusp of the quest that would be fully realized on Elton's next album, "Honky Chateau". However, while seeking his sound, Elton managed to demonstrate an incredible potential that was broadly manifested on this album.
The first five songs particularly show a wonderful range of styles and compositions ranging from the solid pop of "Tiny Dancer" and "Levon" to the heavily orchestrated "Madman Across the Water" and "Indian Sunset". While the lyrics were occasionally murky and often misquoted, there was a lot of power in the piano and the backing arrangements were incredible. The still maturing voice of Elton was new and different at the time, and appealed to a broad array of audiences trying to find stability after the psychedelic and turbulent 60s.
One interesting feature of some of Elton's early music is the periodic influence of gospel or soul music, most strongly seen on this album in "All the Nasties". The influence would not last much longer as Elton went down a musically more cohesive path from this point on.
Over time Elton played keyboards of various types, but on his recent album "Songs from the West Coast" he returned to the piano once again, recalling the relative innocence of this early music, though with the maturity of a talented, seasoned artist. I think it is a tribute to the power of this early music that Elton has returned to it once again in his most recent album.
Music of this type has an incredible amount of power and appeals as much to emotion as it does to the ear. Listen again to an artist that made it big based on the power of his music and not the over-polished commercial pop that is hyped on many FM stations today. Truly a solid album for any collection.
on September 6, 2002
There was a time when I wouldn't quite give this LP a superior rating because I've always felt that Side One of the original album configuration (the first four songs) were twice as good as Side Two. The other five songs have grown on me, however, and the entire album is indeed excellent.
"Tiny Dancer" and "Levon" have suffered a bit from being overplayed on radio, but they're two of his finest, most meaningful songs. But "Razor Face" is equally memorable, and the haunting title track is Elton John's very best song in my opinion. Truly outstanding lyrics about an asylum inmate are matched by brilliantly arranged strings and compelling lead guitar--I never get tired of hearing this song.
The remaining tracks have grown on me over the years and are all very good. "Indian Sunset" is a bit preachy but gets your attention, and "Holiday Inn" and "Rotten Peaches" both show off the fine, acoustic side of Elton and Bernie's work which was so prevalent on the albums from this period. It sounds great after being remastered, and the price is unbeatable. The only complaint is that there were no bonus tracks after the rerelease, which is the case with most of the "classic years" CD's. There are no complaints with the songs at all. Strongly recommended.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have been going through my 1000+ CDs for the Popular Culture class I teach and I have come to the conclusion that "Madman Across the Water" was a seminal album in my life. I seriously started listening to FM radio in the early Seventies because that was the only place to hear "Levon," which was my favorite song for about half a year (I believe it was replaced by "Knife's Edge" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer). Consequently, the shift in my musical appreciation from Top Forty to more sophisticated musical forms can be traced to this particular song and this special album.
Of course, once I had enough loose change I bought the album and promptly proceeded to play the first side about five times as often as I flipped it over and played side two; having the CD means I tend to listen to the whole thing all the way through. I would argue that "Tiny Dancer," "Levon," "Razor Face," and "Madman Across the Water" equals the best side of any Elton John record. I also used the title track as part of a poetry unit for English class (ah, those liberal days of yore). The movie "Almost Famous" has made "Tiny Dancer" popular again, but anybody who listens to this CD is going to find out there are some other great songs too.
on April 12, 2002
After I bought Goodbye Yellow Brick Road I went hunting for more EJ albums. My parents gave me a card for Sam Goodies music, for Christmas. As I searched I could only find two Elton albums:Mad Man Across The Water, and Tumble Weed Connection.
I bought them and brought them to my house. The first song on MMATW was Tiny Dancer. It is about Bernie's wife and believe it or not she was a dancer! After that beautiful song I heard Levon. The lyrics were a bit unusual and I suspect Christians would object especially with the words "God is dead and the war's begun" but I ignored that and enjoyed the rest of the song.
Next was Razor face which I didn't understand what the lyrics meant but it is extremely rare to hear an accordian in a EJ song such as that one. The title track was orcestra showcase with strings and kettle drums. Indian Sunset was a fantastic story part instrumental. Shame on fans who flamed that song because EJ made a great story teller. Holiday Inn seemed to venture back into Tumble Weed Connection. Rotton Peaches was great too especially the La La La ending. All the Nasties was a filler but at least it had a great choir and featured Nigle Olson on drums. Goodbye was a short song that was beautiful and emotional but if you recently broke up with someone don't listen to it. It might make you cry. So if you like EJ right before he was a glamor pop star then this will be a refreshing treat. You won't be dissapointed
on January 10, 2002
In my opinion, Madman Across the Water stands nobly as one of the greatest albums ever recorded. This album, produced at the height of the Elton John/Bernie Taupin frenzy during the early 1970's, is nothing short of a masterpiece. Although this album went platinum, it has not received the same level of historical attention as other Elton John albums. The reason for that escapes me, but suffice it to say that those who own Madman Across the Water have discovered the secret treasures of this album.
This album includes two Elton John hits that you may still hear occasionally on adult radio stations: "Tiny Dancer" and "Levon". While these songs are excellent, they are only the beginning, the first two tracks, on this incredible CD. This album contains what could be my favorite song ever: "Indian Sunset" is an epic, soaring, affective song about the Native American Indian at the time of colonization, and it's unforgettable. The title track is a mesmerizing journey led masterfully by Elton's haunting, intense vocals. (I like this version of "Madman" better than the one on the remastered Tumbleweed Connection because of the embellished instrumentation.) "All The Nasties" and "Goodbye" are equally compelling and representative of how marvelously Elton presents brooding, melancholy, thoughtful melodies. "Holiday Inn", "Razor Face", and "Rotten Peaches" are more upbeat and up tempo, but they follow the pattern of interesting lyrics from Taupin and infectious music and vocals from Elton.
At their peak, Elton John and Bernie Taupin were an unstoppable combination in writing extraordinary music. Madman Across the Water contains some of the best contemporary songwriting ever, and Elton's vocal performance on this disc is superb. For me this album has truly stood the test of time; I like it just as much now as I did when I initially heard it so many years ago. Don't overlook Madman Across the Water; it undoubtedly deserves to be a part of your CD collection.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 28, 2001
"Madman Across The Water" is one of my favorite Elton John albums. There's definitely not one bad song here. Paul Buckmaster writes some of his finest orchestral arrangements; most notably for the ballad "Levon" - one of my top ten favorite Elton John tunes - "Tiny Dancer", another favorite, and the title track. Like his earlier albums, Elton used primarily studio musicians, though two of them, drummer Roger Pope and guitarist Caleb Quaye, would later join his band in 1975, contributing their talents to "Rock Of The Westies" and "Blue Moves". Original band mates bassist Dee Murray and drummer Nigel Olsson appear only on one song, "All The Nasties"; starting with "Honky Chateau" through "Captain Fantastic", they would remain the rhythm section for the Elton John band. Davey Johnstone appears as a guest musician, with some excellent mandolin solos for "Madman Across The Water" (Incidentally, contrary to one popular rumor, "Madman..." isn't about American president Richard M. Nixon and the Watergate affair.). Aside from "Levon", my favorite song is "Tiny Dancer"; both are early pop masterpieces from the John/Taupin team. Yet another memorable song is "Holiday Inn". The sound quality is exceptional, thanks to excellent digital image-bit remastering done by Gus Dudgeon, the original album producer, and his team. Without question, "Madman Across The Water" is an essential Elton John recording.