5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable music 101
This album does not have much in the way of deep, insightful music. What it does have in droves, though, is a lot of fun, catchy songs. Judging by the truckloads of copies that this album sold, that is exactly what people wanted.

Shania had to endure a lot of criticism over this album, as a lot of purists didn't like the direction in which she was taking...
Published on Nov. 11 2006 by Brian loves music

3.0 out of 5 stars Catchy? Yes. Creative? Not Really.
After a whirlwind of success with THE WOMAN IN ME, Shania returned in late 1997 with her follow up, COME ON OVER. COME ON OVER is much more easily accessible by those who were lukewarm to her more country albums before, which is nice, but however there are many things about this album which leave a bad taste in my mouth. Yes the songs are extremely catchy and make you...
Published on April 22 2002 by J. M. Zuurbier

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 476 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "Come On Over" and buy this album!, Feb. 25 2002
This review is from: Come On Over (Audio CD)
1. Man! I Feel Like a Woman"- This is such a cool song about women going out and partying and letting their hair down. 5/5
2. "I'm Holdin' On To Love (To Save My Life)"- A pretty good song. 4.5/5
3. "Love Gets Me Every Time"- The lyrics to this one are really good! It's about a woman planning her life and then she unexpectedly falls in love. 5/5
4. "Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)"- This one has an awesome beat to it! It's such an amusing song about a woman telling her significant other not to be jealous all the time. 5/5
5. "From This Moment On"- A beautiful duet with Bryan White. 5/5
6. "Come On Over"- A fun song, with an upbeat feel to it about forgetting all of your worries and relaxing. 4.5/5
7. "When"- This is quite an interesting song. 4.5/5
8. "Whatever You Do! Don't!"- I really like this one! It's about melting whenever you see a cute man. 5/5
9. "If You Wanna Touch Her, Ask!"- A really cool song that explains how to treat a woman right. 4.5/5
10. "You're Still the One"- An amazing love song about still being completely in love with someone after years of being with them. 5/5
11. "Honey, I'm Home!"- This is one of my favorite songs on the album! 5/5
12. "That Don't Impress Me Much"- This one is perfect! It's about what it takes to impress a girl. 5/5
13. "Black Eyes, Blue Tears"- A very heartfelt song about a woman leaving an abusive relationship. 4.5/5
14. "I Won't Leave You Lonely"- The is the only song on the album that I don't like very much. 4/5
15. "Rock This Country!"- Just listening to this song makes you want to get up and dance and sing along! 5/5
16. "You've Got A Way"- Another pretty love song about being with the perfect man. 5/5
I've heard that Shania will probably be releasing her forth album this year (2002). I don't know if she'll ever be able to top "Come On Over." There's a reason that this CD is still in the Guinness Book of World Records for being for the #1 selling album by a female artist! It rocks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Country Rocks!, Dec 19 2001
This review is from: Come On Over (Audio CD)
�gCountry? I thought it�fs been already dead�h I could hardly believe my ears when I heard around 1999 that the country music was very popular in America. I was wrong again.
�gCome On Over�h is not country music in traditional manner. The music shown in this album is the mixture of 80�fs pop rock and mainstream country music. Matt Lange known by brilliant works of Def Leppard and Bryan Adams, adds country rock a brand new life. The success of �gCome On Over�h begot others such as Faith Hill�fs �gBreathe�hand The Corrs �gIn Blue�h and part of the song arrangement style used in this album can also be seen in the newer Matt Lange works. To me, being a 80s pop rock fan, this album is like an oasis. Songs are so great I feel as if I were listening to greatest hits package.
You�fre Still The One, When, Come On Over which became huge hits are excellent for sure. My #1 favorite among this album is �gFrom This Moment On�h grand-scale ballad as seen in Celine Dion and Whitney Houston hits. Also another of my top favorite �gRock This Country�h is enjoyable uptempo country rock.
Recommendable for wide range of pop rock fans. For those who missed this album, it is not yet too late. It still has fresh appeal.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice CD, but far from perfect, Oct. 25 2001
Phil Behnke (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come On Over (Audio CD)
I enjoy Shania's music a lot and this is a good CD, but I liked "The Woman in Me" more. Shania's a great lyricist but some of the lines on here are downright silly like "not even Dr. Ruth is gonna tell me how I feel". The opening track is my least favorite Shania song of all of her work. I know it's meant to be fun, but it just isn't very good. The true gems on here are "When", "I Won't Leave You Lonely" and "Love Gets Me Everytime". The title track is also great. Gotta love that accordian solo, very nice touch. This will be the album Shania is remembered for since it sold something like 16 million copies and counting. Doubtful that could happen again, but I'm sure she'll continue to be very successful. She has a real gift for melodies. I like Mutt Lange a lot as a producer but I would love to hear Shania collaborate with someone else like Glen Ballard (who produced Alanis Morissette's "Jagged" CD) but I wouldn't blame the record company for keeping the formula that's already working. Shania and Lange have made some incredible music together. I look forward to hearing her collaborate with other songwriters though. It would be a breath of fresh air. Shania Twain is one of those artists that you really feel glad to see succeed. She seems so cool and down to Earth. I have nothing but respect for her, especially how she starts off her show by showing video clips of bloopers (that show her tripping on stage.) You would never catch someone like Prince doing that! She has done for Country/Pop what Mariah Carey did for R&B. She has pulled in listeners who wouldn't have otherwise bought music in the same category. That's an amazing accomplishment! So are most of the songs on this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shania Skirts Around Country/Pop, Aug. 1 2001
This review is from: Come On Over (Audio CD)
Fun, radio-friendly and well, that fine line between country and pop are key ingredients in Shania's junior album, "Come On Over." The depth may not be rich, but if you can get past the consistent dance-pop dynamics, the topics reflect the day-to-day concerns of women.
"You've Got A Way" sparks those romantic flames when you know you found the one. "Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)" takes a stand on not being possessive about the one you love. And a unique twist unfolds in "Honey, I'm Home" when the man caters to the woman after a long, hard day at work.
Other girl-power themed songs include the leaving because of an abusive relationship song in "Black Eyes, Blue Tears" and how to get closer to woman after winning her heart in "If You Wanna Touch Her, Ask!"
The cover track, Shania said, summarizes her outlook on life. Get a life, take control and take advice from someone you know could be a biography on her professional and personal life.
Producer/husband Mutt Lange (Def Lepperd, Bryan Adams, AC/DC) collaberates with Twain to write all 16 songs on the album. "Come On Over" is a successful follow-up to "The Woman In Me" (the first for her and Lange). Despite the hype and the wait for the release, the album is a good one. It's one of those that model a perfect marriage between country and pop, subject to both endless love and endless scrutiny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just Another Pretty Face..., July 14 2001
C. Cunningham "Cris Cunningham" (Long Island NY, United States) - See all my reviews
My first introduction to Shania Twain was when she appeared on a music awards show and wiggled through a catchy tune in hip-hugging black leather jeans. Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed. A few months ago I received this CD as a present and never opened it until we were on a very long, very boring road trip with nothing to look at except highway and trees. What a pleasant surprise! The music is uplifting, the lyrics are clever, and Shania's "country-pop" style is refreshing to say the least. There is also quite a bit of variety, which keeps me from getting easily bored. The cuts are very radio-friendly and nicely integrate a traditional country sound with a pop style. I was even more impressed to learn that Shania and her husband "Mutt" Lange wrote all of the songs. It's not very often you hear of a talented singer who is an equally talented songwriter. I love all of the tracks but here are a few of my favorites (in no particular order):
(1) Honey I'm Home (2) From This Moment (I LOVE this song...beautiful) (3) Still The One (4) That Don't Impress Me Much
5 Stars. The variety and talent make this one a must buy. Enjoy...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, July 8 2001
This review is from: Come On Over (Audio CD)
Although I am not a huge fan of mainstream country music, someone gave me "Come On Over" as a gift and I actually ended up liking it! What is amazing about this album is that Twain combines the country and pop styles to create music that is exclusively her own sound. Most of the songs are upbeat ballads perfect for a party or a dance, but definitely not for the insomniac! One of the only remotely slow songs on the CD, "You're Still the One," also makes for a passionate slow dance. If I were a choreographer, this would be my dream CD! But even if you're not planning a dance, I still recommend "Come On Over" to those who usually like either country or pop, although neither style seems to dominate the tone. On a side note, I've noticed that many of Twain's recent hits have come from this CD as well, so I also recommend it because of the popularity and quality of the songs (see the track listing). In a nutshell, a great style, an excellent singer, and good songs make for one outstanding CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ballads That Your Kids Will Also Love!, May 5 2001
MartyHansen (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come On Over (Audio CD)
My wife originally bought this CD for herself. We ended up listening to it on family driving vacations. My kids love it too!
Neither my wife nor I are big country music fans. (Our last country music album before this was the soundtrack from Urban Cowboy, a movie we saw while dating.) But we both enjoy Shania Twain's "Come On Over."
My wife's favorite songs are "Man, I Feel Like A Woman," and "That Don't Impress Me Much." My favorites are "Rock This Country" (which is a great driving song), and "From This Moment On" (in which I imagine Shania, who is absolutely gorgeous, crooning to me in some honky-tonk bar).
My kids love "You're Still The One," which I've convinced them is "mommy and daddy's song" (because it captures, for my wife and I, the challenges we faced early in our marriage). Whenever this song comes on, my daughter always yells at my wife and I, "Kiss! Kiss!" (which we do just for her).
If you're looking for a CD the whole family will enjoy, Shania's "Come On Over" should be at the top of your list.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Come On Over' Should Be In Everyone's CD Collection!, March 28 2001
Emir (Las Vegas, NV, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come On Over (Audio CD)
Like I said in my previous review, this is the album that transcended her into the pop genre. The country is still there (like in the song, "Honey, I'm Home", a classic country song) but there are A LOT of leniencies toward pop here. Is this bad? Of course not! It just shows the range of music Shania can take herself into. And I love pop music! She even got videoplay for some of her songs from this album on MTV and VH1! She still has the Rock influence here, too. This album has a lot more fun and humor than 'The Woman In Me', but both are equally superb. All of the songs on this album are powerful and excellent, with Shania's extremely powerful voice, she's almost commanding you to like her voice and her music. But, a few songs especially worthy of note are "Whatever You Do, Don't!", "Love Gets Me Every Time", "From This Moment On" which got videoplay on MTV and VH1; an excellent song and well, well sung, and two of my favorites, if not all, "Black Eyes, Blue Tears" and probably my favorite song of all 16 superb songs, "WHEN". This one is an absolute masterpiece, well hidden among the collection. It didn't get popular (as far as I know) because IT'S SO EXCELLENT! It has a superb, superb beat, sound, instrumentals, and lyrics, other than Shania Twain's superb, all-powerful voice! The song is also put together extremely well, with an awesome, almost mind-blowing, feel to it.
The only drawback that I can find with this album is the guest vocalist, Bryan White, on "From This Moment On". The song is meant to be sung by Shania Twain alone, not with this clown singing it with her! He sounds horrible! I don't know what made Shania bring him into singing the song with her. I was trying to figure that out for a while, but I still can't figure that out. Maybe he offered her a lot of money to be put in the album, I don't know. But, that is easily remedied in the International Version to the album. But, the drawback to this version is that "That Don't Impress Me Much" and "Honey, I'm Home" leave out a critical guitar melody in these songs which are heard on the regular version of the album. In "That Don't Impress Me Much" in the International Version, the melody is entirely different altogether, almost like a dance mix! Not as good as the original! But, the other advantage of the International Version, other than Bryan White's absence, is "If You Wanna Touch Her, Ask!" is a much better version of the song than on the regular album. It has an excellent melody throughout the song, not found on the regular album. In my opinion, you should get BOTH versions of the album. That's what I did; And I'm very happy that I did that. I enjoy both versions equally well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Barney For Adults, March 15 2001
Crosstie Walker (Morgantown, WV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come On Over (Audio CD)
[opinions of this album] are clearly polarized: Shania fans call it a "masterpiece" and "the greatest album ever" while her detractors complain about the slick packaging and abandonment of country ideals.
At the risk of attempting objectivity, let's look at the good and bad together. Are there hooks here? Definitely - it's the heart of the aim/appeal of this album and an obvious reason for its widespread popularity. Priority #1 for Mutt and Shania is a singalong chorus - even the ballads attempt this stunt. The rest is Mutt's arena-rock formula of pounding drums, stop-start instrumental accompaniment and frequent opportunities for the vocalist to grunt, groan, and holler. Sound familiar? You guessed it - replace the violins with electric guitars and Shania with a shaggy-haired Joe Elliott and you've got Hysteria by Def Leppard! Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily. But to call it country is a mistake and to call it a masterpiece is to betray a lack of historical and musical perspective.
Shania has come a long way from her lounge-act days, but the one thing that remains the same is her reedy, thin voice. Her range is laughable - it may not even be a complete octave. Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Martina McBride, Faith Hill et al may have their own drawbacks, but nobody can argue that they can't belt out a tune, unlike Ms. Twain.
Background singers, double-tracking and that wonderful Nashville innovation known as the harmonizer (used to even out shaky notes) are employed by the truckload in an effort to conceal the fact that the singer simply can't sing. Note that many of Shania's "solo" passages are purred or spoken (a la Bob Dylan, Mark Knopfler et al) rather than expose Shania's vocal shortcomings. Combined with the slick, sequenced backing tracks, Shania sounds for all the world like she's at a Karaoke bar.
So what are we left with? An enjoyable album that relies more on the production staff than the artist and has little difficulty winning over an audience that have exhibited low expectations and a high degree of acceptance in the past.
Terms like McDonald's and cotton candy come to mind, but the closest parallel has to be Barney the dinosaur. Kids love Barney - he is always happy, any "serious" messages are delivered in a thick candy coating and five minutes after the tape runs out kids either forget what they've listened to and run outside or they replay it again and again until it becomes so much background noise.
Listen if you want to, enjoy it if you must, but please spare us the superlatives. And ask yourself if you will be listening to this album in a few years - or if Barney will finally get old.

3.0 out of 5 stars country for people who don't listen to country, Jan. 3 2001
This review is from: Come On Over (Audio CD)
some country music i can handle...the kind i like tends to be more crossover-oriented like garth and tim mcgraw, and maybe dwight yoakam..i listened to shania alot when i was living in ohio a couple of years ago. that was only because the town in ohio ( cambridge ) was rural and had honky-tonks, and the woman i was living with, was really into her. but calling shania "country" is like me calling myself tom cruise; she's basically a brunette britney spears. but a lot of her stuff is danceable, and and even the slower stuff is pretty. notice on some of the radio versions of her songs ( ex. still the one, that don't impress me much ) how different they are from the album versions. they changed them purposely so they could get played on pop radio. but as long as it sounds good, who cares? my personal favorite is " black eyes, blue tears. " a song about a woman getting out of a abusive relationship. the town in ohio i lived in was notorious for women staying in those kinds of relationships. and my then-girlfriend worked with battered women. shania has her moments. i just hope next time around she gets more creative

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 476 | Next ›

Come On Over
Come On Over by Shania Twain (Audio CD - 1997)